NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 108 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
But if the symptoms are what make you feel like crap... then I would rather not have the symptoms. I would say if you are a carrier and don't get the symptoms, then it's obviously bad for other people but not really bad for you if you can just go on with your day and feel normal. I would say that's a good immune system as it means it's not overreacting but still keeping the virus from doing you any noticeable harm.

To me being sick is feeling like crap. It's kinda like how some people say they get sick if they get the flu shot, yeah "technically" they arn't sick because they don't have the virus, but they are still getting all the symptoms and feel like crap, so it's the same as far as they're concerned.

Reactions: killster1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Seems ridiculous that people are so hung up on stupid sporting events. Who cares if this year we don't determine a 'winner' for various sports? Maybe give it a miss for one year? In fact maybe if all these contests get cancelled this year, people will realise it doesn't actually matter whether we determine who is the best at running or kicking a ball around? We don't actually need to know! Nothing disastrous will happen if we fail to find out.
Gotta say, my interest in sports is as low as it's been for at least 20 years right now. And yeah, maybe not a bad thing. This epidemic has my attention!

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
But if the symptoms are what make you feel like crap... then I would rather not have the symptoms. I would say if you are a carrier and don't get the symptoms, then it's obviously bad for other people but not really bad for you if you can just go on with your day and feel normal. I would say that's a good immune system as it means it's not overreacting but still keeping the virus from doing you any noticeable harm.

To me being sick is feeling like crap. It's kinda like how some people say they get sick if they get the flu shot, yeah "technically" they arn't sick because they don't have the virus, but they are still getting all the symptoms and feel like crap, so it's the same as far as they're concerned.
Some from the cruise ship say they tested positive, but felt like they had a cold. That was it. That's 80% of the cases.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You cannot just look at the number of deaths vs infections and say their health care system is to blame. It all comes down to the age of the people that have died. People over 60 are far more likely to have complications. If we looked at the nursing home in Washington state and the number of workers/residents in that nursing home, the death rate would be extremely high because of the number of 60+ year old people.

Just to note, most of the deaths from the Spanish Flu came in the 20 - 40 year old range which is why it was so deadly.
I saw that in the ~40 minute documentary on it on Youtube. It's a curious thing. Why was the death rate highest in th 20-40 YO age range? So different from this covid-19 epidemic.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wife found sanitizer in stock at Staples in Canada, she bought 170 oz. of it. Good wife ! It's One Step brand, 70% ethyl alcohol

Edit: I went back and cleared the shelf for another 128 oz :D. Thx Staples !
Don't think there's any around here. I've never bought any, not sure I've ever used any. I'm taking a spray bottle of 70% rubbing alcohol with me tomorrow to a risk location. Hope it gives some protection when sprayed and then wiped with a tissue???

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I honestly think some people are actually scared/worried, but trying to find a way to not be, like convincing themselves that somehow this isn't as bad as it is.

Yeah we're not at the point of cannibalism but yes, this is a bad virus, it's one that will be documented and talked about for another century, just like Spanish Flu.
The Youtube documentary about the Spanish Flu is harrowing to put it mildly. But the word I got (maybe at the end of the doc) is that the death rate is now reckoned at ~1%, which may not be all that different from covid-19. It's hard to know how this is going to shake out.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
The Youtube documentary about the Spanish Flu is harrowing to put it mildly. But the word I got (maybe at the end of the doc) is that the death rate is now reckoned at ~1%, which may not be all that different from covid-19. It's hard to know how this is going to shake out.

That's because the advances in medicine since 1918 are enabling lots of people who are / were in intensive care due to severe breathing problems to survive: if, as an exercise, you count those as "dead", then the "mortality rate" would be much MUCH higher.

The percentage of those infected that require hospitalization to survive COVID-19 is NOT to be underestimated and is in fact the reason hospitals are going to be overwhelmed, @ which point, the ACTUAL death rate will climb steeply.

