Nikky Haley refuses to acknowledge slavery as to the cause of the Civil War.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Listen for yourself. Story gives a good summary of Haley's statements on the Civil War and the Confederate Flag in the past which shows she has always tried to downplay slavery.
The best comment was from the black conservative Shermichael Singleton.

For those who want to defend her by saying "at least she took down the Confederate Flag. It took the deaths of 9 black people in a church in Charleston to do it . Not because it was the right thing in her mind but that it was politically expedient.

IMO as a former Governer of South Carolina she knew the right answer. She was too afraid of offending that racist Republican base. That's why she "flubbed" it

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
and then tries to blame the questioner as if that was relevant.

BTW - The question she got was on the citizenship test.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
As if this will dissuade her supporters. While DeSantis and Christy think this will boost their support.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Fox News already framing this as a gotcha question. The same question that is on the citizenship test.

Easy to answer.

Fox News tries to bail Darling Nikki out.

GettyRoad

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2016
She shouldn't have responded to the question and if she did, she should have said "It has nothing to do with this campaign, let's talk about the future"

She's not going to be the nominee anyway....

It's going to be Trump-White.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
She shouldn't have responded to the question and if she did, she should have said "It has nothing to do with this campaign, let's talk about the future"

She's not going to be the nominee anyway....

It's going to be Trump-White.
In other words, politicians should not respond at all to questions they don't like?

You make more and more sense everyday.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
I have never been someone who would want any barriers to being able to vote but lately, I have been rethinking my stance on the matter. I do think that anyone running for public office needs to be able to pass both a civics test and the citizenship test, Nikki would probably fail both based on her public comments but we all know she is putting on an act for the ignorant among us.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The Civil War was NOT about slavery...it was a freedom issue...the US government refusing to give the southern states the freedom to enslave people...

/southern idiot

you laugh, but this is how Southerners are educated about the CIvil War, through High School at least. I sure was.

It is such a concentrated area of unbridled ignorance.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
In other words, politicians should not respond at all to questions they don't like?

You make more and more sense everyday.
This is actually true and politicians are supposed to be coached to answer the questions they want to answer regardless of what is asked. “Why did you vote to invade Iraq and murder hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians?” “That’s a great question and I’ve got a question for you; we need to close these open borders so that we don’t have to bomb those people here instead of there. My opponent supports open borders and hates babies.”

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
She's trying to become the Republican nominee. One of their pet projects is to the attack the idea of Slavery being so "one sided". Just look at what Desantis and the FL govt is doing with their whole "show the positive aspects of Slavery" curriculum efforts.

If you are trying to become the Republican nominee, you have to pander to bigots and ignorant morons that oppose anything "woke" even if they don't understand what the term means. Her history however suggests this is nothing new to her. She's still marginally better than what I fear Trump will be in his 2nd term, though that's sorta like saying I'd rather have cat shit on my shoe over dog shit.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
you laugh, but this is how Southerners are educated about the CIvil War, through High School at least. I sure was.

It is such a concentrated area of unbridled ignorance.

In Austin TX at the state capitol building, right out in the front lawn, sits a confederate soldier monument. It reads:

CONFEDERATE DEAD
DIED
FOR STATES RIGHTS
GUARANTEED UNDER THE CONSTITUTION

THE PEOPLE OF THE SOUTH, ANIMATED BY THE SPIRIT OF 1776, TO PRESERVE THEIR RIGHTS,
WITHDREW FROM THE FEDERAL COMPACT IN 1861. THE NORTH RESORTED TO COERCION.
THE SOUTH, AGAINST OVERWHELMING NUMBERS AND RESOURCES,
FOUGHT UNTIL EXHAUSTED,
DURING THE WAR THERE WERE TWENTY TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY SEVEN ENGAGEMENTS;
IN EIGHTEEN HUNDRED AND EIGHTY TWO OF THESE, AT LEAST ONE REGIMENT TOOK PART.
NUMBER OF MEN ENLISTED:
CONFEDERATE ARMIES 600,000; FEDERAL ARMIES 2,859,132
LOSSES FROM ALL CAUSES
CONFEDERATE, 437,000; FEDERAL, 485,216

It's still there!

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I am going to throw out this zinger. I do not think Nicky Haley realized or even knew what the civil war was about. A lot you assume intelligence in people. You overestimate people in politics.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I am going to throw out this zinger. I do not think Nicky Haley realized or even knew what the civil war was about. A lot you assume intelligence in people. You overestimate people in politics.
I find it hard to believe that an American citizen wouldn't know the basic issues leading up to the American civil war!

Reactions: Pens1566

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I find it hard to believe that an American citizen wouldn't know the basic issues leading up to the American civil war!

Lol immigrants are far more educated than Americans because of American politics and less educated people are easier to manipulate.

That leads to ultra nationalism as immigrants make more money and get ahead faster.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
She has in the past said pretty much the same thing on the subject. In 2010, in a talk to some group she described the Civil War as two sides fighting for different values, one for “tradition” and one for “change.”

She doesn't get a pass for ignorance. She's very smart and knows what's she's saying.

Her problem--she's trying to become the nominee for a party of bigots. People like Desantis have been busy trying to put a shiny happy face on Slavery in their nutty "war on woke". Never mind that Ma and Pa Kettle from Bumblefuck couldn't tell you what "woke" is other than it's bad and maybe has something to do with gay people, or brown people, or some other icky group.

People know (or knew) full well what the Civil War was about. But history can be changed by election winners. Look at all the people that refute that the Holocaust ever happened. Given time and propaganda, you can convince the masses that the sky is lime green and always has been.

Put another way--admitting slavery was bad (or even existed) is not a positive for a Republican candidate trying to get elected. Wack.

I'm not sure why she bothered walking it back, now she looks like a waffling weakling to the people whose vote she's trying to get. Why bother worrying about what independents and especially Democrats when what you really need to do is out-bigot Trump if you have any hope of beating him (which she does not).

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
In Austin TX at the state capitol building, right out in the front lawn, sits a confederate soldier monument. It reads:

CONFEDERATE DEAD

It's still there!

I mean, Texas still celebrates the Alamo as some sort of monument, for literally no reason. Every single detail about that story that they try to tell is a complete lie.

I think we should blow up that dumbfuck building, tbh.