[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 300 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The problem is there's sometimes too many of those little bumps. Like on El Haluf... driving a scout around on that map is the most painful experience. Tons of little bumps on a downward hill means that you have to slow down to 30-40 km to avoid flying into the sky and breaking your tracks.

And there's still plenty of "invisible" walls. They're just now in the form of impassible gravel/rock formations that offer 0 traction so your tank slides off.

And there's a lot of walls that after you run over them, they leave a bump which makes your tank tilt up like 5-10 degrees. I can't imagine a 50 ton tank getting propped up by 3-4 pieces of bricks.

Also don't get me started on tree stumps. Got stuck on one one game and had to have a teammate come push me off.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
The problem is there's sometimes too many of those little bumps. Like on El Haluf... driving a scout around on that map is the most painful experience. Tons of little bumps on a downward hill means that you have to slow down to 30-40 km to avoid flying into the sky and breaking your tracks.

And there's still plenty of "invisible" walls. They're just now in the form of impassible gravel/rock formations that offer 0 traction so your tank slides off.

And there's a lot of walls that after you run over them, they leave a bump which makes your tank tilt up like 5-10 degrees. I can't imagine a 50 ton tank getting propped up by 3-4 pieces of bricks.

Also don't get me started on tree stumps. Got stuck on one one game and had to have a teammate come push me off.

Remember that guy that stole a tank years ago, and after running over a bunch of crap he eventually got stuck on a cement highway divider? So I guess tanks in real life have the same problem on getting stuck on stupid shit. Now just imagine if you could take damage from running into the terrain, I would have killed myself quite a few times hitting those rocks in the sand maps.

I do have to agree with el haluf. After the map change, the first time I tried to go to the fish bowl I went down the "wrong" way and ended up flying in the air and double tracking myself right out in the open.

On another note it looks like they updated these signature images to include your 60 day win4 and eff ratings. Wow, mine are just retarded. I guess thats the power of platooning with competant people.

signature.png

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
On another note it looks like they updated these signature images to include your 60 day win4 and eff ratings. Wow, mine are just retarded. I guess thats the power of platooning with competant people.

signature.png

You pad stats a lot better than me:

signature.png

edit: of course, your stats are better than mine in those 60 days, damage, k/d everything.

Last edited:

OSULugan

Feb 22, 2003
So I've gotten the Tiger just about fully upgraded. It's still a fun tank to play. I don't main-line battle it unless I'm the only top-tier heavy, prefering to support and snipe with the other heavy hitters on the team.

But, I'd been missing having some additional speed/maneuverability, so I pushed and got the Panther with the recent discount. It's fully upgraded, and I'm enjoying the top end gun on it.

Question for the peanut gallery is: Focus on getting the Tiger II or Panther II?

I'd judge the Panther as being better than the Tiger in most categories except health. Does the Tiger II / Panther II comparison mirror this or is the Tiger II noticeably better? Further, which line leads to a better Tier X tank?

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Question for the peanut gallery is: Focus on getting the Tiger II or Panther II?

Tiger 2 goes to the E75 which is great... then the E100 which is a turd.

The Panther 2 to the E50 is a great increase in everything. The E50m is overall an increase to the E50.

edit: Also from the Panther to the Panther 2 is not a bad step as the tank goes from the needenose 75 to the tiger's 88. For a medium the tiger's 88 is great. So the turd in the panther line is basically the panther. The turd in the tiger line is the E100.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
E100 is better now that you can buy the giant derp gun's gold shots for silver. Still not as good as other tier xs but at least it won't bounce on a t8 now.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
I'd focus on Panther II -> E-50M first. Tier X mediums are a lot of fun and useful in every situation. The E-100 is decent now if you are willing to fire HEAT shells in pub matches but you will be hating life every time you get a sand map with more than 2 arty.

OSULugan

Feb 22, 2003
Ouch. Well good feedback for sure. I wasn't aware that the E-100 was considered that much worse. I've just now started getting into matches that have an appreciable number of Tier Xs to get a judge on what is used.

I'm glad that I went ahead and picked up the Panther for cheap, while I could.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The main issue I have isn't with becoming airborne, its with coming to an immediate halt from hitting things like small rocks in the sand maps or piles of debree in city maps, and the worst is getting stuck on the foundation of a building.

I know it sucks! Running along and slightly brush up against something small and the tank comes to a screetching halt. Drives me up a wall. LOL

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
OSULugan:
The tiger 2 and E-75 I would say are better than thier medium counter parts. However the 50M would be a better bet than the E100. Weather you go for the E50 or the E75, either way you need to be saving up craptons of free xp. Both those tanks are god awful to play stock(trust me, I did it) and you'll need 120+k free xp get tracks/engine/turret/gun. In any case if your looking for a great tier 10 tank, you won't really find one in the German line.

Frodo:
Is it really padding though? Its not like I'm playing tier 2s all day. About 500 of those games in the last 60 days was my grind from the T43->T44->T54->T62a, and its not like the T43 and T44 have that many redeeming factors to them, except maybe lighting on fire and blowing up. Sure I guess you could say I pad my efficiency with my cap whoring, but the WN4 rating fixes that.

