Modern home materials & technologies discussion thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dekton has a new Slim line out:

It's an ultra-light version of Dekton for stuff like furniture cladding:

Cabinet veneers:

Instagram tags:

Notes:

* 4mm thickness (2 lbs/sq.ft)
* Sold in slabs up to 126 x 56" (reduces the number of joints required)
* Ultra-resistant to moisture, fire, scratching, and stains (good for bathrooms, kitchens, etc.)
* Can be cut on-site using ceramic tile tools

This is exactly the product I've been looking for!

Reactions: skyking
Nov 20, 2009
Tried to find this at the big box stores and could not. I found their regular tiled Dekton products, but not the Dekton Slim sheet product. Most unfortunate. At the density of 2 pounds per square foot that can used as shower walls.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tried to find this at the big box stores and could not. I found their regular tiled Dekton products, but not the Dekton Slim sheet product. Most unfortunate. At the density of 2 pounds per square foot that can used as shower walls.

I think it would be amazing with the Kerdi system in a bathroom! Or Blum's metal box cabinet system in a kitchen!

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Look for "fabricators", Lowe's and Home Depot will be slower to handle the line since they have to set up "blanket per sq. foot" deals with the fabricators/installers.
The fabricators/installers won't set up a "blanket deal" with the big box stores until they know their costs from experience (especially on something this thin, this dense, and probably easily broken if handled wrong).

I have Dekton countertops in 20mm (25/32"), and the only real worry (manufacturer's caution) is heavy impact from a good height (so not a real worry at all).
But it does make me wonder about the support system needed for 4mm (5/32"). Ultra dense products just do not flex, period.

BTW - They have also added 30mm (1-3/16") product to the mix also.

Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Holy crap! Someone paired CNC/Pick-and-place technology with cinder blocks. Can't wait for this to be applied to ICF's!

I wonder if they could merge the process of ICF-block creation with the machine in the future, i.e. load up the truck with raw material, drive it out to the site, have it pump out the ICF shape using various molds, and then locate & place on-site:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Cool video, promising concept. It will certainly speed up wall building, but (there is always a but), I didn't see the machine that builds the slab the blocks are placed on. I didn't see any reinforcing steel being placed, I didn't see what happens over the top of wall openings. Those are really big holes in the demonstration.

When it's all done, you have unreinforced masonry walls. I assume the entire interior surface will have to be built out to allow for plumbing, electrical, insulation and some sort of covering.
I'd be very interested is seeing how the roof structure is stacked and connected to the blocks as well.

Nov 20, 2009
Bricks do not go on slabs. They go on footings. Slabs are then poured afterwards. Well, at least that is how residential construction concrete is down around my neck of the woods. Commercial is conventional tilt-up precast slabs.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Bricks do not go on slabs. They go on footings. Slabs are then poured afterwards. Well, at least that is how residential construction concrete is down around my neck of the woods. Commercial is conventional tilt-up precast slabs.
That's a design decision. There is no reason not to pour a monolithic slab then build off of it. Around here it's always slab first then walls. Though block walls are almost never used around here.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
You're talking about snow country, an entirely different set of conditions. Lots of places don't have a frost line, so you pour monolithic in those areas. It's much easier to work off of a slab than a pile of dirt.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Same here, footings are monolithic with the slab.
Only multi-story have footings and then slab-on-grade for the first floor construction.
We rarely see floating slabs used anymore.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Cool video, promising concept. It will certainly speed up wall building, but (there is always a but), I didn't see the machine that builds the slab the blocks are placed on. I didn't see any reinforcing steel being placed, I didn't see what happens over the top of wall openings. Those are really big holes in the demonstration.

When it's all done, you have unreinforced masonry walls. I assume the entire interior surface will have to be built out to allow for plumbing, electrical, insulation and some sort of covering.
I'd be very interested is seeing how the roof structure is stacked and connected to the blocks as well.
I'm not seeing any glue on the head joints either. Without vertical reinforcement every 4' and horizontal every other course, it would only be allowed for non-bearing interior walls at most.
And who really wants interior walls of block?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Or pour with grade beams deep enough for frost. Lots of ways to pour a monolithic, reinforced slab.

In austraila the houses are built with block walls in and out. They stucco over the outside and plaster the inside. No vapor barrier, no insulation. Barely any reinforcement. They set metal truses on top with some long tapcons, slat the roof with one by and then cover it with stamped metal panels. Drywall the celings. No insulation. Its nuts. The company house we had in Perth had a portable nat gas catalytic / ventless heater for a 3k sq ft house. It does get below freezing there in the winter on the regular.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'm not seeing any glue on the head joints either. Without vertical reinforcement every 4' and horizontal every other course, it would only be allowed for non-bearing interior walls at most.
And who really wants interior walls of block?
Here in earthquake country it simply wouldn't be allowed. Concrete block has rebar from the foundation up through the top course and a bond beam on top. Every course has a horizontal bar and every core is filled.

Lego houses are a popular idea because they cut costs, but they have to be flexible enough to work in different areas. I'm sure they will eventually get there, but it's going to be a few more years before there ready for prime time.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Robotic cmu or brick placement is a great idea, but implementation in a controlled environment is much different than in the field. The smallest pebble or chip under a unit ruins production as they sit tight. Proprietary cmu s, the need for ultra flat and level pad/footings is problematic as well as the other reasons already mentioned. Masonry is a series of small adjustments (mud). It could work in single story, very dry areas since it looks like it may receive full stucco applications easily with the empty head joints.
That being said, I've recently seen large modular brick panels, which could be easily done by robotics in a controlled environment, moved onsite being set with cranes, which seems more feasible.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Invisicook: an induction cooktop that goes under your existing (compatible) countertop:

This is bananas lol:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Murphy doors:

The French doors are pretty neat:

1673493447570.png

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Pullouts in cabinets are pretty much standard now. It's been at least fifteen years since I've done a kitchen without them.

Reactions: Kaido