Name a Sci-Fi show on air today that's as good or better than Stargate SG-1

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
AstroManLuca said:
I've seen that clip with Patrick Stewart on YouTube a bunch of times and it's hilarious. This comment makes me afraid that there's no point in watching the rest of the series though. Like when all the best parts of the movie are already in the preview.

You should watch that entire episode, not just the part with Patrick Stewart. I jumped around a lot when watching that series, but there are a ton of great episodes... I just remember that the first 3 or so were poor and a bit forced... but that happens a lot at the beginning of shows(Dexter, TNG, DS9, Farscape, etc). If you like Gervais' style of comedy, you should definitely watch the show.. It is only 6-8 episodes a season, and there are only 2, so it is short... plus, Steven Merchant is in it, and it spectacularly funny... Also, I must mention that if you get the dvds, you MUST watch all of the extras on Extras.. They are long and absolutely hilarious...

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
A lot of it is hard to rewatch, but some of it is excellent scifi. My favorite episode: Severed Dreams

Back in the day I watched it sequentially as they were released on tv, and when they hit the 2nd season and I began to realize that there was a story arc with some pretty sinister things going on it got pretty good.

Some of the stand alone episodes were hard to watch. Also some of the Bruce Boxleitner centered episodes reminded me of the later Andromeda episodes when they were all about how great Kevin Sorbo was. Two mediocre actors who work best when they keep their mouths shut as often as possible.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Some of the stand alone episodes were hard to watch. Also some of the Bruce Boxleitner centered episodes reminded me of the later Andromeda episodes when they were all about how great Kevin Sorbo was. Two mediocre actors who work best when they keep their mouths shut as often as possible.

Andromeda was an interesting show in that it had both promise and great eye candy, but failed in execution. It was internally inconsistent; for example, in that in the later seasons I was never really sure if the ship actually had a crew. They sort of restored the Commonwealth, but not really, and it fell apart quickly. And then, they ended up on this planet disconnected from everything. But not really.

I think Andromeda made a mistake when they focused more on Sorbo rather than the ensemble. I liked the other characters, like Harper.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I think I liked Enterprise more than Voyager. Tons of people hate on it but it's actually decent if you can look past some of the flaws and silliness.

Enterprise became good during its last season. Wish it was that way from the start.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Enterprise became good during its last season. Wish it was that way from the start.

I never understood this sentiment. They hyped the last season around Manny Coto's writing... and I watched.. and it was just as poor and directionless as the previous seasons.. and now the guy is on Dexter, and sure enough, his episodes were poor.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
My wife preferred Atlantis as well, and I overstated my opinion a bit as I did like Atlantis but it was a pale shadow of a show compared to the original sg-1 imho...

When I first started watching SG I preferred Atlantis, because I came in at the beginning. With SG1 I was like 7 years behind and missed most of the past references. I have since watched all SG1, and I definitely like SG1 better.

Fringe was good, but now thats over.
Supernatural is excellent, but its not quite sci-fi.
Person of Interest kinda kinda sci-fi.
I kinda want to throw Elementary in there. Not really sci-fi, but its kinda close in the "all the geek genres are related" way.
And I still think Revolution can be good. When you watch them one after the other it not bad.
Castle goes sci fi when the FBI/CIA shows up, which is about 1 two episode arc every season.

Its kinda slim pickings these days. I watch what I can on Amazon Prime Instant. The first season of Jeremiah is pretty good, as is The Event. Unfortunately both were cancelled, but its something to watch.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I never understood this sentiment. They hyped the last season around Manny Coto's writing... and I watched.. and it was just as poor and directionless as the previous seasons.. and now the guy is on Dexter, and sure enough, his episodes were poor.

There was stretch where they did a Mirror Mirror and Khan run, and it was the best Enterprise ever was. I'm not sure when that was, but they should have went that way from the beginning. They basically wasted 2-3 years.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Someone posted this on FB today:

542723_10151461066183686_1411680189_n.jpg

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
There was stretch where they did a Mirror Mirror and Khan run, and it was the best Enterprise ever was. I'm not sure when that was, but they should have went that way from the beginning. They basically wasted 2-3 years.
The final season has a number of fantastic 2-3 part stories.

