NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 305 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I heard that people were injesting bleach.

Why!! Oh God, why?? o_Oo_Oo_O
People be stupid!?!? (if it's true)

One thing I noticed that is weird (well not really weird given the circumstances) is how little mail we are getting. As in sort of junk, flyers, etc. I have informed delivery and this is the first time it will show one piece being delivered.
Still getting the same amount here. Want me to mail you my excess? :p

Grr... Watching TV commercials are even more annoying now than they were before the lockdown started. It's like one giant string of Coronavirus public service announcements and feel-good cheesiness.
"In these trying times..."
Feel free to use unprecedented or uncertain in place of "trying". I know there's more but they're not coming to me at the moment.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
30 calls to the poison control center in NYC on Friday vs. 13 from the same period of time last year:

Yea. That's just redicilous. Do you think Trump's comment had anything to do with this?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Why anyone would take health advise from any President is beyond me. Unless the sentence starts with "Doctors have assured me that..." or something close to that, I don't know, maybe listen to an actual doctor!

Reactions: snoopy7548
Nov 8, 2012
Why anyone would take health advise from any President is beyond me. Unless the sentence starts with "Doctors have assured me that..." or something close to that, I don't know, maybe listen to an actual doctor!
Meh, I'm always in favor of human progress through evolution.

Aren't lefties happy ? Isn't it his voters that are doing it?

Or really no one is doing it and everyone overblows every dumb thing that comes out of POTUS mouth (which is an endless stream).

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Meh, I'm always in favor of human progress through evolution.

Aren't lefties happy ? Isn't it his voters that are doing it?

Or really no one is doing it and everyone overblows every dumb thing that comes out of POTUS mouth (which is an endless stream).
The woman who ingested fish tank cleaner (with her husband who died) was an ardent Trump critic. This along with her Trump-bashing headlines since prompted some to speculate that she did it to off her husband and only took enough herself to get sick.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
German minister backs creating legal right to work from home

These are the kind of changes we need to start seeing as a result of this pandemic. It's not mandating it, but giving those who want the option to:
  • make less noise
  • produce less pollution
  • be exposed less to the spread of pathogens
  • save hours of your day longer commuting, which adds up to something like ~30 days worth of high quality day hours per year
  • save money on fuel and car wear and tear
  • and potentially live where you want if you are a full time remote employee
As someone who has been WFH for a couple of years now, I can say that WFH now is not the same as WFH during normal times. During normal times I'd be going local restaurants for lunch, taking my son to the park, going to the gym, or just going to the beach for 2-3 hours with my family to break up the day. Those are the hours I get back from not commuting. I really feel for the parents that have to put in 8 hours and take care of and maybe even school their children right now. That's just not a fair example at all of what WFH life is like.

Plus it'd be nice to stop having to explain why I refuse to commute with dumbfounded looks from prospective employers who can't fathom a decentralized work environment or because they're boomers who believe that working onsite = productive employee.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Bush and Obama almost exclusively let doctors and public health experts do all the talking when they faced stuff like this. Given how much of the country overwhelmingly trusts Fauci over Trump that was not only the wise move for public health but also the most politically savvy one.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018

These are the kind of changes we need to start seeing as a result of this pandemic. It's not mandating it, but giving those who want the option to:
  • make less noise
  • produce less pollution
  • save hours of your day longer commuting, which adds up to something like ~30 days worth of high quality day hours per year
As someone who has been WFH for a couple of years now, I can say that WFH now is not the same as WFH during normal times. During normal times I'd be going local restaurants for lunch, taking my son to the park, going to the gym, or just going to the beach for 2-3 hours with my family to break up the day. Those are the hours I get back from not commuting. I really feel for the parents that have to put in 8 hours and take care of and maybe even school their children right now. That's just not a fair example at all of what WFH life is like.

Plus it'd be nice to stop having to explain why I refuse to commute with dumbfounded looks from prospective employers who can't fathom a decentralized work environment or because they're boomers who believe that working onsite = productive employee.

It's a great sentiment , but what can you do?

Isolation is not the ideal path to advancing in your chosen field. The human experience won't disappear overnight.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Wyoming... is that red or blue? HMMMMMM.

The man bought Drano. For his family. To ingest...?

WHAT IS EVEN THIS WORLD?!?!?!

Hey... in all seriousness, it's always a good idea to keep a spare container of Drano around. You'll never know when you need it.

Nov 8, 2012

• make less noise
  • produce less pollution

Legal right to WFH?

Seems... weird... I mean, there are plenty that just can't do their job from home - or at least, some have expectations to be able to do things in person such as meet with people.

I would think it could also wreck certain industries - such as corporate buildings that are leased.... lunch places downtown that will have attendance plummet...

Don't get me wrong, I'm WFH at all times too. My employer doesn't even have an office in my city lol. I definitely do love it.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Not sure how to post this correctly, but Please click this link. Then go to the graph that looks like this.
1587921374099.png

The animation should start, but if not then click on the play button lower left. I think it is pretty interesting.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Niall is one of the few I always take the time to listen to.

I can't stand the guy, myself. Hard-right apologist for empire. Part of that whole right-wing revisionist nexus that are constantly promoted by the media. I detest him.
It's weird how many of the historians who get a high media profile are on the hard right. Roberts, Stone, Starkey, Vincent, Fergusson, pretty much all of them except Simon Schama, who seems to be a liberal centrist type. Max Hastings I suppose is a more moderate conservative.

But that's not representative of the profession as a whole, I'm told.

I don't listen to youtube videos posted on here. What, roughly, did he say?

