[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 362 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The Lemmings and bad players always come out when there are specials like this weekend. When this happens I tend to stick to tanks, like the Premium tanks, that guarantee me money even in a loss. At least with the loss battles I can earn money. That is something at least. That or I just dont play.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Specials really do bring all the retards to the yard, but you've got to remember just how stupid the playerbase is to begin with. Not even considering what I see during specials, I have seen teams lemming Lakeview's valley on encounter more than once. During the countdown people will point out that this is encounter, and they will still do it because they are just that fucking stupid. I've also seen 8-9 T10s charge down some flank, get one kill, all die, and do it all inside of three minutes. And then there's the jokesters in TOG platoons, the casual TKer, and the m37 with his GWP buddy...

I really don't know how anyone good can tolerate enough of this game to get several T10s and put hours and hours into practice and clan wars. I just play for fun (while winning 56% of the time), and I mostly avoid specials.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I had pretty good luck yesterday and today, 70%~ winrate solo pubbing, but I had to carry hard a few times. The lemmings seem to be on the OTHER side for me this time, which tends to not be the case usually.

Heck, our lemmings even managed to zerg down a unicorn platoon while I picked off 4 bads. Taking out that platoon probably won us the game right there.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
You gotta have 2-3 people in valley to flank. The middle road is actually very important for sniping the town in encounter. City fighting is where you can tell who are the really good players... good players push, flank and hide with the buildings, whereas the bads just poke their heads out in the same spot over and over. It's one of the hardest things to do in the game and you can easily tell who has a good tactical mindset in the city.

2-3 tanks are then out of the battle for a good 3 min and have to spend another 2 to actually get to town.

In lakeville encounter there is no reason for a SINGLE tank to go valley. Middle, sure, valley NO.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I can't decide if I want to go down the Leopard line with German tanks or just finish the American autoloaders after selling my T69... with the changes to accuracy unloading a full clip into the side of the tank should be much quicker and make the tanks more deadly. Theoretically, I haven't read the forums and judged how the changes affected the autoloading tanks.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
got the amx50b finally after grinding the last push all special weekend long, it's actually a LOT better than the amx50 120. faster, faster reload, etc.. i seem to play this a lot more carefully than the 50 120 so maybe that's it also.

next up after i finish the T32 grind and get the m103 unlocked, i'll start down the T57 line.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I know one thing for sure. The nuts, crazies, whatever you want to call them, they dont just play low tier tanks. Its pretty much across the whole tier spectrum. Anyway I played the Churchil VII with gold shells this weekend when I could find the time. It helped grind the tank to the Black Prince and grind the crew skills as well. The 100% credit boost made a big difference on this tank. Now I just need to get around to buying the Black Prince. On my WoT to do list.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
The retards where out in full force over the holidays. I saw plenty of teams with not a single person over 50% w/r (excluding my platoon).

I came close to rage selling the E5 over the weekend. I tried 4 times to get my x5 with it on Sunday without success. I can get over 2-3k damage with it, and still lose. The tumor is just too big of a weakspot for me to handle, and the sides are so weak, that even a 20 degree angle leaves them exposed. I really don't see why people like the tank so much.

Overall I capitalized on all the x5 xp and finished by KV-3 grind and I finally got my hellcat. Also with all the x5s, I was able to net me about 10k free xp a day, which got me back to my comfort level of 100k free xp.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I actually did pretty well this weekend, didn't play yesterday but I ended up with around 65% win rate over a wide variety of tiers. The most reliable was tier 7. Not too many arty and most of the time I ended up on top. With the T29 and black prince I can really punish people who make mistakes, and the comet is definitely growing to be one of my favorite tanks.

I know people hate it, but the thing just fits so right with my playstyle... Rapid firing flanking mobile gun platform that turns on a dime.

The E5 is a great tank. You can't sit exposed while hulling down because the tumor is very vulnerable, but I found that I can peek out and shoot with remarkable accuracy most of the time. If you DO hull down though, the added angle makes the tumor harder to pen.

I see it as a medium range support heavy rather than the up-in-your-face E-100 or Is-7. Optimum engagement distance is 200-300m. If I'm playing peek a boom, I rush out, snap a shot and then raise my gun to block shots to the tumor. I change positions slightly if I see people aiming at where I popped out previously... it generally throws off their aim a bit.

