[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 358 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Few thoughts about the new patch:

Arty: low/mid tiers, nerfed to crap. High tiers, still hitting like a ton of bricks.

East/West cluster: It's a cluster all right. At least chat/channels sort of works between servers (I say sort of works because the lag in communications is hysterical). I had a lower ping to the west coast server than the east coast but I am hoping that was because of the d/ling of the client from the masses. I was at 200ms on east coast and 120ms on west when I am normally at ~80ms before the mutli-cluster.

Fjords: Why the hell did they add a secondary ridge in Texas. Talk about a new grinder, it is just a narrow pass and a complete choke position. East can no longer even attempt to support from afar because of the new ridge while west can still put an arty in the north and rain down death. My E100 was a beast there though, just held that with an IS7 against a Maus, IS4, IS8, FV, and some 8's. Did nothing but sit there like a rock while the rest of our team died despite overwhelming numbers.

Lakeville Encounter: LOVE it. The forced action in the town is really nice.

E100: Complete beast with the new armor changes. Bounces shots it never did before. An S51 shooting AP/Heat bounced on my turret. Foch 155 bounced all three shots at me while he was invisible (I could not even angle properly).

KV4 (basically other high armor vehicles): More complete beasts. I shrugged off BL10, Ferdi shots, etc. I took a BL10 IN THE SIDE and it bounced.

Accuracy: While accuracy has improved across the board, it seems that you do have to aim at your targets or you will bounce/0% a lot of shots.

EXP improvements: I love that you get EXP for doing tracking hits and contributing to a kill. I had the pleasure of permatracking a Maus in Ruinburg in my KV-4. I caused him to go from full to 0% because of it (it is nice at least knowing you did something even if you couldn't hurt it).

Overall: I like it more than dislike it, but I feel they really messed up the "clustering" (it is not cluster technology, they are discrete game servers). I feel all they had to do was get from behind Telia. I have not played all the changed maps, but I really dislike Fjords now. There is NO reason to go to Texas as you will just be pinned there all match.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I dont know why they didn't just add a little box in the garage that you could click on to change server clusters. Seriously, how hard would that be. That and it would ask, or automatically change you over when you joined a platoon. You would think in this day and age, this kind of stuff would be easy to do.

They would have been much better off upgrading the servers and having a centralized server located in texas or something. Somewhere you dont have to go through telia.net to get through.

I'll reserve how I feel about the patch in total until I get a few more games down. Although with the accuracy improvements, I might finally get me a KV-1S.

Possessed: You play your KV-2 yet? I know they nerfed the HEAT for it, but the accuracy changes should be a boon for it still when using HE.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Possessed: You play your KV-2 yet? I know they nerfed the HEAT for it, but the accuracy changes should be a boon for it still when using HE.

Yep, 7kills. But it was a tier 6 game. Oh, and my 183 is a sniper now!?

They also changed something about HE, I busted out my T-46 which has a derpy 76mm gun. I was BOUNCING HE shots off of tier 3 tanks. Granted, I was hitting at horrible angles, but the HE shells normally did damage regardless of tank angling.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I am looking forward to trying out the new aiming system. I like they are rewarding people for hitting the right spots on tanks. It will help distance skilled from unskilled. Sad my M4 derp days are done. But what can I say? We had a good run :D

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
yup... sold my M4 yesterday. It was fun getting consistent 6-12 kill games. /salute Think I'll run a KV in tier 5 now. My ammo stock ended up being a little less than 300k worth, but I'm glad I used up most of my derp rounds.

Yesterday had a 5.2k damage game in my T-54 where we won. The T-54 is an incredible now even with the HEAT nerfs. I was even firing on the run and the accuracy feels terrific...

Didn't play much last night because I spent a lot of time tweaking mods, but I saw three arty total last night in about 10 games which is great for me. (most were lower tier though)

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Yep, 7kills. But it was a tier 6 game. Oh, and my 183 is a sniper now!?

They also changed something about HE, I busted out my T-46 which has a derpy 76mm gun. I was BOUNCING HE shots off of tier 3 tanks. Granted, I was hitting at horrible angles, but the HE shells normally did damage regardless of tank angling.

Yeah, the game I won in my E-100 yesterday was on Steppes and I went and played dick grab in the thunderdome (only person there), and I had a 183 that sat alot further back to "snipe". Well snipe he did, everytime I fired and a tank came after me, BLAMO!! 1K+ damage to the poor fucker. He got at least 3, 1k+ hits, and saved my ass on more than one occassion. Hell I might have to just free xp to the damn thing now with the accuracy buff making it a monster.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hell I might have to just free xp to the damn thing now with the accuracy buff making it a monster.

In my brain, the perfect 3 man platoon with 183's are: 2 183's, and a T57. T57 takes first shot (tracking shot), 183 nukes, second 183 nukes or T57 finishes. 25 seconds later, full reset of pain.

mrnotwo

Feb 5, 2013
Yesterday had a 5.2k damage game in my T-54 where we won. The T-54 is an incredible now even with the HEAT nerfs. I was even firing on the run and the accuracy feels terrific...

