Michael Bay ruins Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
My favorite part was Krypton. Everything after that was meh to me. Plus the destruction of Metropolis and millions of people dying yet he had to save a family.

The "How it should have ended" channel on youtube outlines mentions that destruction in a funny parody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjSNLmb0Ndw

Batman and Superman in the cafe talking about the villains.

Batman "Can you imagine if you had to fight all those guys on land?"

Superman "OMG, thousands of people might've died!"

Batman "Plus, billions dollars worth of property damages?"

Superman "I can't pay that kind of debt on a Daily Planet Salary..."

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
Because this is ATOT where everyone hates everything

If I were more talented, I would create a 300 like photo with an ATOT basement dweller kicking a hot chick into a bottomless pit and screaming, "Pointy elbows? THIS IS ATOT!!!"

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
As you'd expect, the movie is terrible. Don't waste your time and money. The first 20 minutes are painfully boring, and only worthwhile to see Megan Fox "be a bird". (If you remember those photos of the trampoline, you might have an idea what I mean....) The start of the movie is filled with a Fruit Ninja-like, two-minute-long exposition fest where Splinter explains everything about who Shredder is... the Foot Clan, etc. So, the majority of the movie is just good guys vs. bad guys.

I wonder if Bay did have his sticky fingers in this movie, because just like Transformers, the action is made so fast that you can't ever see what's going on. One thing that makes the action so crazy is how incredibly powerful the Ninja Turtles are in this movie. They've got super-human strength, which is the reason why Shredder becomes so ridiculous in the movie.

It also doesn't help that the trailers spoil everything. If you've seen the trailer,
then you know Fichter's character is aligned with Shredder. The thing is... in the beginning of the movie, he talks about being against the Foot Clan, which anyone that seen the trailer knows isn't true. So, there's absolutely no mystery in the movie.

Yes, they leave the movie open to a sequel, and no, there's nothing after the credits.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
As you'd expect, the movie is terrible. Don't waste your time and money. The first 20 minutes are painfully boring, and only worthwhile to see Megan Fox "be a bird". (If you remember those photos of the trampoline, you might have an idea what I mean....) The start of the movie is filled with a Fruit Ninja-like, two-minute-long exposition fest where Splinter explains everything about who Shredder is... the Foot Clan, etc. So, the majority of the movie is just good guys vs. bad guys.

I wonder if Bay did have his sticky fingers in this movie, because just like Transformers, the action is made so fast that you can't ever see what's going on. One thing that makes the action so crazy is how incredibly powerful the Ninja Turtles are in this movie. They've got super-human strength, which is the reason why Shredder becomes so ridiculous in the movie.

It also doesn't help that the trailers spoil everything. If you've seen the trailer,
then you know Fichter's character is aligned with Shredder. The thing is... in the beginning of the movie, he talks about being against the Foot Clan, which anyone that seen the trailer knows isn't true. So, there's absolutely no mystery in the movie.

Yes, they leave the movie open to a sequel, and no, there's nothing after the credits.

Yeah, everything I have read has been very negative on this one. Considering I could not even make through the original, no way am I watching this. :D

KT

mcurphy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2003
I had my 8yo son pick which movie he wanted to see most this weekend...Guardians, Apes, or Turtles...and he chose Turtles :(

These reviews are scaring me! I'll have to do my best to talk him into one of the other two better choices!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
If I can't find a good time for planet of the apes tonight I'm gonna see this

As I said in the other thread, don't. Just keep the idea alive that they could make another good, live action Ninja Turtles movie. This is about what the prequels were to Star Wars. D:

Yeah, everything I have read has been very negative on this one. Considering I could not even make through the original, no way am I watching this. :D

KT

I had a fairly eventful day yesterday, and I didn't get to read any of the reviews prior to seeing the movie. Although, I did see that it was at around 60% the other day, but I've seen other movies at that rating that weren't that bad. So, I figured it couldn't be terrible. Yeah, it was just bad. But, at least it was a reduced-price ticket, and I can warn everyone to not have their childhood ruined! Silver linings!!

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

KT

All the critics I've seen continue to compare it to the "original feel" of the cartoons, which were changed drastically from the actual original. the original turtles by Eastman and Laird were brutal, damn near super human strong (I remember one sequence where Leo kills like 30 or so Foot soldiers in the snow and another where they fight triceratops people in a gladiator style arena).

