Name a Sci-Fi show on air today that's as good or better than Stargate SG-1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
Nothing in my humble opinion outpaces SG-1, but as mentioned above Torchwood is a quality program!

EDIT: Atlantis was horse shit.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
It is not, but I will have to check that out. Was it good?

I dont remember :$ I was ~7 or 8 when this was on TV, i watched it and some other show called "dark skies", they were both cancelled after 1 season IIRC.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Nothing in my humble opinion outpaces SG-1, but as mentioned above Torchwood is a quality program!

See and I'm the complete opposite. I always preferred Atlantis to SG1.

Anyone remember Oddysey 5? Another show not given a chance....liked what there was of it.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001

Come on, horseshit? They're practically the same show.

I ended up liking the cast of Atlantis better, essentially. Especially the last couple of seasons when RDA stopped doing regular episodes.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
See and I'm the complete opposite. I always preferred Atlantis to SG1.

Anyone remember Oddysey 5? Another show not given a chance....liked what there was of it.

My wife preferred Atlantis as well, and I overstated my opinion a bit as I did like Atlantis but it was a pale shadow of a show compared to the original sg-1 imho...

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I did tune into the new Dr. Who once and from what I remember I think they were riding flamingos. I thought to myself, "Yep, not a show for me." British cheese.

Kreon

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2006
I see we share similar tastes. I also never really cared for the Ori story arc. The newer The Outer Limits is on the top of my list. Never really got into Battlestar Galactica and by the time people were saying the story was falling apart I really had no desire to return to it. Farscape does interest me though. That's another series I'll probably be getting the DVDs of.

Farscape and Firefly are my favorite SciFi series of all time. One of the things I really, really appreciate about Farscape, was how most of it was prosthetics and puppets. It made it feel so much more real than a lot of CG. And the characters were not paper thin.

In my opinion, while the BSG story arc weakened, it never fell apart. Except at the end. While I liked the grand idea of the end, the execution and details they chose to run with were not to my taste. I also really like Caprica and Blood and Chrome. /flamesuit up

I also just looked, all of the new outer limits episodes are available on Amazon! When I went looking for them a year or two ago, they only had about half available, in a couple collections of similarly themed episodes. Pleasant surprise tonight.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My wife preferred Atlantis as well, and I overstated my opinion a bit as I did like Atlantis but it was a pale shadow of a show compared to the original sg-1 imho...

I think it depended upon where people got into Stargate. Those who haven't watched SG-1 from the early episodes probably gravitated to Atlantis more.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001

I would agree with you if we also said that, by the time Atlantis started airing, even SG1 was a pale shadow of what it started out as.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
A bit off topic but freakin zuckerburg just showed up in the TNG episode im watching o_O

YzIwCXT.jpg

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Battlestar Galactica 2003 >>>>>>>> Stargate SG-1.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I have had success finding a couple random scifi series on Netflix though. There was a BBC one about refugees from Earth going to a distant planet, and only a couple of the colony ships made it, and there was a group of genetically modified humans who had been cast out who basically become the bad guys. There was also some interesting stuff on the planet, but I don't want to drop spoilers. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, sound familiar to anyone else?

I take it you mean Outcasts
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1697793/?ref_=sr_1
With Earth rapidly becoming uninhabitable, pioneers seek to colonize the harsh terrain of the planet Carpathia. 10 years later, the town of Forthaven faces danger as the planet's dark secrets are revealed.

Something very similiar from the US would be Earth 2
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108758/?ref_=sr_1
Colonists, crash-landed on an alien planet, begin the long trek to their originally designated landing place, facing both alien and human threats.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Dr Who is awesome

You really have to start watching and just stick to it for a bunch of episodes. It seriously grows on you and gets addicting.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Riker: I have this amazing idea for a new enterprise

Ensign zuckerberg: Really.....tell me more

It kind of scares me that you know what zuckerberg looks like.....I didn't. FB stalkers ftw.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
The problem with BSG is that it starts out really good and then by the middle of the second season it's just... Bleh...

