[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 388 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Disagree. TDs of the same tier are way more OP than heavies.

Only from the front. ;)

If you think this already, I can't wait until you meet a Foch155.

TD's are ok. They're not by favorite playstyle. They do very well when you have a useful team, which is...not as common as we'd all like.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
There is enough variety in terrain and vehicles that it does all depend on the setup, but in my experience a TD that tries to duke it out is going to get do and take a lot of damage. Obvious exceptions are the JT, e3 or e4, etc. If the engagement is happening at 100m or less there is a very good chance that their opponent will keep nailing weak points, or they may close to brawling range and flank the TD. Either way, few TDs have a turret and that prevents ideal angling and hurts mobility. IMO, the only time most TDs should try to duke it out is when they can enter the engagement with a nice shot to someone's side, or when their team is zerging.

TDs are OP because of superior pen and alpha. DPM doesn't matter a ton unless you are brawling or sniping in camo, the rest of the time you and they will be constantly ducking into cover, interrupting your firing cycles. Alpha is king, especially when we are talking about 1k or more of it.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Only from the front. ;)

If you think this already, I can't wait until you meet a Foch155.

TD's are ok. They're not by favorite playstyle. They do very well when you have a useful team, which is...not as common as we'd all like.

I like to call the f155 the Win Button. I completely gave up on my is8 (and all of t9, really) after the second time one of those fucking things tracked and one-clipped me.

T10 TDs are definitely the worst about it. WG completely killed high tier matches for me back when they added t10 TDs and meds.

Last edited:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea i kinda wish they never released tier X meds or TDs
should have just created new med/TD lines for each country

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I like to call the f155 the Win Button. I completely gave up on my is8 (and all of t9, really) after the second time one of those fucking things tracked and one-clipped me.

T10 TDs are definitely the worst about it. WG completely killed high tier matches for me back when they added t10 TDs and meds.

oh don't feel too bad. It one clips E-100s and Mauses too. an IS-8 is like breakfast, they can eat you and still have another shot to kill something else. But it has a huge reload, has gianormous frontal weakpoints and has nonexistant side armor so any arty shot will pretty much gib it.

But I don't really consider them the biggest threat on the battle field, a good batchat is still the most ridiculous tank along with other autoloader mediums. And I've found a good TD is still not the carry-tank that good heavies/mediums are. The reload is just too long to help out during swarms.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
it has a huge reload, has gianormous frontal weakpoints and has nonexistant side armor so any arty shot will pretty much gib it.
The problem is that the above is completely meaningless when
It one clips E-100s and Mauses too.
A long reload is not any kind of a down side when you can remove any one vehicle from the field on sight. Sure, it and the other stuff means your allies may be able to avenge your death, but even then the F155 has broken even. It is also a small target (frontally) and it has a very nice camo bonus, so it is entirely likely it will get away and do the same thing to someone else. It may not be able to carry an entire team like a good batchat, but that doesn't mean it isn't OP as hell. In sum, I judge vehicles on their performance in a 1v1 against an equivalent opponent, so when one t10 can destroy another t10 just by clicking three times I just can't help but declare it "OP as fuck."

But I don't really consider them the biggest threat on the battle field, a good batchat is still the most ridiculous tank along with other autoloader mediums. And I've found a good TD is still not the carry-tank that good heavies/mediums are. The reload is just too long to help out during swarms.
Before the massive arty nerf, I loved batchats. It was really satisfying to have one charge my 212 and pop it like a zit with plain HE. But anyway, I will agree that TDs often have problems during a swarm, when alpha isn't nearly as important as brawling ability and DPM. On the other hand, when they see the swarm coming and two immediately knock the lead zerger down to <20% it tends to take the wind out of their sails.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I don't disagree with you on it being op, but keep in mind of its strengths and play around it. It gets tracking shots or ricochet like every tank. Just because it CAN clip a tank doesn't mean it will do it all the time. Catch it when it's reloading and it's a free kill, the whole thing is a giant weakspot.

