NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 237 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
even facemasks really are not enough.. need tight sealing eye protection as well... probably need a decontamination room for undressing/ showering as well.. if its aerosalized ...I'm sure clothing is likely how a sponge acts when dipped in water

I think there is less good evidence for that than even masks (outside high risk medical settings) and is bordering on alarmist.

what about driving in your vehicle? probably not a bad idea to keep the hvac system in recirculation setting

All available info indicates close contact is required or a closed environment.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
That's it, I'm going to wear personal fans that i'll turn in the direction of people within a 24ft distance

• Haha
Reactions: Muse

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
I think there is less good evidence for that than even masks (outside high risk medical settings) and is bordering on alarmist.

All available info indicates close contact is required or a closed environment.
A person in a car in front of you could easily cough out the window and it could go right into your car. I think we have proven available info is weeks behind and pretty much useless. Theres no harm that can be done by rolling up the windows and sealing your car off from the outside, so theres no reason to tell people not to do it. It cant hurt, it can only help.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
what about driving in your vehicle? probably not a bad idea to keep the hvac system in recirculation setting

At one point the coronavirus was actually measurable as part of the air make up in Wuhan, can't find the article on it but I do recall reading it. It was very small like 0.01% but it was still detectable even not being near people. So yeah I suppose it's quite plausible to get it even if it wandered from far through air currents or what not. Especially in the cold. I think in summer it will be less an issue as it will probably die off quicker. Sun UV rays might also have an effect on it, though I think it's UV-C and there is not much if any UV-C from the sun, at least I don't think.

On similar note, when getting into your car be aware that thieves probably touched your handles and also your house door knob so consider all outside surfaces like that as contaminated and sanitize them and your hands. That's more an issue in my city though, we have a theft epidemic here.

Reactions: Muse

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Consider: Have you ever been driving down the road, and very distinctly smelled cigarette smoke from a vehicle in front of you? There's a ~90% chance that came from their lungs.

I've read that infectious disease typically there is an "infectious dose" in order to become sick. Though we don't really have much data on COVID yet, I'd assume it's the same.

I do wonder if a large portion of asymptomatic carriers start off with a low dose giving their immune time to detect and mitigate the infection before it starts to get out of control. But it's odd that even asymptomatic carriers end up with enough in their systems to spread it to others. So who really knows wtf is going on. Still, I'd err on the side of caution and avoid enclosed spaces with others outside of your personal residence whenever possible. Walks and strolls I'd be fine with so long as proper social distance is being maintained.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The local Goodyear service center (Newnan Station Tire and Automotive) has pickup and delivery so my car is in for service. Unfortunately I still had to go in because they are having Internet and phone problems. They have caution tape strangers some distance from the register to keep people back.

Gave them my spare ozone generator in case they feel the need to disinfect a car. Now they're asking nearly $800 even though the big issue (bad bearing) was covered by warranty. :(

Was supposed to be a 150k service with a new battery. You know... fluids, rotation, and all that.

How is it that we're just now figuring this out?
We've just been in overly optimistic denial absent clinical proof of the worst.

Reactions: Muse and Captante

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
I've read that infectious disease typically there is an "infectious dose" in order to become sick. Though we don't really have much data on COVID yet, I'd assume it's the same.

I do wonder if a large portion of asymptomatic carriers start off with a low dose giving their immune time to detect and mitigate the infection before it starts to get out of control. But it's odd that even asymptomatic carriers end up with enough in their systems to spread it to others. So who really knows wtf is going on. Still, I'd err on the side of caution and avoid enclosed spaces with others outside of your personal residence whenever possible. Walks and strolls I'd be fine with.

makes perfect sense to me... I'm sure your body stands a much better chance of mitigating just a few virus particles in an area where somebody sneezed the day before as opposed to being in the same area where somebody sneezes in your presence.

** also wonder if one needs a certain level of infection for the body to produce the antigens which may give oneself immunity to prevent subsequent infenctions

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Coming up on a million confirmed cases within the hour:
FYI: Germany passed China earlier today.
Edit:
e046da91b9338d99f6825bb7af77c763.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Whats very creepy i keep getting recommended this for some reason on Youtube, have heard it before as i love the series but half my content is covid-19 coverage and other stuff is tech news and nostalgia hardware videos. Sure fits the mood.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Wonder how many of these cases there are. 30 year old teacher and varsity baseball coach dies 2 days after being sent home. Just stopped breathing overnight.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
  • Wow
Reactions: mopardude87

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I feel really bad for the cashiers. Those people are getting slammed with this virus for 8 frekin hours. My friend whose a cashier told me that he's getting an extra $3 an hour, so it's worth it to him.

An extra $3 an hour. Is that worth getting sick from this virus? If you need the money than you have no choice.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Don't know if anyone had posted this: Seems that COVD-19 can spread just my talking or even by breathing. Crazy sh*t right there.

I have been deliberately staying clear of everyone at big places, at least 5 feet. One of my friends said i was nuts and i said we don't know all the facts. Well looks like we know this now don't we? SOOOO glad i got everything i need for a entire month.

Reactions: pmv and Captante

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yeah as someone that does live in the south - I think it is taken pretty seriously. The fact that people still travel doesn't mean they aren't observing the general rules of social distancing.

I'm curious of what their measurement of "travel" is.

I "traveled" down the road to pickup groceries. I traveled a few blocks to pickup food at a restaurant.

