[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 299 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
They posted the arty changes so far for patch 8.3. Also they opened the public 8.3 test server if you want to get a first hand feel for the changes and new Chinese tanks.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
the tier 10 Chinese medium is nuts. a little worse DPM than the T-62A with much better alpha and better hull armor. it'll be in very high demand for CW. the tier 10 heavy is pretty good as well, it seems like a copied IS-4 that is slightly better in every way. but i'll definitely be picking up the medium and may even free xp it.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
the tier 10 Chinese medium is nuts. a little worse DPM than the T-62A with much better alpha and better hull armor. it'll be in very high demand for CW. the tier 10 heavy is pretty good as well, it seems like a copied IS-4 that is slightly better in every way. but i'll definitely be picking up the medium and may even free xp it.

Typical Wargaming BS changes. As if the T62A wasn't OP enough, we now need the Chinese equivalent to be even more OP! Wish they would balance the game and stop favoring just the russian (or Russian derivative) tanks.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
I've been away since the beta ended way back. I ground my way to the top of the russian and german TD lines. Looks like I'll be doing it all over again. How's the overall game play been? Invisible tanks still an issue?

Trying to update the game at just over 4 gig. The first 1.5 went quick, now it's crawling. I should have it by easter.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
I've been away since the beta ended way back. I ground my way to the top of the russian and german TD lines. Looks like I'll be doing it all over again. How's the overall game play been? Invisible tanks still an issue?

Trying to update the game at just over 4 gig. The first 1.5 went quick, now it's crawling. I should have it by easter.
Yeah but people know a lot more about how the spotting system works. It's like WoW, a lot of stuff didn't make sense until the playerbase figured out the mechanics. Wargaming devs are getting better about answering questions about those types of things, but they can still be arrogant and secretive when it comes to some topics (hidden stats, credit multipliers, "historical accuracy" etc).

To speed up the download try disabling the use torrents checkbox.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
I don't know what they changed in 8.2, but I'm about 100 games in the hole since the release. It's unbelievable.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yesterday I noticed I only had 7k more exp to go on getting the E100 researched so I played my E75. The tanking gods took pity on me and made it a fun and rewarding drive. Not many battles that had more than two arty per side. I was quite surprised by this. Anyway, the E100 is now researched. No plans on buying one but its ready if I want to.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
I may not be back after all. Updating my beta to the current version didn't work. Completely uninstalled and tried downloading the entire game. Still no go. Both times it installed and reached out the the server to verify it's the current version, but after clicking play it launches, goes to a black screen, then white with a pointer in the middle and crashes to desktop. I've tried all the remedies in their support forum with the same result every time. It's on a back burner now.

I do miss my 704 though.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Depends. Do think T34s,Lowes, and E75s disappearing about 150 yards in front of you in open desert is an issue?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

They typically nerf things as they release updates. All of the tier 10 mediums and TDs (cept for american tds?) got nerfed in the public test.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
If we're talking about the invisi tank bug that has been around since beta they have made improvements upon it. Its not as bad as it originally was but it still exists. I'm guessing their programmers have taken it as far as they can as far as fixing it. I'd say they have squashed it about 75%. Originally it was very bad. That other 25% can be quite annoying though.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
They typically nerf things as they release updates. All of the tier 10 mediums and TDs (cept for american tds?) got nerfed in the public test.
i wouldn't be surprised if it gets changed down the road, but if you consider this a continuation of the 8.2 test server where the chinese tanks first appeared, it got a significant dpm buff. this will also be the only 8.3 test server iteration barring any critical technical bugs, so we are most likely looking at the final stats for the chinese line.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
i wouldn't be surprised if it gets changed down the road, but if you consider this a continuation of the 8.2 test server where the chinese tanks first appeared, it got a significant dpm buff. this will also be the only 8.3 test server iteration barring any critical technical bugs, so we are most likely looking at the final stats for the chinese line.

I tried to find some stats but couldn't, seems they're not officially posted yet. You have any sort of comparison? Would love to see what sort of stats the chinese tanks have.

Edit:

Dug through forums and found some stuff, but don't have definitive numbers on heavies. Though the general consensus is the heavy line is pretty much worthless in comparison to the medium line, and the main problem is with the tier 10's 122mm, which can have a 400mm pen HEAT round. The gun also fires terribly slowly (12 second reload) and only has -3 degrees of depression, which severely limits its ability to do anything other than brawling. I don't do clan wars so I wouldn't know how much that affects things, but having -3 degrees really hurts the tank by eliminating many useful hull down positions. I'd wait for test round 2 to see how they tune this. The 100mm is not any better than the T-62's, so that eliminates any reason to choose the chinese medium over a 62, which gets passed over for pattons anyway.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
From what I've heard the chinese medium is essentially a 62a with a better alpha, but longer reload and slightly less dpm. If its faster than the 62a, then I could maybe see it being used in CW.

