[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 91 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Arty isn't bad if you're on certain maps where you have arty shadow and tons of buildings. However, having 5 GW tiger type Es on campinova makes me want to kill myself if i'm in anything moving less than 60 kph.

Generally in my t-44, i'll wait a minute to see what sides are occupied and then make a straight dash towards the arty. Generally I will kill at least one if not spot all of them for our own arty to light up. I do think it's annoying when you're knife fighting with other tanks and an arty shot ruins your day, but i've been saved countless times by friendly arty that I ignore the occasional 900-1.5k damage hits. I got enough tanks to go around anyways.

Also can't view the link for world of battleships. Hope they have Japan in there as a big naval power! Really want to drive a yamato class battleship...

Oh I forget, they'll probably have "arty" ships out there as well in the form of aircraft carriers.... -_-

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Higher tier arty has a hell of a reload time, slow to aim (pivot plus aim time), and has to try to predict your movements.

Yeah, arty players always throw out that argument. I hate to break it to you, but arty just isn't that hard to play (I play a Hummel pretty regularly - I'm not just making things up). If arty players were forced to use 50% crews all the time, yeah, you'd have a point, and most of the complaints about arty wouldn't exist. But with 100% crew and mods for reload time and aiming time, arty just isn't that difficult, as evidenced by the fact that in many games arty leave with 3-5 kills each.

Reload time? Yeah, it's slow. Sounds terrible on paper. Until you stop and realize that one shot from high tier arty can knock off 75% of a Tier 10 heavy's health while doing 5-6 crits.

Aiming? Just isn't that hard. Most of the shots I miss in my Hummel are because the RNG just happened to place the shot at the outside of the circle.

Predicting movement? Hitting a moving tank with arty (other than lights or meds moving at top speed) is not that difficult. Yeah, on occasion a player will stop moving or turn just as you fire so your shot misses, but high tier heavies and TDs are so slow that they can't really do any effective evasion.

Very few maps allow for your tank to be vulnerable to arty all the time. Hug walls, buildings, hills, rocks, whatever.

That's exactly the problem. At high tiers, arty dominates the game so thoroughly that the main goal of most players is to hide from arty.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
You get 1 shell a minute (roughly) on higher tier arties. Hummel reloads fairly fast if I remember... maybe 3-4 shots a minute, similar to a 152mm. Don't remember it much, hated it in beta and never bought it back. All I remember is the GW panther's gun loads significantly slower than hummel's, same with the aim time.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
You get 1 shell a minute (roughly) on higher tier arties. Hummel reloads fairly fast if I remember... maybe 3-4 shots a minute, similar to a 152mm. Don't remember it much, hated it in beta and never bought it back. All I remember is the GW panther's gun loads significantly slower than hummel's, same with the aim time.

The slowest arty I can find in the Tankopedia has about a 40s reload, and of course a rammer trims 10% off of that.

Don't get me wrong. While I'd probably totally redesign arty if I could, I don't think the current mechanics are really overpowered. The real problem is numbers. If each match was limited to 1 or maybe 2 arty per side, it would fix most of my unhappiness. Instead, I'd say my Tier 8+ battles average at least 3-4 arty per team. Battles with 5 or even 6 arty per side are not at all unusual.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
(I play a Hummel pretty regularly - I'm not just making things up).
One of the fastest, most turret movement arty's out there. Try something with a hell of a narrow firing arc, slow to turn, horrible speed, and crappier refire rate.

Whatever, you have your opinion, I have mine.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
damn the upgrades for the e50 are expensive as hell, i got enuf free xp right now to get it but not to fully upgrade, i think i'll just grind until i have enuf to elite it right off the bat.

SergeC

May 7, 2005
The slowest arty I can find in the Tankopedia has about a 40s reload, and of course a rammer trims 10% off of that.

