Name a Sci-Fi show on air today that's as good or better than Stargate SG-1

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Nothing helpful here, other than SG-1 yay!

Last couple seasons were more "meh" for sure, some high points here and there. Seasons 4-7 are top-notch though, and really about halfway through Season 1 it got onto a roll.

Atlantis was actually pretty cool...I hated Weirritating, but now when I watch episodes she is in I don't even hear her talking anymore. Mental blocks are a wonderful thing ;)

Mmmm Amanda Tapping...

Kreon

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2006
I take it you mean Outcasts
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1697793/?ref_=sr_1
With Earth rapidly becoming uninhabitable, pioneers seek to colonize the harsh terrain of the planet Carpathia. 10 years later, the town of Forthaven faces danger as the planet's dark secrets are revealed.

Something very similiar from the US would be Earth 2
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108758/?ref_=sr_1
Colonists, crash-landed on an alien planet, begin the long trek to their originally designated landing place, facing both alien and human threats.

Yes! Outcasts was the one. It was pretty decent. Will have to check out Earth 2 as well. Was it any good?

I hope there is some good SciFi in the near future. I've basically run out of all of the old stuff that was good. I'm actually anticipating the return of Revolution.

What I'd love to see turned into a TV series: Hammer's Slammers. Great military SciFi that has overall story arcs within a series of short arcs, tons of source material, decent characters and a reasonably loyal fanbase. Ah to dream.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Yes! Outcasts was the one. It was pretty decent. Will have to check out Earth 2 as well. Was it any good?

I hope there is some good SciFi in the near future. I've basically run out of all of the old stuff that was good. I'm actually anticipating the return of Revolution.

What I'd love to see turned into a TV series: Hammer's Slammers. Great military SciFi that has overall story arcs within a series of short arcs, tons of source material, decent characters and a reasonably loyal fanbase. Ah to dream.

Earth 2 was hit or miss by episode. The show had a great cast but the best episodes, imo, were the ones Tim Curry guest starred in.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
A bit off topic but freakin zuckerburg just showed up in the TNG episode im watching o_O

YzIwCXT.jpg

looks more like vincent cassel as a kid

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
There's a couple of crossover episodes you might be a little 'huh.' on. Not confused really, but referencing things between Atlantis and SG1. Try Netflix that's a great way to get both.

BTW, Universe is fucking incredible. If you consider yourself a stargate fanat all, you shouldn't miss it.

I loved stargate universe also... was really pissed off when I found out there was no third series. That's the only problem with SG:U ... there is no ending to it...they just cancelled it with the story only half finished.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Please list the episodes which you think are great. I don't have time to watch all SG episodes. I also know all the story and background, therefore I only want great and excellent episodes only, no decent ones please.

steve wilson

Sep 18, 2004
Watched Stargate SG1 about 10 years ago... hard to remember the great ones... Also you won't completely understand what is going on in the great ones if you have not seen the entire series before it, regardless if you think you know the background.

For SG:U... the really great episodes for me where the ones with good body swapping stories... I'll check if spoiler works and post the rest in a minute
Like the story of when Young swaps with Telford and sleeps with his wife... but the body swapping gets interrupted during sex... so effectively Telford is having sex with youngs wife... should he stop it or not...

Last edited:

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
You really won't find a sci-fi show on the air today that is as good as Stargate SG-1/Atlantis. That level of sci-fi simply isn't produced. What's left tends more towards fantasy, either as fairy tales (Moffat's Doctor Who), or towards more generalized goofy fantasy such as Warehouse 13. I happen to enjoy the latter quite a bit and I think if you're a sci-fi fan you should watch it, but it's not Stargate.

Much like the western, spacey sci-fi shows are pretty much a dead genre at the moment. SyFy is launching some new stuff this year, but ehh... They went into their 2013 schedule with Walking Dead envy. As a result the "in thing" for genre shows right now is material based around survivor guilt melodrama.

BTW, Universe is fucking incredible. If you consider yourself a stargate fanat all, you shouldn't miss it.
The only thing incredible about Universe was that it was approved in the first place. The entire series is an exercise in why you shouldn't copy the latter seasons of BSG.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
The only thing incredible about Universe was that it was approved in the first place. The entire series is an exercise in why you shouldn't copy the latter seasons of BSG.

