NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 304 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
bear bile is good for you! Ursodeoxycholic_acid its not snake oil. idk about curing covid because i havnt tried it yet :p doesnt sound like it will work but prob wont hurt your recovery hah
Is bile from a bear fundamentally different than from another carnivorous mammal? I would still expect it to be sterilized.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Is bile from a bear fundamentally different than from another carnivorous mammal? I would still expect it to be sterilized.
they just produce more then other animals its all the same. im sure its totally uneeded for 99% of what they use it for. but it does have uses to help dissolve gallstones and treat liver disease

Nov 8, 2012
gators in Florida are running all over the roads, fucking, attacking the rare car that rushes by.

In states like TX you always hear about what happens when dumbass deer run in the middle of the road and get run over... we all know it can be deadly for the driver/passengers...

But what happens when you run over a gator? Just a bump in the road?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The reason doesn't have anything to do with wealth flexing. It's "traditional Chinese medicine" bullshit. TCM is pervasive throughout China. They believe you need to eat specific animals or parts of animals to cure specific ailments. Often they say it should be eaten raw. The government and medical professionals even endorse stuff like bear bile. They actually farm bears for bile! It's basically the same idea as "snake oil."

I would have assumed that there would be a certain drift from 'TCM benefits' to 'high status consumption'. i.e. if something is supposed to do you good in TCM, and it's rare or hard to come-by, it would inevitably tend to become a high-status food. Perhaps particularly for anything associated with sexual potency?
That's just based on ideas about human nature in general though, not any specific knowledge of China.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I would have assumed that there would be a certain drift from 'TCM benefits' to 'high status consumption'. i.e. if something is supposed to do you good in TCM, and it's rare or hard to come-by, it would inevitably tend to become a high-status food. Perhaps particularly for anything associated with sexual potency?
That's just based on ideas about human nature in general though, not any specific knowledge of China.
There is this notion that you gain the "chi" (essence) of a powerful animal by eating it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Damn this is sad. Wonder if we're going to see more of this. :( This lockdown will start to have some serious mental health effects on some people. Though I have to say at that age I would have been in heaven, not having to go to school? Sign me up! But I guess when it's for that long and you don't know how long it will be for and you can't even go see your friends it's different.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Depends on how big. Armadillos can wreck older suspension (modern ones probably less so) and a gator can be a lot bigger. It's basically like running over a human, so at minimum you're talking superficial damage, at the highway speeds you may end up flipping a vehicle/losing control.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Damn this is sad. Wonder if we're going to see more of this. :( This lockdown will start to have some serious mental health effects on some people. Though I have to say at that age I would have been in heaven, not having to go to school? Sign me up! But I guess when it's for that long and you don't know how long it will be for and you can't even go see your friends it's different.
I cannot help but realize there's a fundamental difference in people that we're not really noticing until now. I'm quite seriously having the time of my life, and I'm just soaking in every moment until things 'go back to normal' and I have to recommit to a 9-5. I'm WFH, gardening, farming, doing home maintenance, working out, watching awesome shit, spending time with my SO, and generally enjoying life. I cannot fathom how people can be pushed 'over the edge' by this, it just seems nuts to me :(

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Depends on how big. Armadillos can wreck older suspension (modern ones probably less so) and a gator can be a lot bigger. It's basically like running over a human, so at minimum you're talking superficial damage, at the highway speeds you may end up flipping a vehicle/losing control.

A large gator can be huge.

A male alligator is between 11 to 15 feet long and can weight up to nearly 1,000 pounds.

Hit one of those bad boys and you are going to total your car at anywhere close to a highway speed.

1587864591079.png

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I cannot help but realize there's a fundamental difference in people that we're not really noticing until now. I'm quite seriously having the time of my life, and I'm just soaking in every moment until things 'go back to normal' and I have to recommit to a 9-5. I'm WFH, gardening, farming, doing home maintenance, working out, watching awesome shit, spending time with my SO, and generally enjoying life. I cannot fathom how people can be pushed 'over the edge' by this, it just seems nuts to me :(

Me too. Sadly I return to work tomorrow night... :(

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Grr... Watching TV commercials are even more annoying now than they were before the lockdown started. It's like one giant string of Coronavirus public service announcements and feel-good cheesiness.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
A male alligator is between 11 to 15 feet long and can weight up to nearly 1,000 pounds.
Seen 'em. My in-laws live on Hilton Head Island where those damned things just roam around on the golf courses like they own the place (Narrator: they do). More than a few pets and people have been killed by being goddamned idiots about actual dinosaurs living around them.

Me too. Sadly I return to work tomorrow night... :(
Stay safe, shits still fucked up regardless of how retarded some people are being.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Grr... Watching TV commercials are even more annoying now than they were before the lockdown started. It's like one giant string of Coronavirus public service announcements and feel-good cheesiness.