1) Augments
2) How the Klingons lost their ridges (to explain the TOS look)
3) 22nd century Mirror Universe & how the humans came to dominate
4) The reform of Vulcan society from the arrogant jackasses of the 22nd century to the less arrogant jackasses we know and love
5) How the humans were able to bring together the disparate founding species that would become the Federation
6) Earth overcoming its own xenophobia (especially in wake of the Xindi attack)

And then it had a couple of running threads through the entire season, including how humanity inadvertently stepped in the Romulans' scheming (beginning the setup for the Earth-Romulan war), and the ramifications of Tucker and T'Pol getting their freak on.

It was the Star Trek prequel that Enterprise was always meant to be.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think I would ever enjoy watching Dr. Who. People can keep telling me how good it is. To me it's just typical British cheesy Sci-Fi. Just don't get it I guess.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The final season has a number of fantastic 2-3 part stories.

1) Augments
2) How the Klingons lost their ridges (to explain the TOS look)
3) 22nd century Mirror Universe & how the humans came to dominate
4) The reform of Vulcan society from the arrogant jackasses of the 22nd century to the less arrogant jackasses we know and love
5) How the humans were able to bring together the disparate founding species that would become the Federation
6) Earth overcoming its own xenophobia (especially in wake of the Xindi attack)

And then it had a couple of running threads through the entire season, including how humanity inadvertently stepped in the Romulans' scheming (beginning the setup for the Earth-Romulan war), and the ramifications of Tucker and T'Pol getting their freak on.

It was the Star Trek prequel that Enterprise was always meant to be.

Star Trek Enterprise is one I want to watch from start to finish. I'll have to put it on my list of DVD collections to get.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I think Andromeda made a mistake when they focused more on Sorbo rather than the ensemble. I liked the other characters, like Harper.
After Sorbo took over (Season 3), it kinda seemed liked Hercules in Space :p

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you have Amazon Prime you can watch it in HD for free.

Yeah, but I'm old school, so DVDs it is.

That way I can watch them even if Amazon decides to screw people over by no longer offering them (see SG-1 on Netflix, or rather, not).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I don't think I would ever enjoy watching Dr. Who. People can keep telling me how good it is. To me it's just typical British cheesy Sci-Fi. Just don't get it I guess.

Do yourself a favor and check out Torchwood if you haven't. It's loosely a Dr Who spinoff that starts out a little like Fringe, but it is much more serious than Dr. Who (no cheese) and very dark sci-fi. Season 1 and 2 are good, but Season 3 is some of the best television ever known to man (IMO).

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005

How about actually watching a couple of episodes. Someone's already mentioned that "Blink" Season 3, Episode 10 is probably the best episode.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Do yourself a favor and check out Torchwood if you haven't. It's loosely a Dr Who spinoff that starts out a little like Fringe, but it is much more serious than Dr. Who (no cheese) and very dark sci-fi. Season 1 and 2 are good, but Season 3 is some of the best television ever known to man (IMO).

I brought up the Wikipedia page for Torchwood and read the following: "Torchwood is a British science fiction television programme"

I stopped reading after that.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
How about actually watching a couple of episodes. Someone's already mentioned that "Blink" Season 3, Episode 10 is probably the best episode.

Yup, Blink was great, although kinda sad. That two parter where they meet devil was pretty good as well.

I brought up the Wikipedia page for Torchwood and read the following: "Torchwood is a British science fiction television programme"

I dunno, seems like the Brits are doing the best TV these days.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010

Then we can't help you. You aren't interested in Sci-Fi. Torchwood blows BSG and any of the later US scifi out of the water...that is..until Starz bought the rights to it and brought it to the US. Season 4 was ok, but nothing like the previous 3 seasons.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Then we can't help you. You aren't interested in Sci-Fi. Torchwood blows BSG and any of the later US scifi out of the water...that is..until Starz bought the rights to it and brought it to the US. Season 4 was ok, but nothing like the previous 3 seasons.

I'm interested in Sci-Fi, just not whatever British Sci-Fi is.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Suit yourself. However, it really sounds like your judgement is clouded over a 1970's tv show. The same could be said about shows made in the 70's pretty much anywhere. Hell..Star Wars is cheesy.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I did see one episode of the new Dr. Who. They were riding flying flamingos, or whatever bird like whatever it was, was.

I didn't want to watch anymore for the fear of me questioning "why" in my mind was becoming too overwhelming.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Yup, Blink was great, although kinda sad. That two parter where they meet devil was pretty good as well.

The impossible planet was a good episode, if nothing else for the fact that they weren't afraid to go where Hollywood went chicken shit with Doom.