NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 633 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I figured as much. It's going to be N+%, basically average plus whatever percent of local military leadership is already mandating it.
70% is way above average. It may be N+% for the guard and reserves, however. I would expect the weekend warriors to be more along with the national average. My guess is that those working the front-lines for COVID relief and vaccination centers may have gotten the vaccines sooner and those in the Navy/Marines working on boats in close quarters probably lined up.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
How is it only now they are making it mandatory? I thought in the military these things are not a discussion, you get it or get court martialed.

Don't you have to also get like a hundred other shots when joining the army? Strange this wasn't mandated sooner.

Reactions: Muse

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
How is it only now they are making it mandatory? I thought in the military these things are not a discussion, you get it or get court martialed.

Don't you have to also get like a hundred other shots when joining the army? Strange this wasn't mandated sooner.
It helps to not make it look like the govt is only taking care of their own first. For non-delta, most military members were reasonably protected from serious symptoms due to just being younger. It makes a lot of sense to do it now.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It is even more vague than that. The goal is to add it to the list by mid-September-ish, or whenever it gets full FDA approval, or whenever deemed necessary by the Defense Secretary, whichever comes first.

Rumors are full FDA approval will come end of August to early September. So, that is likely to be the earliest date.
That would be Pfizer only, IIRC.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

It is illegal to force the military to undergo investigational medical treatment or be subjected to experimental drugs. This includes any emergency use authorization vaccines such as the covid vaccines. Any member of the military can voluntarily be subject to them (they must provide prior consent), but cannot be forced. They can be forced to take vaccines that are FDA approved, however.

The only exceptions are if the president declares in writing that it is in the interest of national security to waive the law. For political reasons, neither Trump nor Biden wanted to do so.

In the case of the administration of an investigational new drug or a drug unapproved for its applied use to a member of the armed forces in connection with the member’s participation in a particular military operation, the requirement that the member provide prior consent to receive the drug

In a few weeks, when the FDA approves a Covid vaccine, that law no longer applies since that vaccine is no longer under emergency use authorization. The military can then force members to take it.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Early look at Israel's booster campaign seems to indicate benefits vs Delta

If that trend holds true, then it’s a must have for high risk individuals this year. Maybe the gen pop next year. I really hope we can bring fully the vaccinated total up to 70% (or better) by the end of the year. We are in dire need of higher vaccine rates. In my state of New Hampshire, our vaccination rate has almost gone flat :(

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
In my state of New Hampshire, our vaccination rate has almost gone flat :(
I'm not from NH, but I've noticed a very strong 'don't tell me what to do' attitude here. But even with that, NH is still in the top 10 for full vaccination, so yay?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

This fucking clown. Good on the school districts.

Eh, the only thing that would help is the vaccine. It's too late now for that to make a difference. By the time they get through the shots, Delta will have blown the areas where it's hitting right now including Texas.

Pols want to look like they are doing something about it even though there's nothing they really can do other than promote the vaccine.

Reactions: Captante

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

This fucking clown. Good on the school districts.

Maybe more people would want to come help if their asshole governor was willing to implement the most basic of safety measures to reduce the risk.

Reactions: Zorba and Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Eh, the only thing that would help is the vaccine. It's too late now for that to make a difference. By the time they get through the shots, Delta will have blown the areas where it's hitting right now including Texas.

Pols want to look like they are doing something about it even though there's nothing they really can do other than promote the vaccine.
Masks will help, and as noted are a right now measure whereas the vaccines take weeks to come into full effect. Biden's right, Abbott and DeSantis, since they refuse to help should get out of the way.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Is that a "booster shot" or just a 3rd Pfizer or Moderna shot and they don't let on that they already had two? I suppose the latter because AFAIK there are no approved boosters at this time, just experimental formulations, presumably in testing. Or are Pfizer and Moderna providing updated vaccines, i.e. with tweaked mRNA as regular vaccine, not officially boosters?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Is that a "booster shot" or just a 3rd Pfizer or Moderna shot and they don't let on that they already had two? I suppose the latter because AFAIK there are no approved boosters at this time, just experimental formulations, presumably in testing. Or are Pfizer and Moderna providing updated vaccines, i.e. with tweaked mRNA as regular vaccine, not officially boosters?

People went and got third shots of the original vaccines. Updated (for Delta) vaccines are only now entering testing and are not available to the public.

I've seen a bit of doctors sending people to get 3rd shots if they are immune compromised or particularly elderly. Some others in those groups are probably choosing to do it on their own as well. In neither case is the receiver likely to disclose their first two shots and few places are checking the state databases.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm not from NH, but I've noticed a very strong 'don't tell me what to do' attitude here. But even with that, NH is still in the top 10 for full vaccination, so yay?
If we are in the top 10, then that is very sad. So not yay, yet at least. Northern NH probably has the highest % of they 'we really mean - Live free or Die' types. They also have the highest infection rates per population - though the entire northern half of the state probably only has 1/10 the population.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
That's actually how the military operates. Directive comes from on high, gets disseminated to leadership at the local level, who enforces it by the enforcement date, whatever that happens to be. Distribution is only required to truly remote locations (the rest can rely on the local economy), and we can have an aircraft landing in any country in the world in 24 hours. Yeah it'll take time, but 45 days is more than enough.
Yeah, the military is a fantastic example of "shit rolls downhill". Your supervisor sure the hell doesn't want to have to explain why his troops didn't get vaccinated, and so on up the chain.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
People went and got third shots of the original vaccines. Updated (for Delta) vaccines are only now entering testing and are not available to the public.

I've seen a bit of doctors sending people to get 3rd shots if they are immune compromised or particularly elderly. Some others in those groups are probably choosing to do it on their own as well. In neither case is the receiver likely to disclose their first two shots and few places are checking the state databases.
So, the doctors are just telling certain at risk patients to go and get a 3rd shot and just not cop to the fact that they already had two?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Gotta figure out the right dosage after screwing up 12-15
I hadn't heard that was screwed up. Do you have an article for reference.

My understanding is that a typical influenza vaccine is 50% of an adult dose. I had heard that the plan for Covid was 33% of an adult dose. Having said that, I don't know if that was Pfizer, Moderna, or both.

What was the problem with Covid dosing?