Or track it and go around, like all other TDs. The camo bonus also completely vanishes when it fires, but I think the OBJ is sneakier for the most part.

I mean, not all the tactics are always viable when you're faced down with a TD. You gotta pick and choose your fights, and sometimes the best course of action is to refuse the confrontation and go pick on someone else, and then come back to fight the TD when you have more of an advantage like a hull down position, a slope, or something else.

Don't forget the terrain is also a weapon.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm loving my Hallcat and Jackson TDs. They are carrying me to the 30 kill special currently going on. That's all I'm doing lately. Get to 30 kills as quick as possible and get my 300k creds and get out. Basically I'm rotating from my Lowe, S.Pershing, T59, IS6, Jackson, and Hellcat. Ocassionally throw in some other tanks for the daily double if I'm feeling lucky but 2/3 of my kills come from the Jackson and Hellcat because I'm playing them so much and they perform well most of the time. TDs in the game are doing really well now their tier. I get 2-3 kills per game usually and sometimes 5-6 kills when I play good and mm and enemy teams cooperate. I do have some bad games of course but more win than lose and I make creds or at worse break even.

I dont think TDs are OP. Once spotted their life time is very short. At least from what I'm seeing. and experiencing. I do see more TDs now of course but it doesn't mean anything unbalanced. They are strong, yes, but not OP. I've seen teams extremely heavy on TDs and get completely destroyed. You just have to deal with them like anything else in the game. Good scouts will light them up.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
platoon'ng all morning, so much easier to turn the tide of a battle and control the outcome, even tho there's only 2 of us compared to me by myself.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
For once I'm not here to bitch, honestly, I'm not even sure what to do...

shot_0092.png

One of those kills probably shouldn't count, since the first thing I did was nail a Cromwell right in the gas tank from the other side of Kampinovka's field.

I had meant for that to be the last match before I sold the KV3 in favor of a T-150... But the whole reason for the "downgrade" is to get a less horrible MM, and I've actually been getting a lot of t8 and t7 matches tonight.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i sold my kv-3 awhile ago after going on a 7-8 straight losing streak, rage sold it.
it was one of my favorite tanks tho, especially once it got moved to tier 7

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I never had it when it was t6, I'd think it would have been better then, though. When it was moved up, all it got was a bigger engine and more HP, right?

I want to like the kv3, but I just can't. Anyone t7+ that isn't a complete moron will pen it pretty reliably. I know there are plenty of t6s that can do that too, like the kv1s, but it isn't as common and I think the t150 will be more competitive within its own tier since its hull is shorter, side armor is just as strong as the kv3's, and it is faster. Alpha isn't nearly as good, but it is still pretty nice for t6 and the RoF is also pretty decent.

I've never played the t150, though. I unlocked the kv3 before the t150 was in the game. It looks really good on paper, though, and it won't get t9s 2/3 of the time like the kv3 normally does. Even if it is equally cursed with t8s, I shouldn't ever lose money with it, and I would rather face t8s in a t6 than t9s in a t7 anyway.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
dunno, i got a 100% T150 crew and that tank sucked ass
i'd just work on something else honestly

sold the t150 right away when the russian split happened

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I rebought the KV3 recently to get to the KV4 and ST-I. Those three tanks are just plain trollish in pubs. A bit of angling and good luck penning them. I am debating about selling the KV-2, tossing that crew on my KV-5 and using the crew I had on my 5 (yes I did not know about crew swapping for a LONG time) to rebuy the KV3 so I have a trollish 7, 8, and 9. The IS4 can suck it though. I sold that long ago and have no intention to rebuy it.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
T150 and kvs both have 90 on their sides, they should be just as bouncy, right? What made the 150 so bad?

I did get bounces in the kv3, but to hear good players tell it I should have been bouncing tigers all the time, and that just isn't gonna happen. I think part of the kv3's problem is an inflated reputation, left over from when it was an op t6.

