[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 390 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I'd argue the IS series is easier to play until tier 9. The american series require knowledge of maps and where you should go and not go, because if they're not hulled down they're free kills. The IS, and the IS 3 are both great tanks in their tier, though it tapers off after that with the mediocre IS8 and the terrible IS4 and IS7.

IS3 is the only really great one in there. IS has a great punch, but no armor and terrible accuracy and reload. If you can make one miss you can mess it up. T29, though, you wouldn't want to try that.

IS8 is terrible for a T9 because it cannot carry. It has to play support. Since it often ends up as the top dog on your side, you can't do what you need to do, which is anchor a point. Especially not compared to an E75 or M103

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I got the Alecto yesterday (IV british TD). This thing is hilarious - it's fast, small, maneuverable, and just fun to play, but I'm pretty sure it's armor is made of glue and paper. I have the tier V derp howitzer on it. First game: ace tanker badge, and top gun! I may keep this little thing.

TD's are OP! ;)

English td line is quite diverse. T3 and t4 are low armor and fast, t5 and t6 are slow with high armor. With at2 you'll get a Lot of steel wall awards.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
AT2 is a total stud at T5. Really, 200+ frontal armor at that level is absurd. Even the sides are hard to pen. The thing laughs off derp heat rounds.

The problem is that the AT8 has the same armor at T6, which is OK. And the AT7 has the same armor at T7 which is really not. The guns get better as you go up the line, sure, but the mobility and armor don't. It's one of the few lines that picking up the next tank is a serious downgrade from the previous one.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
haha, I actually dislike the AT2. It's like the T95, minus the big gun. It can't get to where you need it to be and by the time you get there it's over.

The tumors are also huge on every one of these tanks and they'll be filled with bulletholes every game. Unlike the KV5 you can't hide those tumors.... a bit off topic but it's another one of the reasons why I dislike the french TDs. They ALL have that ridiculous tumor that get penned left and right.

The british tanks have the tumor AND they're slow. The tortoise is a fucking star though. That gun is wayyyyy too strong.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
ugh so german tanks are losing the top engines? they're already so dog slow.
e75 is gonna suffer with only the 900hp engine now. 1200hp is gone :(

from what i read the amx50 B might get a slight buff, i hope this comes true, since it sucks ass compared to the 57

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
ugh so german tanks are losing the top engines? they're already so dog slow.
e75 is gonna suffer with only the 900hp engine now. 1200hp is gone :(

from what i read the amx50 B might get a slight buff, i hope this comes true, since it sucks ass compared to the 57

Dafuq? I JUST bought the top engine for my E-75. Why are they removing engines?

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
Is there value in forcing your crew to learn it's first skill/perk (100%) early on like T2 or T3 and carry them over? I typically wasn't carrying over until T4/5, but I'm starting to think early skill/perk could be really nice having.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
only if you plan to keep that tier 2-3 tank. Otherwise you skill up much faster later on and it'd be faster to level in a tier 5-8 tank and then transferring back down. XP gain isn't proportional to tier, it's a hard number.

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
only if you plan to keep that tier 2-3 tank. Otherwise you skill up much faster later on and it'd be faster to level in a tier 5-8 tank and then transferring back down. XP gain isn't proportional to tier, it's a hard number.

Sorry, you lost me. It isn't proportional to tier so why would it'd be much faster in a later tier? I'm basically looking to make my life more enjoyable grinding down a line by forcing myself to learn a perk early. It sounds like it's not worth grinding for a perk until T5 at the earliest.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Sorry, you lost me. It isn't proportional to tier so why would it'd be much faster in a later tier? I'm basically looking to make my life more enjoyable grinding down a line by forcing myself to learn a perk early. It sounds like it's not worth grinding for a perk until T5 at the earliest.

Sorry let me clarify:

The amount of exp you gain is the amount of crew exp you get no matter the tier. The "isn't proportional to tier" means that your guy needs 1500 exp to gain a % regardless of whether you are at tier 1 or tier 10. It doesn't matter if your crew is trained for the E-100 or the leichttraktor: they still need 1500 exp to gain a percentage.

So since tier 2 and 3s are gimped for exp gain (100-200 a game), you are better off leveling in tier 8-9s where you get 500-1k exp a game. You'll spend a disproportionally long time leveling up a tier 2-3 crew versus leveling one in your tier 6 scout and then retraining them back down using gold or credits.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
looks like the new russian med tier X, isn't going to be worth the grind if you already have a T62a. minimal diff between them

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
IS3 is the only really great one in there. IS has a great punch, but no armor and terrible accuracy and reload. If you can make one miss you can mess it up. T29, though, you wouldn't want to try that.

Yeah, I don't know why so many people think the IS-3 is a great tank. It is "ok". Anyone who knows how to play knows how to pen it from the front. There are only a few maps with a few spots on the map that a good IS-3 player can use to protect it's front (see my post http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=35244455&postcount=9061 for an example of being in one of those spots, but there are not many of those). On the move and in the open the tank is very vulnerable. It has decent speed, but it's reload and damage are not that great compared to other tanks, and forget about it holding its own against even tier 9 mediums, as it will get run over.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

Can anyone point me to youtube videos that are worth while for improving?

I'd watch some of garbad's replays just because he's one of the most visible good players on the forums. Look around on the forums and you should see him everywhere, he has a lot of threads on how he plays tanks and some journals too.

Just be warned he derps a lot.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'd watch some of garbad's replays just because he's one of the most visible good players on the forums. Look around on the forums and you should see him everywhere, he has a lot of threads on how he plays tanks and some journals too.

Just be warned he derps a lot.

Pssst, he is banned on the official forum now.

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
It's kinda sad but lately I've just been using XVM stats to find the best or one of the best players on my team and just follow them to see what they do on any given map.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
why is that sad? It's a good idea. You don't want to learn from people who are worse than you, they won't teach you anything except for obvious things that you SHOULDN'T do like trying to ram a KV-5 in your T-21.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's kinda sad but lately I've just been using XVM stats to find the best or one of the best players on my team and just follow them to see what they do on any given map.

:thumbsup:

Not a bad plan at all. Sticking together is ALWAYS better, and sticking with somebody who might know how to play is even better.

If you can do it safely, it's also helpful to watch what the 40-percenters do too. They often charge out into open fields for no reason, shoot randomly just begging to expose themselves and die, or they get right behind your heavy tank in their light tank, in one of those heavy tank peek-a-boo locations, so you can't back up then you get pummeled.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea stick with someone good and kinda back them up.
i was in my e50m the other night and kicked it with 3 foch155's and just covered them while they reloaded, good times to be had by all haha

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
yeah, and i'd gladly eat a round for a good player as opposed to a 45%. Those people you don't go out of your way to save.

Aug 30, 2013
Sticking together is definitely a good plan, sticking together with someone who knows how to play is way better. :) Had a T5 game lately, we were 2 against 5, but still we won. or maybe was it just dumb luck. what servers are you guys on?