NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 784 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yep same here. Except it caught me in Crete last week. Missed some cool activities we had planned. Oh well.
Yeah, I missed the ren faire, a jam session, and postponed a mountain climb. Might be doing the last one at the tail end of August now.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Mask-use is down to MAYBE 20% around here now which is kind of dumb since New Haven county (CT) is currently over 12% daily-positivity.

We are in serious trouble if a new more dangerous variant that also can spread the way Omicron does pops up.

Reactions: KMFJD

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Mask-use is down to MAYBE 20% around here now which is kind of dumb since New Haven county (CT) is currently over 12% daily-positivity.

We are in serious trouble if a new more dangerous variant that also can spread the way Omicron does pops up.
Not much masking here with our 16.6% rate either (that's actually down from 17.something% the last couple weeks)

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I don't think mask use is anywhere near as high as 20% in Tallahassee and that's with a greater than 25% positivity.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I don't think mask use is anywhere near as high as 20% in Tallahassee and that's with a greater than 25% positivity.

To be fair I'm only "selectively" masking-up myself at this point. In fact the only time I've been bothering is at the supermarket where there are a lot of people in close-quarters.

Reactions: pmv

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Even walking down a street, people wear a fucking mask here....no complaining, no whinging, it's just understood that it's for the greater good.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
twitter.com
I sometimes see people riding a bike wearing a mask lol, or driving alone with one. Can't help but laugh, but freedom of choice, as long as they don't try to force it on me I don't care.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Symptoms are just a moderate cold so far and easily handled by OTC meds. Yay vaccines!
Before the vaccines I took no chances at all. I'm way cavalier now relative to that but I still shy away from strangers indoors, even though masked, it's almost a reflex. AFAIK, I have never contracted any strain of covid. My 2nd Moderna booster was 4 months ago so I figure I am smart to be cautious. After my fall booster I figure to maybe get back in the gym.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Entry to anything here requires a mask still, there’s even armed roadblocks making sure everyone going into town is masked. Just walking my down the street or even riding a bike everyone is masked up, no whining about it either

• Wow
Reactions: Red Squirrel

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I'm currently in the Philippines, the armed road blocks i have only seen in Davao , did not see those in other parts of the Philippines. It's just a quick 1-2 second check to make sure everyone has a mask and your off (it's not really an issue since everyone appears to be masked anyways while driving with passengers) The only time you don't see people masked is when eating or when in a remote area (like a 2 hour drive out of the city into the mountains)

There's also armed guards at mall entrances mildly checking the underside of cars for bombs and the walking entrances for guns(?) - that i have seen all over the Philippines although the security is taken way more seriously here in Davao.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Wow, that takes me back, I hadn't thought about the underside bomb checking of cars since the 90s when we lived in Germany.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
twitter.com
Seems pretty over the top security over a silly mask lol. The Tiktok and Twitter "doctors" would be in heaven over there though! lol.

Masks are still required in medical settings here but it's fairly lax now, saw a few people take theirs off when I was at the hospital and no one gave them trouble. When this first started they were actually stopping you at the door one person at a time to give you a mask and questioning why you were there.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
^^ that must be why the canadian medical system is falling apart while it's fully functioning here?

overworked and underpaid workers constantly fighting to take care of shit that could be prevented by 'wearing a silly cloth mask'

fygm is a disease

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Tell you one thing if I had to work retail and be face to face with people all day long I would be masking up literally forever.... people are gross.

As it stands now though I'm not bothering with one anyplace I won't be spending extended time (over 15 min) in close proximity to others indoors.

Reactions: nakedfrog

ASK THE COMMUNITY