I like the car commercials.

"We care, so buy a car from us because we care about you."

Reactions: Meghan54

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Seen 'em. My in-laws live on Hilton Head Island where those damned things just roam around on the golf courses like they own the place (Narrator: they do). More than a few pets and people have been killed by being goddamned idiots about actual dinosaurs living around them.

Stay safe, shits still fucked up regardless of how retarded some people are being.

Yes they are dangerous if you're ignorant of the dangers and how to act around them. I grew up in Florida, coastal Georgia and now live in coastal SC.

A pet on a leash walking along a bank at the river or lake is like a marshmallow on a string.

Safe yes! Working the third shift, minimal people, and N95 Mask and nitrile gloves provided and required to be worn by all employees. Along with safe distancing.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Shit I think everybody should go out and buy a new car!

<<<< Works at a tier 1 automotive supplier. :)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Yeah for me I'm oddly kinda enjoying this, but I also consider myself fortunate that I live alone (no wife constantly wanting me for something, or screaming kids) and that I still have a job. I work partially from home so while I was working from home it was great. Back at the office now, except I'm alone at the office so that's still kind of cool. It's basically like every day is a weekend shift at the office.

I guess for some people the uncertainty of this situation and maybe their living situation makes it much harder. It does not sound like this particular kid was in a bad home or anything though so yeah it's really odd.

I find this time of year a bit depressing even under normal times as lack of sunlight over the year starts to catch up, and the constant flip flopping between spring weather and winter weather and fact that you can't really do much outside anymore because snow is like kinda melted but not all melted so that does not help but I seem to be doing fine this year. I kind of kept myself busy with projects and it actually went pretty fast. Another month and summer will be here so I can start on summer projects.

So yeah for me this is not all that bad.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I like the car commercials.

"We care, so buy a car from us because we care about you."

lmao I lol at that too. "We'll delay your next 3 payments" Great... but it still means I'm spending like 50 grand no matter how you put it.

Nothing beats Christmas car commercials though. "Buy your wife a brand new Lexus, the perfect holiday gift! Only $79,999 MSRP, financing available!"

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
lmao I lol at that too. "We'll delay your next 3 payments" Great... but it still means I'm spending like 50 grand no matter how you put it.

Nothing beats Christmas car commercials though. "Buy your wife a brand new Lexus, the perfect holiday gift! Only $79,999 MSRP, financing available!"
Really hated the one last Christmas where the father and children were trying to hide the giant bow from the wife/mom.

...as if people actually think giant bows are a thing for car gift surprises or whatever when they couldn't even be bothered to make a real one for the commercial. That's right: it was obviously computer-generated. If they want us to think that's a thing then the least they could do is make one for the commercial. Seriously: where would you get one even if you did think it was normal to surprise someone with a luxury car?!

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Really hated the one last Christmas where the father and children were trying to hide the giant bow from the wife/mom.

...as if people actually think giant bows are a thing for car gift surprises or whatever when they couldn't even be bothered to make a real one for the commercial. That's right: it was obviously computer-generated. If they want us to think that's a thing then the least they could do is make one for the commercial. Seriously: where would you get one even if you did think it was normal to surprise someone with a luxury car?!

Custom shops can make them up I'm sure. They've had those commercials for years and years, and while lately I barely ever see commercials, I recall seeing very obviously real giant bows.
You can have anything made. If you are buying a nice new luxury car as a gift, I'm sure acquiring a giant bow is not going to be a challenge.

Reactions: killster1

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
The number of PA plates I saw today in my city was redicilous. I live in South Jersey. The boardwalk is limited to only take out pizza, and I heard the line was very long. Many people weren't standing 6 feet apart, and many weren't wearing masks. They were in large groups as well. Our mayor is going to have to decide if they want to risk a surge of COVID-19 sick people, or are they willing to keep things on lock. I already know the answer. We have 12 ventilators in our local hospital. That's it. Our numbers are increasing daily. We haven't peaked yet. Philadelphia is currently getting slammed with COVID-19, and many of those people are coming to the shore. I expect a HUGE spike, and its going to be an ugly mess.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Custom shops can make them up I'm sure. They've had those commercials for years and years, and while lately I barely ever see commercials, I recall seeing very obviously real giant bows.
You can have anything made. If you are buying a nice new luxury car as a gift, I'm sure acquiring a giant bow is not going to be a challenge.

Exactly, but apparently it's too big of a challenge for the luxury car makers themselves so they don't even bother now though they are perfectly happy to go on seeding that idea.

Maybe they should sell optional giant bows. Maybe then they could actually start using real ones in their commercials again, save their buyers the trouble of commissioning one, and make a little money off of that increasingly implausible scenario to boot. ;)