Nikky Haley refuses to acknowledge slavery as to the cause of the Civil War.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

Sadly its true nowdays with the cuts to education.

This isn't the world you were brought up in.. where the type of ideals taught and cherished were higher education, knowledge, science, critical thinking and democracy.

Like my dad asks kid noways what's 51 + 49 ^2. It's simple mental math yet no one gets it. Nowdays we're in the age of stupid where one's phone can think for them and they just have to repeat what's fed to them.

Gone are the days when being an American meant you hated Russia with every fiber of your being.. nope.. nowdays people care more about Russians than other Americans.

Sad part is I actually miss those days and still struggle with it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I mean, Texas still celebrates the Alamo as some sort of monument, for literally no reason. Every single detail about that story that they try to tell is a complete lie.

I think we should blow up that dumbfuck building, tbh.

One thing Texans do not like is digging even the tiniest amount into the actual reasons for the Texian Revolution. I mean Santa Anna was a POS too but these guys also really fucking sucked. Really too bad that there was not a way for them both to lose the war.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sadly its true nowdays with the cuts to education.

This isn't the world you were brought up in.. where the type of ideals taught and cherished were higher education, knowledge, science, critical thinking and democracy.

Like my dad asks kid noways what's 51 + 49 ^2. It's simple mental math yet no one gets it. Nowdays we're in the age of stupid where one's phone can think for them and they just have to repeat what's fed to them.

Gone are the days when being an American meant you hated Russia with every fiber of your being.. nope.. nowdays people care more about Russians than other Americans.

Sad part is I actually miss those days and still struggle with it.

I still hate Russia and China with every fiber of my being…there are more of us than most people realize.

Reactions: Ajay

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I still hate Russia and China with every fiber of my being…there are more of us than most people realize.
Well, practically every boomer** and some GenX.

** except those that fell for the pro-worker spiel and Marx' enlightened utopia fever dream.

Reactions: ccryder

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Isnt it explicitly in the documents that states submitted to leave the union? That they left cause they need slavery to save civilization and Jesus?
When they then continue to fire the first shot in South Carolina ... its fucking hard not to list slavery as a course.

Is Nikky Haley reta?ded?

Reactions: hal2kilo

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Isnt it explicitly in the documents that states submitted to leave the union? That they left cause they need slavery to save civilization and Jesus?
When they then continue to fire the first shot in South Carolina ... its fucking hard not to list slavery as a course.

Is Nikky Haley reta?ded?
Yup. Interestingly, Georgia was upfront about it, while South Carolina has it tucked away under "states rights". Haven't checked the others to see how they compared

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Someone really needs to follow up on her BS response with "Can you please state which 'tradition' they were fighting to save?" She makes it sound like just a stereotypical new way vs old way argument, but fails to mention they were arguing about owning people.
Know what can be posted The Cornerstone Speech. That is the tradition they are fighting for

Cornerstone Soeech

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Truthfully, many (most?) native-born US citizens couldn't pass the citizenship test.

This is of course by design. The decades-long attack on education by the GOP is necessary to keep their acolytes ignorant of themselves and their history, and forever terrified of "the other." Imagine if they actually knew anything about history and civics--not a single Republican notion of how the Constitution works or how the law works, as they believe it, would work. They have to remain ignorant to continue to hold the type of worm-brain beliefs that we see them post here all the time, and continue to vote for the type of politicians that have only ever promised to take their money and send it straight to billionaires, as long as they remind these mudpeople that the "brown people over there" are the real problem". It's fucking nuts, but it is where we are.

This isn't even a controversial claim--this is literally a pillar of their party for decades, very proudly rolled out by Reagan and ever since, every one of these fucking freedom-swilling Trump-voting dillholes will proudly remind you how they don't trust "the experts" because they "did their own research!" and only dumb book-reading people go to that college over there and get indoctrinated in "liberal nonsense"!.

