[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 339 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm close to the GwTiger, not sure I should do it though. Anyone have experience with it vs. the GwPanther?

A lot of players say 'stop with the GW Panther'. I'd say that, upgraded, I've been pretty happy with the GW Tiger - big damage is nice - but the GW Panther seems better in ways.

I haven't checked the numbers - and the tiger seems to be perfectly nice in terms of getting the larger damage. Again not checking, reload might slow down a lot.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The gw tiger loses a lot of mobility in comparison to the panther, and the stock gun is painful to grind with.

That being said, the big gun is decent and has pretty good splash, but the damage output is less than it's other country equivalents. It just doesn't have anything too special going for it, that's all.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I figure I'm so far down the German line at this point that I might as well just keep going. I'd rather grind up the new German medium line or even finish the American heavy or autloader before regrinding another arty line...

Anyone else using the 320.00 drivers from Nvidia? Everytime a game ends now I get a crash to desktop. WOT just completely exits out.

*edit: Meh I just rolled back to the 314 drivers and it's fixed. Only game that was giving me issues too.

Last edited:

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I have taken to trolling each game with my arty now, I tell everyone how much arty ruins the game and see who defends how retarded arty is. I then target that person the whole match. I guess I look forward to using the type E to do it in eventually.

Sounds like an excellent way to lose matches.
Remind me never to platoon with you.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
I figure I'm so far down the German line at this point that I might as well just keep going. I'd rather grind up the new German medium line or even finish the American heavy or autloader before regrinding another arty line...

Anyone else using the 320.00 drivers from Nvidia? Everytime a game ends now I get a crash to desktop. WOT just completely exits out.

*edit: Meh I just rolled back to the 314 drivers and it's fixed. Only game that was giving me issues too.

Using the 320.00 but not having that (or any) issue(s)

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
arty is a good time waster when you don't want to actually "play"
as you can sit back, eat or whatevers while arty'ng

way less interaction than when using a tank

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
I had someone absolutely lose their CRAP in a low tier match on Murovanka earlier. I was playing my SU-26, and even though it was on sale, I was not using gold rounds, just plain ammo. I was plinking away at anything that moved, and this T-28 wandered into a group of 2 other tanks (KV-1 and T-34) clumped together.

He slowed down almost to a stop, and the other two started moving, so I let him have it... direct hit to the back deck and took him out. He then started railing in chat about why I'm a crap player and should have been shooting the other tanks instead of him.

Sorry, Chuck, target of opportunity. You were slow, you were in my line of fire and I was already aiming in the vicinity, and I knew I could pen you. I had a Grille on the team to shoot the harder targets and hopefully damage them.

This is why people don't like artillery, but he easily could have, and probably should have, kept moving. I wouldn't have taken a second look at him and would have shot at the T-34 instead. Instead, he stopped in the open while spotted, and then shouted in public chat that the opponent was the horrible player (for 4 minutes).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
arty is a good time waster when you don't want to actually "play"
as you can sit back, eat or whatevers while arty'ng

way less interaction than when using a tank

Only if you're not playing it like you should. Arty is the hardest to play well.

M0rphz0r

Jan 3, 2012
My enjoyment comes from using my E75's big engine to push my own teams high level arty down a cliff/into water/into a hole when they're in arty mode and not paying attention :cool:

So you intentionally mess up your team's chances for shits 'n giggles? Classy. :rolleyes:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
My enjoyment comes from using my E75's big engine to push my own teams high level arty down a cliff/into water/into a hole when they're in arty mode and not paying attention :cool:

That would get you an unfair play ban and probably on my list of kill on sight.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

HAHA. You should watch some of the youtube videos of one arty firing from behind another or knocking down a tree and watching the enemy counter battery the position hitting the other arty. :whiste:

:p

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Starting at a deficit early in the game by griefing is
1) against the rules
2) retarded
3) amazingly selfish in a team oriented game

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Only if you're not playing it like you should. Arty is the hardest to play well.

i have no issues, in tier X matches, it's a while before shit shows up on the radar
then when they do everyone is hiding behind mountains or buildings and i have to relocate.

so while doing that, i can eat or drink something

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Eh, sort of. Because its the most team dependent piece on the field and has the biggest effect if positioned well. But that's just because it does ridiculous damage and if RNG isn't with you, then you'll miss all your shots regardless of "skill".

