[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 363 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah, I never understood the XVM users or the Stat Spouters in the pub games. Its a pub match. Anything can happen and often does. Anyway its nice to see a lot less arty on the battlefield. Maybe I can dust off my heavies and start playing them on a regular basis again instead of just the x2 first battles. I've noticed my Indien Panzer is just 30k away from researching the Lepord P so I think I'll concentrate on that first.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Yeah, I never understood the XVM users or the Stat Spouters in the pub games. Its a pub match. Anything can happen and often does. Anyway its nice to see a lot less arty on the battlefield. Maybe I can dust off my heavies and start playing them on a regular basis again instead of just the x2 first battles. I've noticed my Indien Panzer is just 30k away from researching the Lepord P so I think I'll concentrate on that first.

I only play pub matches, and as an XVM user, the only time I point out stats is when the 549 eff 44%er calls the team every name in the book when he gets slaughtered after rushing out solo. Even better when it's a platoon of horrible players that do it. Then you look at the battle report, and the 3 combined for 619 damage in a tier 7 or 8 game. Yeah, I call those idiots out.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Its ok, play for fun means you can play like a scrub and everyone else are just haters. Take pride in being incompetent.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm getting sick of the elitism tone of many posts where high win and other rates have to be mentioned over and over and over ad nauseum and others insulted.

Try to take it down a notch if you're one doing that, and keep this a welcome thread for players.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I play to win, and that is what is fun for me. Its never that much fun if I'm losing. We post win rates because we are proud of them and our achievements. We may seem "elitist" sometimes, but all of the good players that post in this thread didn't start out good at this game. We were all scrubs once. Hell a year ago I had about 5k games played and less than a 52% w/r.

For over 5k games, I was that guy that people hated; little to no patience, constantly making stupid mistakes, and not really caring b/c all I wanted was that tier 10. Then I got XVM, it opened my eyes, I saw people with 57%+ w/r, and with my goal of getting a tier 10 completed, I now turned my attention to improving.
Its like I flipped a switch at some point, and after that I have been constantly improving my gameplay and stats.

Believe it or not, most of us "elitist" will gladly advise people on how to improve. Hell, I stream almost all my games in hopes that people watch and learn, and I actively answer my viewers questions when they have them.

Do we bitch about our teams? Yes. Everyone does, regardless of win rate. Anyone who wants to win will get frustrated when half thier team goes and lemmings in the first 90 seconds. The forums just so happen to be a great place to vent that frustration from time to time.

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'm getting sick of the elitism tone of many posts where high win and other rates have to be mentioned over and over and over ad nauseum and others insulted.

Try to take it down a notch if you're one doing that, and keep this a welcome thread for players.

Thank you, Craig, for pointing out what should be obvious to people. I despise people who try to make others feel bad for not being excellent at a computer game. Especially comments like "uninstall, please".

The only time I make an effort to troll people in WoT chat is when someone is spouting off about stats.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
haha no elitism here, my 51% win rate makes me average at best. and that was all pubbing solo where you're at the mercy of your shitty team.

there's hardly any even games anymore, it's like MM is retarded or something. you either get completely owned and only kill 1-2 tanks on the other side, or your side dominates. it's so stupid but what can you do? when MM puts 7-8 autoloaders on the other team and they wolfpack together, there's absolutely nothing you can do except get steamrolled.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hahaha... now this is how you deflect shots and tank damage :D

shot_009.jpg

I kept all their tanks busy, being between the bulk of their tanks and the flag which my team was able to cap while I held them all off :D Oh, I think they did a whole 2 damage to me total, even with getting hit 101 times! Now that is called properly angling your tank :D

Last edited:

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
Did Anyone else catch this thread at the WOT forum?

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/255441-they-said-it-couldnt-be-done/

Scouting in a Maus for over 11k scouting damage. Holy smokes!

My favorite quote in the thread answering a comment about charging into the enemy base: "Are you dense? You don't CHARGE anywhere in a Maus. You sort of drift...ever so slowly...like a continental shelf easing alongside another shelf. By the time most guys in a Maus make it out of the spawn circle, the game is over."

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Hahaha... now this is how you deflect shots and tank damage :D

shot_009.jpg

I kept all their tanks busy, being between the bulk of their tanks and the flag which my team was able to cap while I held them all off :D Oh, I think they did a whole 2 damage to me total, even with getting hit 101 times! Now that is called properly angling your tank :D

holy shit

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
101 hits? Was there a Leo spraying at you full auto?

No, but there were 2 different churchills, a blackprince, a T26E4, 2 hellcats, and 3 other tanks that I couldn't spot, but a ELC AMX did zoom by at one point, so I am assuming he might have been part of them.

