[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 269 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
If you are in a tier 7 or below, sure the type 59s can be dangerous, hell any tier 8 can be an issue. The 59s came out when I was doing my american heavy grind, so I faught hoards of them in my M6 (tier 6) and T29 (tier7). To be honest they are nothing special. So you can't pen the turret when they are hulled down, thats like 80% of tanks in this game. The lower front can be penned by tier 6s, not a real issue. Not to mention most 59 drivers try and circle people and expose thier weak ammo rackable sides anyway. Any upgraded tier 8 outperforms a type.

As for the french 6 shooters, they are easy to counter, all you need to do is stay in a group. They have 0 armor and can only take 3-4 hits from an equal tiered heavy or 1 arty hit. Not to mention 1 of my 3 crew members dies in almost every battle. The reload times are horrendous: 40 sec for 13 90, 50 for lorraine and 35 for batchat. They also have crap for accuracy and aim times; so sniping isn't the best strat. They excel at flanking and 1v1 fights, and this is why people think they are OP. If you force them in a PaB situation, they are easy kills. If you even just try keeping your front to them, they will bounce shots on angled sides.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Not exactly clear on the schematics they're using but the one I saw on the forums has ammo storage in the front and only about 20? or 40? mm of sloped armor. You're going to have to do the digging as I can't access the forums at work, but the leopard 1 has gone through various variants and the version you're talking about is clearly not the one they're using.

edit: Armor thicknesses.

All-welded steel hull, all-cast turret. Hull armor thickness: 70mm@55 (nose); 70mm@60 (glacis); 35mm@50 (upper side); 25mm@90 (lower sides); 25mm@88 (rear) 10mm (top); 15mm (floor).
Turret: 60mm (mantlet); 52mm (front); 60mm (sides and rear)

Look like the stock values for a 1965 Leopard 1...but I don't think WoT will implements it's true values:
leo1armour.jpg

It should also do 65km/h then, sport a 105 mm with a penetration of 405mm @ 200 meters.

And here comes the problem.
Range.
500 meter view range in a Leopard to beyond stupid...this tank should squash a Tiger II in virtually any senario....wonder if they aer going to make SABOT gold ammo for this then...but it hurts me to see the Leopard make into a sad shadow of it self...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'd expect them to bend historical accuracy for game balance. I also dont see them allowing a German medium to have 405mm of penetration at 200 meters. In all honesty wouldnt be surprised if it has the same gun as the E50m.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I'd expect them to bend historical accuracy for game balance. I also dont see them allowing a German medium to have 405mm of penetration at 200 meters. In all honesty wouldnt be surprised if it has the same gun as the E50m.

Oh...sorry..that was not 200 meters.
That is the pen at 2000 meters.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

Pish, they made bullshit calls that screws with balance in the sake of "historical accuracy". I have very little faith in wargaming. But then I am a bit miffed at some of the current balancing in the german line.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Does the tank have composite armor? Not sure how the KE vs HEAT rounds differ in how they impact the armor type, but just remember the game engine doesn't really model that sort of stuff, it's a straight up pen vs armor thickness value + type of round you're using.

As for how they model this tank is really anybody's guess. The armor values seem high for a medium tank, but I'm sure they'll make the view ports a weakness. The hull values look fine though, that's about right for the mediums.

405 penetration with what type of rounds? Sabot? That has to be taken into account as well. All the current tier 10 vehicles shoot credit APCR rounds which have huge penetration at close range (<150 m) but greatly diminished pen beyond that. Big problem for E-50m drivers right now as they are more snipers than anything else.

But again, keep in mind everything in this game engages at around 500m. They can make this tank with good view range and fast, but there has to be some sort of sacrifice in terms of balance (yes that dreaded word) and I think it'll come in terms of armor sacrifices.

But hey, at least the engine's in the back! :D

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
That is using the stock APFSDS 19 kg @ ~1400 meters per second round that the Leopard gun uses...so yes SABOT.

It has normal amour, but you can add to that (putting diffrent kinds of amour on top of that.
The LEopard1A5DK uses add-on-amour...a composite with lowered IR signature...

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'd imagine sabot rounds would be gold rounds. Doesn't something else already shoot those? Don't use gold so can't tell ya, maybe some of the people here that do clan wars have experience with them. My still bigger concern is one schematic I saw that had frontal ammo storage. Hope they won't use that.

As for the armor schema... well, its all speculation for now.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I'd imagine sabot rounds would be gold rounds. Doesn't something else already shoot those? Don't use gold so can't tell ya, maybe some of the people here that do clan wars have experience with them. My still bigger concern is one schematic I saw that had frontal ammo storage. Hope they won't use that.

As for the armor schema... well, its all speculation for now.

Frontal ammorack is reatraded.
The rounds are housed in the back of the turret, in a seperate amourunit, so if "ammoracked", the tank and crew will still survice.

I think WG's problem is that the Leopard is not a Wot "meduim".

It drive like a light WoT tank.
Has the effective amour of a WoT HEAVY tank.
And the gun of a Wot TD

IMHO they should do something different.
Draw a line in the sand at lets say 1950.

WWII tanks fight on smaller WWII maps.
Post-1950 tanks fights on larger maps...they could even make night maps due to IR/Thermal sights.

That way they wouldn't have to rap tanks to make them "fit".

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
As far as I know, they're not putting in the final leopard 1, but the prototype version of it that was designed in the 50s.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Has anyone played the new maps on the test server? Thoughts? Do they have encounter/assault for those maps, or is just standard battle?

I actually like the encounter mode battles, but I'm not really a fan of the assaults, since 2 of the 3 assaults are camp fests.

