New Zen microarchitecture details

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Dresdenboy, Mar 1, 2016.

1. HurleyBird

HurleyBird Golden Member

Given the sheer amount of effort and iteration that has gone into Hyperthreading scaling on the part of Intel, I'd be quite surprised and impressed if AMD beat their SMT implementation on the first attempt.

Of course, there are many potential reasons why Zen might perform particularly good in Blender compared to other apps.

2. IEC

IEC Lifer

I'll wait for retail benchmarks.

While the performance at face value in an approximately apples-to-apples comparison* is promising, that's just one data point. I want to see the full spectrum of benchmarks first. I'd be okay with something that will slightly underperform Broadwell-E if it still has comparable overclocking headroom, or it is significantly more affordable.

*Unverified, we don't have the full details of the Blender shootout setups

3. Abwx

Abwx Diamond Member

According to Computerbase.de Lisa Su said that "ASP will be higher than current CPU"....

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-08/amd-zen-benchmark/

On the technical side of things Hardware.fr said that AMD pointed that Zen was consuming a little less than BDW-E during the Blender rendering demo.

4. JustMe21

JustMe21 Senior member

The only expectation I have with Zen is that it will perform better than Bulldozer. I purchased AMD processors for many years, but Bulldozer always looked like a dud even before it came out. The reason was that even though AMD could beat Intel's Integer performance, their FPUs have sucked since the Pentium days and with Bulldozer was sharing an FPU between 2 cores, that just went from bad to worse. Also, extensions like 3DNow never performed on par with Intel's counterpart. But, if AMD can offer Ivy Bridge performance, at least 3.5 GHz and an 8 core processor for around $300, I'd certainly pick one up. I'd be tempted to go 4 core if they can get it to 4 GHz and around $250.

5. Ajay

Ajay Diamond Member

Honestly, I hope this is good enough to for AMD to fetch a good price for Zen CPUs. Getting $500+ for the top binned part would be a major win for them financially (and that's the place the need to win - if they are to continue as an MPU/SoC developer).

6. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Golden Member

No the main prize is selling 64C/128T 2P servers to cloud, enterprise and web 2.0. In all of those markets the already demonstrated clocks are sufficient. Being able to clock Zen high enough to fight intel quads on the left and enough throughput to fight Intel 8-10 cores on the right would just be extra cream. The one advantage AMD has this time VS bulldozer is that most of really IPC hungry app's are now significantly better in terms of threading. So clock disadvantage to intel quads shouln't hurt as much as it might of a few years ago.

7. piesquared

piesquared Golden Member

V good points. Id add to that the muticore era in regards to gaming has also just begun with low level APIs able to extract parallelism quite well. High single thread performance on many cores seems pretty good. :)
    I think its important to remember that the idea of low level APIs would have been in discussion within AMD for a fair while, having a working copy with Mantle way before anyone else, so there were likely design decisions made with those in mind also. AMD takes gaming very seriously, so i think ZEN will be a great gaming chip as well as getting them back into datacenters. Anyway, Lisa Su, Mark Papermaster and team look pretty confident and looking forward hearing the rest as Lisa says 'the best is yet to come'.

8. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Word is Mark Papermast is doing a deep dive at Hotchips.

Confirmed. Last session of the last day :(

9. KTE

KTE Senior member

It's Day 2, by Mike Clark, Lead Zen Architect

Straight after the other two exciting presentations:

Inside 6th generation Intel Core code named Skylake: New Microarchitecture and Power Management by Jack Doweck

POWER9: Processor for the Cognitive Era by Brian Thompton

I can't bloody wait for David's write up!

Oh yea, little birdy tells me that frequencies are on target and +3GHz is game.