I was playing peek-a-boom with an ISU-152 when I noticed that the rest of the other side had completely collapsed and started taking some hits on my side and rear (got lucky and they bounced). I managed to track the ISU and teammates finished him off, which let me turn around to face off against pretty much the rest of their entire team. I held them at bay for well over 4 minutes just tanking constant streams of shot after shot. I got some good shots on the T26E4 and the blackprince which at least one of them had to have damaged the ammo in them slowing their rate of fire. I don't know how frustrated they must have been, I mean taking 15k+ potential damage is just mind boggling :D

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Classic pub mentality... and the definition of insane. Doing something over and over again expecting different results. After the first 3 bounces from my gun, why the hell would I shoot the same tank in the same place? Got to get that sniper medal I guess.

I have no doubt if the opposing team stayed alive longer and they had enough ammo, they would have sat there bouncing off your hull.

The shooters shouldn't be frustrated, they should be ashamed. The ones who watched this on their team should be the frustrated ones. I know I would have been rage typing about flanking/ignoring/or flat out uninstalling to the idiots taking shot after shot.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
geez and I thought my steel wall in my E-75 was good when I absorbed 10k's worth of damage. Awesome steel wall but if I was there I would've just flanked. You don't play PAB against a tank with a good hulled down or side scraped position, you find another way around.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea but people never want to get hurt, even if i team chat that we need to flank and i'll go first to take the hit from whatever people are scared of (704, t30, 183 etc..)
i find more often than not, i move, get hit, look behind and all my guys are still cowering behind cover while i'm now exposed trying to push lol. if you're that worried about repair costs, then get premium or don't go above tier 6-7 idiots...

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
yea but people never want to get hurt, even if i team chat that we need to flank and i'll go first to take the hit from whatever people are scared of (704, t30, 183 etc..)
i find more often than not, i move, get hit, look behind and all my guys are still cowering behind cover while i'm now exposed trying to push lol. if you're that worried about repair costs, then get premium or don't go above tier 6-7 idiots...

I find the opposite to be true sometimes. People don't peek out because they don't want to be "that guy" to get shot. Once someone eats a shell, I find a lot of them are more than willing to be opportunistic and move up to get an "easy kill".

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i just passed 115k on my kv-4, so 50k more for the ST-I.
the long 107 is a nice gun, but man everything is pen'ng me easily.
do you angle the kv-4? i've tried head on, angled at various degrees, no diff.
unless people are just slinging gold like there's no tomorrow still then it wouldn't matter

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I find the opposite to be true sometimes. People don't peek out because they don't want to be "that guy" to get shot. Once someone eats a shell, I find a lot of them are more than willing to be opportunistic and move up to get an "easy kill".

That's not just opportunistic, it's good gameplay. A group of allies in a peekabo should have one high health person eat the enemy shot(s) and the rest rush to shoot while the enemy reloads. That's just how to win those situations, assuming someone is gonna get shot.

What's bad is when one goes and gets shot and the rest just sit back.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
That's not just opportunistic, it's good gameplay. A group of allies in a peekabo should have one high health person eat the enemy shot(s) and the rest rush to shoot while the enemy reloads. That's just how to win those situations, assuming someone is gonna get shot.

What's bad is when one goes and gets shot and the rest just sit back.

Not saying it isn't. However, pubs don't have that concept of "good gameplay", all they know is the guy just fired so they won't be shot, and they have a chance to try to get a kill. In 3-4 seconds they will revert back to coward mode, regardless of whether they had more hp than the player that got shot or not. They certainly won't be the ones to push forward.

Which is why I call it "opportunistic" instead of "good gameplay". Pubbies will stare at a wall for 15 minutes if nobody else eats a hit for them even if they have full health.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea pretty much spot on, they revert back to coward mode. i have very low expectations on random pub matches so i'm never dissapointed

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I just find it funny you are sitting there watching the clock tick down at the beginning and then some guy starts harping, 'OMG we have a 43% player here! Why is this guy even allowed in this game?' Yadda...yadda..yadda... I'm sorry, that's not just elitism that's being a jerk. Its a pub match. You're going to have low score players, medium score players, and high score players. Get over it. LOL Personally I'm more worried about the Team Killers or the bots than some guy with a low stat score.

Mar 10, 2005
i call it the conga line, or sometimes the truffle shuffle :D

anyway, i find it 1 of the more enjoyable techniques in the game. square with your teammates so you don't jam up, careful not to put a round in the back of someone's head, maybe try a juke or 2 to draw a miss. knowing when to bolt is important too, either for the finishing stroke or to take a second position behind a rock to apply some pain from 2 directions. heavy alley in karelia is a classic example of this.