All high tier russian tanks (heavies/mediums/TDs) have shit for gun depression. Its something you just learn to deal with, and its the price you pay for having such a low profile tank. In most games it doesn't make alot of difference. When you look at most of the tanks with great gun depression, most have a huge weakspot (cupola) to hit anyway, which really negates its usefullness.

Also I've never seen 62s get passed over for Pattons. 62s and batchats are the premier mediums for CW right now. As for pubs, I would rather see a wolfpack of 62s on my team than pattons.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
From what I've seen on the test server the wz-121 is on paper more sluggish than the type, but it has better ground traction so it performs equally well on terrain as the t62. So clan war focuses more on brawler type mediums, or are they looking just mostly for fast mediums in general to light up tanks for arties to hammer down?

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
From what I've seen on the test server the wz-121 is on paper more sluggish than the type, but it has better ground traction so it performs equally well on terrain as the t62. So clan war focuses more on brawler type mediums, or are they looking just mostly for fast mediums in general to light up tanks for arties to hammer down?

The faster mediums (bat and 62a) are generally used in CW over other mediums for a few reasons. First they are faster, so a group of them are able to flex across the battle field to where you need them to counter a push. Second, they have superior camo ratings, so you can hide them in a bush much like a -2 or chaffee, but not effectively lose a damage dealer.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Makes sense, a group of batchats or 62s can really tear things up if they get a good flanking in.

Got my patton yesterday and free exp'd the tracks and the gun. The thing is like a bigger/better pershing in every way shape and form and is super fun to drive. The gun depression is as good or better than the pershing, and the gun can really hurt stuff... despite the fact that it's not accurate at 400m. Don't have the good turret or engine yet so the tank feels a bit sluggish and is 100 hp short. My win rate is terrible in it though, tier 9/10 is pretty much a crapshoot with who has the most accurate arty.

I'm using it as a heavy combat scout with coated optics, rammer and vents at the moment, and its nice to be able to see almost 500m out... but I'm not seeing the much touted accurate firing on the move many people rave about. I realize I don't have the vstab but it shouldn't make that much of a difference...

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
The M46's all around stats (reload, on the move acc, etc) were changed for the worse in patch 7.5 when the T-X meds were introduced.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Makes sense, a group of batchats or 62s can really tear things up if they get a good flanking in.

Got my patton yesterday and free exp'd the tracks and the gun. The thing is like a bigger/better pershing in every way shape and form and is super fun to drive. The gun depression is as good or better than the pershing, and the gun can really hurt stuff... despite the fact that it's not accurate at 400m. Don't have the good turret or engine yet so the tank feels a bit sluggish and is 100 hp short. My win rate is terrible in it though, tier 9/10 is pretty much a crapshoot with who has the most accurate arty.

I'm using it as a heavy combat scout with coated optics, rammer and vents at the moment, and its nice to be able to see almost 500m out... but I'm not seeing the much touted accurate firing on the move many people rave about. I realize I don't have the vstab but it shouldn't make that much of a difference...

Before physics were implemented it hit on the run like a champ. After physics the gun bounces way too much so ranged shots on the move can be difficult. WG knows about the bouncing gun problems all tanks face now. Its a byproduct of physics. Even tanks that have a vertical stabalizer has issues. Supposedly they are trying to fix it but I havent heard what or how they plan on doing it.

Having said all that The Patton is my favorite medium in the game. With the T54 and Type 59 close seconds. It has good speed and can peek its gun over a hill and shoot before the enemy can react. Then you can quickly pull back and go to another part of the rise, peek up, over, and fire. Rinse and repeat. I really like doing that against the enemy. It can take some hits too before dying which is nice. Its really a nice medium tank to play. I mainly use it for sniping and flanking. Get into a wolf pack of other Pattons and watch your performance ratings go way up. Hell, just two Pattons paired up can do some serious damage in a fight.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I dont have a patton, but I have a few platoon mates that love thiers. It can excel at being a long range spotter, and its gun depression lets it do things other mediums can't. It however gives up the wolfpack like agility and speed that the t54 and lorraine have. My brother and I will usually play our 704s, while my friend will play his patton for spotting. They compliment eachother nicely, as he has the great spotting range, and can finish off those targets trying to limp away after taking two BL-10 shots.

A platoon of t54s (in some of my cases, 2 54s and a lorraine) can just wreak havok on the battlefield though. I just finished my T54 "grind", and it was most probably one of the easiest in the game. I always wolfpacked this tank, and the stats definately show it, as I have a >75% win rate on this tank with over 200 games. I also have to say getting a mastery badge on this tank is a bitch. You need over 2k xp (w/ premium) to get one, and in order to get that, it can easily take doing over 6k damage along with some spotting damage. I also plan on keeping this tank, which is unfortunate, since it'll require me to train up another crew. Thank god we get a 2x crew training bonus this weekend.

