[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 329 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well finally broke my all time kill record in a game of 9. That has been there for ages since I got it in a Marder II and KV with the 152 derp. Killed 10 souls on El Haluf encounter with the M4 last night. They just couldnt help themselves to coming one at a time against the derp.

This week has been especially fun.

Only got to play 7 games in the M4 with 38 kills.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
How do you like the T28 Proto? I've been thinking about getting it but the open top and the lack of traverse really makes it uninteresting for me since it look to be a base camper.

I don't dislike the E-50... I just don't like it very much in comparison to the panther 2. Its a very smooth tank for sure, but it doesn't do anything "well". Good acceleration, good speed, good gun, ok armor... but dps is not great, gun is not that punchy, frontal engine, etc. With all that I still do fairly decently on it.

edit: New medium stats up:

http://imgur.com/a/vqvHK

Indienpanther looks great. 8rpm on the 9cm at tier 8 makes it the best DPS gun in the tier. 212 pen is awesome at that tier... long 88 only has 202 pen.

Now the bad news: from the forums.

"Indienpanzer, Prototype A and Leopard 1 all have the worst track stats for their class/tier. Indienpanzer has 2.9 aimtime and 0.22 track bloom, beating the T-34-2 for clumsiest gun handling. At least it gets good dpm and pen, though! The two Leopards at least have faster aim times, 2.3 and 1.9 seconds. Indienpanzer has the new BEST dpm at tier8 that's not on a premium tank or TD.

Prototype has 0.2 track bloom, Leopard 0.18. This is the first time that the autoloader light/medium does not have the worst soft stats at tier compared to other mediums. The Lorraine and Batchat have less track bloom (but slower aiming guns). Applies to both driving and turning.

Scout Panther at tier7 has the best gun handling track stats of the new tanks at 0.16, tied for best among tier7 lights. It ALSO gets the fastest aim time on a tier7 light. "

Also only -6 degrees on leopard prototype. Shitty gun depression hits once again!

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
i'm pretty excited about the indienpanzer. Looks like the german sniper we've all been waiting for... one that has a gun depression.

leopard Alpha is complete junk though.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
i'm pretty excited about the indienpanzer. Looks like the german sniper we've all been waiting for... one that has a gun depression.

leopard Alpha is complete junk though.

From the pre-patch note pictures I was hopeing that these tanks would at least have some armor. It appears thats not even close to the case. They have the slopes, just not the armor to make it useful. Sure it looks like they could be fast little snipers, but arty is going to love hitting these guys even more than batchats. Also in pure german fashion, I'm sure these will light on fire from frontal shots. If they give these tanks the same or better camo ratings as the russian mediums, then I could see them being somewhat useful. But then what team wants a tier 10 sniper?

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Well finally broke my all time kill record in a game of 9. That has been there for ages since I got it in a Marder II and KV with the 152 derp. Killed 10 souls on El Haluf encounter with the M4 last night. They just couldnt help themselves to coming one at a time against the derp.

This week has been especially fun.

Only got to play 7 games in the M4 with 38 kills.

MM really should do something about these people getting 10 kills in a game. Its just not fair that WG allows things like this to happen.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
MM really should do something about these people getting 10 kills in a game. Its just not fair that WG allows things like this to happen.
38 kills in 7 games? Sounds like the teams were TOTALLY unbalanced. MM needs to be revamped to prevent such one-sided matches. :whiste:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
From the pre-patch note pictures I was hopeing that these tanks would at least have some armor. It appears thats not even close to the case. They have the slopes, just not the armor to make it useful. Sure it looks like they could be fast little snipers, but arty is going to love hitting these guys even more than batchats. Also in pure german fashion, I'm sure these will light on fire from frontal shots. If they give these tanks the same or better camo ratings as the russian mediums, then I could see them being somewhat useful. But then what team wants a tier 10 sniper?

they supposedly have very good camo ratings. However they will not light on fire... no frontal transmission. They have frontal ammo racks instead. However, the speed seems supposedly good: 50-60 on cruise.

but yeah, arty's going to eat these alive. A near splash from a T-92 will probably kill you, doesn't even need direct hits.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
38 kills in 7 games? Sounds like the teams were TOTALLY unbalanced. MM needs to be revamped to prevent such one-sided matches. :whiste:

People say 'How do you spell your name, Creig?' and I've responded that I've never, ever seen that spelling anywhere, where does it come from? Now I can't.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Indien Panzer? I don't think it is as good as the Panther II. A little sluggish but the gun is nice. It looks like a mini-lowe.