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I had a fairly eventful day yesterday, and I didn't get to read any of the reviews prior to seeing the movie. Although, I did see that it was at around 60% the other day, but I've seen other movies at that rating that weren't that bad. So, I figured it couldn't be terrible. Yeah, it was just bad. But, at least it was a reduced-price ticket, and I can warn everyone to not have their childhood ruined! Silver linings!!

Hey if you are going to see crap, at least it was cheap crap! ONly at 19% now, but 65% of the audience liking it, which is surprising.

All the critics I've seen continue to compare it to the "original feel" of the cartoons, which were changed drastically from the actual original. the original turtles by Eastman and Laird were brutal, damn near super human strong (I remember one sequence where Leo kills like 30 or so Foot soldiers in the snow and another where they fight triceratops people in a gladiator style arena).

Yeah I remember the comics, they were cool, but I actually loved the cartoon too, even though it wa obviously very different. For whatever reason I never saw the film back in the day and I tried to watch it recently, but it was pretty unbearable and I never made it past the twenty minute mark.

KT

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This might be one of those magical films were its existence is worthwhile, simply for the types of reviews it spawns.

:D

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Michael Bay is really good at making shit movies that entertain soup-for-brains people. Now a days to make a high profiting movie, all it needs is a hot chick/hot guy, loud booms and bangs and something a little supernatural. Why else would would this movie and movies like Transformers get crap reviews, but make tens of millions of dollars in profit??

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Meh, a rotten tomato isn't gonna keep me from watching it. Gonna go see it on Wednesday when the theater does all day half priced tickets. Wife wants to see it for Megan Fox, I want to see it because it's the freaking ninja turtles. The 2nd and 3rd movies weren't great either but I still saw them and then bought it on VHS cause it's the freaking ninja turtles!

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Hey if you are going to see crap, at least it was cheap crap! ONly at 19% now, but 65% of the audience liking it, which is surprising.

Yeah I remember the comics, they were cool, but I actually loved the cartoon too, even though it wa obviously very different. For whatever reason I never saw the film back in the day and I tried to watch it recently, but it was pretty unbearable and I never made it past the twenty minute mark.

KT

Don't get me wrong, I loved the cartoon and the movies, but the comic was where it all started for me. Eventually, I was old enough to understand why the mass appeal had to happen (comics aren't exactly for 8-10 year olds). The first two movies were pretty good, but the third... not so much. They are campy and silly, and made for kids, but they have a place in my childhood. And, Vanilla Ice and Ernie Reyes Jr had parts in the 2nd (technically Reyes was in the first as a stunt guy for turtles fight sequences and they liked him so much they created a part for him in the sequel).

I also take viewer ratings more serious than critics ratings, at least in terms of "should I give this a chance or not". So far, 65% of the people who saw this and decided to vote liked it (which is probably closer to 70%, when you account people are more likely to go and review something after a bad experience than a good one), which means I will see it.

But, then again, I'd see it even if was 1% viewer liked, simply because I like TMNT.

Michael Bay is really good at making shit movies that entertain soup-for-brains people. Now a days to make a high profiting movie, all it needs is a hot chick/hot guy, loud booms and bangs and something a little supernatural. Why else would would this movie and movies like Transformers get crap reviews, but make tens of millions of dollars in profit??

Because people realize not every movie has to be some deep, emotionally jarring, groundbreaking piece of art. I love all the people who can't understand this, and claim about how all these "bad movies" are popular. Yet, they damn sure aren't having Wagyu steak for dinner every night. They enjoy a quick and easy meal like McDonalds just as much as everyone else. They just fail to see that movies are the same.

Last edited:

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
People who pay to see this in the theater are part of the problem.

Unless you have an 8 year old, please, don't give Michael Bay your money.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Bay isn't nearly int he same league with those, and that's the point.

Bay isn't just mindless explosions--he shits out poorly edited action with excessive dolly shots during pointless exposition, which serve no discernible purpose.

He is downright horrible.

yes, there is a place for mindless action. Bay is fucking horrible at everything, though.

If you didn't have fun watching "The Rock" then you have no humor at all. That was entertainment and not just mindless action.