You play too many games solo, and your stats can take a beating for that. Whenever I play solo I end up rage quitting way too often, which I guess saves me from the inevitable downward spiral. Your lucky you weren't picked for CW yesterday also. Battle sucked ass, one of our guys DCed, and they rushed us with 11 batchats and 3 50Bs with an arty hidden somewhere. I at least got top damage on our team, and we killed all but 4 of them, but a loss is a loss.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Frodo:
Is it really padding though? Its not like I'm playing tier 2s all day. About 500 of those games in the last 60 days was my grind from the T43->T44->T54->T62a, and its not like the T43 and T44 have that many redeeming factors to them, except maybe lighting on fire and blowing up. Sure I guess you could say I pad my efficiency with my cap whoring, but the WN4 rating fixes that.

I am just giving you grief. You play higher tier tanks then I tend to (unless it is the 268 which I am falling in love with). You know I play way too damn aggressively which hurts my after action game stats (can't rack up a crap ton of damage if I die in 5 minutes!).
You play too many games solo, and your stats can take a beating for that. Whenever I play solo I end up rage quitting way too often, which I guess saves me from the inevitable downward spiral. Your lucky you weren't picked for CW yesterday also. Battle sucked ass, one of our guys DCed, and they rushed us with 11 batchats and 3 50Bs with an arty hidden somewhere. I at least got top damage on our team, and we killed all but 4 of them, but a loss is a loss.
I played all those games solo yesterday and it shows. However, if you compare the average exp between our games and realize I lost a crapton more percentage than you, I actually did pretty well. And I shit you not, if that damn churchill died quicker I would have had another klobalobalobalobalovs medal in my KV-2.

My other issue with platooning is while I am not an elitist, there are many players that I just can't platoon with. Some are completely silent (okay, well they are better than a nameless pub, it is hard to coordinate). Others are way too passive (which is a fine strategy but it doesn't mesh well when I pull a Patton and play aggressively and wonder where my platoonmate is). Finally, sometimes I just want to derp around in some odd tank. Normally it is the KV-2, M3 Lee, and my Mark 1. I really don't care if I lose in those tanks, but they don't make for good platooning (which is why I bought the E2 for when you run the VK... the KV2 just didn't do a good job with you).

So they ran the same damn strat they ran 2 night ago (and they ran that strat on both Volt and Bad) and it worked this time, huh. I was raging two nights ago because while my 261 is accurate it is hard to hit bats zooming around... although I caused an enemy 50B to bounce two shots on my hull *AND* made a bat arty miss me while I danced.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I am just giving you grief. You play higher tier tanks then I tend to (unless it is the 268 which I am falling in love with). You know I play way too damn aggressively which hurts my after action game stats (can't rack up a crap ton of damage if I die in 5 minutes!).

I played all those games solo yesterday and it shows. However, if you compare the average exp between our games and realize I lost a crapton more percentage than you, I actually did pretty well. And I shit you not, if that damn churchill died quicker I would have had another klobalobalobalobalovs medal in my KV-2.

My other issue with platooning is while I am not an elitist, there are many players that I just can't platoon with. Some are completely silent (okay, well they are better than a nameless pub, it is hard to coordinate). Others are way too passive (which is a fine strategy but it doesn't mesh well when I pull a Patton and play aggressively and wonder where my platoonmate is). Finally, sometimes I just want to derp around in some odd tank. Normally it is the KV-2, M3 Lee, and my Mark 1. I really don't care if I lose in those tanks, but they don't make for good platooning (which is why I bought the E2 for when you run the VK... the KV2 just didn't do a good job with you).

So they ran the same damn strat they ran 2 night ago (and they ran that strat on both Volt and Bad) and it worked this time, huh. I was raging two nights ago because while my 261 is accurate it is hard to hit bats zooming around... although I caused an enemy 50B to bounce two shots on my hull *AND* made a bat arty miss me while I danced.

Well to be fair, yesterday, I had to dig myself out a of a huge whole I started in. First game in my T34, on Mines, 7 tier 10x, some 9s, our platoon as 8s, 4 arty. All our tens are 48%ers or worse. I go east of the hill, my gunner is drunk and I completely miss my first 2 shots, I get shot up a little (still around 800-900hp) and then our own JPZE100 shoot me because "I got infront of him too much, and I angered him". Well our team loses handedly, think they only killed 1 tank. So 0 damage, 73 xp.

Well we are like, that blows. Lets try derp tier 5s. MM clears gives us the middle finger again as we are the only 5s in a tier 7 game. A t29 rolls up on me, I bounced he proceeds to eat me, our team folds faster than a house of cards in a tornado. So again 0 damage, and somewhere around 80xp.

So the fact that I still ended up with a 70% w/r, 1920 avg dam, and 912 avg xp for the day after starting off like that is pretty good.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
Just got denied a Kolobanov's. Soloed the last 5 people on their team, but no medal, because I had an afk arty sitting in the back of my team's spawn that never died. Pretty sure this is the second time it's happened to me too.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
So? Medals are fun little additions that don't give you extra exp or credits or anything. If you're a good player it'll show in your stats often enough that it won't matter. If you really wanted that medal you could've went back to base to blow up the afk arty.