Arty has such a remarkably low skill cap such that if you pay attention to the minimap and know where to go on the map... that's all you need to play the arty "well". It doesn't take skill to drive to a good spot and then watch the reticule shrink for 10 seconds before firing. That why so many bads love arty: it takes no skill to kill a good player since its just a game of whack a mole and "chance" to them.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
So you intentionally mess up your team's chances for shits 'n giggles? Classy. :rolleyes:

Aye :cool:

That would get you an unfair play ban and probably on my list of kill on sight.

It takes an obscene amount of reports for a ban. Anyways i have a tactic vs people trying to teamkill me on sight, its called: sit in my teams cap circle and let them hit me until they turn blue. At that point i then yell in chat "OMFG xxx IS A TEAMKILLER HALP MUH!!!11" and watch the hilarity ensue ;)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
speaking of arty, great news on the supertest.

- arty will get a rate of fire nerf of roughly 15-40 percent: GW Panther will (with its top gun) fire once per 31 seconds
- accuracy and aiming time will be nerfed: Some examples - russian B-4 cannon had 8 sec aiming time and 0.8 accuracy as of the supertest. GW Panther had 0.7 accuracy
- Aim dispersion on the move and while moving the gun increased by 100%
- Many arties get new stock modules.
- SU-26 loses it's 122mm cannon and gets a new 76mm one.
- Most of them get their visibility range and speed nerfed slightly.
- S-51 gun horizontal traverse nerfed from 6 degrees to each side to 4 degrees to each side
- arty tiers shifted around a lot (they are still experimenting with this, so I wouldn't take this anywhere near granted):

On a personal record, I think they're going about this approach completely wrong though. Arty needs something like an entire mechanic overhaul. Wargaming keeps beating around the bush and fails to address the problem: the fact that arty is STILL a gigantic sniper rifle that can 1 shot tanks if they get lucky. Wargaming is fixing this by making people not want to play arty by making it fucking terrible, which is a very russian way of fixing things I suppose.

People don't WANT to be 1-shotted. High-alpha and low ROF is BAD. From what I hear warthunder's arty will be a big AOE effect instead of a one shot sniper rifle wonder. That is what many people want. Lots of little damage instead of one big railgun bullet. For one, it adds to immersion. Explosions all around! omg! Secondly, it increases hit rate and makes the arty feel less frustrated. Third: It's not fucking bullshit. If I want to get 1 shotted it would be from a dive bomber, not a fucking artillery piece designed to target infantry.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001

It takes an obscene amount of reports for a ban. Anyways i have a tactic vs people trying to teamkill me on sight, its called: sit in my teams cap circle and let them hit me until they turn blue. At that point i then yell in chat "OMFG xxx IS A TEAMKILLER HALP MUH!!!11" and watch the hilarity ensue ;)
All someone has to do is open a new ticket and upload the replay, they take support tickets seriously. The reporting tools in-game are nothing more than a joke.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
All someone has to do is open a new ticket and upload the replay, they take support tickets seriously. The reporting tools in-game are nothing more than a joke.

I really wouldn't doubt they weigh how much you've paid to whether you get disciplined. :whiste:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I've seen bots with premium tanks get warned before or get resetted. I've never seen anybody actually get banned, ever.

The reporting system is a joke really. Even with replays they don't do anything other than give out slaps on the wrists like "we revoke your chatting privileges". Only blatant bots get a bigger boot.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

No, it doesn't (ban defined as chat ban).

Personal anecdote: Once, there was a jerky player in a match - I don't recall what all was said, but he destroyed my tank, on the same team, I didn't take action.

Te next match, the same guy was in the match, and turned to shoot my tank - I followed the rules, didn't shoot him, he destroyed my tank a second time.

At that point, I told the enemy team the square he was in. They didn't use the information, he wasn't shot.

But he clicked to report my telling them - and I got a three day chat ban. It happens.

Unfortunately, team damage is the exception - they let the automated system handle all team damage issues. Reporting does nothing.