I thought the same thing until a few episodes in. They totally changed my opinion by the end of the run and I think it's a great series. Yes, it's differently shot and produced than SG1/Atlantis and it does trend more towards the dark, drama-driven stories as opposed to the lighter stuff that the other Stargate shows focused on at the end, but it was a great change of pace that was really needed in the series and in the two seasons I never thought the story was a mis-managed as BSG came out to be and it still kept itself grounded in standard StarGate lore.

I want a new StarGate series.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Stargate:Universe was the hell spawn of Stargate.
Awful characters, awful dialogue, awful plot. Did I mention the show was awful?
I seriously was so depressed by it I wanted to kill everyone except Lt. Boobies.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How about Journeyman? It was kind of Quantum Leap retold.

It was scifi, but not techno babble.

Also Taken, which was a miniseries but I thought well done.

Most of the better hits have been covered already.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Another one for you to try is Farscape. Great show. (these are all old shows....there really is nothing currently on TV that is anything like Stargate).

I think Ben Browder and Claudia Black were a far, far better fit on Farscape then they were in Stargate SG1. I loved John Chrighton's character as we went deeper into the series.

I haven't seen it in quite a while, should give it a rewatch.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Regarding the new Doctor Who, the first 4-5 episodes of the new series are REALLY cringeworthy cheesy. Moving mannequins? Animated plastics? Wtf?

Yeah my wife and I watched the first episode on Netflix. It was really bad. The thing I noticed was that one of the aliens was holding onto the doctor and the other was just standing there holding the vial of anti-plastic in front of his face for like 10 minute straight. WTF was that about.

Unfortunately, Dr Who just didn't make the cut for us. I can handle some cheesiness but it was over the top in this case.

We did start watching Warehouse 13 and it was dumb at first but shows promise. Makes me think of the SCP Foundation (a website cataloging supernatural items for those not familiar). We'll see how that one goes.

For regular fantasy as opposed to sci-fi, Merlin is a good series.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
Overall most episodes of Doctor Who aren't very good, but there are some outstanding episodes that are legit science fiction in there. I seriously doubt the same is true of stargate, though I haven't seen enough of it to say for sure. But it probably is way better on average than Doctor Who.

Couldn't make it through episode 1 of continuum. I am normally forgiving of pilots but that one was just too awful to finish.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
The problem with BSG is that it starts out really good and then by the middle of the second season it's just... Bleh...

BSG remains the best show on tv through the finale. The highlights are season 1, first half of season 2, first 2 episodes and last 4 of season 2.5. First 4 and last 4 of season 3. First half of season 4 is brilliant straight through. Half of 4.5 is great. Nothing compares.

Farscape is fantastic, but the first season is very weak... it is also a hit or miss show.. it is very unique and is experimental..sometimes it hits its mark and sometimes it doesn't.. but at least it tried.

The 4400 was a great show, though the mini series and first(second) season were the most interesting.

DS9 was amazing starting with the final episode of season 1.

TNG was a fantastic show from season 3 onward.

Quantum Leap was an enjoyable and light sci fi show.

Torchwood was a decent enough character based show for the first 3 seasons. Avoid the fourth like the plague.

Dr. Who is slightly enjoyable after the first season of the new series. It is not intelligent sci fi.

Firefly was great after a relatively weak first 4 episodes.

The Lost Room was an enjoyable mini series.

No other sci fi shows are worth watching imo.

Sherlock is not sci fi, but brilliant nonetheless.

Six Feet Under is brilliant until the last season.

Dexter was fantastic in seasons 1(first few episodes are weak), 2, and 4.

Arrested Development's first two seasons are fantastic.

Extras was a great british comedy show(first few episodes are weak. Patrick Stewart episode was the best in the series imo).

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
You really won't find a sci-fi show on the air today that is as good as Stargate SG-1/Atlantis. That level of sci-fi simply isn't produced. What's left tends more towards fantasy, either as fairy tales (Moffat's Doctor Who), or towards more generalized goofy fantasy such as Warehouse 13. I happen to enjoy the latter quite a bit and I think if you're a sci-fi fan you should watch it, but it's not Stargate.