OSULugan

Feb 22, 2003
In any case if your looking for a great tier 10 tank, you won't really find one in the German line.

I got to about tier 5 in the Soviet Line before deciding to focus on the German line for now. Are the Soviet Tier 10s a better bet?

I guess when originally looking at it, I didn't realize that the top end tanks were 50s/60s era tanks for the Allied powers, but for the Germans it is prototype 40s era tanks. It's only logical that the German tank line would be underpowered under those circumstances.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I got to about tier 5 in the Soviet Line before deciding to focus on the German line for now. Are the Soviet Tier 10s a better bet?

I guess when originally looking at it, I didn't realize that the top end tanks were 50s/60s era tanks for the Allied powers, but for the Germans it is prototype 40s era tanks. It's only logical that the German tank line would be underpowered under those circumstances.

is7 is pretty great as long as you don't expose your sides. Is4 is worthless and is in fact worse than E-100 for all intents and purposes. I'd go for a T110E5 (american top heavy) if anything, and get a german or russian tier x medium since they're both pretty sweet tanks.

Of course, if you're thinking tank destroyers, all the t10 tank destroyers are pretty savage. The t-30 is one of the scarier ones just because it can hull down and has a turret... but it has nonexistant body armor.

American mediums are fun too... wouldn't recommend french tanks to you and I don't have enough experience with the british line.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
So? Medals are fun little additions that don't give you extra exp or credits or anything. If you're a good player it'll show in your stats often enough that it won't matter. If you really wanted that medal you could've went back to base to blow up the afk arty.

I realize that, my stats speak for themselves and I don't need a medal to prove myself to anyone, but the rarity of Kolobanov's makes it special (I have 2 in 11k battles - the least of any of the original epic medals except for Burda's). It's just frustrating that there is such a huge element of luck involved, and then when everything falls into place you can still get screwed by an afk tool. I also got denied a Tarczay's medal (Billotte's but with 5+ kills) a few months ago by WG's crappy programming, the game decided to only give a Billotte's. Wonder if they have fixed that bug yet.

TKing the arty was out of the question since I had already killed 2 of the remaining enemies by the time I could have gone back to base.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yesterday I finally broke through the 100k credit barrier with my T59. Previous best was like 94k. Had this tank since the second day they first went on sale and could never get over 100K credits in a battle with the thing. Done it in my Lowe countless times but never the T59. Final score was 121K credits and 4200+ exp. I was surprised and happy. My poor little T59 finally joined the 100k club.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The churchill series fill me with despair. More specifically, the churchill VII.

Poor armor vs upper tiers with an inadequate gun, terrible top speed and huge vulnerabilities everywhere in its hull. I was fighting another churchill and found out it's one of the few tanks where you can shoot it frontally in the tracks and DO DAMAGE. You can also shoot the inside of the tracks (the 2 big pieces sticking out of the front) and do tons of damage WHILE keeping the tank tracked. All without touching the hitbox of the main tank!

In WOT, you have three things. Speed, Firepower, Armor. You need 2/3 for a good tank. Churchill has ZERO of these things.

Ugh. Why did I waste a million credits on this thing.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
The churchill has interesting armor and a large HP pool. If people don't know where to shoot them, they can bounce rounds that should go right through. Unfortunately the premium churchill has been around forever so people know the weakspots.

The blackprince is still a beast though. Granted the gun is basically the panther's 75, but man that tank has troll armor.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Black prince has good armor, that I know. However Churchill VII's armor is not going to bounce anything because... you can't angle the tank. If you angle it: boom, they shoot the soft tracks that are also part of the HP hit box. Actually even if you don't angle, shooting the top part of the tracks will also cause hp damage for some reason. The 150 mm of armor only applies to a thin strip of armor in the center of the tank, but it has 2 weakspots: driver hatch and mg port. The bottom hull is not as strong but it's slightly angled.

Combined with the whole lack of gun depression and this tank gives me a depression.

If the cromwell wasn't so fun I'd have given up on the whole british tank tree. It's a great tank to run alongside my friend's E8... but it's so fast I often leave him trailing.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I have written a small post about Remmel's:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index....he-bad-brothers-of-rommel/page__fromsearch__1

Oddly this is a game where I think too many plaople play it....that shouldn't play it.

Everyone has to start from somewhere. You know you like owning all those newbs. I know I played like an idiot for first few thousand games. I didn't really care about my stats, just wanted to get my first shiny tier 8 (tiger 2 btw). Then I found out about xvm and stat sites and wot statistics, and was like wow, I suck. So instead of working on just mindlessly grinding to higher tiers, I started caring about improving and getting better.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
If all pubs were good players, you'd just see a lot of camping because of the lack of coordination. Unlike clan wars where you have a plan of attack, pubs don't coordinate much even if they're individually good players and you won't have the "right" tanks with you either.