The tumor has around 200mm~ worth of armor with some very weird angles so you can easily hit the 70 degree auto bounce with a bit of position change. It's fairly nimble but its definitely not a side scraping tank. 2-3k damage on this tank is fairly normal, for carrying you need to do over 5k-6k damage.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
4x? i had a string of 15+ losses on the kv-3 before i got so pissed i sold it LOL.

as for w/r, i see the point of it but i don't think it weighs as much as people harp on it.
i've pubbed pretty much the entire 2 years and if your team sucks, you're gonna lose period. and i've pubbed solo. i'm hovering at 51% w/r and that's horrible.
i did suicide a lot back in the type59 days since i could die within 5 seconds and still get 30-40k credits...

mclee025

Apr 9, 2012
Valley lemming rush on Lakeview's encounter?
I saw a lot of that type of dumb play on the new map, so in one battle I made a point of telling the team the battle was in the city and not to lemming into the valley. Still in that battle two of our most powerful heavies go there. We are left with mediums and 2nd tier heavies trying to hold the city and get wiped out there. Meanwhile the valley gets cleared and those two are so proud of themselves of that fact as we lose the battle.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Personally, I like retard weekend. It all has to do with some advice an ex-clan member gave me when we were grinding tier IIIs for Rise of the Americas.

He said, "Imagine that everyone on the other team is stupid and think about what stupid people would do. Go to the spot on the map where you would kill them. Once you're done, finish off the smart ones."

Strangely good advice. Traditionally, I would make my first move the 'smart move against smart players.' One 5X weekends, I make it the 'smart move against dumb players.' I was able to run a whopping 87% in solo pubs yesterday.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
4x? i had a string of 15+ losses on the kv-3 before i got so pissed i sold it LOL.

as for w/r, i see the point of it but i don't think it weighs as much as people harp on it.
i've pubbed pretty much the entire 2 years and if your team sucks, you're gonna lose period. and i've pubbed solo. i'm hovering at 51% w/r and that's horrible.
i did suicide a lot back in the type59 days since i could die within 5 seconds and still get 30-40k credits...

Solo it is quite hard to make up for a bad team, but your actions can still turn the tide more than you think in those games. Thats why platoons are really where its at. Three good people can make all the difference in matches. There are lots of pubbies out there that owe me and my platoon mates for carrying thier zero damage asses to a win (and I hope to god it was one of thier x5s too, since they deserve a less than 1000xp x5 win).

W/R and WN7 are just good indicators on judging how well a person will perform during a match. Do high w/r players have bad games, sure we do. I get a zero damage game every once in awhile, but the difference is, I might get that once a week or two, not every damn day. If you have 3 60%ers on your team, I would bet that they are all in the top 5 of damage at the end of the game, if not in the top 3 spots.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I actually did pretty well this weekend, didn't play yesterday but I ended up with around 65% win rate over a wide variety of tiers. The most reliable was tier 7. Not too many arty and most of the time I ended up on top. With the T29 and black prince I can really punish people who make mistakes, and the comet is definitely growing to be one of my favorite tanks.

I know people hate it, but the thing just fits so right with my playstyle... Rapid firing flanking mobile gun platform that turns on a dime.

The E5 is a great tank. You can't sit exposed while hulling down because the tumor is very vulnerable, but I found that I can peek out and shoot with remarkable accuracy most of the time. If you DO hull down though, the added angle makes the tumor harder to pen.

I see it as a medium range support heavy rather than the up-in-your-face E-100 or Is-7. Optimum engagement distance is 200-300m. If I'm playing peek a boom, I rush out, snap a shot and then raise my gun to block shots to the tumor. I change positions slightly if I see people aiming at where I popped out previously... it generally throws off their aim a bit.

The tumor has around 200mm~ worth of armor with some very weird angles so you can easily hit the 70 degree auto bounce with a bit of position change. It's fairly nimble but its definitely not a side scraping tank. 2-3k damage on this tank is fairly normal, for carrying you need to do over 5k-6k damage.

Good info on playing the E5, thanks for sharing. I had a 7500 damage, 5 kill match in it yesterday, and still couldn't get even a 3rd class mastery badge, blah. I guess I have to have cap points too.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Solo it is quite hard to make up for a bad team, but your actions can still turn the tide more than you think in those games. Thats why platoons are really where its at. Three good people can make all the difference in matches. There are lots of pubbies out there that owe me and my platoon mates for carrying thier zero damage asses to a win (and I hope to god it was one of thier x5s too, since they deserve a less than 1000xp x5 win).

W/R and WN7 are just good indicators on judging how well a person will perform during a match. Do high w/r players have bad games, sure we do. I get a zero damage game every once in awhile, but the difference is, I might get that once a week or two, not every damn day. If you have 3 60%ers on your team, I would bet that they are all in the top 5 of damage at the end of the game, if not in the top 3 spots.

yea my stats since i started caring now as i'm trying to get into a top clan, has gone up since im playing slow and tactical now. i used to just get to the chokepoint and try to dish out damage = to my hp. didn't care if i died.

my w/r this week is still 51% but my wn7 has jumped to 1428 from 1261. and efficiency to 1752 from 1349.

signature.png

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Good info on playing the E5, thanks for sharing. I had a 7500 damage, 5 kill match in it yesterday, and still couldn't get even a 3rd class mastery badge, blah. I guess I have to have cap points too.