Really really like the leopard I though. Great mobility + nice gun.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Indien Panzer? I don't think it is as good as the Panther II. A little sluggish but the gun is nice. It looks like a mini-lowe.

Really really like the leopard I though. Great mobility + nice gun.

Really? I'm loving the indien panzer. the 9cm is an incredible gun and the mobility is not SO sluggish that it affects movement too much. The terrain passability can use some work though. The gun depression is incredible as well. It's like a better pershing, minus the turret armor. Only problem is that aim time is waaaaay too long.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Maybe I didn't give it enough time or the Leopard I impressed me so much. It is a very good tank but still felt a little sluggish for me compared to the PII. Ill play it more over the weekend. I actually liked the Tier 7 light tank. That thing was pretty durable for being a light. I put the 105 derp on it and ran premium.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Some thoughts on the mediums: I played them for about 3-4 battles each.

Indien Panzer: awesome. Gun depression on a german tier 8 with a great gun!? Is nimble enough to shoot and scoot, and reloads decently fast as well. Downside is armor is nonexistant and turret is very weak. aimtime with the 9cm is BAD, reminded me of a french tank. (ok, not THAT bad). Don't brawl: you bleed too much speed on turns.

Leo Alpha: ugh. What can I say about this tank? the 120 on this thing takes a VERY long time to reload, but is otherwise a good accurate gun. This tank has NO depression. NO armor. Speed is not great either, its just slightly faster than a pershing and its DEFINITELY no T-54, E-50, Patton, etc etc. The worst of tier 9 mediums. Did I mention the OTM dispersion is terrible and you can't brawl because it bleeds speed on turns so easily.

Also I got ammo racked every game. Front left wheel is like a giant sore spot.

Leo 1: It's a sportscar. The reload is a bit better, but still not great. The gun is good, and it's so freaking accurate. Has great accuracy too. I was hitting T-62s from over 550m away with no problems. But the tank feels like its lacking something. The acceleration seems a bit slow and terrain passability, like all the new mediums, feels like crap.

biggest problem is the OTM dispersion is BAD. I thought it would be at least as good as patton but it's WORSE than a batchat!!! What ever happened to "this tank will be very accurate on the move!" What a crock of shit.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Sniping mediums are worthless to me. That is the problem with the Panther I. Plinking away with small caliber guns is a complete waste. Mediums have to get to certain places and duke it out, winning key spots on the map. If they can not brawl they are completely useless to me. Leave the sniping to the TDs.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The issue with the Panther I was its meager damage output. Yeah it could snipe. But it was like a single ant nipping on the ass of a rhino. Just not enough damage per shot to make it worth its while. But take for instance an E50. Now that could snipe and deliver a hit. These guns are in the same league as the 105 on the E50 and E50m or the L71 on the Panther II.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I think of mediums differently, they need to be versatile. They have high ROF, have enough hp to take a hit or 2, and there are precious few TDs that can relocate as fast as a medium. I'm not talking about base camping, I'm talking about going from one choke point to another at 50-60 km/h and having enough punch to matter.

I actually had really good records in the panther 1 and 2 and I played them both conservatively as a mobile support platform. I plugged falling flanks, I pushed through gaps in the enemy's defenses, and I can flank and provide fire support while real brawlers went in to distract the other tanks. Although the definition of "Sniping" to me is engaging at 200-300 meters, and "brawling" is point blank knife fights.

But then again I'm conservative in my playstyle since I only solo-pub (and my platoonmate is a bad that needs to be dragged to victory).

edit:

yea, the E-50 can do 400? damage on hits and so could the leopard. That alone makes "sniping" worthwhile along with a good rate of fire.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
yea, the E-50 can do 400? damage on hits and so could the leopard. That alone makes "sniping" worthwhile along with a good rate of fire.

Here is the problem with this:

In a pub match you have a certain number of top tier tanks. If you have a few mediums as your top tier tanks and they are busy sniping, they are NOT going to get to the spots a medium or light tank needs to control. Instead you give up ground for the sake of doing inconsequential damage (let's be honest here, at top tier play we are all a radio for TD's and arty).

Once you give up the position, then you are playing a defensive battle. Mediums CAN NOT play a defensive battle in a pub match. There are exceptions to this, good arty support, platooned interaction, etc, but for the most part the mediums will fail to the encroaching enemy. Best example I have to this is on Prokovanka, the team that sits passive on the 1-3 line dies to the encroaching TDs.

Mediums sitting on the opposite sides of el halluf instead of fighting in the water. Mediums sniping from across the field in campinova instead of going hill. Mediums trying to win town instead of going to the center in Mines. Mediums sniping on the 8 line instead of going hill or flanking in himmelsdorf. Mediums that try to brawl big tanks in the city on Ruinburg instead of going on the 0 line. FAIL.

