[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 365 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
E50 is a really fun tank. Though I think the E50m is more fun due to a better gun + a little more bouncy armor and a much faster acceleration + traverse. But the E50 is a tank that can turn a battle. Which is nice for a medium.

Edit: Oh and the hilarity that happens when ram killing heavies :D My first ram kill was an M103 on campinova.

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The E-50 has been growing on me since I got the top engine. Damn that thing has some power. I suspect I will be much more happy with it after I upgrade the turret. The stock one can be penned by basically everything you meet, which is just miserable. Oh well, only about 30k away from replacing it.

I used to run XVM, but it always just seemed to make things too depressing.

depressing or not, it's good to be able to identify and take down good players and to bully bad ones. Turn off the "win rate" predictor as that's just full of shit anyway.
You can also filter out who to listen to and who to help. You don't want to extend yourself to help a 45% who drove into a tough spot, but if a 60% is being swarmed on a vulnerable flank you would want to try to save him since he's worth so much more than a bad player.

Likewise if you have an opportunity to shoot a 45% vs a 60%... it's a very easy decision to make. I go out of my way to make sure a good player dies, and frequently that has caused an entire flank to collapse and gave us a win.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the only thing harder to pen is a KV-5 at tier 8. The KV-4 is incredibly bouncy if you're inexperienced in fighting it, even the sides of its turret can take a savage amount of punishment for some reason.

Please don't tell me you said the KV-5 is hard to pen did you? You can pen it with many tier 4's, you just need to shoot R2D2 in the front. And you can hit R2D2 from the front, the sides, and even from certain angles in the rear (however, if you are in the rear, there are better spots to shoot since you can damage the engine and possibly set it on fire for a lot more damage).

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Please don't tell me you said the KV-5 is hard to pen did you? You can pen it with many tier 4's, you just need to shoot R2D2 in the front. And you can hit R2D2 from the front, the sides, and even from certain angles in the rear (however, if you are in the rear, there are better spots to shoot since you can damage the engine and possibly set it on fire for a lot more damage).

First, I'm assuming the KV5 driver is not a fucking moron, which means he's hiding his R2D2 in some way (maybe in the famous reverse butt scraper position).

The rear of the KV5 is harder to pen than you make it out to be. With slight angling it'll bounce tier 7 guns fairly reliably. I've also had reliability issues penning the thing from the side with tier 8 guns on more than 1 occasion. Positioned well the KV5 is extremely hard to pen frontally, and given the preferential matchmaking it gets it faces off with tier 6s more often than not. The tracks also infamously eat shots.

Please fight a KV-5 that's not a scrub. A good driver in a KV-5 is very difficult to hurt.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I agree, the KV5 really separates men from boys. Morons will let you shoot both their front and commander's tumors all day. Good ones will sometimes bounce t34s.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Bust his tracks and then flank. I get a kick out of fools who drive that tank backwards.

The thing is so slow I am surrounded by friends. You think anybody could get in front driving that way? It usually ends in some hilarity. Provided I am not playing against T9s. The rear armor is about as good as the front. Well better due to R2D2. I turtle my way forward getting steel wall in the process. All these guys keep shooting me with little to no damage. Keep tracking me, I don't care. In the mean time friends are picking them off.

Even if I somehow get caught solo. Is it any worse? So I make you work for the kill instead of presenting a nice easy pen every time.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
To be fair if you are solo and get flanked by a medium or whatever in a KV5 you're fucked no matter what you do, and that applies to most heavies including the fearsome E-75.

Good luck tracking and flanking a reverse buttscraping KV-5 though. He's most likely holding a choke point with friends. If he's not, he's still hiding the weakest part of his tank.

Mar 10, 2005
Vehicle: Pz.Kpfw. VI Tiger
Experience received: 1,237
Credits received: 81,887
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Sniper, Master Gunner, Spartan

adding to my fruit salad collection :p

edit:
now i'm getting harassing messages

Last edited:

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I have driven the KV-5 in reverse. It works excellently when you are engaging at 200+ meters. Let them aim center mass and bounce no matter where they hit. I have done it while holding a corner, no R2D2 to shoot means the enemy is confused where to aim which means they don't peak a boom quickly.

The current mission ROCKS. I am making money hand over fist in my tier 9's and 10's without a premium account.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I have driven the KV-5 in reverse. It works excellently when you are engaging at 200+ meters. Let them aim center mass and bounce no matter where they hit. I have done it while holding a corner, no R2D2 to shoot means the enemy is confused where to aim which means they don't peak a boom quickly.

The current mission ROCKS. I am making money hand over fist in my tier 9's and 10's without a premium account.

Against lower tier reversing works quite well, though against a high pen gun or prem ammo you risk catching fire though.

