NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 306 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Just curious, I imagine there have been a few YouTube's posted in these 305 pages. Have you taken anyone else to task?

I still hold that this is one of the better analyses of the covid crisis, that is why I posted it here. Everyone is free to watch or not watch.

I watched it in it's entirety.

Yup. I've had this same exchange at least three times now. At least once with someone I probably agree with about many things.

If you think the content is so good, you could have just summarised what about it you found so convincing. The little bit you said I probably wouldn't disagree with, but then, that the Western ruling elites have not performed well is not in itself a particularly great insight. My suspicion is that the UK and US are shaping up to be worse than Italy. But I also suspect Sweden has gotten it badly wrong as well. Their chief epidemiologist keeps insisting 'the curve is flattening', but the deaths continue to mount.

I did watch the first 10 seconds, which was all snide remarks about climate change, and I recall you are on the anti-science side of that topic as well, no?

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Yup. I've had this same exchange at least three times now. At least once with someone I probably agree with about many things.

If you think the content is so good, you could have just summarised what about it you found so convincing. The little bit you said I probably wouldn't disagree with, but then, that the Western ruling elites have not performed well is not in itself a particularly great insight. My suspicion is that the UK and US are shaping up to be worse than Italy. But I also suspect Sweden has gotten it badly wrong as well. Their chief epidemiologist keeps insisting 'the curve is flattening', but the deaths continue to mount.

I did watch the first 10 seconds, which was all snide remarks about climate change, and I recall you are on the anti-science side of that topic as well, no?

So taking people to task for posting YouTube's is kind of your thing then I guess. To each their own.

I was not going to summarize it at all, sorry it was not long enough for you. No good deed goes unpunished. Guaranteed will not happen again.

Anti-science side? Good one. Able to accomplish the effect of name calling without actually name calling.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Legal right to WFH?

Seems... weird... I mean, there are plenty that just can't do their job from home - or at least, some have expectations to be able to do things in person such as meet with people.

I would think it could also wreck certain industries - such as corporate buildings that are leased.... lunch places downtown that will have attendance plummet...

Don't get me wrong, I'm WFH at all times too. My employer doesn't even have an office in my city lol. I definitely do love it.

Legal right to WFH for jobs that are capable. So this doesn't apply to jobs in construction, field work, etc. I know it sounds weird to make it a legal right for those jobs that can, but unfortunately that is probably the only way to make things stick moving forward since we know most (power abusive) employers don't like their employees working remotely. And this guy recognizes that.

As far as commercial leases go, one large centralized location could be replaced with smaller decentralized satellite offices/hubs. That could be a good middle ground to one centralized office vs WFH. But again this probably doesn't happen unless remote work becomes a legal right and forces employers to change for the long run.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Did a curbside pickup at Home Depot for a few items to fix some stuff in the house since I now have plenty of free time. Pretty impressed at the 100% mask compliance I saw even though the city/county has mandated it for public spaces (I expected some people to not listen). HD had customers waiting to enter lined up in front under tents since they were limiting the capacity of the store. Everything nice and orderly.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Really hated the one last Christmas where the father and children were trying to hide the giant bow from the wife/mom.

...as if people actually think giant bows are a thing for car gift surprises or whatever when they couldn't even be bothered to make a real one for the commercial. That's right: it was obviously computer-generated. If they want us to think that's a thing then the least they could do is make one for the commercial. Seriously: where would you get one even if you did think it was normal to surprise someone with a luxury car?!

It always bothered me too but by happenstance we were looking for a car around Christmas so I did the whole red bow thing
20191125_194430.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Funny enough when my dad bought my mom a Neon in the late 90's there was a giant bow on it haha. Man crazy to think how long ago that was. Those Neons were really popular for a while actually. The car before that was a two door Chrysler, I don't remember the model now, that's going to bug me I'll have to find it. :p

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Meanwhile here in Canada they're dumping milk and potatoes because there's a surplus. Such waste. Too bad they can't at least donate or something, but there's lot of weird laws when it comes to that.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Meanwhile here in Canada they're dumping milk and potatoes because there's a surplus. Such waste. Too bad they can't at least donate or something, but there's lot of weird laws when it comes to that.
Yeah there was an article not long ago about American farmers doing the same thing.
It reminded me of a documentary I saw in junior high about farmers dumping milk during the great depression. oh and at the end of the film they said things were in place to ensure America could never have another great depression.
I didnt believe it then and I believe it even less today.

Dec 10, 2005
German minister backs creating legal right to work from home

These are the kind of changes we need to start seeing as a result of this pandemic. It's not mandating it, but giving those who want the option to:
  • make less noise
  • produce less pollution
  • be exposed less to the spread of pathogens
  • save hours of your day longer commuting, which adds up to something like ~30 days worth of high quality day hours per year
  • save money on fuel and car wear and tear
  • and potentially live where you want if you are a full time remote employee
As someone who has been WFH for a couple of years now, I can say that WFH now is not the same as WFH during normal times. During normal times I'd be going local restaurants for lunch, taking my son to the park, going to the gym, or just going to the beach for 2-3 hours with my family to break up the day. Those are the hours I get back from not commuting. I really feel for the parents that have to put in 8 hours and take care of and maybe even school their children right now. That's just not a fair example at all of what WFH life is like.

