[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 90 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Americans can actually put vertical stabilizers on at tier 6 I believe. Germans and Russians can only get it at tier 8. It's another reason with the American T29 and the Easy Eight are made out of awesomesauce.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
oh i guess i should just "buy" a stabilizer for my pantherII
and it will be in my depot for the T44 and T54 correct?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Took a break from the German mediums last couple of days. I discovered that I was only a couple thousand xp away from the American T20 after jumping into my American Easy8 tank which I hadn't played in a while. So I researched the T20 and then started playing my Lowe to earn up some creds to buy it.

Also been playing my Tier 2 Russian T-26 tank. Been a while since I played with this little guy. I been so busy lately trying to level up other tanks. The battles are usually fast and furious and highly addictive and fun. I don't see or experience the frustration one encounters at the higher levels when playing with other people. Just good ole plain fun. Most everyone is usually in a good mood too which is a nice change. No one seems takes it very serious which is a nice change of pace. This is the way the game is meant to be IMHO.

If I could only play one tier in this game Tier 2 would be it. What about you others out there? Whats your one overall favorite Tier to play in?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Tier 2 and Tier 8/9. Anything in between has terrible matchmaking most of the time and you'll have your tank wrecked beyond belief no matter how many upgrades you put on it.

Although any game without arty is a good game. Other times you're sitting there with 5 GW Tiger type Es per team.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've been playing this for a few weeks. I chose the American line and it was all good until I hit a wall of suck at the M3 Lee ("tank" with no turret) and the M5 Stuart (one shot wonder).

Overall, this is an interesting game but the "free to play" tag is a lie! :p

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Got the Panther 2 fully upgraded last night... now on the long grind to E-50.

I'm really still trying to figure out how play it to the maximum effectiveness. I keep wanting to dogfight like I would in the DB, but the P2 is just too weak and slow vs the high tier opponents it always faces. The gun isn't terrible, but seems a little weak to be an effective sniper. Not to mention that half of the games I'm in now have 3-4+ high tier arty per side, so sitting in place for more than 2 seconds means you're dead.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I've been playing this for a few weeks. I chose the American line and it was all good until I hit a wall of suck at the M3 Lee ("tank" with no turret) and the M5 Stuart (one shot wonder).

The Lee is actually a fairly decent tank destroyer, but it is exactly that: a tank destroyer. Play a few games in low tier TDs to learn how to play without a turret. Trying to play it as a tank is fruitless.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yup, treat the M3 Lee as a TD and you'll quickly discover its awesome gun. Good accuracy, fast rate of fire and hard hitting. I think I once had a 10 kill match during Beta in my Lee.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005

yea man the tier 3/4 grind is horrible, as is the ~6-7
those tiers made me almost quit cuz of the pzIII ausf a, and 3001p...

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Got the Panther 2 fully upgraded last night... now on the long grind to E-50.

I'm really still trying to figure out how play it to the maximum effectiveness. I keep wanting to dogfight like I would in the DB, but the P2 is just too weak and slow vs the high tier opponents it always faces. The gun isn't terrible, but seems a little weak to be an effective sniper. Not to mention that half of the games I'm in now have 3-4+ high tier arty per side, so sitting in place for more than 2 seconds means you're dead.

i'm in the same position as you right now, i keep wanting to dogfight also cuz that's more my style. it can snipe but it does so little damage even with the top gun. the best is to only engage targets already engaged with your teammates cuz they won't know where you're hitting them from., i just topped 109k so i'm about 52k away from the E50 right now.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The Panther 2 is better suited as a sniper I found. Thing is that your team mates expect you to be on the front line and if you do not go out and confront the big heavies and other big mediums they will complain loudly about you. They dont care that the tank is not built for dog fighting or taking lots of hits. You are a higher tier rank so they expect you to get out front and fight. Your enemy will appreciate you though. The Panther 2 has no intimidation factor to speak of really I have found speaking to players. They know your tank cannot bounce shots and can only take so many hits before dying.

My advice is if you are going to be up front is to group up with other mediums. Stay together and support one another. Safety in numbers type of thing. Otherwise stay back some and snipe from a safe spot or just behind the heavies.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yup, treat the M3 Lee as a TD and you'll quickly discover its awesome gun. Good accuracy, fast rate of fire and hard hitting. I think I once had a 10 kill match during Beta in my Lee.

That's what I tried from the start after reading the forums about the M3 Lee. Problem is, this damned "tank" gets matched against better tanks far more often than not. A TD with that tiny gun is useless and I can only take 1-2 hits from just about anything. I guess this is just an OK tank/TD that is generally outclassed by anything it gets grouped with.

