[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 395 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm sure they'll make enough shit up, Japan has enough prototypes. Almost all of japan's tanks are lights, and medium/heavy tanks only existed in concept. You don't hear about any tank battles in the pacific because they don't have appreciable amounts of tanks.

The sherman was monstrous in comparison, and the japanese only hastily developed the Chi-Nu as a counter and those I don't think those ever saw combat. The chi-ha, the scrawny tier 4 thing, is the only "real" tank produced by japan.

You also have to remember that Japan really didn't have the resources to churn tanks out after encountering US forces that actually used them as their industries were being bombed by then.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I think part of the shortages is also because of the fact that most of their production was directed at building a naval and air force. Japan is an island nation and their focus was on naval and air superiority, and infantry support is really a secondary concern. Any large tank design was developed after their "invincible" fleet got decimated, after 43 and 44 and they were designed around protecting the japanese homeland.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I think part of the shortages is also because of the fact that most of their production was directed at building a naval and air force. Japan is an island nation and their focus was on naval and air superiority, and infantry support is really a secondary concern. Any large tank design was developed after their "invincible" fleet got decimated, after 43 and 44 and they were designed around protecting the japanese homeland.

And why have tanks when those little islands could be bombed with big ship guns and bombed with planes. The other issue is the logistics of moving and deploying tanks on those islands. Even the US had problems in the pacific and at normandy.

The terrain was also very jungly and volcanic, sandy and not exactly suited to tank warfare like Europe was.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
You can't bomb everything to death. Iwo Jima was shelled for MONTHS and there were still considerable resistance. I agree though the lack of tanks is not so much that japan didn't need it to island hop, it was that their combat doctrine and the terrains of southeast asia kinda discouraged tank usage. They had tankettes and light tanks on many of the islands though.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The Pacific War was just plain different than the western counter part. They thought differently and fought differently due to various reasons and one of them being how the land lay. Most of the Japenese line will be from tanks that never really existed or saw action. That's pretty typical WoT anyway. There are already many tanks in the game that never even got off the drafting table. The Japanese will be more so obviously.

As for the S.Pershing. I tested it some last night and some today. It's not that bad of a change/nerf. I was still bouncing shells and whatnot. I'm still testing it because I figure the armor reduction should be more obvious. Seriously, I'm finding it not that bad. I need to test it more. And I agree that the Lowe and Type 59 are premo money makers in WoT. I've always considered the S.Pershing not that far behind. Best credit making for me today was 91k credits in one battle. Had some 70s. Most in the 50s. I'll test some more. As it is right now I'm keeping mine. You dont have to make kills. Just do damage. That'll give you the credits. And that's what the gold tanks are designed to do in WoT. Make money. Not to dominate a battle or be impregnable. People tend to forget that.

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
You can't bomb everything to death. Iwo Jima was shelled for MONTHS and there were still considerable resistance. I agree though the lack of tanks is not so much that japan didn't need it to island hop, it was that their combat doctrine and the terrains of southeast asia kinda discouraged tank usage. They had tankettes and light tanks on many of the islands though.

Oh no doubt, when it comes down to it land is captured with infantry. Shelling only accomplishes so much. The Japanese just had no real use for tanks when they were invading non-mechanized islands with really minimal resistance and in turn defending islands where resources were better spent on tunnels and bunkers to defend an island.

I'm not sure which nation we go towards now with new tanks. Did Italians have tanks? Canadians maybe... I suppose they could be tossed in and reuse a lot of British/American tanks. I've not heard anything in regards to that though.

EDIT: OH derp. It's the Japanese line. Sigh.

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I remember there were japanese cavalry in china though, can't really remember my history on that.

At least most of the prototypes eventually turned into real tanks, or were based on working designs. Japanese tanks were all mostly just concept, especially later in the war. Who knows what WG will spew out though...

Mar 10, 2005
has anyone else found the RNG has been especially harsh since 8.8 released? maybe i'm getting especially large blocks of especially low rolls. awesome.

another thing i noticed was a t-59 shooting me over a crest, while i had no LOS to him (close distance, i was zoomed in right at him). is that 1 of the invisible tricks WG does to "improve" the game?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
has anyone else found the RNG has been especially harsh since 8.8 released? maybe i'm getting especially large blocks of especially low rolls. awesome.

another thing i noticed was a t-59 shooting me over a crest, while i had no LOS to him (close distance, i was zoomed in right at him). is that 1 of the invisible tricks WG does to "improve" the game?