This is a common misconception. The rammer, 100% crew, vents (if available for the vehicle), and the 10% consumable like chocolate are all required to REACH the stated number. If you don't have them, you are well short of it in reality.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Finally got moved and summer is coming to an end. GFs son was introduced to the game and loves it. He is playing on my account getting me some great experience and money. But he will have his own account tonight and I appreciate the ability to platoon 2 people for free :)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I don't hate arty as much as I used to. In beta arty was omnipotent god like. They one-shotted everything at all tiers. Way over powered. Then they got toned way down to where they are now. Now its a simple love hate relationship. Love em when they are killing your opponents and hating them when they kill you. But the one shotting is no where near what it once was. And by one-shotting I mean taking a 100% healthy tank down to a dead hulk. Two weeks ago my Panther 2 was one-shotted by a GW Tiger. Surprised the hell out of me too because it had been a long while since that has happened to any of my tanks. I was miffed by it but I quickly got over it and moved on.

Truth be told I kind of feel sorry for arty players. They get more blame for losing a fight than any other tank player out there probably. Ever play a MMO where the healer of the group fails to heal his group mates fast enough, or at least his group mates perceive he didn't even though he was trying hard but couldn't overcome the damage being inflicted? And then gets blamed heavily and in a rather nasty vocal way? Thats kind of what I see happen to arty in battles in WoT. If the team loses the arty players get blamed a lot. And rather vocally. Granted some arty players don't do well overall but I'm smart enough to know even the best arty players have a off fight every now and then. Everyone is human.

I've always wanted to try some arty tanks but if I got to put up with the nasty comments that they do on a constant basis like they do then I want no part of it. Way too much hate. LOL

Seriously though, arty is no where near as bad as it used to be in beta. You think its bad now. Should have seen them then. They just looked at your tank and it was dead smoking metal hulk.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Truth be told I kind of feel sorry for arty players. They get more blame for losing a fight than any other tank player out there probably.

Actually I consider it a tie between Arty, top tier heavies, and lighter scouts/mediums taking the blame. Rarely are the TD's mentioned at all in the blame game.

The arty obviously are blind and can't support where the tanks suddenly demand (sorry, I was too busy firing at a group of 3 heavies that are parked).

The heavies are sniping instead of supporting, or alternately should have sniped instead of going in with guns blazing.

The lighter tanks fail to scout where somebody wanted to, or otherwise scouted too quickly/slowly to be any use for the supporters.

The only time TD's are mentioned is when a BL10 fails to have 10 kills.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Without arty every match would be a campfest. That would suck more than the occasional hit from arty. Its your own damned fault if you're getting hit a lot by arty.

I've only got a tier 4 arty (M7 Priest) that is fully upgraded with 105% crew, and the best I can do is take about 50-70% off a similar tier light tank. Against a +4 heavy, I'm only a minor annoyance. I run mainly tanks so I also know what its like to get nailed by arty. It is pretty awesome that the M7 can reach almost all the way across the map with the upgraded gun. Although, at that range the travel time is several seconds. Add that to the aiming time and the reload time and you have a VERY long time to move your ass out of my range/sight.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
This is a common misconception. The rammer, 100% crew, vents (if available for the vehicle), and the 10% consumable like chocolate are all required to REACH the stated number. If you don't have them, you are well short of it in reality.

Amen to that. Read this again if you have no idea how the reload speed works.

Without chocolates and vents (you heard me) your gun will NEVER reach the max firing rate.

40 seconds reload time is with vents, rammer, chocolates and a 100% crew. Don't got chocolates or vents? You got at least 50 seconds to a minute for reload times on a high tier arty.

cecco

Jan 27, 2005
Fired up the game today after a long absence. Hop in my Tiger II. Mountain Pass. An IS4 and I lead a successful push on the western pass, 3 kills each, I later earn sniper and steel wall. Unfortunately the 6 tanks defending base get overrun by the opposing team. As close on the flag, we start getting called retards for not having gone back to save them.

This stuff didn't used to bother me, but looks like it just finally worn me out. I would have felt much better getting one shotted by the object 212 30 seconds in the game than having to see this crap. I got a long list of games to play. I can do without this for the time being.