EDIT

This is ALREADY happening in Italy, where they are faced with triaging WHO TO TREAT due to scarcity of the required medical equipment because ALL the equipment that they have is ALREADY being used for COVID-19 but, since the amount of people requiring it is SO HIGH, they are being forced to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmv

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Would actually be pretty sweet if through this they found having people work from home is better somehow and it becomes a normal thing. Need to invest in 3 4k monitors though but I'd be willing to if it meant working from home most/all the time. I would move somewhere cheaper to live.
A year ago I bought three 43" 4k 60hz TCL Roku TV/Monitors, price averaging around $215. First was through Rakuten, the other two a Costco special. I love 'em. OK monitors, great for me for TV because the Roku function in combination with 16GB flash drive slot supports a limited set of timeshifting (90 minutes, REW/PAUSE/FF). Can't program it to turn on though, and changing channels wipes out the buffer. No direct access to a specific channel via the remote, but I can accept those limitations (have to!).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The percentage of those infected that require hospitalization to survive COVID-19 is NOT to be underestimated and is in fact the reason hospitals are going to be overwhelmed, @ which point, the ACTUAL death rate will climb steeply.
Which is why I'm not so worried right now, but may be much more careful in coming weeks. I'm 76 (good health!) but figure I'm still more vulnerable than most. If things get really crazy here I may just lock myself in the house for a month... or more.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I would say if you are a carrier and don't get the symptoms, then it's obviously bad for other people but not really bad for you if you can just go on with your day and feel normal.
That's not a conscientious thing to do. If you are contagious you should make every effort not to pass the virus onto others.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Which is why I'm not so worried right now, but may be much more careful in coming weeks. I'm 76 (good health!) but figure I'm still more vulnerable than most. If things get really crazy here I may just lock myself in the house for a month... or more.
According to news reports, most if not all of Italy's COVID-19's fatalities are 50+ years old so you SHOULD be concerned.

It doesn't matter if one is or isn't in good health because older people generally have less resistance to this sort of disease. Obviously, those that have health problems besides COVID-19 are much more @ risk, regardless of age.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
But he doesn't know he was contagious,because no one test him...
He said if a person is a carrier but not symptomatic they can go on about their business and be fine. Not the same as not knowing.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
This is ALREADY happening in Italy, where they are faced with triaging WHO TO TREAT due to scarcity of the required medical equipment because ALL the equipment that they have is ALREADY being used for COVID-19 but, since the amount of people requiring it is SO HIGH, they are being forced to do it.

If you want to read the recommendation it is here (in Italian of course, you can use google translate)

China is sending Doctors and equipment to Italy to help. Many predictions that UK and Germany are going to be in the same situation in 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: H T C

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I saw that in the ~40 minute documentary on it on Youtube. It's a curious thing. Why was the death rate highest in th 20-40 YO age range? So different from this covid-19 epidemic.

Yeah, interesting question. I gather that all these epidemics are different like that, attack different age groups. I'd guess it has something to do with levels of immunity? (Maybe older people had been exposed to something vaguely similar in the distant past?). Or is it something else?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
00UDmMc.jpg

Nov 8, 2012
Honestly no matter how hard countries are trying, this is overall incredibly fucking dumb.

Was just watching the news and seeing places like Poland where they are stopping things like buses and testing everyone.... Except it isn't actually testing everyone for the virus - it looks like just testing for SYMPTOMS with things like head thermometers to see if they show signs and THEN potentially testing them.

We already established that it takes a while to show signs - and we also already established that people can be carriers.

It just seems dumb and pointless.

Reactions: Captante

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If you want to read the recommendation it is here (in Italian of course, you can use google translate)

China is sending Doctors and equipment to Italy to help. Many predictions that UK and Germany are going to be in the same situation in 1-2 weeks.

France and Spain also.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Honestly no matter how hard countries are trying, this is overall incredibly fucking dumb.

Was just watching the news and seeing places like Poland where they are stopping things like buses and testing everyone.... Except it isn't actually testing everyone for the virus - it looks like just testing for SYMPTOMS with things like head thermometers to see if they show signs and THEN potentially testing them.

We already established that it takes a while to show signs - and we also already established that people can be carriers.

It just seems dumb and pointless.
I guess it would look like that to you, since its about that middle ground, nuance, the grey, non black or white perception filter :). They are trying to flatten the curve, the growth rate... not the total number of infected but the peak number of infected... so the health care pros can keep up. We have been over this a 10 times already.