Much like the western, spacey sci-fi shows are pretty much a dead genre at the moment. SyFy is launching some new stuff this year, but ehh... They went into their 2013 schedule with Walking Dead envy. As a result the "in thing" for genre shows right now is material based around survivor guilt melodrama.

It is an exercise in why you shouldn't try to copy BSG with terrible writers and actors.

As good as Atlantis? Huh? The whole show was pretty much a run and gun down 100 aliens while no good guys get injured tv show...

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Please list the episodes which you think are great. I don't have time to watch all SG episodes. I also know all the story and background, therefore I only want great and excellent episodes only, no decent ones please.

In no particular order.

The Torment of Tantalus
Scorched Earth
Window of Opportunity
The Tok'ra parts 1 & 2
The Fifth Race
The Gamekeeper
Point of View
Wormhole X-Treme!
Full Circle
Lifeboat
Lost City parts 1 & 2
Reckoning parts 1 & 2
Abyss

I could go on and I'm probably missing a few great ones here.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2013
ever since stargate sg-1 concluded i haven't been following any sci-fi shows. I've been re-watching the entire stargate sg-1 series from the start and so far i'm in the middle of season 7. What new shows out there that compares to the quality of sg-1? I'm thinking i should forgo anything new and start on watching the entire series of the newer the outer limits.

fringe

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Damn, I can't believe I'm in the minority on SGU here. I hated on it the first few episodes but by the middle of the first season I was all in. I thought it was really wonderfully shot too.

One other show mentioned in here that I forgot about was The 4400. I loved that show and was really disappointed to see it go without any sort of conclusion.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
In no particular order.

The Torment of Tantalus
Scorched Earth
Window of Opportunity
The Tok'ra parts 1 & 2
The Fifth Race
The Gamekeeper
Point of View
Wormhole X-Treme!
Full Circle
Lifeboat
Lost City parts 1 & 2
Reckoning parts 1 & 2
Abyss

I could go on and I'm probably missing a few great ones here.

Moebius parts 1 & 2

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
BSG remains the best show on tv through the finale. The highlights are season 1, first half of season 2, first 2 episodes and last 4 of season 2.5. First 4 and last 4 of season 3. First half of season 4 is brilliant straight through. Half of 4.5 is great. Nothing compares.

It was in the running for my personal "greatest TV of all time" until it started going downhill in season 2.5. The ending really spoiled my enjoyment of it; I've never really felt the desire to rewatch it the way I have with other shows.

DS9 was amazing starting with the final episode of season 1.

TNG was a fantastic show from season 3 onward.

Hell yes, loved both. I think I actually liked DS9 more, maybe just for the bigger story arcs than TNG. Both were excellent. I still haven't seen large chunks of seasons 1 and 2 of TNG though. I'm going to have to pick out a few good episodes and watch those but most were kinda crap.

No other sci fi shows are worth watching imo.

Babylon 5 is at least worth a shot IMO. I got into it as the DVDs were being released in the early 2000s, and while I enjoyed it then, I tried rewatching it and it was pretty corny. Also the other Star Trek series, Voyager and Enterprise. TOS was too campy for me to get into and I wasn't a huge fan of Voyager, but it had its moments. I think I liked Enterprise more than Voyager. Tons of people hate on it but it's actually decent if you can look past some of the flaws and silliness.

Sherlock is not sci fi, but brilliant nonetheless.

Absolutely. I really wish there were more episodes, but everything that has been made has been really good.

Extras was a great british comedy show(first few episodes are weak. Patrick Stewart episode was the best in the series imo).

I've seen that clip with Patrick Stewart on YouTube a bunch of times and it's hilarious. This comment makes me afraid that there's no point in watching the rest of the series though. Like when all the best parts of the movie are already in the preview.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
No one played the "everyman" who can kick azz better than Richard Dean Anderson.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Babylon 5 is at least worth a shot IMO. I got into it as the DVDs were being released in the early 2000s, and while I enjoyed it then, I tried rewatching it and it was pretty corny.

A lot of it is hard to rewatch, but some of it is excellent scifi. My favorite episode: Severed Dreams

Back in the day I watched it sequentially as they were released on tv, and when they hit the 2nd season and I began to realize that there was a story arc with some pretty sinister things going on it got pretty good.