Whoever thought to make a sci fi show with giant space ships and robots but then to make 90% of it about some religion and ignore the sci fi aspects needs a swift kick in the ass.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
SG-1 is one of those shows that I have fond memories over because it was one of the few shows that everyone in my family would sit down to watch. It was the only reason that we subscribed to Showtime, which is where the show first started airing. It's probably not much of a surprise given that my dad, who rarely watched TV, did like the original Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and Star Wars. Plus, it had MacGyver, but I was always ogling Amanda Tapping! :wub:

The problem with BSG is that it starts out really good and then by the middle of the second season it's just... Bleh...

In season 3 when
Adama drops the Galactica into atmo to launch the Vipers and then jumps out before it hits the ground was fucking amazing. It's probably one of my favorite Sci-Fi segments of all time. It's one of those moments that just makes you exclaim, "Holy shit, that man has balls of steel!" (In your best Duke Nukem impression)

But yeah, the show does change rapidly toward the end. I actually got bored halfway through season 4, and I've yet to finish the show. :$ I did get the British region-free Blu-Rays for a sweet price though.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
The sci-fi series that beats SG-1 won't come until HBO finds a good series of books with a willing author and a producer with passion for them. Network TV seems to be over and done with anything that could fully be considered sci-fi.

Dr Who vs SG-1: I really like (maybe liked is a better description) Dr. Who, but as a series I can't say that its as good or better. There are one off episode that are really good in the first 3 series, but the show doesn't have the arcing storyline that keeps you interested. In the 4th series it started to get a little corny. The stuff they have made over the last 2 years is pretty disappointing, across series 5 & 6 there are probably 3 episodes that i would say i genuinely like. If for lack of choices or whatever other reason you decide to watch it and do give up, ask which episodes are worth catching so you can sit through the better ones.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Regarding the new Doctor Who, the first 4-5 episodes of the new series are REALLY cringeworthy cheesy. Moving mannequins? Animated plastics? Wtf?

But you need to understand they were setting the hook for their guaranteed audience, the folks who grew up loving the cheesy old version (of which I am not one.) About 5 episodes into the new series the show gets good, like REALLY good. "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" (a two parter) are PHENOMENAL.

Unfortunately you kinda have to have watched the few cheesy episodes to get the character setup. It's worth it though, it really is. Grab a bottle of something and play a drinking game, like drink whenever you feel the special effects guy clearly made a decision based solely on budget. When you get to "The Empty Child" watch it and then decide how good the show is. That's the episode where they really started using their creative license to start carving out a new audience for themselves and it is fricking gold.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Loved SG-1. Probably my favorite sci-fi show of all time.

It should have ended after season 8, though. They pretty much had everything perfectly wrapped up with both the Goa'uld and the Replicators. I loved Ben Browder and Claudia Black on Farscape, but their characters were a bit meh on SG-1, and the whole Ori storyline that encompassed the final two seasons was painfully bad.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Watch this Dr Who episode called "blink". It's freaking awesome:

[removed]

Season 3 episode 11

No copyright infringement on the AT Forums, please
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
It is not, but I will have to check that out. Was it good?

I am a fan; but, honestly, it is just so-so. It is chock full of cliches mostly. episodes about racism and drugs. token minorities have the short end of the stick almost always, except for Commodore Ross (I liked his character).

what annoyed me about the show is that you have a group of marines, who just happen to be officers, that are trained pilots...but they get stuck doing grunt work and guard details.

so you'll probably notice little things like that. but at least Vansen (Kristen Cloke) is hot. Give it a shot and watch it. 'Tis easy as eating pancakes!

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Oh heck no! An average SG-1 episode is still a good episode to me. The bar is pretty high with SG-1.

sg-1 was so random most of the time, and altho i liked looking @ amanda tapping and enjoyed RDA's humor, overall i was more engrossed into atlantis, altho once weir left, it went downhill. sg-1 should have ended when RDA left. the last 2 seasons were a trainwreck.