Now...the M5 Stuart seems like an amazing tank but the matchmaker seems to hate it. In the rare game where I'm at least halfway up the list, its a fun tank to play and it can hold its own with the derp gun. Sadly, about 80% of the games in the M5 are games with me at the very bottom of the list. In those games I'm generally better off just hiding somewhere and spotting. Eventually (almost always) a heavy finds me and he knows that I can't outrun him, outgun him, or even outturn him! Basically, being spotted means almost certain death. I'm nearly useless in the M5 and the amount of XP per battle is extremely low.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
That's what I tried from the start after reading the forums about the M3 Lee. Problem is, this damned "tank" gets matched against better tanks far more often than not. A TD with that tiny gun is useless and I can only take 1-2 hits from just about anything. I guess this is just an OK tank/TD that is generally outclassed by anything it gets grouped with.

Now...the M5 Stuart seems like an amazing tank but the matchmaker seems to hate it. In the rare game where I'm at least halfway up the list, its a fun tank to play and it can hold its own with the derp gun. Sadly, about 80% of the games in the M5 are games with me at the very bottom of the list. In those games I'm generally better off just hiding somewhere and spotting. Eventually (almost always) a heavy finds me and he knows that I can't outrun him, outgun him, or even outturn him! Basically, being spotted means almost certain death. I'm nearly useless in the M5 and the amount of XP per battle is extremely low.

Ah well that's just a welcome to tier 4, not so much a problem with the M3 Lee or Stuart. I think the Stuart actually get boned more than the Lee with the matchmaker because it's a light tank.

At tier 3, the highest tier you will see in a match is a tier 5, essentially a two tier spread. Starting at tier 4, it goes to a three point spread. So you can see tier 7 tanks (Tigers, T29s and IS) with your M3 Lee. If you're thinking, 'there's not a goddamn thing I can do against those tanks,' you're absolutely right. You need to drastically alter your approach to the game starting at tier 4.

When the game starts, you need to determine whether you're a big fish or a small one. One complaint that a lot of people have is that small fish have no roles. That's not true. People are really complaining that the small fish can't run around killing everything they see, and that's totally true. You need to expand your game to roles where killing things isn't necessarily on the menu. Scouting intelligently (move towards the line, hide, don't fire, dash away when found, repeat), wait-and-dash (where you wait until everyone's engaged, find the hole, and then make a break for it to bad the arty), gun support (sit behind the fray and lob HE shells at everyone bad), or fire man (use your speed if you have it to go where the current problem is) are all things low tier tanks can do in a high tier game.

I think, honestly, that figuring out how to play low-tier in high-tier matches is what separates the men from boys and the players that stay with the game from those who quit.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
no, i hate arty as well, they need to just put them in their own battles hahah
i don't even care now when i die, they aren't part of the game to me, i'm trying to have nice 1 on 1 or 2 v 1 battles against other tanks and they always ruin it.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Fucking arty is gay. I'm getting tired of it. Those lameasses just sit back behind the lines and act like chickenshits afraid of light tanks and lob huge rounds of crap at all of us having fun. :(

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
haha i pissed a shitload of people off tonight, i just kept playing my t43 and panther II making arty runs, i ignore everything shooting at me and just go to their spawn for arty take downs. 7/10 times i will make it thru and be able to take out at least 1 of the arty, then watch that arty guy bitch at his noob team for letting me get thru LOL. good times, i'm just having fun tonight, not really trying to grind

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I don't have a problem with arty. In my mind if they hit you than you were easy to hit. Higher tier arty has a hell of a reload time, slow to aim (pivot plus aim time), and has to try to predict your movements. I am sorry if you are predictable. I am sorry if you were tracked. I absolutely love playing my S51 with the 203 because of all the meaty high tier heavies thinking they are invincible. Oof, there goes half your lowe's hitpoints. If there is a maus/T95 on the map I load my one AP shell for it (just to *really* piss it off). If a medium/light gets to me, so be it. My fault for being in a predictable location and not being concealed enough or ready to defend myself. I did have an A20 ram itself to death on me, that was funny.

Very few maps allow for your tank to be vulnerable to arty all the time. Hug walls, buildings, hills, rocks, whatever. Unless I am completely desperate I will not shoot at odd angles where only the single center dot will hit you and the rest of my targeting circle is nowhere near. If you are an idiot and sit still in a duel to the death, expect my shell to hit you.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
man i wish they had the 5x xp for the first battle of the day for the entire week! :)
That would be an interesting switch of things, 5x for first battle of each tank, not 2x on first win. Makes you play a bit better with those stars don't you think? Instead of just saying "ah screw it" when the game heads south knowing that you can still get the 2x later.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea the first win thing sucks, my kv-3 and panther II are cursed, takes me 5-7 matches before i win everyday, and it has nothing to do with me, just crappy teams for the most part. i can take out at least 2-4 tanks myself, but my team never takes many out so i end up losing, that's why i don't take into account w/l record in this game.

if your team blows,you lose period.

first battle of the day instead of first win, everyone would play hard and try to do as much damage/kill as many tanks as they can regardless of win/loss. which is how every battle should be. moral victory!

w0ss

Sep 4, 2003
Anyone else interested in playing a platoon? Would be nice to get a few guys to run a good pack.

NewSmithfield is my name if you want's to add me.