PS pushing a Niall Fergusson video is hardly 'non political'.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I can't stand the guy, myself. Hard-right apologist for empire. Part of that whole right-wing revisionist nexus that are constantly promoted by the media. I detest him.
It's weird how many of the historians who get a high media profile are on the hard right. Roberts, Stone, Starkey, Vincent, Fergusson, pretty much all of them except Simon Schama, who seems to be a liberal centrist type. Max Hastings I suppose is a more moderate conservative.

But that's not representative of the profession as a whole, I'm told.

I don't listen to youtube videos posted on here. What, roughly, did he say?

PS pushing a Niall Fergusson video is hardly 'non political'.

Not really "pushing" just posting.

Agreed that he would have to be right of center, but no one is dead on up the middle, especially these days. I really chuckle at how this thread started out non-political then changed back and forth only to end up being loaded with extreme political statements. Then for someone to accuse another of pushing political views in this thread without even viewing the content. Laughable.

I found the vid to be a pretty good analysis of the covid crisis and not really political in that he comes down pretty hard on Trump as well as the left. Recap is we blew it, by not acting quickly and decisively and how the shut down will cause us pain for some time. Taiwan perhaps would be a model of good governance, at least with respect to this topic.

He also recommended review of the administration's handling of the crisis, similar to post 911. We need smart folks taking a hard look at things with an open mind if we are to have any success moving forward.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Agreed that he would have to be right of center, but no one is dead on up the middle, especially these days. I really chuckle at how this thread started out non-political then changed back and forth only to end up being loaded with extreme political statements. Then for someone to accuse another of pushing political views in this thread without even viewing the content. Laughable.

I found the vid to be a pretty good analysis of the covid crisis and not really political in that he comes down pretty hard on Trump as well as the left. Recap is we blew it, by not acting quickly and decisively and how the shut down will cause us pain for some time. Taiwan perhaps would be a model of good governance, at least with respect to this topic.

He also recommended review of the administration's handling of the crisis, similar to post 911. We need smart folks taking a hard look at things with an open mind if we are to have any success moving forward.

He's not just 'right of centre', he's a neo-con and neo-lib.

I don't watch youtube videos in the context of a discussion thread (unless they are very short and funny, maybe). A form of discussion based on the written word requires contirbutions in that form.

Edit - I admit that I kind of think the idea of a 'non political' discussion of this crisis is kind of self-contradictory. It is an inherently political event.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
He's not just 'right of centre', he's a neo-con and neo-lib.

I don't watch youtube videos in the context of a discussion thread (unless they are very short and funny, maybe). A form of discussion based on the written word requires contirbutions in that form.

Edit - I admit that I kind of think the idea of a 'non political' discussion of this crisis is kind of self-contradictory. It is an inherently political event.

Personally, I try not to label people, it just seems a little like name calling in second grade.

There are smart people on both sides who have good ideas to bring to the table, and sometimes it helps to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

Seems we have an overabundance of folks who want to cancel someone else without ever really listening to them. A short sound bite out of context can be really helpful if your goal is to label or cancel someone.

If you take the time to listen to someone speak for an hour on a topic you can pretty well determine what his take is on a position, even if it is a bit nuanced. Kind of the exact opposite of a sound bite, the intent of which is solely to trigger people. It can be highly effective, just not a productive learning experience.

Nov 8, 2012

No shit. Dismissing points based on (what you perceive) someones political affiliation to be.

The irony is sooooo juicy sweet.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Personally, I try not to label people, it just seems a little like name calling in second grade.

There are smart people on both sides who have good ideas to bring to the table, and sometimes it helps to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

Seems we have an overabundance of folks who want to cancel someone else without ever really listening to them. A short sound bite out of context can be really helpful if your goal is to label or cancel someone.

If you take the time to listen to someone speak for an hour on a topic you can pretty well determine what his take is on a position, even if it is a bit nuanced. Kind of the exact opposite of a sound bite, the intent of which is solely to trigger people. It can be highly effective, just not a productive learning experience.

No, I said I don't listen to youtube videos. You don't see me making a video of my points and then expecting people to sit down and watch it, do you? I write it in my own words. Asking people to watch videos of political idealogues giving a performance is an arrogant way to engage in discussions. It's putting people into one-down positions, forcing them to be your passive audience.

I've heard from Mr Ferguson for decades - he pops up in the media (and on the BBC particularly) very regularly. I can't stand the guy, he's the enemy, very firmly on the right. Hell, the first time I heard him actually speaking I was listening to the radio and thinking 'who is this berk, his arguments are deeply disengenuous' only at the end finding it was the same guy I already disliked in print (I have at least one book of his - an apology for Empire)

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
No, I said I don't listen to youtube videos. You don't see me making a video of my points and then expecting people to sit down and watch it, do you? I write it in my own words. Asking people to watch videos of political idealogues giving a performance is an arrogant way to engage in discussions. It's putting people into one-down positions, forcing them to be your passive audience.

I've heard from Mr Ferguson for decades - he pops up in the media (and on the BBC particularly) very regularly. I can't stand the guy, he's the enemy, very firmly on the right. Hell, the first time I heard him actually speaking I was listening to the radio and thinking 'who is this berk, his arguments are deeply disengenuous' only at the end finding it was the same guy I already disliked in print (I have at least one book of his - an apology for Empire)

Just curious, I imagine there have been a few YouTube's posted in these 305 pages. Have you taken anyone else to task?

I still hold that this is one of the better analyses of the covid crisis, that is why I posted it here. Everyone is free to watch or not watch.

I watched it in it's entirety.