Sorry for the little rant, just felt like i needed to get this off my chest though.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea just ignore those idiots, i get yelled at all the time for not going back to base to defend in my kv-3. really? i can't make it back in time, and i'm a heavy pushing into the other base. not my fault you guys can't defend or split up choke points evenly. let's all go 1 route and leave the others undefended then bitch at teammates LOL

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yeah, this is the only multi player game, and it is a multi player despite them saying its an MMO, that I play. Reason why I don't play other multi player games is because most people are just mean and rude beyond belief. They'd never talk like that to my face in public or I'd be smashing faces. LOL. I find playing during the day the people are generally somewhat nicer crowd than the whiners and bitchers that frequent the game prime time and late at night. Basically you just got to tune it all out and ignore it though when it does happen. You'll go mad if you don't.

Haven't played too much last few days. Nice to take a break and do something else from time to time. Keeps the game from getting boring too. Played in my Tiger 2 today. Had some good fights. Lots of fun. Got the second turret for it too. Just need that final gun, the 10.5cm to make it bad ass. As bad ass as the KT can be anyway. Its a good decent tank overall. I think I'm going to push onto the E-75 and try it too. It seems to be a good strong tank despite its weak spots.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i will be going to german heavies soon, i want a tiger 2 cuz it looks so bad ass and streamlined :D

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Ignore the scrubs. All they do is rely on teammates to carry them through the game with their 0 kills and 2 tanks damaged. They don't take cover, they don't position themselves on the right side and drive like idiots. Not much you can do about it except maybe pop a round in their tank to end their misery sooner. :)

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

Interesting. I had always heard it was numbers for just 100% crew.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Personally, I think they just need to make the garage stats reflect the actual state of the tank. Not that hard.
This!

Well, I unlocked the Tiger II and the GW Panther and I have ~600k credits... so I will be grinding a bit before getting those. Which is fine because my IS is a credit making machine as is my S51 (obviously I don't have a Lowe or that would be the preferred method of getting credits). My Panther is decent with the made up 75 (it reminds me of the 57mm on the M7, poke poke poke and then I blow up).

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
this e50 grind is brutal
need tracks then i will just use free xp for the turret + gun

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Anyone tried E75? Ive unlocked it but dont have enough credits to buy one yet. Dont know if i should bother either, ive got an IS4 and its the first tank ive driven that is truly a wrecking machine.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Anyone tried E75? Ive unlocked it but dont have enough credits to buy one yet. Dont know if i should bother either, ive got an IS4 and its the first tank ive driven that is truly a wrecking machine.

I been working towards it myself. On the WoT forums they say its a generally good tank. It has the same fender weakness bug that the E-50 has however. Trick is to find a way to get into a position that hides the body of the tank and just have the turret exposed. Some critics are saying stop at the E-75 and don't bother with the E-100. I'll let you read those forums for yourself and draw your own opinions.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
There was some chat in a match today comparing them, and the general consensus seems to be that the E-75 has an edge on the IS-4. Probably just because it's still new (remember when everyone though the Lowe was supertank?). I definitely don't feel like it's inferior to the IS-4, at least when facing them. Personally I still have yet to find a reliable frontal penetration point on the E-75. Playing my T-29 earlier (fully upgraded with the 105) and put a point-blank shot into the lower glacis of an E-75... "that one bounced"... mud flaps, no good either so far.

That line will be the next heavy series that I go for, but it'll be a while. I want to get to the T-34 and hopefully T-30 in the US line before they change the US tech tree.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I found the mud flaps to be a good place to hit and do damage. Its not a 100% gurantee every time though. But 3/4 of the time it does the trick. As usual WargamingNet screwed the German lines with the nerfs in beta test 2. Other than 3002DB and the Tiger 2 I'm not overly impressed with German tanks in the upper half of the tiers in this game. Better to go Russian or American it seems. Russian if you want the best chances of winning.