NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 634 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I hadn't heard that was screwed up. Do you have an article for reference.

My understanding is that a typical influenza vaccine is 50% of an adult dose. I had heard that the plan for Covid was 33% of an adult dose. Having said that, I don't know if that was Pfizer, Moderna, or both.

What was the problem with Covid dosing?
There was a covid-19 vaccine, can't remember, maybe AstraZeneca, that it was accidentally discovered that 1/2 the second dose produced superior immunity than having both the same dose. That's for adults and that happened I'm thinking at least 8 months ago.

That's because different doses of the vaccine were used in the trial. Some volunteers were given shots half the planned strength. Yet that "wrong" dose turned out to be a winner.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Gotta figure out the right dosage after screwing up 12-15
They already down selected the dosing, just doing the phase 3 now. FDA though is wanting 6 months of phase 3 data instead of 2. So while we try to make the antivaxers happy, thousands of kids will get a trip to the ICU.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
There was a covid-19 vaccine, can't remember, maybe AstraZeneca, that it was accidentally discovered that 1/2 the second dose produced superior immunity than having both the same dose. That's for adults and that happened I'm thinking at least 8 months ago.

I was responding to the statement that dosing was messed up for 12-15 year olds. I hadn't heard anything about that. The statement made it sound as though there were unexpected side effects from too large of a dose....or an ineffective vaccine. Until I see a story about it from a valid source, I'm going to assume that the comment about dosing is unfounded anti-vax b.s. that's been repeated.... As far as AstraZeneca's vaccine goes, it's still not approved in the U.S..

Reactions: Muse

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
They already down selected the dosing, just doing the phase 3 now. FDA though is wanting 6 months of phase 3 data instead of 2.

I think it's because the CDC/FDA has been backed into a corner. They can't admit any failings of the vaccine. I'd expect them to cover up and/or downplay any issues. But stuff that hasn't been approved yet is fair game. They want to be absolutely sure they have the right dose for 5-11 because it's not being changed once approved. You'll notice that Moderna hasn't been approved for 12-15 yet either.

The J&J bamboozle was just to push people to get the mRNA vaccines instead and they kept it on the market because people saw through it.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I was responding to the statement that dosing was messed up for 12-15 year olds. I hadn't heard anything about that. The statement made it sound as though there were unexpected side effects from too large of a dose....or an ineffective vaccine. Until I see a story about it from a valid source, I'm going to assume that the comment about dosing is unfounded anti-vax b.s. that's been repeated.... As far as AstraZeneca's vaccine goes, it's still not approved in the U.S..
There is some thought, not sure if it's by anyone with authority though, that the myocarditis caused in teen boys may be a result of them using the full adult dose on the teens. As far as I know there has been no trials to prove out this hypothesis.

Dec 10, 2005
For all the talk of boosters and what not, we all need to remember the key point of this recent Vox article: breakthrough cases are a tiny fraction of the current pandemic. We just need people to get their fucking shot (and it can be any of them currently authorized for use).

Reactions: Zorba

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
There is some thought, not sure if it's by anyone with authority though, that the myocarditis caused in teen boys may be a result of them using the full adult dose on the teens. As far as I know there has been no trials to prove out this hypothesis.
I thought the myocarditis was a normal mild side effect of the vaccine. (I think it's like 1 in thousands (less than 1%) and temporary)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
In 2015, I got a call from my cousin who's 12 years older than me. He asked me if I would run a marathon with him 6 months later....I said, "Sure...." I hadn't ever run more than a 5k. 7 years before that, he had been diagnosed with Lymphoma and had chemo/radiation therapy. A month before the marathon, just before 2016, he developed vision problems and started seeing halos around street lights at night. Last year, during the covid lockdown, things got even worse. He started losing more vision, balance, and muscle mass in his legs. Doctors don't know what's going on and he hasn't had a diagnosis yet on what his issue is....tests for M.S. were negative and he's been labelled immunocompromised. I just got a call from my mother that he's in the hospital this morning and has been diagnosed with Covid.

He's been home for months because he can't walk very well anymore. He has 3 kids that returned to school this past week.

Just wanted to share and ask for prayers. We ran that damn marathon together and because it started in the dark, we ran with his hand on my shoulder for the first 10 miles. He's my cousin, but the closest thing to a brother I've ever had.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I thought the myocarditis was a normal mild side effect of the vaccine. (I think it's like 1 in thousands (less than 1%) and temporary)
Yeah, that is what I mean. Some people think it would have been alleviated if the dose had been lower in young teens. Again, it is just a hypothesis, but the companies all did decide to decrease the dose for kids.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
In 2015, I got a call from my cousin who's 12 years older than me. He asked me if I would run a marathon with him 6 months later....I said, "Sure...." I hadn't ever run more than a 5k. 7 years before that, he had been diagnosed with Lymphoma and had chemo/radiation therapy. A month before the marathon, just before 2016, he developed vision problems and started seeing halos around street lights at night. Last year, during the covid lockdown, things got even worse. He started losing more vision, balance, and muscle mass in his legs. Doctors don't know what's going on and he hasn't had a diagnosis yet on what his issue is....tests for M.S. were negative and he's been labelled immunocompromised. I just got a call from my mother that he's in the hospital this morning and has been diagnosed with Covid.

He's been home for months because he can't walk very well anymore. He has 3 kids that returned to school this past week.