For those moments you should watch the replay, and explore the map in a training room to figure out wtf happened. The crest may decline down into an elevated plateau, which would give him a slight elevation to shoot at you while denying you shots to everything but the hardest part of his turret. There's plenty of places on every map where you can abuse the terrain to get shots off at people without them being able to return fire.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
it almost feels like there was a ninja pen nerf or armor buff, a lot of shots that normally pen, aren't for some reason lately.

it's probably rng tho others have mentioned it in game as well

Mar 10, 2005
For those moments you should watch the replay, and explore the map in a training room to figure out wtf happened. The crest may decline down into an elevated plateau, which would give him a slight elevation to shoot at you while denying you shots to everything but the hardest part of his turret. There's plenty of places on every map where you can abuse the terrain to get shots off at people without them being able to return fire.

i don't record, since i'm short on hard drive space - the last time i recorded, it ate up several GBs on my ssd.

anyway, the t-59 barely (i mean a pixel or 2) had the top of his machine gun clearing the crest, well above the roof of his turret. i can only conclude the t-59's effective sight/barrel is well above the graphically represented barrel.

on another note, i have reached 10 million damage inflicted (knispel's medal 1st class)

Last edited:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The replays are very small. It's not really a recording of the video, just a script for the game engine to replay what happened.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
i don't record, since i'm short on hard drive space - the last time i recorded, it ate up several GBs on my ssd.

anyway, the t-59 barely (i mean a pixel or 2) had the top of his machine gun clearing the crest, well above the roof of his turret. i can only conclude the t-59's effective sight/barrel is well above the graphically represented barrel.

on another note, i have reached 10 million damage inflicted (knispel's medal 1st class)

the replays are only about 1-3 megs each. Just delete them every week; I have a few beautiful gems of games that would've never gotten picked up otherwise.

If the type 59 is cresting, there's really no good way for him to shoot at you, the gun depression is not good.

Unless it's like the scenario like I said, where he's actually hulled down and barely crested so he's able to get a shot at you... but the general rule is if you can't see down the sights of his barrel, he can't shoot you. All of the shells are traced from the gun mantlet outward, not from where the barrel exits so you can't shoot through corners or through stone fences and whatnot.

Are you sure it's the type 59 shooting at you and not some invisible tank from beyond your range? If it's just the top of his machine gun poking out from behind the hill there's no way in hell he could've shot you.

C101

Mar 26, 2008

If you graphics quality (I think terrain quality) is low, then your computer will smooth over parts of the map in an attempt to reduce the number of polygons being displayed. This can sometimes result in symptoms such as you describe, or other effects such as misshapen rock formations.

Mar 10, 2005
the replays are only about 1-3 megs each. Just delete them every week; I have a few beautiful gems of games that would've never gotten picked up otherwise.

If the type 59 is cresting, there's really no good way for him to shoot at you, the gun depression is not good.

Unless it's like the scenario like I said, where he's actually hulled down and barely crested so he's able to get a shot at you... but the general rule is if you can't see down the sights of his barrel, he can't shoot you. All of the shells are traced from the gun mantlet outward, not from where the barrel exits so you can't shoot through corners or through stone fences and whatnot.

Are you sure it's the type 59 shooting at you and not some invisible tank from beyond your range? If it's just the top of his machine gun poking out from behind the hill there's no way in hell he could've shot you.

i'm sure it was the 59, he was the only 59 present and this was the killing blow. the base of the barrel/hole in the mantlet has always been regarded as the origin of a shot, but now i have doubts. like i said, only the smallest trace of his mg was showing. it took several seconds to play out, way too long for lag/lag correction to be a factor. i wish i did record it - a perfect example of those video game moments where your mouth hangs open in shock and then you say out loud "wtf was THAT???"

If you graphics quality (I think terrain quality) is low, then your computer will smooth over parts of the map in an attempt to reduce the number of polygons being displayed. This can sometimes result in symptoms such as you describe, or other effects such as misshapen rock formations.

i use the default high, although i couldn't tell you which individual settings that sets to medium

edit:
this was in the smaller dunes in the southwest corner of the sand river map

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
that's super weird, because the type 59 has shit for gun depression. That area of the dunes is really rugged though, so it's possible he was elevated and his turret looked like it was clipping behind the sand dunes and wasn't. But it's kind of impossible to tell without a replay though. The next time I'm on sand river in my type I'll take a look.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
hmm is everyone using xvm test2 ?
some people's stats don't show up, odd. i should just wait until a final release is out

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
wow teams are pretty horrible today, did a whopping 3/22 in matches so far
and they were not even close, where over 1/2 my team died with 0 damage done....hahahaha

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
and they were not even close, where over 1/2 my team died with 0 damage done....hahahaha

Come to WarThunder, where a single smart player often does swing a battle. My team has won 7 of my last 10 matches, my K/D is almost never <1, and I just started a couple weeks ago. Comparing bad matches, the difference in stress levels between the two games is like the difference between getting bit by a thirty pound dog and eating some stale cookies.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de

Is there a tool to do statistical analysis on player stats regarding other players in random matches?

A week ago I played on an evening to achieve the 15 wins for 250000 creds. It was incredible (with my average crews) - I just needed 18 matches. 2 were lost and one was draw. Two days later it was more like 3 wins out of 10.