Plus it'd be nice to stop having to explain why I refuse to commute with dumbfounded looks from prospective employers who can't fathom a decentralized work environment or because they're boomers who believe that working onsite = productive employee.
WFH has been great for me: I've been doing it for over a year and a half. Started as an office worker, then convinced my company to let me WFH, as I wanted to move to another state to join my fiance (now wife), who was attending graduate school at the time.

Remote working for us solves the issue of the 2-body problem that often arises for many couples: the potential to be tied down to two different and incompatible geographic locations. I can work wherever I have an internet connection, which grants my partner the freedom to choose a job or graduate/professional program that works best for her.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Ruh roh:

"Catching Covid-19 once may not protect you from getting it again, according to the World Health Organization, a finding that could jeopardize efforts to allow people to return to work after recovering from the virus. “There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from Covid-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection,” the United Nations agency said in an April 24 statement."

Well, dang.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Ruh roh:

"Catching Covid-19 once may not protect you from getting it again, according to the World Health Organization, a finding that could jeopardize efforts to allow people to return to work after recovering from the virus. “There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from Covid-19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection,” the United Nations agency said in an April 24 statement."

Well, dang.
Are you somehow reading more certainty into that statement than it actually implies?

"No evidence of [...]" just means "Do not assume [...]"

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
  • Haha
Reactions: Ichinisan

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm already developing my taste for human flesh! Cannibalism is going to be the way forward, IMO.
only briefly.
we will run out of human meat suprisingly fast and the handful of leftover humans will be very cautious of each other, not get near each other, and starve to death.
Americans produce and consume food CONSTANTLY. There are no giant warehouses filled with edible material. When a grocery store stops getting deliveries it empties very fast. just ask a grocery store worker.
If our food production and delivery fails, or dies, we are gonna be in loads of trouble.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Are you somehow reading more certainty into that statement than it actually implies?

"No evidence of [...]" just means "Do not assume [...]"

2 issues currently:

1. No proof (yet) that you can't get re-infected. So it's just a maybe yes, maybe no right now. Plus we don't know about future mutations!

2. "At least 222 people have tested positive for the virus again after recovering, and experts are not sure why." https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020...ary-patients-south-korea-200426235141488.html

This means one of two things:

1. You can get re-infected (from the same and/or different strain)

and/or

2. There is a remission period, after which the virus re-activates

Right now, they think there may be a remission period, because the virus moves into your intestines after you get better the first time & then back up into your respiratory tract. It also seems to stick around for a long time:

The problem with getting solid information in the middle of the pandemic is that things change so quickly, so there aren't many firm answers other than "you'll probably get the coronavirus at some point, and maybe you'll die from it".

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Colorado and Nevada are joining the Western States Pact to coordinate actions with CA/OR/WA.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This means one of two things:

1. You can get re-infected (from the same and/or different strain)

and/or

2. There is a remission period, after which the virus re-activates

Right now, they think there may be a remission period, because the virus moves into your intestines after you get better the first time & then back up into your respiratory tract. It also seems to stick around for a long time:

A third possibility being considered is that leftover genetic material is being detected even though there is not an active infection.

It's most likely 2 or 3 or even perhaps a combination of them. Hard to know but it really doesn't look like 1 is happening. Regardless it does not appear that these people are contagious.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
Colorado and Nevada are joining the Western States Pact to coordinate actions with CA/OR/WA.

I don't know any of the details, but the basic plan seems to make a lot of sense. Surely they have a different map out of this than New York / New Jersey.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Get those vacuum sealers out!

I'll believe it when I see it. I went to Costco this morning and meat fridges were packed full with beef, pork, and chicken. For pork, Costco switched to Swift instead of Smithfield. Everything else looked to same. I think people have enough food and stopped hoarding.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don't know any of the details, but the basic plan seems to make a lot of sense. Surely they have a different map out of this than New York / New Jersey.

I think they all see pretty eye to eye and while the virus is a big problem they don't have the enormous hole to dig out of that the east coast does and they want to keep it that way. I expect reopening provisions to be timed and somewhat consistent across those states. Likely nobody will approve any large events that gather a bunch of people from either other states in the group or the nation at large.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Abbott is announcing that the TX stay at home will be allowed to expire April 30. Retail, malls, restaurants, etc allowed to 25% occupancy after that. Personal care facilities (gyms, barbers, etc) to remain closed.

It is likely that cities and counties will keep restrictions in effect for longer though. TX county judges wield a lot of power. Edit: oh he's saying it supersedes local orders...not sure about that one.

Nov 8, 2012

Seems silly....

This is a pandemic that VERY FUCKING CLEARLY highlights the differences by location.

The more dense - the more you need to social distance.

The less dense, the more you can relax a bit.

It's incredibly fucking dumb to join hands and make rules based on what a "majority" perceives instead of what the individual places need.

But hey - most of those states are dumb as shit, exceed records with homeless population, and have their working folks leaving in droves.