EDIT: I see - so they are basing it on cell-phone locations whereby 1 mile isn't considered travel, but 5 miles is. Fucking dumb and worthless. NYT is ineptly fucking stupid to not understand this thing called population density.

For reference, the Costco we go to is ~10miles away.

While I do have a grocery store that is just down the road, that isn't the case for everyone else... ESPECIALLY rural areas.

Seems a valid point - surely distance travelled shouldn't be the metric, but how many people you passed close to?

If you go for a 20 mile hike across an empty wilderness you aren't going to cause a problem, whereas if you walk 100 yards down a very crowded main street you probably are.

I expect this will be worst where the population-density is highest.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I have been deliberately staying clear of everyone at big places, at least 5 feet. One of my friends said i was nuts and i said we don't know all the facts. Well looks like we know this now don't we? SOOOO glad i got everything i need for a entire month.

Yea, think about huge supermarkets like Walmart, and small convenience stoores like WaWa, Sheetz or a 7/11. Those places get a TON of traffic with little airflow. Now, imagine hundreds of people in those stores walking in and out all day. If COVID-19 can survive in the air for an hour, even longer that is very serious and scary. It's why wearing a mask should be a must.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
First nice weather day in Chicago and the loop is pretty busy, lots of people out and not everyone practicing social distancing. Wife and I have decided that we are going to limit our shopping trips to one trip to the grocery store per week and one trip to a drugstore or other big box that sells toiletries per week. Virus will definitely spread as more people skirt the stay-at-home orders as weather becomes nice.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Seems a valid point - surely distance travelled shouldn't be the metric, but how many people you passed close to?

If you go for a 20 mile hike across an empty wilderness you aren't going to cause a problem, whereas if you walk 100 yards down a very crowded main street you probably are.

I expect this will be worst where the population-density is highest.

I live at the shore in NJ. I noticed PA, North Jersey and a few NY tags. It's going to get real dicey as the weather changes. People are going to want to come down to the shore. Many people have summer homes here as well. I can't even imagine if the boardwalk opened for summer business while this pandemic is going on. I don't think we are going to have a summer TBH.

Imagine this at the end of May...

10067986915_ffcdbea752_b.jpg

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
First nice weather day in Chicago and the loop is pretty busy, lots of people out and not everyone practicing social distancing. Wife and I have decided that we are going to limit our shopping trips to one trip to the grocery store per week and one trip to a drugstore or other big box that sells toiletries per week. Virus will definitely spread as more people skirt the stay-at-home orders as weather becomes nice.

Yep. Unless we get the army or at least the national guard to enforce some type of stay at home order this will get bad.

Although I'm not a fan of Trump, he's going to under enormous pressure to get this over with and to jumpstart the economy. I know the area I'm in we can't afford to not have people come down to the Jersey Shore. The summer is when profits are made. You can't just shut it all down for the summer. Even if we open everything it's still going to be a bad year. Would you feel safe to enter a restaurant, go to the beach or the boardwalk when this pandemic is still a threat? I know I wouldn't.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The thing is, those wet markets are full of live pigs and birds and pangolins and bats... for consumption. They are in much closer proximity to each other and to humans than they ever would be naturally.

Also, the reassortment is just as likely to happen in a person that gets it directly from an animal while also infected with a human virus in which case it is much more likely to gain a trait that allows it to spread person-to-person (human and animal virus infect the same cell; out pops a novel combination of the two).

Works the other way around too... a researcher studying bat coronaviruses could, through handling, accidentally infect the bat with a human coronavirus. That virus reassorts with the bat's coronavirus to give the bat coronavirus just what it needs to spread from person-to-person and, thus, a new human-transmissable bat coronavirus is born.
There are some places in the world where bats are consumed, but it's fake news that bats were consumed at Wuhan's Huanan Seafood market.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Yea, think about huge supermarkets like Walmart, and small convenience stoores like WaWa, Sheetz or a 7/11. Those places get a TON of traffic with little airflow. Now, imagine hundreds of people in those stores walking in and out all day. If COVID-19 can survive in the air for an hour, even longer that is very serious and scary. It's why wearing a mask should be a must.

I had to go to walmart yesterday, luckily tons of wipes and sanitizer to use but as always i kept as much distance between me and others as possible. Food wise good till next month so no more of that store. I just got paid so i would need to order masks online . I hardly go out so a pack of like 30 would last me 5 months easily.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't know how true this is but also heard that people dying from other causes who happen to test positive are also being counted as a statistic even though they died of the other cause.
You know, if your sentence starts with this, you should probably just end it there unless you're willing to find the answer. Don't be a vector for misinformation.

Regardless, that's how it works for some things, they don't directly kill you, but enabled the thing that did kill you to get the killing done.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yep. Unless we get the army or at least the national guard to enforce some type of stay at home order this will get bad.

Bad news is that ship has pretty much sailed even under a best-case scenario and IMO its time to plan for it as much as possible.

We may be able to prevent total disaster at this point but that's about the best I can say.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
There are some places in the world where bats are consumed, but it's fake news that bats were consumed at Wuhan's Huanan Seafood market.

And how do we actually know THIS isn't the "fake-news" hmmm?

;)

EDIT: I will concede the word "seafood" does hint in that general direction

:p

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The CCP's power hinges on controlling the security apparatus and the military, same as in any other dictatorship. The only communism in the CCP is in the name.
I do not disagree. And note, this is quite "political," but know what? I don't give damn. There's no separating politics out of discussions about Covid-19 without turning ourselves brainless. Carry on. And flatten the curve, and stay the damn home if you can.