NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 510 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
This has been addressed, again by Moncef Slaoui. The proteins in the 'spikes' have a specific chemical geometry needed to perform their function and, hence, are far less likely to change. The spikes are what are being targeted current vaccines. The changes in the RNA of the British strain of SARS-COV-2 are therefor immaterial in terms of vaccines. These changes are material to how those who are infected by this strain respond to and spread the virus.

One of the 17 mutations in the new British strain of the virus is on the spike protein.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
One of the 17 mutations in the new British strain of the virus is on the spike protein.
Okay, color me stupid - there have been over 4,000 mutations detected to date in the spike protein. The concerning variant is the N501Y mutation, if anyone wants to look it up or (VUI-202012/01). Most mutations in viruses and Bacteria are benign (detrimental mutations result in that strain dying off). Scientists don't seem worried yet and are monitoring all mutations closely. There is not enough data to determine if the suspected 70% higher infection rate is, in fact, a reality.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Several countries in EU and other areas are banning/restricting all flights from UK because of the new more "infectious" strain of the virus in the UK. US is thinking about it.

LA county is running out of beds in hospitals per NBC News.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Several countries in EU and other areas are banning/restricting all flights from UK because of the new more "infectious" strain of the virus in the UK. US is thinking about it.

LA county is running out of beds in hospitals per NBC News.
It hasn't been proven more to be more infectious yet. It 'might' be, there have been too few case to confirm yet.

Edit: great, I have a PDF by one group of scientists indicating there''s too little data and another article indicating that there have already been ~1400 cases of the new strain. Meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmv

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So Ford wants to lockdown all of Ontario on Christmas eve. Yeah fuck Christmas, but let people travel all over on cruises and resorts etc, and let big box stores open. I'm sure boxing day sales will be going as normal etc too. But spending time with your family is illegal.

I'll just walk so that my truck stays in the driveway. I imagine they'll be going around checking license plates to make sure the vehicles in driveways belong to that house.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Looking at this thread since ~Thursday, I see no mention of a very concerning new strain:

The new strain has it's own thread. Maybe we should look to merge it with this one.
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/superrona-in-the-uk.2588650/

So Ford wants to lockdown all of Ontario on Christmas eve. Yeah fuck Christmas, but let people travel all over on cruises and resorts etc, and let big box stores open. I'm sure boxing day sales will be going as normal etc too. But spending time with your family is illegal.

I'll just walk so that my truck stays in the driveway. I imagine they'll be going around checking license plates to make sure the vehicles in driveways belong to that house.
Christmas in July used to be a joke. Now, not so much. TBH, i wouldn't mind holding off celebrating till then but it's not going to happen :(

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would not really be against the idea of postponing it either honestly, but it would almost need to be a universal thing that everyone agrees on and that would be kind of hard to coordinate. Maybe even move it to April that way there's still snow on the ground and it still feels like Christmas. Lights and decorations would just stay up the whole time. Extended Christmas season. Workplaces would also need to give the new Christmas day off along with Boxing Day. Basically move this year's stats to whatever the days are celebrated. New Years Eve is kinda a tricky one, it's not exactly the same to celebrate that when it's not actually NYE, but could still move that too.

Actually I wonder how NYE will go this year, they better not allow the huge parties like the NYC ball drop after telling people they can't go spend time with their family. Still do the ball drop and maybe concerts but with no visitors.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What's going on in Alaska, why so many reactions to the vaccine?

Wonder if lack of vitamin D plays a role or something?

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
What's going on in Alaska, why so many reactions to the vaccine?

Wonder if lack of vitamin D plays a role or something?

Perhaps an unknown allergy to a component of the vaccine?

Many people are allergic to X without knowing and it will take an exposure to said X to trigger it: perhaps that's what happened here?

For example: many are allergic to bees, but they only find out if they get stung by one 1st, no?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Perhaps an unknown allergy to a component of the vaccine?

Many people are allergic to X without knowing and it will take an exposure to said X to trigger it: perhaps that's what happened here?