Got my E-50 last night, and only around 10k from the batchat. I also have to rebuy the 12t so I get the free tank/garage slot.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I found there's 2 things that help your win rate: logging on at odd times (mid afternoon, early morning, late late night) so you stay away from the summer vacation kids... and not requeueing immediately after you lose badly.

The first one is a bit more obvious. People are more "casual" during those times, but they're also more mature and seem to have a better grasp on teamwork and such. The best teamwork I've had are usually not during prime time.

The second one I think is more of a mental thing. You lose badly so you want to go back and redeem yourself... and you seem to end up with 14 other guys who are windowlickers. I find that I make more mistakes if I do this because I get annoyed and just want to get my doubles over and done with, which usually end up badly. My golden rule is if I lose 3 times in a row, I quit for the night... or switch to playing arty now that I have the s-51.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Despite epic fails by us repeatedly last night, I still ended up above 50% when I was done.

The only damn tank I can count on anymore is the fat bastard E100.

I ended the day with 54.5% win rate and over 2k efficiency. I'm not sure how I did that. I even started the day off with 3 losses in a row before I even platooned up with you.

We made some pretty dumb decisions that costs us, but oh well, live and learn.

I could really go for a x5 weekend, would help in eliting the E50 and batchat sooner.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I found there's 2 things that help your win rate: logging on at odd times (mid afternoon, early morning, late late night) so you stay away from the summer vacation kids... and not requeueing immediately after you lose badly.

The first one is a bit more obvious. People are more "casual" during those times, but they're also more mature and seem to have a better grasp on teamwork and such. The best teamwork I've had are usually not during prime time.

The second one I think is more of a mental thing. You lose badly so you want to go back and redeem yourself... and you seem to end up with 14 other guys who are windowlickers. I find that I make more mistakes if I do this because I get annoyed and just want to get my doubles over and done with, which usually end up badly. My golden rule is if I lose 3 times in a row, I quit for the night... or switch to playing arty now that I have the s-51.

I work the swing shift and get home around 12:30 am est. It used to be this was a good time to play because the kids were in bed. Or I should say those who act like hyper retarded kids because in my experience most idiots are really over 18 but can't act like mature adults to save their lives. That was before the game got popular though. Nowadays I find the best gaming time now is between 12 Noon and 6pm est. People are more laid back, not as nasty, and smarter about tactics. Sure there are some idiots about but there seems to be fewer of them and I have my best games during that time. Just my 2 credits worth.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004

Losing days seem to be losing days for me.. You might be onto something with that mental thing.. Few losses puts me in kamakazi or girlscout mode.. charge in trying to light some targets up and clear some out early or camp an hide till we are down 6 tanks to there 12 tanks and cant win with out some unreal luck (or player who is just awsome, we all have those game, sadly not enouhg of um). On those days i lose like 7-8 in a row and am so frustrated i BLAME.. myslef for sure.. but all my teamates too :) thankfully if i play 100 games i maybe "bitch" outloud in maybe one even if im on a losing streak.

I try to just look at my win and damage ratio's.. long as im over 51% im good.. (normally at about 54% been as low as 48 and as high as 56. But have enough battles in i gotta really stink or win for weeks to change my percents now 52.8% currenlty)

I do like the game.. over a year of playing in now.. had 2 accounts.. tested some, pay to play and f2p to see the difference.. my conclusion.. i pay for prem to level faster but unless im going to be in a tank for a LONG grind i dont use prem shells and dont buy mods... Also dont have any Premuim tanks but the Lowe and 59 (and 59 has never left garage).

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Got my batchat yesterday, and free XPed the tracks (since I couldn't mount the gun). I certainly see why people like this tank. Even without the best engine, the tank is zippy and small. The gun overall reload and time between shots is much improved over the lorraine. I have already come close a few times to running out of ammo since it only holds 30 shots.

I played my first E50 game and forgot to put the 1200hp engine on it. Damn was is slow. I dont look forward to the grind its going to take for the tracks/turret/gun on the E50. Until then, its essentially a tier 8 taking up a tier 9 slot. I wish I had the free xp to unlock that stuff, but I only have around 40k atm, and I dont really want to spend it on the E50.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I played my first E50 game and forgot to put the 1200hp engine on it. Damn was is slow. I dont look forward to the grind its going to take for the tracks/turret/gun on the E50. Until then, its essentially a tier 8 taking up a tier 9 slot. I wish I had the free xp to unlock that stuff, but I only have around 40k atm, and I dont really want to spend it on the E50.
If I don't ram something each game in the E50, I feel I am not using it properly.

I got to get you to buy a tier 3 tank so we can roll around in those when the top tier games are kicking our asses. And next time I do something so stupid in seigfried line, freaking track my ass before I roll into no mans land!

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I free exped everything on the E-50 cept the engine I think. I don't like driving a gimp tier 9, though the 88 L71 is probably one of the best guns in the game anyway.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
If I don't ram something each game in the E50, I feel I am not using it properly.

I got to get you to buy a tier 3 tank so we can roll around in those when the top tier games are kicking our asses. And next time I do something so stupid in seigfried line, freaking track my ass before I roll into no mans land!

I have a BT-7, its just I'de rather play the BT-2. I might play the BT-2 a bunch this weekend since crew xp is doubled. I would like to get max camo on it, so it'll be virtually invisible.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I free experienced the entire E50. I believe the cost was 106,500 exp to do it. I have been doing this for all higher end tier tanks since the Tiger II.

First night in 2 weeks that was ended with an overall winning record.

23 games played, 15 wins, 10 survivals.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
contemplating getting a T-54 and a 7 day premium to make up my losses as well. I have a M103 and a t-28 prot coming down the line as well. :p