Just wanted to share and ask for prayers. We ran that damn marathon together and because it started in the dark, we ran with his hand on my shoulder for the first 10 miles. He's my cousin, but the closest thing to a brother I've ever had.
I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you know if he is vaccinated? I think even the immunocompromised vaccinated people have been spared the worst outcomes.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm sorry to hear that.

Do you know if he is vaccinated? I think even the immunocompromised vaccinated people have been spared the worst outcomes.
Yes. He was vaccinated because he was a school teacher/football coach. He's been teaching from home, but I think his mobility and vision issues caused him to stay home this Fall.

Be careful folks....like I said, I'm sure his kids probably brought it home. They're somewhat intelligent people and not antimask.

Last Wednesday was the first day my wife saw covid cases rise in her office officially. 25% of her case load were COVID suspects. Of those that were tested, 75% of the tests came back positive. She was off Thursday and Monday....so I don't think she's seen another day like that since, but I'm expecting things to get even worse if idiots keep lying to the pre-screeners about their symptoms. (those covid suspects shouldn't have been allowed in her office because she sees elderly patients with chronic conditions)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Yes. He was vaccinated because he was a school teacher/football coach. He's been teaching from home, but I think his mobility and vision issues caused him to stay home this Fall.

Be careful folks....like I said, I'm sure his kids probably brought it home. They're somewhat intelligent people and not antimask.

Last Wednesday was the first day my wife saw covid cases rise in her office officially. 25% of her case load were COVID suspects. Of those that were tested, 75% of the tests came back positive. She was off Thursday and Monday....so I don't think she's seen another day like that since, but I'm expecting things to get even worse if idiots keep lying to the pre-screeners about their symptoms. (those covid suspects shouldn't have been allowed in her office because she sees elderly patients with chronic conditions)
Based on my experience, it is likely spread often occurs before perceived symptoms. That is why the virus is hard to control.

The reporting of asymptomatic is self-reporting in the moment. But sometimes, the symptoms are actually suppressed by the virus and the coughing arises after infection is through, which is what happened to me.

Reactions: Captante

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Based on my experience, it is likely spread often occurs before perceived symptoms. That is why the virus is hard to control.

The reporting of asymptomatic is self-reporting in the moment. But sometimes, the symptoms are actually suppressed by the virus and the coughing arises after infection is through, which is what happened to me.
My wife works in an internal medicine office. Basically, a bunch of PCP's that handle chronic care, diabetes, etc..

There's a guy sitting on a stool outside the office. When patients enter, he asks them pre-screening questions. If they answer yes to any of those questions, they're directed to do a rapid test in the parking lot (drive-thru). When patients get in the office, they fill out a worksheet. When they arrive in my wife's examination room, she asks them similar pre-screening questions as she has since last year. She's getting people that are falsly answering questions at the door and on the worksheet....only to answer the same screening questions in the examination room with a "Yes". That's what she (and not myself) are complaining about. The questions are supposed to help protect, not only her, but the other patients in the office.

She still wears a mask and goggles....no matter what. It's just disrespectful and selfish to not follow the protocols that are there to protect everyone. The office has been going through the motions since May. Things were getting somewhat relaxed after the vaccination rates jumped. Most patients in her office are over the age of 50, so most have had the vaccine available to them since February and others since March.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Google going to cut pay of employees who go fully remote. Some of it is kind of harsh too, article says that someone who lived in Stamford CT would see their pay cut 15% versus going into the office in NYC. If you paid CT's still very high income taxes versus NYC you'd get a bunch back but Stamford is not very cheap at all.

Nov 8, 2012

Google going to cut pay of employees who go fully remote. Some of it is kind of harsh too, article says that someone who lived in Stamford CT would see their pay cut 15% versus going into the office in NYC. If you paid CT's still very high income taxes versus NYC you'd get a bunch back but Stamford is not very cheap at all.

Meh, FAANG employees are vastly overpaid anyhow. So hopefully it brings people back to reality.

Glad to have an employer that doesn't care where I'm at as long as things get done.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Meh, FAANG employees are vastly overpaid anyhow. So hopefully it brings people back to reality.

Glad to have an employer that doesn't care where I'm at as long as things get done.
What's worse is the companies based in places like NYC and other cities that are hiking taxes to compensate for the workforce that left the cities. I'm sure there are some articles about that stuff.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Yeah, some of that seemed ridiculous. A ton of companies pay based on location, but for most companies it's for the whole metro, so all of the Seattle area would be the same salary, but Spokane would be lower.

I wonder what they'd do if you moved to a higher cost of living area.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

I think this is more Google's way of forcing employees back to the office. Whenever they decide to do so.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

That summary is a bit misleading. If you both (1) go remote and (2) move to a low cost of living location, then you get a pay cut. But if you only go remote yet live in an expensive area , then your pay is probably not cut at all. It is the moving to a low cost of living location that drives the pay cut, not the remote work.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
That summary is a bit misleading. If you both (1) go remote and (2) move to a low cost of living location, then you get a pay cut. But if you only go remote yet live in an expensive area , then your pay is probably not cut at all. It is the moving to a low cost of living location that drives the pay cut, not the remote work.
Yeah, but they are doing it hyperfocused. Cutting pay for someone in Kent or Everett vs the office in Seattle is ridiculous. Unless they already do that with satellite offices in the same metro, "The Manhattan office pays X, but the queens office pay 0.85*x"