Is the other top canon a better option now that the accuracy is buffed? (it has better penetration and all)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Is the other top canon a better option now that the accuracy is buffed? (it has better penetration and all)

No. The soft stats are still better overall (dispersion, bloom, etc) despite ~15mm lack of pen. You're not penning anything frontally that you weren't before with 10mm extra and HEAT pen is the same.

walkur

May 1, 2001
Hmm... might actually start playing this game again, with the new patch and all.
I was actually surpised I still had a 53% win perc, i distinctly remember &!%$ing around the last weeks that i played.
Also, looking at my stats, for some reason the tanks I hated the have the highest win%.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Hmm... might actually start playing this game again, with the new patch and all.
I was actually surpised I still had a 53% win perc, i distinctly remember &!%$ing around the last weeks that i played.
Also, looking at my stats, for some reason the tanks I hated the have the highest win%.

Shitty tank hate often helps me focus on the match, probably because I have to put so much more effort in to accomplish anything at all. For example, I seriously hate my 12t, but it has a 60% win rate. The t29 often made me want to shake babies, but it has a 59% win rate. And I seriously hated the pz4, but won 63% of 52 matches in it.

Mar 10, 2005
I use:

Historical Realism Sound mod
j1mbo's crosshair
locastan's minimap
locastan's arousel
XVM
A bunch of tank skins (not hitzone skins, just pretty ones like this: http://wotskins.ucoz.ru/news/su_100_53/2013-06-25-7684)

Also lots of changes. When did you stop playing?

i last quit over a year ago :p. i see xvm is still pretty much clutch to have.

i'm in the mood for some tanks since watching this (it's excellent!) :
World War 2 TANKS!

also excellent:
The Steel Battleship

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
so with the armor changes, i'm debating on the 3rd equipment slot for my e100 and e75 now.

i always run vents/rammer and i HAD spall liner but they removed it this patch.
should i still run spall liner now? since it got buffed? or use a vertical stabilizer?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
for E100 I'd do GLD vert and rammer since it has a long aim time. E75 can go vert rammer vents.

Pretty much vert on any tank that can use it. Spall liner is still useless anyway and there's not a lot of arties around right now.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
for E100 I'd do GLD vert and rammer since it has a long aim time. E75 can go vert rammer vents.

Pretty much vert on any tank that can use it. Spall liner is still useless anyway and there's not a lot of arties around right now.

No need to sacrafice vents for the GLD on the E-100. Especially not now with the accuracy buff. I think I haven't missed a shot in that tank since the patch, and a large portion have been snap shots.

I've been playing like shit (or at least my teams have) in the last few days. I've been running in the red for w/r probably since Sunday. I've had too many games where 2 minutes in, I look over and my teams already down 5 tanks. I don't even know how people can die that fast. I almost wish they would make 5 man platoons and just let us play 5 vs. 15 random scrubs. Would probably stand a better chance.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What do you guys think of the new gun cannon sounds?

I'll have to play more tonight. The three games I played last night were so unbelievably horrible. I dont remember much of the sounds. Teams were getting pwned hard. But what I do remember wasnt that impressed with the sound of getting hit. Sounded like a small "pop".

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
No need to sacrafice vents for the GLD on the E-100. Especially not now with the accuracy buff. I think I haven't missed a shot in that tank since the patch, and a large portion have been snap shots.

I've been playing like shit (or at least my teams have) in the last few days. I've been running in the red for w/r probably since Sunday. I've had too many games where 2 minutes in, I look over and my teams already down 5 tanks. I don't even know how people can die that fast. I almost wish they would make 5 man platoons and just let us play 5 vs. 15 random scrubs. Would probably stand a better chance.

Haha welcome to my world. In some tanks(E50,M103,T110E5). This is exactly how it goes down. There have been games where over half my team is dead 90 seconds into the game. I dont even know how they can a manage to get into range of the enemy, much less get themselves killed in that time span.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I'll have to play more tonight. The three games I played last night were so unbelievably horrible. I dont remember much of the sounds. Teams were getting pwned hard. But what I do remember wasnt that impressed with the sound of getting hit. Sounded like a small "pop".

I HATE the new sounds. They are horrible, I can't even tell if i'm getting shot at. Not to mention a .22 pistol makes more of a boom. I'll be getting the gun sound mod for 8.6 when I get home today. I didn't copy my 8.5 one over b/c I didn't think it would work.

Speaking of which, anyone have the links readily available for the gun and engine sound packs that are 8.6 ready?

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I had a horrible run last night as well, doesn't change the fact that I like 8.6 compared to 8.5

I started 0-4 and ended the night at 11/23 or a whopping 45%. Probably the worst night I have finished at in a LONG time.

I went 0-5 with my 183, the teams were just plain harsh. I did 5803 damage one game and we still lost... and this was platooned.

MM boned us twice. We were triple platooned in 6's and the opposing team had exactly one six on their team, an arty. Also happened in our 8's. We were triple platooned in 8's and the opposing team had one 8. Our three 8's held off the bridge on Mountain Pass against 3 10's and a 9. Well, we did not hold it off ALL game, but we did our best. We won that because of a fast cap from 2 horribad mediums while every flank died.

On the topic of XVM, for whatever reason most of the time my stats were not being displayed for anyone. It was quite comical when I was playing in my tier 8 premiums and people were calling me a noob who bought one the first day playing. I played along with it but they realized soon enough I knew how to play (just not win!). People also asked how I got to a tier 10 without any history, I said I found a hack to do it. Muahahaha.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
For solo trolling, the patch has made the T40 TD stupidly powerful. Invisible, great pen, laser accuracy, and stupid rate of fire. Just find a bush in the middle of the action and blow the crap out of everything.

In my first 10 games post patch in the T40, I *averaged* 1,400 exp/game and won 8 games.