Or to put it another way. In general:
TD's sacrifice turrets for a big and faster firing gun.
Heavies sacrifice speed and maneuvering for the most hit points, armor, and a big gun.
Mediums sacrifice hit points and a big gun for speed and maneuverability.
Lights sacrifice all for speed and camouflage.

If you are sniping in a medium, then why have speed and maneuverability.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
is komarin gone? i know swamp is which sucks, i liked that map
they need to get rid of campinovka, god i hate that map

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
People say 'How do you spell your name, Creig?' and I've responded that I've never, ever seen that spelling anywhere, where does it come from? Now I can't.

"Creig" is the Celtic spelling of the English name "Craig".

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
In a pub match you have a certain number of top tier tanks. If you have a few mediums as your top tier tanks and they are busy sniping, they are NOT going to get to the spots a medium or light tank needs to control.

Here's where our definition of sniping conflicts, I think.

I don't think of a sniper as someone that HAS to stay in the back in the T95/JT/Ferdinand's spot. There are many high value areas that only a medium can get to that can still be good for sniping. Which is why I said my general "sniping" engagements happen at 300~ meters, not 500+. A brawler can't really snipe, but a "sniper" tank can brawl in a pinch.

For example, in mines, I grab the hill no matter what medium I'm in. The leopard's agility and gun depression will give you the hill easily, and anybody that's coming up will have to face a blistering volley of fire from the tanks already on the hill. The hill is a good "sniping" spot, but its also a high value target and is a big brawling ground.

All the mediums can brawl, but some just do it better than others.

Also Komarins been gone for like 3 patches.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I agree with Power. My idea of sniper isnt sitting in the back. It has more to do with the ability of the tank to hit at distance accurately. Tanks that can do this are snipers in my opinion. Mediums can run around the map much more efficiently and they can pack a punch when they show up. The E50 has the damage potential to turn a battle once it shows up in an area. And it can relocate pretty good. The leopard I can do it better.

I thought they added Komarin back in with 8.4? Though I have never had it come up.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
maybe komarin's only been added back for assault? I don't play that bullshit mode so I wouldn't know.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Here is the problem with this:

In a pub match you have a certain number of top tier tanks. If you have a few mediums as your top tier tanks and they are busy sniping, they are NOT going to get to the spots a medium or light tank needs to control. Instead you give up ground for the sake of doing inconsequential damage (let's be honest here, at top tier play we are all a radio for TD's and arty).

Once you give up the position, then you are playing a defensive battle. Mediums CAN NOT play a defensive battle in a pub match. There are exceptions to this, good arty support, platooned interaction, etc, but for the most part the mediums will fail to the encroaching enemy. Best example I have to this is on Prokovanka, the team that sits passive on the 1-3 line dies to the encroaching TDs.

Mediums sitting on the opposite sides of el halluf instead of fighting in the water. Mediums sniping from across the field in campinova instead of going hill. Mediums trying to win town instead of going to the center in Mines. Mediums sniping on the 8 line instead of going hill or flanking in himmelsdorf. Mediums that try to brawl big tanks in the city on Ruinburg instead of going on the 0 line. FAIL.

Or to put it another way. In general:
TD's sacrifice turrets for a big and faster firing gun.
Heavies sacrifice speed and maneuvering for the most hit points, armor, and a big gun.
Mediums sacrifice hit points and a big gun for speed and maneuverability.
Lights sacrifice all for speed and camouflage.

If you are sniping in a medium, then why have speed and maneuverability.

I would guess for the ability to relocate fast. I still don't see the new german tank being that useful, but I'll probably try it out on the test server anyway. Gun depression doesn't matter nearly as much if your turret is easily pennable, and with only like 90 armor, arty is going to have a field day.

I still hold that the T54 is one of the best mediums. Its fast, good gun, great camo,and its turret is made of bouncitanium. Not to mention its upper glacias is also very bouncy. Sure it might lack gun depression, and while that would be nice, its not that bad. It'll get better when they introduce the independant suspensions with one of the new patches so your tank wont teater over small bumps.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i figure another 2 weeks until i get the batchat since i'm doing my grinds w/o premium as i'll be off a week for vacation and didn't want to waste premium heh

can't wait as i've seen it completely dominate a match especially mid/endgame
the lorraine is to slow and has a high profile so it's harder to do the same.
but i do enjoy the lorraine.

the amx50 120, i still HATE. i'm about 30k away from the gun tho. maybe that will change my feelings a little