Mar 10, 2005
i'm also growing very frustrated with both tigers' low speed. the tiger p is worse, with especially poor acceleration and turning, despite a 5 kph higher top speed i never obtain.
on that new map, i was caught in the flat open between my spawn and my flag by heavies and tds that were able to cover greater distance, over the mountains. 8.8 will "rebalance" the engines - i'm expecting them to be even slower.

confirmed, the tigers are getting their engines and tracks gimped. i am permanently done with this Fucked Up Beyond All Repair game once 8.8 is released.

Mar 10, 2005
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/273537-88-tiger-changes/

All in all they greatly buffed the gun, heavily nerfed the mobility. oh and turret traverse is very painful now :(

my mistake, the tracks are slightly improved, the turret traverse is terrible. many posters are claiming they aren't able to achieve anything near the stated top speed unless falling off a cliff. what good is a ROF buff on a gun that still can't pen the turret of the dominant tank in its class? i can bounce 1.5 times faster now.

the only changes to the tiger p is a small view range buff - still slow, still garbage turret, no gun buffs.

so they're giving me a buff i didn't need (and still doesn't address a hull-down t29) and crippling mobility which i was already sore over. yeah, fuck this game.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
If they ruin the tiger p I might also take another months-long break. I just don't know what I will pick up instead. Maybe I will try Planetside again, though I really suck at that.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/273537-88-tiger-changes/

my mistake, the tracks are slightly improved, the turret traverse is terrible. many posters are claiming they aren't able to achieve anything near the stated top speed unless falling off a cliff. what good is a ROF buff on a gun that still can't pen the turret of the dominant tank in its class? i can bounce 1.5 times faster now.

the only changes to the tiger p is a small view range buff - still slow, still garbage turret, no gun buffs.

so they're giving me a buff i didn't need (and still doesn't address a hull-down t29) and crippling mobility which i was already sore over. yeah, fuck this game.

I'm curious, what would address a hull down T29 for you?

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
So I'm trying to debate between the T150 and the KV-1s. As a new player, I think someone said to stay away from the KV-1s. I plan to unlock both eventually, but i need to figure out which one to focus on first since i have limited slots.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
So I'm trying to debate between the T150 and the KV-1s. As a new player, I think someone said to stay away from the KV-1s. I plan to unlock both eventually, but i need to figure out which one to focus on first since i have limited slots.

In your KV, which of the following best describes what you are normally thinking?

1. I love this thing, it tanks hits like a beast and I am a juggernaut.
2. Curse this slow behemoth, if it weren't such a slug I might be able to really turn this match around.

If #1 then take the 150, if #2 then take the 1s. It all comes down to play style and preference. If you really want to improve you should try to master play styles that don't come to you naturally, but you're new so first you should probably nail down what does come naturally.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Rounds like this one after going 3 for 20 make me really question staying in this game...

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
a gun that still can't pen the turret of the dominant tank

If you're shooting the T29's turret with anything other than tier 10 guns with gold rounds:

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

If you're trying to fight a hulled down T29 that only has its turret exposed:

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Seriously it sounds like you don't know how to play the game when you make idiotic statements like that. I don't even shoot T29s in the turret with my tier 9s, you know why?

BECAUSE IT BOUNCES TIER 10 GUNS RELIABLY.

jesus fucking christ.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
If you're shooting the T29's turret with anything other than tier 10 guns with gold rounds:

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

If you're trying to fight a hulled down T29 that only has its turret exposed:

YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Seriously it sounds like you don't know how to play the game when you make idiotic statements like that. I don't even shoot T29s in the turret with my tier 9s, you know why?

BECAUSE IT BOUNCES TIER 10 GUNS RELIABLY.

jesus fucking christ.

Lol yeah, pretty much why I questioned exactly what he wanted them to do to "address a hull-down T29". Here's your answer: shoot his hull. Otherwise, good luck. Thought this was common knowledge.