What is this current mission you are speaking of? I just finished a game in my E75 receiving extra 45k for the event, which I have no idea about. I scored 3600 damages and 2 kills and no any sort of achievement. It wasn't an exceptional game so I was surprised.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
ugh loser teams today, can't buy a win with my 704, getting roughly 3-4k damage per match and my side loses by at least 4-5 tanks every match...so frustrating.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Whether you drive a KV5 or some other big ass nasty tank the first thing you do is take away his support. You shoot and kill the tanks that protect him first and then you go after him when he's alone. That is how you deal with the big bad guy. There are effective strategies to deal with various situations. The player just has to be smart about using them. I admit though getting the rest of team to do the smart things can be near impossible at times. /chuckle

Last night I had the night off so played a fair amount. The T69 wasn't working out for me very well. Switched to the T28 and the win rate went up. I was doing pretty good with it and I actually dislike that tank but no arty fights were plentiful so all I had to worry about was those pesky fast tanks. Half would charge me head on, which was easy to deal with, and the smarter half would flank me. When I was near friendlies it wasnt too bad. Alone though I was just a big turtle weight that couldn't move well and died easily.

Last edited:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
about 10k xp away from the e50m
about 15k xp away from the T62a

i only have enough to buy 1 of them so i'll probably get the e50m since i plan to sell the e50 and get some credits back. i'll need to start a fresh crew if i buy the t62a because i'm never getting rid of my t54, that's my favorite tank lol :)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm grinding out a T62a as well, but I have so much fun with the T-54 that it's sort of just a side order. Never selling the 54.

Finally fixed my computer so I might go for a mission or 2... Too bad I won't be able to grind out a T54E1 though. More than 110k exp away...

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm also 15k from the t62. Need to pick that or the Jpgz100, each over 6 mil credits.

Planning to move the t-54 crew to t62, but keeping t-54 also, great tank.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Against lower tier reversing works quite well, though against a high pen gun or prem ammo you risk catching fire though.

What is this current mission you are speaking of? I just finished a game in my E75 receiving extra 45k for the event, which I have no idea about. I scored 3600 damages and 2 kills and no any sort of achievement. It wasn't an exceptional game so I was surprised.

do over 9000 damage total over a few games, get 45k.

also the reverse scraping doesn't mean you expose your engine, you are exposing the side and the turret (which has a much smaller weakspot in the form of the copula).

The turret cheeks are thicker but pennable by tier 8 heavies. Still way freaking stronger than the r2d2 though.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I just had the most incredible game...

mlce5f9bl3eqjjlfg.jpg

juqgn8bdg0h6hj1fg.jpg

I didn't even bring HEAT to that match and I got 9 kills and was second on the team for damage. After it was over I checked their stats... they had one 53%, then a bunch of 49s and 45s. Even so, that was just incredible...

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
wow just got the e50m, mounted vents/rammer/vert stab
this thing is a beast so far, pubbing at least.
it makes the e50 seem like a loltraktor
head and shoulders above the e50

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
3 days in a row, platooned not platooned, playing lower tiers, playing mid tiers, doing amazing damage, passive scouting, whatever... I have rocked less than a 50% win ratio. I finally gave up yesterday at 40%.

I was called a noob, a camper, a stat padder, etc. I did the most damage on my team in a tiger P on a tier 9 match. I DOUBLED the next guy's damage in my KV4 (a tank that is supposedly horribad). While platooned, we were the ONLY players on our team that did more than 1k damage in tier 10's (I did 4k my platoonmate did 6k and we STILL lost). We lost a flank when 10 tanks went that way and the other 3 (2 arty) HELD on our flank. I got more exp than the opposing highest player on a loss. While passively scouting, my team mate in a leo did 5k spotting damage in a tier 7 game... and still the lemmings on our team advanced to die.

Makes me want to flip my computer table...

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I had a streak like that during the 5x exp weekends. Could not push past 50% for the life of me. Carrying super hard (doing sometimes 3x the damage of the next closest guy) in all tiers. It's actually fairly common for me to do at least 2x the next closest guy.

When these games happen, I just try to maximize the amount of repairs I'm causing. I kill low hp tanks to make sure they get a big repair bill, I damage the most expensive tank, etc. If I can hide in a corner to cause this damage I do that.

If my team is going to derp I'm going to maximize the amount of grief I'm causing. Sometimes this makes the other team lemming into me and I manage to pull a win out of my ass with 10 kills. :awe:

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
3 days in a row, platooned not platooned, playing lower tiers, playing mid tiers, doing amazing damage, passive scouting, whatever... I have rocked less than a 50% win ratio. I finally gave up yesterday at 40%.

I was called a noob, a camper, a stat padder, etc. I did the most damage on my team in a tiger P on a tier 9 match. I DOUBLED the next guy's damage in my KV4 (a tank that is supposedly horribad). While platooned, we were the ONLY players on our team that did more than 1k damage in tier 10's (I did 4k my platoonmate did 6k and we STILL lost). We lost a flank when 10 tanks went that way and the other 3 (2 arty) HELD on our flank. I got more exp than the opposing highest player on a loss. While passively scouting, my team mate in a leo did 5k spotting damage in a tier 7 game... and still the lemmings on our team advanced to die.

Makes me want to flip my computer table...

I'm on 6+ days of this shit. Hoping today may be better.