For example: many are allergic to bees, but they only find out if they get stung by one 1st, no?
Yes, but why specifically Alaska? The first allergic reaction to the vaccine in the USA was there too and I guess he doesn't think it's coincidence.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
There were also allergic reactions in England's vaccination campaign: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/09/...lergies-health-workers-uk-intl-gbr/index.html

There seems to be a difference to Alaska's case because, apparently, those affected didn't have known allergies.

Yes, I'm aware. Alaska is just where the first reaction was in the USA.

Everyone is monitored for 15 minutes with an Epipen or whatever on-hand so I don't think anyone ever thought that screening for people with known allergies was 100%. He just thinks it's might not be coincidence that Alaska had another so soon, which is why he's speculating about Vitamin D (they do get less sunlight there). I'm not so sure Vitamin D is involved in this case. It could even be a genetic predisposition in the small population... or coincidence.

Reactions: H T C

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

556k have gotten the first Pfizer shot so far. That's out of 2.8 million doses distributed. They certainly could be going a lot faster esp when Pfizer said they have plenty in the warehouse waiting.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

556k have gotten the first Pfizer shot so far. That's out of 2.8 million doses distributed. They certainly could be going a lot faster esp when Pfizer said they have plenty in the warehouse waiting.

Three thoughts about this:

1) CDC counts likely are not close to real time.

2) Vaccinations for healthcare staff probably have to be somewhat staggered.

3) The failure to properly define and obtain consent ahead of time for many nursing home residents has delayed the rollout in a lot of places.

Reactions: herm0016

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

3) The failure to properly define and obtain consent ahead of time for many nursing home residents has delayed the rollout in a lot of places.
Hopefully the real time counts are much better. If they can't pick up the speed with medical people, they should open up phase 1b. Better to get the shots in arms than spend weeks getting them into the right arms.

Again this side didn't seem to get near the attention it should have.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Yes, I'm aware. Alaska is just where the first reaction was in the USA.

Everyone is monitored for 15 minutes with an Epipen or whatever on-hand so I don't think anyone ever thought that screening for people with known allergies was 100%. He just thinks it's might not be coincidence that Alaska had another so soon, which is why he's speculating about Vitamin D (they do get less sunlight there). I'm not so sure Vitamin D is involved in this case. It could even be a genetic predisposition in the small population... or coincidence.
I believe the first two were at the same hospital in Alaska pretty close together. Makes me wonder if it was something else like the gloves or saline.

Reactions: CZroe

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005

reasoning skills are not allowed here. miss the memo?

Reactions: CZroe

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My wife is heading to a neighboring town to get vaccinated after work. I'm really surprised she's going to get it this quick. I'll report back with any side effects and whether or not the vaccine does anything to help with parvo or kennel cough.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Maybe even move it to April that way there's still snow on the ground

Not everyone lives in the frozen tundra! ;)

Seriously though 90% of my Christmas already IS cancelled. (and that last 10% isn't looking good) Sucks but considering the circumstances its the smart move.

:(

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I would not really be against the idea of postponing it either honestly, but it would almost need to be a universal thing that everyone agrees on and that would be kind of hard to coordinate. Maybe even move it to April that way there's still snow on the ground and it still feels like Christmas. Lights and decorations would just stay up the whole time. Extended Christmas season. Workplaces would also need to give the new Christmas day off along with Boxing Day. Basically move this year's stats to whatever the days are celebrated. New Years Eve is kinda a tricky one, it's not exactly the same to celebrate that when it's not actually NYE, but could still move that too.

Actually I wonder how NYE will go this year, they better not allow the huge parties like the NYC ball drop after telling people they can't go spend time with their family. Still do the ball drop and maybe concerts but with no visitors.
I wasn't thinking 'officially move Christmas to another date', just our family(& others if they wanted to) celebrate it later next year. Peoples heads would explode if someone "officially" moved it to another date.

And like Captante stated above, ours might be on hold too. Just found out today we have some infections in the family.