Sounds like there's something wrong, that should get it - you sure you don't have it from before?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

it's tier 10, so if your 7500 damage is against other tier 10s you'll definitely earn enough exp for a mastery badge. Don't forget your exp for damage dealt is also split with your spotter, so unless you're the one doing the spotting + damaging you're likely to drop behind on exp earned and not earn mastery.

But I had my first 0 damage game in a long time on saturday in my T69. Climbing the hill in himmelsdorf, 2 moron 45%ers blocked the side, forcing me to drive around their dumbasses to get to cover or risk losing the hill since I'm one of the only tier 8s in the game.

I had half a mind to shoot them and use their carcass for cover, then I remember I'm carrying 16k's worth of heat shells in a drum and it's not worth it. So I go around.

GW panther 1 shots me like the sniper rifle that it still is. Our team predictably gets rolled and end up killing only 4 tanks (most of them scouts) in the end.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Sounds like there's something wrong, that should get it - you sure you don't have it from before?

Yeah, I haven't gotten any of those mastery badges for that tank yet.

it's tier 10, so if your 7500 damage is against other tier 10s you'll definitely earn enough exp for a mastery badge. Don't forget your exp for damage dealt is also split with your spotter, so unless you're the one doing the spotting + damaging you're likely to drop behind on exp earned and not earn mastery.

This makes sense, because an E-100 with around 3k damage and maybe 2 or 3 kills got more xp than I did that match, and the only difference was his ~4000 spotting damage to my 500. I didn't think spotting damage would have that big of an effect.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I saw a lot of that type of dumb play on the new map, so in one battle I made a point of telling the team the battle was in the city and not to lemming into the valley. Still in that battle two of our most powerful heavies go there. We are left with mediums and 2nd tier heavies trying to hold the city and get wiped out there. Meanwhile the valley gets cleared and those two are so proud of themselves of that fact as we lose the battle.

LOL, I know what you mean. Then when the team finally loses they rag on how bad the rest of the team was. It amazes me at times how stupid humans can be. But what can you do? Just move on and hope for better in the next fight.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
it's always the first ones to die that call everyone else noobs

The first to die often die because noobs are useless and camping useless spots, not so much because they did anything wrong.

For example, it's not unheard of to see ten windowlickers on one hill in Redshire. For the north team that means the north edge of the map is wide open, especially to scouts, so the entire team generally ends up flanked and with dead arty. I often find myself defending the north passage alone and/or outnumbered. It is an especially rage-worthy situation when the north push does come but my dumbass campers can't even snipe well enough to kill any of them while I keep them occupied.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The first to die often die because noobs are useless and camping useless spots, not so much because they did anything wrong.

For example, it's not unheard of to see ten windowlickers on one hill in Redshire. For the north team that means the north edge of the map is wide open, especially to scouts, so the entire team generally ends up flanked and with dead arty. I often find myself defending the north passage alone and/or outnumbered. It is an especially rage-worthy situation when the north push does come but my dumbass campers can't even snipe well enough to kill any of them while I keep them occupied.

actually it depends on where the enemy team is. Quite often the hill will have no view on the enemy team if they're behind the second set of hills, I frequently see people fighting behind hills against overwhelming odds and lose and then whine about having no support.

Part of being a scout is knowing WHERE your team can fire from and if they have shots on the things you are lighting up. Simply lighting things up can be done by a monkey. I will never scout an area that has no guns pointed at it, plain and simple.

I also tend to snipe on the hills in redshire mostly because of arty, but other times because my team is so bad i need to be flexible to help cover loose flanks. But I find myself more willing to be part of the northen expedition forces now that there's fewer arties in games. The rolling hills has long been a great spot for hulling down and aggressive flanking gameplay when there's no arty.

Another reason why the arty change is opening up the game for me more and more. I'm re-discovering places where I can only look at from afar before, like a chronically sick kid looking out his window and wondering what the grass feels like.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005

understood but i'm talking about the guys 1 min into the match that over extend and charge a chokepoint by themselves. die, then start hurling insults to their team. i tend to wait 15-20 seconds or so when the match starts now, and support whichever flank has the least support. i'll move ahead but always within range so the team can support me in case it gets hairy.

i can't stand the xvm whores who announce which team is going to win and then not even try if the other team has a huge % advantage against us. i've won plenty of matches where we had no business winning, usually comes down to a 1v1 and our guy clutches it but those are the best matches haha.

also <3 the amx hate. ever since i unlocked the amx50 b, i've enjoyed playing it but every time i join a match since i'm top dog on the list, people always talk shit and say we're going to lose, sure we lose sometimes but at the end of the match i usually have well above my own hp in damage dealt while the guys bitching have done 0 damage.