Also Power, the vert stab seems to make a world of difference on the t54. I've hit so many rediculous shots on the move with it.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I don't know what they changed in 8.2, but I'm about 100 games in the hole since the release. It's unbelievable.

If you figure it out, clue me in.. I was 54% win.. got a new batch of tanks (I do pay prem for EXP) and all that stock stuff dropped me to 51%, as i slowly upgrade i was back to 54%.. in the last few weeks.. im back to only 60 games on the plus side and 51% again.. I average 2 kills a match.. and Im only into tier 5 (already have another account to tier 10, prefer the lower level battles). one thing really bugging me is go down through my tanks and almost all are 52-56% win ratio.. then you get to crap like the Chruchhill, even fully upgraded I'm 28%, and the much loved EMX.. 19%!!!! I do know I suck with fast tanks.. and that EMX has no turret so its pure speed and nothing else to me..I can live with that.. but the Church can take a beating.. and I'm almost top 5.. I have to face it I just suck with it.

played the game for 2 years now.. up till just lately i keep a 55% win ratio.. I cant win crap.. Its amazingly frustrating how so many teams lemming.. one fast tank they all follow and leave offensive paths wide open, or defended by 1 tank.. And my pet peeve.. does nobody upgrade radio? I see half their force movin onto a single friendly and NOBODY close even attempts to go support.. Is the radar optional to some? Its as if nobody understand Support in the Pubs.. are 4 arty match's.. the tanks all suicide, no scouting and letting arty soften um up.. and you got a 10 minute of nothing....I cant understand the arty hate.. you cant blame arty for you sitting long enough for a 5-10 second site in out in the open.. Besides nobody lets arty work anyways.. scouting is almost non exsitant in most pub games..

I really hate to quit.. and I'm not going clan battles again.. no interest in that again..

ya.. been a bad couple of month in WoT.. needed to vent to the net.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
If you figure it out, clue me in.. I was 54% win.. got a new batch of tanks (I do pay prem for EXP) and all that stock stuff dropped me to 51%, as i slowly upgrade i was back to 54%.. in the last few weeks.. im back to only 60 games on the plus side and 51% again.. I average 2 kills a match.. and Im only into tier 5 (already have another account to tier 10, prefer the lower level battles). one thing really bugging me is go down through my tanks and almost all are 52-56% win ratio.. then you get to crap like the Chruchhill, even fully upgraded I'm 28%, and the much loved EMX.. 19%!!!! I do know I suck with fast tanks.. and that EMX has no turret so its pure speed and nothing else to me..I can live with that.. but the Church can take a beating.. and I'm almost top 5.. I have to face it I just suck with it.

I really hate to quit.. and I'm not going clan battles again.. no interest in that again..

ya.. been a bad couple of month in WoT.. needed to vent to the net.

My stats the last couple of days have taken a dramatic upturn. I'm not sure if it's because the kiddies had to go back to school or what.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I ran a vstab on my t-54 back in beta, but was under the assumption that the patton didn't need it. The game is very bouncy right now (tanks flying with the smallest of bumps) and I think the devs said they were going to improve terrain passability and make tanks bounce less and feel "heavier". Not sure if that's the issue with my patton right now though, I'll make reserved judgements until I get my crew back up to 100% again. (at 97%)

Wolfpacking is always the best idea in general though, the other day me and 2 other pattons took the hill in muranovka (or whatever) and proceeded to obliterate a batchat, 50-100, is4, m103, t34 and one of their gwtigers. 2 pattons limped away with about 200-300 hp each (for some reason I never got hit) and we proceeded to wipe the floor with the other team.

That being said, my stats have more or less stayed the same, I don't find physics to be that much of an issue. Some days you keep losing, other days you get all your doubles/triples done in an hour or 2. If you find a side stalled or failing and you can't get any shots in, you NEED to either flank or relocate to a useful location. You can't blame lemmings for everything, you have to create your own opportunities. Sometimes it works, other times it works as a distraction which will allow the stalled flank to move. Either way, doing nothing is worse than doing something and then failing.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I've never really noticed the terrain being all that much of an issue when firing on the move (unless its fucking RR tracks). It does seem that tanks become airborne a little too easily, but the scale is also a little misleading. I always think of my tank as car sized, which isn't the case, but in that case, those bumps don't seem all that large. However when you realize your driving a tank (thats fucking huge) and then look at the size of some of those bump (like 1-2 feet+) you realize how you can catch air when you hit that going 50-60kph.

The main issue I have isn't with becoming airborne, its with coming to an immediate halt from hitting things like small rocks in the sand maps or piles of debree in city maps, and the worst is getting stuck on the foundation of a building.