Mechwarrior Online (Previously MW5/MW3015)

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
stupid crash to desktops. ... then a screen flicker, then im looking at my desktop.

Same, twice. Both times when firing I think, both on the "normal" temp map. no message, nothing :( - some reading of the beta forums needed I think.

GTX570 with i5, everything set to max

Though I also need to check to see if an issue in mechlab has been reported yet. Seems odd to still be present this close to open beta though.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I had the crash that went straight to desktop without anything else once last night when I was playing, was angry was about to finish off a Jenner too! Happened on Frozen City when I was firing large pulse lasers.

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Though I also need to check to see if an issue in mechlab has been reported yet. Seems odd to still be present this close to open beta though.

Closed beta is just for a controlled testing environment to find lots of bugs as they implement lots of core mechanics.

Open beta is once they have most of the core mechanics in and are just bug testing small random glitches, specific to maps or mechs mayhaps. Open beta is still by all means meant to be for finding bugs, though I think many people seem to be confused on that point with the amount of open beta's many MMO's now have.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Open beta will also allow them to test server problems and such. Throw a whole bunch of users onto the server and see how well it holds up. Ping and lag problems. Things like that. Server stress testing basically.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Closed beta is just for a controlled testing environment to find lots of bugs as they implement lots of core mechanics.

Depends on a person's take. Beta = testing.

Closed beta - focusing on issues at the game level
Open beta - focusing on load issues

I remember stumbling over an enoying bug in tribes in beta, did not worry about it as it occured too rarly. Come going official, still there, and for a month or two IIRC. The developers had moved to "release items to sell" mode and not bug fix by that stage (in my mind anyway).

But then I do accept a lot of bugs have been patched, just the beta clients have not been updated to reflect these changes (will be done at release?). But either way, I find it a issue and think it should be mentioned as being addressed on the forums somewhere, just need time to search/read, if I can get away from playing for a bit ;)

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
Same, twice. Both times when firing I think, both on the "normal" temp map. no message, nothing :( - some reading of the beta forums needed I think.

GTX570 with i5, everything set to max

huh... maybe its that map since that was the one i crashed on too

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
I had the crash that went straight to desktop without anything else once last night when I was playing, was angry was about to finish off a Jenner too! Happened on Frozen City when I was firing large pulse lasers.

hmmm... guess its not map related then.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Oh, what the hell. I've been a Battletech geek faaaar too long not to support this game. Preordered and DL'ing now...

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
ergh... if i like the game then i would buy a founders pack but i'm not willing to take a leap of faith based on my experience with WoT at release. so sick of unlock grind. Tribes is bad enough and I love that game.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
ergh... if i like the game then i would buy a founders pack but i'm not willing to take a leap of faith based on my experience with WoT at release. so sick of unlock grind. Tribes is bad enough and I love that game.

Each class of mech is going to cost more then the last lights are the cheapest (and the 2 different lights in the game so far have big difference in price), then you have medium, heavy, and the most expensive assault (which do cost a fair amount).

It is hard to really comment on the price of stuff and ingame money you earn right now since not everything is put in place and obviously being beta things probably will change. We do know that mechs will have to be repaired after a fight and if you use ammo based weapons then you will also need to restock your ammo. Currently, if you win a match you get double the ingame money then the loser. It has been said that they are going to balance it out to where if you lose, you will earn enough to be able to fully repair your mech and restock its ammo at least.

This is one of the reasons the founders mechs are really popular, when using that mech you earn 25% more ingame currency (c-bills) regardless. So a lot of people are already planning to use those mechs to grind out cash to buy other mechs/equipment.

At the very least, you could do the Veterans founders pack for $30, you'll get into the beta and can play it some and if you dig it, you can upgrade your founders pack to elite or legendary then.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
I like that there's some RPG elements to it, too.

Like you get XP / Loyality points.
XP goes into the mech (you can upg the frame) and the pilot (you character).

The LP will determine rank within a faction, which in turn effects your salary+small perks.
Lets say there's only one rank1 spot, whoever has most faction LP gets that title then.
So there will be people within factions competeing to earn LP and climb in ranks.

seems like a good system.

So not only might 2 of the same mech, have totally differnt layouts with (JJ/heatsinks/weapons/armor/engines) but also might have differnt skill tree paths for pilots, differnt upg paths for frames = variety = good.

Its also pretty simple, with the "roll" combat aspect (how u upg ur pilot)
-scout, -aggressor, -defender, -commander

I also like the idea of risk&reward, that if you play like a fool, and die alot, repair costs > what you earn => your forced to play one of the smaller mechs to earn back C-bill to pay for repairs/ammo ect.

So far likeing more or less everything I read up on the game.

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
Phenom 2 x2... cant remember the speed off the top of my head. And i hear 4 cores is far better... so i'll be budgeting for a new one. not that expensive. Already upped my ram to 8gigs, but that was dirt cheap.

in fact, my videocard is the only thing that hasnt been upgraded in 5 years.

Yep Quad cores are much better than dual for this game.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
Yep Quad cores are much better than dual for this game.

Yeah got that from reading their forums too. Also seems to be a consensus that AMD cards way to go atm.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Yeah got that from reading their forums too. Also seems to be a consensus that AMD cards way to go atm.

Actually from what I've seen/heard from others is ATI cards are having a lot more issues (if you didn't mean ATI by saying AMD cards sorry). Even if nvidia cards are having more issues (not that I'm aware of) I'm sure in the end they will probably work better since the game is being at least partially sponsored by nvidia hosting tournaments and other things for it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I wonder if 4 mechs are really worth the $60 premium over the medium 1 mech deal, and if one of the four stands out as the clear best if people get the 1 mech.

I'm guessing/forum seemed to suggest the main benefits of four are two things: variety, and having other mechs to play while one is waiting from battle.

This game sounds like it's really close to WoT in the design.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
There wont really be a best of those 4 since each one is a different class and fulfilling a different role. While the one that is the most expensive (Atlas) would seem like the best choice because it is the most expensive, may not be, if you don't enjoy piloting assaults as their role is very defined and they can't really do another one (not without sacrifices or possibly hurting your team), also if you are not good at piloting them and die a lot they are the most expensive to repair.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
So if just choosing one founders mech you think an Atlas or a Hunchback would be a better choice for farming? I can see a good argument for the Catapult as a farmer mech but that would be some very tedious farming.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
It really depends. When I first was going to go Elite, I picked the Atlas simply because it was the most expensive mech. Once I got into the beta, I actually found I don't like playing the assault class that much and prefer the other three quite a bit with heavy being my fav. So I upgraded to Legendary because the Jenner is fun and I am pretty decent at it, the Hunchback is solid mech, and the catapult is great for support. Don't get me wrong, the assault class is good, it just don't fit my play style most the time (I like doing mid/long range hit and runs and can still brawl up close, so I like to pack and punch and move quickly).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
if they program it accurately, there should be a significant difference between speed of something like the atlas and the heavies becoming even more pronounced at things like the jenner.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
The prime version of mechs base speeds (off the top of my head)
Jenner 113kph
Hunchback 60kph
Catapult 65kph
Atlas 45kph

The Catapult's speed I know is right, the others might be like 5kph off. Gives you an idea though. The hunchback is medium but it just happens to be a slow one (seen people throw larger engines in them and go like 85kph)