NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 236 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The vast majority of 40 to 60 year olds I know have no underlying health problems.

But 'people Greenman knows' is not a scientifically-selected sampling of the population!

It probably depends a lot on how they are defining 'underlying health problems'. They don't really seem to explain that (athlete's foot? migraines? a bad knee?)

I wonder whether 'being overweight' is considered as an "underlying health problem"? I saw one report making a big deal out of the fact that 65% of those who died were overweight - when I suspect that's pretty much in line with the percentage of the general population, so doesn't mean much.

Diabetes is pretty common, that's 1 in 10 of the US population, and if you include pre-diabetes it's nearly 1 in 3.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Things like that are the reason i love that dude as more then a actor, him being in Dead Pool yeah talk about a career saver. When a guy can make fun of himself, that's someone worth my respect. If you seen last Deadpool, there is post credit scene no spoilers but yeah beyond a riot.

He's not the only one...maybe there should be a "Coronavirus donation" Oscar category. Get 'em competitively donating. "The award for best peformance in a pandemic goes to..."

Reactions: mopardude87

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I wonder whether 'being overweight' is considered as an "underlying health problem"? I saw one report making a big deal out of the fact that 65% of those who died were overweight - when I suspect that's pretty much in line with the percentage of the general population, so doesn't mean much.
That 34 minute video by Vietnamese doctor linked here, he mentioned BMI of 40 puts you in that category (preexisting health issue).

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
But 'people Greenman knows' is not a scientifically-selected sampling of the population!
Clearly it isn't. But I was a responding to one specific post, not making blanket statement about the overall health of most americans over 60.

TheOnlySuperdog

Oct 20, 2006
Here is a really good representation of how boned much of the South is because they don't take this seriously.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I'm curious what sort of special immunity these people think their locality has to a virus. I don't think it asks for a zip code before infecting you.
I live in Alabama and I don't get it. Maybe the thinking down in Montgomery is different than here in northern AL. Most people (not all) that I know have been taking this pretty seriously. Could be that a large number of us in this area are transplants...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2012
I live in Alabama and I don't get it. Maybe the thinking down in Montgomery is different than here in northern AL. Most people (not all) that I know have been taking this pretty seriously. Could be that a large number of us in this area are transplants...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah as someone that does live in the south - I think it is taken pretty seriously. The fact that people still travel doesn't mean they aren't observing the general rules of social distancing.

I'm curious of what their measurement of "travel" is.

I "traveled" down the road to pickup groceries. I traveled a few blocks to pickup food at a restaurant.

EDIT: I see - so they are basing it on cell-phone locations whereby 1 mile isn't considered travel, but 5 miles is. Fucking dumb and worthless. NYT is ineptly fucking stupid to not understand this thing called population density.

For reference, the Costco we go to is ~10miles away.

While I do have a grocery store that is just down the road, that isn't the case for everyone else... ESPECIALLY rural areas.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I'm curious what sort of special immunity these people think their locality has to a virus. I don't think it asks for a zip code before infecting you.

All he's saying is that Southern states don't have a lot of cases yet. That might change in the future or it might not. Georgia issued a a shelter-in-place yesterday, but TN and AL are resisting.

Or it could be that most Alabamans are already sheltering in place voluntarily. Like you.

Reactions: Captante

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
So Spain and Italy both have like 100,000 cases and 10,000 deaths each. So about 10% death rate. South Korea has about 10,000 cases and 170 death and US has about 200,000 cases and 5,000 deaths. So about 1.7% death rate in SK and 2.5% death rate in USA. SK and USA tested the most so I'm going to assume about 2% death rate for this virus. So there's probably like 500,000 cases in each Spain and Italy right now instead of 100,000. Spain and Italy are so overwhelmed they're behind testing.

It's going to be interesting to see the public reaction when USA has like 1.5 million cases by Easter and around 30,000 deaths based on current projections. Hopefully the numbers will be lot lower but it's not looking good.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
All he's saying is that Southern states don't have a lot of cases yet. That might change in the future or it might not. Georgia issued a a shelter-in-place yesterday, but TN and AL are resisting.

Define "a lot". Alabama had hundreds of confirmed positives and certainly more due to testing shortages and asymptomatic people walking around. The virus is clearly going to spread quite widely but the less eye popping figures in places (for now) convey a false sense of security due to time lag between infection, becoming symptomatic, hospitalization, and then deaths.

Also Kemp (GA) claimed his government didn't know asymptomatic people could be spreaders lol. Even the WH has been saying that for weeks. Either these people are hugely incompetent or lying.

Reactions: Muse

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
So Spain and Italy both have like 100,000 cases and 10,000 deaths each. So about 10% death rate. South Korea has about 10,000 cases and 170 death and US has about 200,000 cases and 5,000 deaths. So about 1.7% death rate in SK and 2.5% death rate in USA. SK and USA tested the most so I'm going to assume about 2% death rate for this virus. So there's probably like 500,000 cases in each Spain and Italy right now instead of 100,000. Spain and Italy are so overwhelmed they're behind testing.

It's going to be interesting to see the public reaction when USA has like 1.5 million cases by Easter and around 30,000 deaths based on current projections. Hopefully the numbers will be lot lower but it's not looking good.
youre not taking into account the effectiveness of each healthcare system

Dec 10, 2005

You can't calculate death rate like that. Deaths and total cases are not temporally synonymous, and there are also likely many unconfirmed cases. It's a bad situation, but we don't need to exacerbate it with bad statistical analysis

Reactions: pmv and purbeast0

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I would love to see him run for president.

Gates2020: Where do you want to go today?
I don't think he'd be a train wreck ... like Trump. He knows well the need to deleGATE... and do it well. No question about that. And that's gotta be as important as anything in a POTUS.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
One thing to probably keep in mind too is if someone dies and they never got tested, they might get tested after (is that possible?) so it might make it seem like rate is higher too.

I don't know how true this is but also heard that people dying from other causes who happen to test positive are also being counted as a statistic even though they died of the other cause.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If this is true, it is pretty much game over as far as avoiding getting infected:

If there is actually any benefit to putting an entire population in face masks its got to mostly be the possibility of inhibiting spread from mildly sick and asymptomatic carriers. The data is kind of all over the place unfortunately.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Which is why they're now pushing masks narrative. I had suspected this could be spread by general breathing or talking.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
If there is actually any benefit to putting an entire population in face masks its got to mostly be the possibility of inhibiting spread from mildly sick and asymptomatic carriers. The data is kind of all over the place unfortunately.
even facemasks really are not enough.. need tight sealing eye protection as well... probably need a decontamination room for undressing/ showering as well.. if its aerosalized ...I'm sure clothing is likely how a sponge acts when dipped in water

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
what about driving in your vehicle? probably not a bad idea to keep the hvac system in recirculation setting

• Haha

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
what about driving in your vehicle? probably not a bad idea to keep the hvac system in recirculation setting

Perhaps a tad extreme?

To be fair however when I was in a drive-through line @ BK last week the thought did cross my mind.