They confirmed this in a discussion in mail.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
- arty will get a rate of fire nerf of roughly 15-40 percent: GW Panther will (with its top gun) fire once per 31 seconds
HUGE nerf. Sort of, makes each shot count that much more, and it is much harder to keep a tank pinned somewhere.
- accuracy and aiming time will be nerfed: Some examples - russian B-4 cannon had 8 sec aiming time and 0.8 accuracy as of the supertest. GW Panther had 0.7 accuracy
Doesn't matter. Aim time on the larger guns was already complete poo. Accuracy is all relative anyway. Good enough is fine. Not worried.
- Aim dispersion on the move and while moving the gun increased by 100%
Meh, not an issue. Increasing reload time means I have more time to aim in my next shot.

- SU-26 loses it's 122mm cannon and gets a new 76mm one.
Massive nerf, much needed. They also need to just start the German bison at tier 4 if they are going to keep the 150mm on it. No tier 2-3 for the Germans.
- Most of them get their visibility range and speed nerfed slightly.
Meh, who cares.
- S-51 gun horizontal traverse nerfed from 6 degrees to each side to 4 degrees to each side
Probably kills the S-51. It already had poo of a traverse arc, if you have to pivot and rebloom every few seconds it is basically done.

People don't WANT to be 1-shotted. High-alpha and low ROF is BAD. From what I hear warthunder's arty will be a big AOE effect instead of a one shot sniper rifle wonder. That is what many people want. Lots of little damage instead of one big railgun bullet. For one, it adds to immersion. Explosions all around! omg! Secondly, it increases hit rate and makes the arty feel less frustrated. Third: It's not fucking bullshit. If I want to get 1 shotted it would be from a dive bomber, not a fucking artillery piece designed to target infantry.

Nobody bitches about the T82's 105, the M2 MT's 75, the BL10, the KV-2 152, the 183, etc.

It is not a matter of high alpha low ROF guns. People know they screwed up when they get one shotted by these monsters. They don't fault the player, they KNOW it was their own fault. Somehow people want to blame something else when they die because they were exposed, drove in a straight line, were predictable, etc.

If you rock your tank every once in a while, after waiting 30+ seconds to fire and the target moves, you will NOT waste another shot on that target. If they do continue to shoot at the rocking target, better for the enemy team. I *love* it when arty tries to shoot my E100. I laugh when yet another near miss tracks me for a couple of seconds and takes off inconsequential hit points. The enemy could have shot easier things, but go ahead keep picking on me. I know how to be a bitch to hit.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
They're nerfing the HEAT and APCR rounds in response to the derp cannons. Those are in dire need of a nerf as well and I won't deny it, but there are no details on that just yet.

I'll say this again: If you're rocking back and forth, anybody that's not an arty can shoot you very easily. If you're already in an arty safe spot... there's no reason to rock back and forth unless you're peeking out. That's the only time "rocking" is effective against arty in a heavy. If you're fighting in arty-prone areas.... well, which ever side's arty that has the shot will win.

You can try to be annoying to arty by making yourself hard to hit, but in 3-4 arty games, rarely will arty have more than one thing on the map at any given time to shoot because people will all be camping after the first 2 minutes. So they'll all be aiming at the first thing that pops out in the open. You don't need 4 arty to be watching you. You just need 1 to track you, then the other 3 have time to recalibrate and zoom in on you.

In pubs, you sure as fuck aren't going to get cooperation from the other guys on your team to coordinate a push, so you peeking out on your own is more often than not, your death.

The big issue with arty right now is that once you get into position, you CAN'T LEAVE. Arty can effectively pin you in place for the whole game if you don't have a brave scout. Most of my draws come from big arty games because nobody wants to peek out to get their asses shot off.

Also going to call bullshit on "driving predictably". Most experienced arty players don't have issues hitting players on the go, and the splash is more often enough to track you even if you're swerving around. Most of the time, if you're trying to get to a good position you're sure as hell not going to stop every 5 meters to juke your tank back and forth or drive like an asian woman in chinatown. That's a great way to get your ass shot off by the regular tanks. The easiest targets to hit are the ones that are bleeding speed on turns trying to avoid arty.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Ha nerfing my favorite and tolerable tanks? Well well days in this game are officially coming to an end. Going to go down in a blaze of glory though! Derp will be well fed until it comes through.