Sent from HTC 10
    (Opinions are own)

sirmo likes this.
  10. Dresdenboy

Dresdenboy Golden Member

I already tried once, but the new system didn't accept it. Will try again soon. :)

krumme likes this.
  11. raghu78

raghu78 Diamond Member

yeah zen's primary goal is to gain share in servers. Now it all comes down to clocks. GF 14nm is not quite mature and a lot will depend on whether they can get it to good shape by Q1 2017. I think if AMD hit 2 Ghz base clocks for 32c/64t SKUs they would be competitive with Skylake EP (28c/56T).

yeah.

http://www.hotchips.org/program/

A New, High Performance x86 Core Design from AMD Michael Clark AMD

#2661 raghu78, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  12. sirmo

sirmo Senior member

Server is lucrative and an important market for AMD to recapture. But where Zen really looks promising to me is AMD's APUs. AMD has never been able to make competitive APUs due to being held back by poor Bulldozer based cores. And if Zen has the perf/watt, AMD's APUs could finally show their true potential. Add some HBM2 into the mix, and you have a unique product no other company can rival.

13. swilli89

swilli89 Golden Member

Yeah even a 2C/4T Zen APU with ~800 Polaris/Vega Cores with HBM2 would be an absolute beast in both outright performance, form factor, and performance/watt especially with HBM2 being more energy efficient that traditional memory systems. You could have a Nintendo Wii sized Mini PC that could play games @ 1080p for probably pretty cheap. Apple surely is waiting for this with baited breath in their obsession with small form factors.

Scholzpdx and sirmo like this.
  14. sirmo

sirmo Senior member

I could totally see it.. Apple who loves to solder RAM in their MacBooks.. being told, they don't have to solder it on the PCB it's already soldered onto the CPU core. ... "where do we sign?" :p

15. raghu78

raghu78 Diamond Member

I agree completely. AMD has the opportunity to deliver a gaming PC on a single package. I think they will wait till 2018 to introduce HBM2 to APUs due to cost and yield reasons. I would like to see a Zen+ combined with Vega and 16GB HBM2 on a single package. Thats the future.

scannall and sirmo like this.
  16. Ajay

Ajay Diamond Member

Good point. I hope AMD and it's partners can muster enough strength and breadth in infrastructure to move in on some of Intel's Cloud computing market.

17. F-Rex

F-Rex Junior Member

Perhaps amd don't want to let Intel know at what frequencies zen Will ship.
    If i was AMD i would not disclose frequencies until zen launch. Let's Intel worrying a little bit.

18. turtile

turtile Senior member

I doubt we'll see HBM2 on any new product in 2018 since AMD has plans to move to the next generation memory that year. We'll probably only see HBM2 is someone like Apple asks for a custom design.

19. rtsurfer

rtsurfer Senior member

What's next gen after HBM2...?

20. Dresdenboy

Dresdenboy Golden Member

Might well be the case. But there's another point: power consumption or efficiency. With those power optimized FP execution units (see my latest blog), uOp cache, high density design (also targeting lower power), there is a good chance for scenarios with Zen cores using less power for a task than BDW cores. This could result in less throttling or higher boost clocks.

21. turtile

turtile Senior member

They haven't stated which technology they will be using. My assumption is that HBM is too expensive to be worthwhile in APUs (at least for low end).

22. jpiniero

jpiniero Diamond Member

Navi (GPU) has "Next Gen" memory... my guess would be stacked memory on the die, maybe with the GPU die on top of the memory.

Whether this would be suitable or cheap enough for a consumer APU is anyone's guess. HBM2 for sure isn't though. I don't know why people think otherwise.

23. rtsurfer

rtsurfer Senior member

Interesting, thanks for the information. I thought we were gonna settle with HBM2 for a few years, guess not.

The price argument definitely makes sense though.

24. turtile

turtile Senior member

The interposer has to be pretty expensive to implement. I think 7nm will allow for something different than what we've seen before. Apparently, Global Foundries is moving to 7nm next in 2018 but we'll have to see if that happens on time.

25. Abwx

Abwx Diamond Member

More than a good chance since they explicitely stated that Zen was consuming a little less than BDW during the Blender rendering comparison at 3GHz..