Nikky Haley refuses to acknowledge slavery as to the cause of the Civil War.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Listen for yourself. Story gives a good summary of Haley's statements on the Civil War and the Confederate Flag in the past which shows she has always tried to downplay slavery.
The best comment was from the black conservative Shermichael Singleton.

For those who want to defend her by saying "at least she took down the Confederate Flag. It took the deaths of 9 black people in a church in Charleston to do it . Not because it was the right thing in her mind but that it was politically expedient.

IMO as a former Governer of South Carolina she knew the right answer. She was too afraid of offending that racist Republican base. That's why she "flubbed" it

I think this is all that needs to be said about her MAGAt revisionist views on history:

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
So now that Haley has cratered, who is a real threat to Biden? The Biden campaign ads can simply be 30 seconds of Haley being herself.

Trump is dangerous, but Trump is also most likely to be beaten by Biden. Do any of the others pose a threat to Biden?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
So now that Haley has cratered, who is a real threat to Biden? The Biden campaign ads can simply be 30 seconds of Haley being herself.

Trump is dangerous, but Trump is also most likely to be beaten by Biden. Do any of the others pose a threat to Biden?
Christy? He'll never get the nomination, obviously. I think bridge gate and his previous bear hugging of Trump turned off the middle too.

I really think Biden would beat Vivek or Ron.

Reactions: Leeea

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
In what world is Trump not going to get the nomination? It's hard to "crater" when you never got off the ground in the first place.
None of them including Haley were ever within 30 or so points of Trump in any state other than oddball NH.

It's not even worth worrying about unless Trump keels over dead. Even then he might win the nomination.

Reactions: pmv and hal2kilo

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
In what world is Trump not going to get the nomination? It's hard to "crater" when you never got off the ground in the first place.
None of them including Haley were ever within 30 or so points of Trump in any state other than oddball NH.

It's not even worth worrying about unless Trump keels over dead. Even then he might win the nomination.

The only thing that will prevent him from getting it is an artery ...

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
She was born here...
The story is that she was born here. I am not saying she was not born here. It does not take an anthropologist to recognize she is half white. The narrative is that her parents are both from India and immigrated to the United States.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
She doesn't get a pass for ignorance. She's very smart and knows what's she's saying.

Her problem--she's trying to become the nominee for a party of bigots. People like Desantis have been busy trying to put a shiny happy face on Slavery in their nutty "war on woke". Never mind that Ma and Pa Kettle from Bumblefuck couldn't tell you what "woke" is other than it's bad and maybe has something to do with gay people, or brown people, or some other icky group.

People know (or knew) full well what the Civil War was about. But history can be changed by election winners. Look at all the people that refute that the Holocaust ever happened. Given time and propaganda, you can convince the masses that the sky is lime green and always has been.

Put another way--admitting slavery was bad (or even existed) is not a positive for a Republican candidate trying to get elected. Wack.

I'm not sure why she bothered walking it back, now she looks like a waffling weakling to the people whose vote she's trying to get. Why bother worrying about what independents and especially Democrats when what you really need to do is out-bigot Trump if you have any hope of beating him (which she does not).
This is what Republicans are defending as not so bad. The following is a quote from the Cornerstone Speech given by the Vice President of the Confederacy. This is what you all defending Nikki Haley are defending
The new Constitution has put at rest forever all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution—African slavery as it exists among us—the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization. This was the immediate cause of the late rupture and present revolution. Jefferson, in his forecast, had anticipated this, as the "rock upon which the old Union would split." He was right. What was conjecture with him, is now a realized fact. But whether he fully comprehended the great truth upon which that rock stood and stands, may be doubted. The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old Constitution were, that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with; but the general opinion of the men of that day was, that, somehow or other, in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. [...] Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the idea of a Government built upon it—when the "storm came and the wind blew, it fell."[6][7]

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
View attachment 91173
Why are some white people so terrified about talking about slavery?
Republican white people are afraid to talk about it. That’s why they are trying to whitewash all the bad parts out of history which is most of it. That why the likes of @
She was born here...
Republicans claim they only want legal entrants yet they balk at simple citizenship test questions

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
View attachment 91173
Why are some white people so terrified about talking about slavery?
Republican white people are afraid to talk about it. That’s why they are trying to whitewash all the bad parts out of history which is most of it. That why the likes of @GettyRoad want to keep Republicans fat dumb and racist by keeping them ignorant of this countries real history. Otherwise known as the truth

Reactions: hal2kilo

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Republican white people are afraid to talk about it. That’s why they are trying to whitewash all the bad parts out of history which is most of it. That why the likes of @

Republicans claim they only want legal entrants yet they balk at simple citizenship test questions

Who balked at a simple citizenship question?
I was only making it clear she was born in the USA.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
The story is that she was born here. I am not saying she was not born here. It does not take an anthropologist to recognize she is half white. The narrative is that her parents are both from India and immigrated to the United States.

The story is? That is the truth, both of her parents are Indian and did immigrate to the US. She is not "half white". Not all Indian people are dark. Also what difference does it make if she is half white or not?

And @ssholes in here call me racist. :rolleyes:

1703994291028.jpeg

Nov 29, 2006
In Austin TX at the state capitol building, right out in the front lawn, sits a confederate soldier monument. It reads:

CONFEDERATE DEAD

It's still there!
I mean it’s not 100% wrong. They just left out the important part….to own slaves.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Who balked at a simple citizenship question?
I was only making it clear she was born in the USA.
NH knows white Republicans are afraid to talk about it. Thats why she awkwardly punted on the question. She needs that racist base and she doesn’t want to offend them talking the truth about slavery. As long as Republicans continue to condone racism they will always be the racist party.

Last edited:

m8d

Nov 5, 2012

The irony is most Americans would fail the citizenship test.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Story time.

Back in the ancient times, EverQuest had a funny couple systems in it, among which were weight and money. See, being over weight made you move slower and take more damage from falling, and coins had weight... Not much but enough. They had four tiers of coins, 100 copper was one silver, 100s was one gold, 100g was one platinum. Now all coins were equal weight regardless of value.

With that stage set, one time I was in one of the cities, I forget which, and there was a beggar outside asking for scratch from people. I was feeling both generous and petty, so I invited him to a group and headed to the bank. Extracted 5 platinum, converted it into 5m copper, and ran a neat command called /split that split a given quantity of money between all members of the group (designed for designated looters in group play). Now that fine fellow had 2.5 platinum, a tidy sum for a beggar (albeit in enough copper to wire Freeport). Unfortunately there was a staircase leading between him and the bank to convert and deposit it. Thanks to how weight was handled, he fell to his death with every step.

So you see, you can actually crater without leaving the ground if you're sufficiently weighed down by what you choose to carry with you. Though it helps if you know /corpse. The beggar did not btw, I watched for an hour as died, ran back from wherever he was bound, looted, took another step down, died again. Some say he's still cratering to this day.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
NH knows white Republicans are afraid to talk about it. Thats why she awkwardly punted on the question. She needs that racist base and she doesn’t want to offend them talking the truth about slavery. As long as Republicans continue to condone racism they will always be the racist party.
Someone really needs to follow up on her BS response with "Can you please state which 'tradition' they were fighting to save?" She makes it sound like just a stereotypical new way vs old way argument, but fails to mention they were arguing about owning people.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Oh sure, pick on my little state :p

Reactions: DarthKyrie