This is who they are. They fucking idiot turnips, and there are 10s of millions of them in this country now. The formula has always been white hot fascism, and it hasn't changed. The current moment is the intended result of GOP push towards pure, raging, fascism. It is unmistakable and wholly inarguable at this point.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Yes, and this is why none of the original documents, first person statements, constitutional convention, etc leading up to the Civil War and the dedication of the Confederacy are actually taught in the South, while they are teaching you nonsense about "state's rights" and how fucking amazing Robert E Lee was.

If only they included the Confederate Constitution as part of the required education in middle-high school...but that would dissolve the entire narrative of generations of losers that just want to keep fucking losing but call it winning.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
More pro-slavery right wingers. Brian Kilmeade of Fox News says "nobody is condoning slavery" and then proceeds to condone it. You people that don't understand Trump doublespeak, see how that works.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
More pro-slavery right wingers. Brian Kilmeade of Fox News says "nobody is condoning slavery" and then proceeds to condone it. You people that don't understand Trump doublespeak, see how that works.
What a sorry human being that is.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This author is 100% correct.
It was not a gaffe. Let’s be clear about that. Nikki Haley has consistently denied the relevance of the history of racism in this country and the present of racism in this country. Nikki Haley, running in a party who is led by a man known for serial discrimination against people of color, as well as harboring actual neo-Nazis both within his larger political close circle but also defending people, as was true in August of 2017 on the campus of the University of Virginia, chanting “Jews will not replace us,” and essentially giving them a pass as “good people.”

And so, when you put it all together, the serial denial of slavery — let’s be clear, the serial denial of slavery, that is absolutely responsible for how this country came to be an economic juggernaut in the 19th century because of cotton exports, which is not a secret. It is a simple fact. It was not just a Southern problem. It was embedded in both Northern institutions, in the financial sector, as well as in the larger European context. So, to deny slavery in 2024, to essentially say, “Wink wink, nod nod, it’s not that important. Let’s move on,” is precisely the mirror inverse of what Claudine Gay and those other presidents were being accused of, of somehow denying the saliency of antisemitism. But that actually isn’t true.

Reactions: pmv

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
This author is 100% correct.

In other news, water is wet.

Edit: don't get me wrong, it's still important to call it out.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
leave it up to tfg to shit on her correctly...

~Trump on Nikki Haley not mentioning slavery when she was first asked about what caused the Civil War: “I don’t know that it’s going to have an impact, but, you know, I’d say slavery is sort of the obvious answer as opposed to about three paragraphs of bullshit."

then again he does like to shit o people that 'threaten' him

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

~Trump on Nikki Haley not mentioning slavery when she was first asked about what caused the Civil War: “I don’t know that it’s going to have an impact, but, you know, I’d say slavery is sort of the obvious answer as opposed to about three paragraphs of bullshit."

How long did it take his advisors to explain the Civil war to him, without using big words? Or explain what slavery was FTM.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This whole thing about conservatives being ashamed of their forefather's deeds is unique in the sense that many of their own ancestors fought on the side of the Union to free the slaves and now they've gone and adopted the MAGAt attitude where being against slavery is not something to brag about? That they should help hide and obscure the factual history of our nation in order to toe the party line?

This must be so confusing to those many conservatives whose ancestors were quite the pious religious fundamentalists, well, except for the fact that many of them owned slaves. Well I guess a lot of them would want to hide that part of their ancestor's legacy so as to.....clean up that part of their family's past, yes? It's like there's this conundrum where they're proud of the traditions that got passed on down the line and would like to keep those traditions alive and well into the future yet unwilling to accept the fact that the tainted parts of their "traditions" should also be included in the factual historical records of our nation.

This ongoing attempt at rewriting and/or removing from history the parts that don't fit their present day political narrative is telling in so many ways and none of it is good. Like when Biden exposed in a speech that many Republican legislators are constantly attempting to get rid of the many essential social services provided by the federal gov't only to be greeted with boos and hisses from the very GOP legislators that are doing exactly that, as if to deny and hide their culpability. LOL

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

The banner headline for this should be, "TRUMP TELLS TRUTH!"