MY KERNEL IS COMPILING

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
well if you don't care to fix this via command line gentoo has an easy configuration menu I believe.. haven't played with gentoo in a while. I was just trying to make this easy on you since you aren't really familiar with linux

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Read the manpage for MAKEDEV and see if it mentions input or usb. A clean Debian 2.2r1 installation makes them just fine.

NaughtyusMaximus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Okay... You really didn't need to start your install over again when you couldn't get flux to run. My best suggestion is to print out the Desktop Configuration Guide, and follow it word for word. You can't go wrong.

If you don't want to do that, the quick and dirty is:
cd /usr/bin
./xf86config //if you want to try the graphical setup, I believe it is 'xf86cfg'
nano -w /etc/X11/XF86Config //(make sure everything is okay)
emerge superadduser
superadduser //(create your normal username - make sure you add it to the secondary user group 'wheel')
logout

2. Login as the user you just created
startx //This should pop up an ugly X screen. it works. yay!)

3. Open up an xterm window:
su //(and enter your root password)
emerge fluxbox

4. Edit your rc.conf to tell it to use flux
nano -w /etc/rc.conf
Scroll to the bottom of the document, add the following line:
XSESSION="fluxbox"
Save and exit nano

5. exit X by pressing CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE
startx

;) Hope that sends you in the right direction. If you still have problems, check out forums.gentoo.org

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
ok, by loading an assload of modules, i was able to get a /dev/input/mice

but when i do cat /dev/input/mice and move my mouse, nothing shows up

:(

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
I have no idea wtf you guys are talking about so i am slowly backing away from this nerd infested thread.

-Xionide

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n

Ok, good.

Did you enable USB mouse support in your BIOS?

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

Ok, good.

Did you enable USB mouse support in your BIOS?
yep, usb mouse support had already been enabled

and ps2 sucks ass

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I'm not going to follow the whole thread, but if this is your initial foray into Linux, choose a polished distro like SuSE, Knoppix, or [insert favorite 1337 distro].

Bleeding-edge Gentoo probably isn't the ideal learning environment, and a waste of time compiling 97% of code anyway.

I'm not sure about setup, but you can definitely use X-Windows and the typical window manager w/o a mouse. Admittedly, this input method is not quite as pervasive as with MS Windows, which was initially created to work with a keyboard just as well as a mouse. At the time, MS reportedly wasn't quite convinced the mouse-controlled WIMP GUI it had stolen from Apple was the wave of the future. Remember, it wasn't until Win 3.0 that MS got it somewhat right, and the rest is history.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
and ps2 sucks ass
Wrong, grasshopper. I use a USB > PS/2 adapter on my mouse to free up an extra USB port (not to mention that you can set higher sample rates with PS/2 as opposed to USB in WinXP so the mouse movement is smoother).

And, FWIW, you won't be nearing elite hacker status until you've (successfully) compiled 2.5.x from source tarballs (and understood everything you've done). The elite status is reserved for those who build their own Linux systems (aka LFS, but I'm not giving you a link, because you don't need to start another thread trying to get spoon-fed help on how to do that
rolleye.gif
), or - better yet - those who actually write code that goes in the kernel.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Ok girls, none of you are l33t so keep you snide remarks about how l33t he is to yourself. If all you are doing is posting to rip him a new one then why don't you just save the time it would take to post that drivel and do something productive.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: rahvin
Ok girls, none of you are l33t so keep you snide remarks about how l33t he is to yourself. If all you are doing is posting to rip him a new one then why don't you just save the time it would take to post that drivel and do something productive.

If he wanted serious posts he would have posted in a serious forum.

Just get Debian and stop trying to be an eleet kernel compiling dude. I don't really see the point of Gentoo, compiling vi to load a fraction of a millisecond faster? The only things I compile for speed's sake are Apache and PHP.

If you installed Debian you would be up and running by now.

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
i have booted into windows xp. :( :(
()WN4G3!
You say that as if you're happy that he's been forcefully sucked back into his old system, though he was trying to change his ways. Fvcker. :disgust:

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: jliechty
()WN4G3!
You say that as if you're happy that he's been forcefully sucked back into his old system, though he was trying to change his ways. Fvcker. :disgust:

Easier is better, even if it does nothing to improve you, your life, or the way you feel. Forget self improvement. You have been brain washed by intelligence, stop thinking. Just go with the flow and don't rock the boat.

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: jliechty
()WN4G3!

Forcefully? He wasn't ready to do what he thought he wanted to do. He should've done his homework before trying to be 1337. And yes, it's funny.

;)

-geoff