Mechwarrior Online (Previously MW5/MW3015)

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Let's just say I played a certain game pretty much all day yesterday. It was a blast.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I broke down and bought elite. I am so weak...now if only I would get an email from MWO....

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
My friend got into the beta yesterday, he was happy and lucky. He just bought the elite founders 2 days ago and filled out the beta app and got it.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
i got my shit wrecked by Awesomes last night. a couple blasts from the tripple PPC's to the CT of my Cat kicked my ass. Was too tired to play more than a couple rounds last night. Need to save up some moolah so i can run a dual guass K2 Cat.

cecco

Jan 27, 2005
Anyone that has played World of Tanks able to talk about similiarities and differences, good or bad between the two games? I've enjoyed WoT since closed beta but getting a little burned out on it now. It looks like this game is right up my alley. I havent's played a mech game since the 90s but it's hard to pass up on armored mechs with laserz and missles? ;)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm considering this game. Are the 'founder mechs' that good? Are they only available now, or after release? Which package makes sense, or play for free?

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I'm considering this game. Are the 'founder mechs' that good? Are they only available now, or after release? Which package makes sense, or play for free?

"Founder mechs" are normal mechs with some non-game features that give an advantage to the owner. They should be buyable/earnable once the game goes live to the public. Below are the benifits as I recall them.

Bonus money from using these mechs (25%) for life.
Mech does not use a basic slot (ie: can have more mechs in your garage without paying for extra slots).

Otherwise they are the same as far as I can tell (reading site).

While the mechs are available later / after closed beta, the founder packs will not be (ment to stop being offered before the open beta on the 7th August or there abouts. No date given.

Which package is hard to say. It depends on what you want from the game. It is free to play so it might not matter, or you could buy the mechs later individually (it is free to play after all so there will be a shop). As to costs later and what the "in game money" can buy or the going price of a mech after release or any of that information, the developers have released non, so it is just guess work by everyone.

Personally, I am hopeing it will be excellent, but then I am also a fan of the mechwarrior universe so pre-buying a pack is a non-issue to me.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001

The founder mechs are good.

The founder mechs have a special skin no one else can get for that mech, but that isn't the selling point of them. They give you a 25% bonus to in game currency earned each match (which is pretty damn good considering you need to repair your mech after each match and buy more ammo as well). They also don't take up any of your 4 garage spots and have their own (you will be able to buy more garage slots for real money). Last, they are the "prime" version of those mechs, you need to own the prime version of a mech to unlock its "variants" (same mech but with different hardpoints/equipment/armor so can be customized totally different and will play a lot different from one another).

So the founder mechs give you a 25% bonus to in game currency when you use them, they save you money by already unlocking that mechs variants, save you money by not having to worry about a garage spot for that mech, and they will have unique skins that are only for those founder mechs (though I don't care much about that part).

How much the mechs themselves cost (same mech just not with the founder bonus's) depends on the class. Light mechs cost like 3 million in game currency, all the way up to the big boys assault mechs that cost 11-12million. The only real idea how much real money this is worth is one of the devs said that the $80 of ingame currency you receive when you buy eliter/legendary equals out to 8-10 medium mechs (medium is the second class of mech, order of them is light, medium, heavy, assault)

You might be like, well I just want the prime mech and don't care about the variants, and that is all good, but as you play you earn exp for each mech as well as pilot exp. You spend this exp in a skill tree that gives you minor improvements but you can only get to the next tier or skills to unlock if you have at least 3 of that mechs type (say an Atlas prime and 2 variants of it) base skills unlocked with exp to go to the next level up to get better skills for the mech you do want the skills for. Make sense?

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Makes sense (and is the same as WoT generally), but to be clear the only thing you get by buying them now is a unique skin and the package discount.

You can get the 'founder mechs' later, including the 25% bonus.

So the name 'founder mech' doesn't mean 'only available to a player who buys them before launch', it is something about 'fundamental mech'.

OK, still a choice what to get...

One interesting thing, I've felt that it'd be nice to have some games be able to have big budgets and priced for even hundreds of dollars if they're worth it, but the games that finally seem able to do that - $60 seems like the cap for normal initial game pricing - are the 'free to play' games, like this $120 package offered (and even then there's a subscription after three months).

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Makes sense (and is the same as WoT generally), but to be clear the only thing you get by buying them now is a unique skin and the package discount.

You can get the 'founder mechs' later, including the 25% bonus.

So the name 'founder mech' doesn't mean 'only available to a player who buys them before launch', it is something about 'fundamental mech'.

OK, still a choice what to get...

One interesting thing, I've felt that it'd be nice to have some games be able to have big budgets and priced for even hundreds of dollars if they're worth it, but the games that finally seem able to do that - $60 seems like the cap for normal initial game pricing - are the 'free to play' games, like this $120 package offered (and even then there's a subscription after three months).

Actually, we have no idea if they will offer mechs with a 25% bonus (or any bonus for that matter) in the future. I'm sure they might, but they have said nothing and who knows how long or how much it will be either.

The subscription thing you mention is totally optional. What it gives you for the month you sub is a bonus to the amount of in game currency you own (I believe it was stated 50% and it would be like $10 a month), the founders mech bonus stacks with that bonus as well they stated.

Personally? I got the legendary after I broke it down, it was just a much better deal to me, $80 in game currency, 3 months of premium, and the 4 founders mechs (which afterwards I'm learning will be quite valuable from a time/money point of view playing).

If you know you only like piloting x class, then the elite would probably be better for you, me personally, I like to switch it up quite a bit.