Mechwarrior Online (Previously MW5/MW3015)

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
The announcement went out Monday that Piranha Games is working on Mechwarrior Online, which is to be an online mech combat game, to be released Summer 2012. They built up to the info release using a drip-feed of image fragments on twitter over the past month.

Various useful information and links:
It's PC exclusive.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/new-mechwarrior-game-a-pc-exclusive/

It's free to play, online, first person, with an offset timeline. So, it's currently 2011, and it's 3048 in-game. When the game releases, in 2012, it will be 3049. This is right before the Clan invasion of the Inner Sphere. They will have some sort of persistent conquest mode, where everyone fights over territory, and it sounds like they'll use canonical Mechwarrior story events to drive events and changes in the game.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/meet-mechwarrior-online-piranhas-free-to-play-tactical-mech-sim/
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/m...e-details-explain-how-mwo-evolves-the-series/

They explain how the game actually came to be, from licensing issues, to publishers not wanting to pick up the property, and so on.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/e...bout-the-rocky-road-to-rebooting-mechwarrior/
http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/10/2-dev-blog-0

Game site and FAQ. You can currently reserve pilot names so other people can't steal them. I've already seen people registering famous names out of the lore, which I'm somewhat surprised to see being allowed.
http://mwomercs.com/
http://mwomercs.com/support#faq

And because threads are useless without pics, here's some concept art for the Atlas, the Hunchback, and the Jenner:
MechWarrior-Online-Atlas-Concept.jpg

MechWarrior-Online-Hunchback-Concept.jpg

MechWarrior-Online-Jenner-Concept.jpg

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
For anyone who is afraid that this will be turn out to be some sort of "MMO": Mechwarrior Online will probably be an MMO the same way that World of Tanks is an MMO. Just a thought.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I think its stupid to let people who havent' purchased the game to reserve a pilot name.

akahoovy

Golden Member
May 1, 2011
I would love to play a game like this. Mech outfitting is a favorite past-time I picked up from playing Mech Commander.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
It's supposed to be free to play, so you won't be able to purchase the game.

What? WTF? How are they making money?

Going to actually read up on this now. I thought the pilot name thing was just the online version of the game.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
What? WTF? How are they making money?

Going to actually read up on this now. I thought the pilot name thing was just the online version of the game.

Well, yes... the online version of the game is the only version of the game. Hence the name "Mechwarrior Online".

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It could be good, I'll keep an eye on it. I still remember playing Mechwarrior 3050 on my SNES, and Mechwarrior 3 I believe back sometime in 2000 or so, it was and to this day still is the only Mechwarrior game I've played on the PC specifically. If Mechwarrior Online is similar to how World of Tanks plays then I'll surely like it.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
Oh gawd I hope they haven't changed to cell shaded graphics like those "logo shots" show. They look fucking hideous.

The shots I linked above? They should be concept art. I think it would be very odd for Mechwarrior to go cell shaded.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
So, where's the money coming from? What extras will need to be bought?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I reserved name, will play for sure. I would literally kill someone to play a new mech game.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I'm dubious.

Too early to decide. Reserved my name. WAH!

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Does anyone hav a mech list other than the three mentioned on the official site?

I would love to have some of the old classics like the Archer, Rifleman, Shadow Hawk.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I thought there was IP issues with a lot of the battletech mechs, like rifleman, jenner, etc?

In any case I eagerly anticipate. It's been too long since we had a mechwarrior game.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
im interested to see how battles will work. its completely urban fighting. how will that play out for the LRM boats. And i really wish they would impliment physical attacks. The battlefists on the hunchback are there for a reason damnit!

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I thought there was IP issues with a lot of the battletech mechs, like rifleman, jenner, etc?

In any case I eagerly anticipate. It's been too long since we had a mechwarrior game.

There is, but the list is Locust, Locust IIC, Corsair, Samurai, Sparrowhawk, Galleon, Leopard, Stinger, Wasp, Super Wasp, Valkyrie, Phoenix Hawk, Phoenix Hawk IIC, Crusader, Falcon, Firebee, Hornet, Ostroc, Ostrol, Ostscout, Behemoth, Archer, Warhammer, Warhammer IIC, Rifleman, Rifleman IIC, Longbow, Marauder, Marauder II, Marauder IIC, Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk IIC, Griffin, Griffin IIC, Scorpion, Wolverine, Thunderbolt, Goliath, Battlemaster, Battlemaster IIC, Conjurer/Hellhound, Glass Spider/Galahad, Howler/Baboon, Bane/Kraken, Vapor Eagle/Goshawk, Black Python/Viper, Stone Rhino/Behemoth, Incubus/Vixen, Raijin, Grand Crusader, and Nexus.

Some on that list have become "reseen", Locust, Locust IIC, Grifin, Griffin IIC, Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk IIC, Thunderbolt, Scorpion, Wolverine, Battlemaster, and Battlemaster IIC, as they were able to license and/or settle and kept use of the IP.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
There is, but the list is Locust, Locust IIC, Corsair, Samurai, Sparrowhawk, Galleon, Leopard, Stinger, Wasp, Super Wasp, Valkyrie, Phoenix Hawk, Phoenix Hawk IIC, Crusader, Falcon, Firebee, Hornet, Ostroc, Ostrol, Ostscout, Behemoth, Archer, Warhammer, Warhammer IIC, Rifleman, Rifleman IIC, Longbow, Marauder, Marauder II, Marauder IIC, Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk IIC, Griffin, Griffin IIC, Scorpion, Wolverine, Thunderbolt, Goliath, Battlemaster, Battlemaster IIC, Conjurer/Hellhound, Glass Spider/Galahad, Howler/Baboon, Bane/Kraken, Vapor Eagle/Goshawk, Black Python/Viper, Stone Rhino/Behemoth, Incubus/Vixen, Raijin, Grand Crusader, and Nexus.

Some on that list have become "reseen", Locust, Locust IIC, Grifin, Griffin IIC, Shadow Hawk, Shadow Hawk IIC, Thunderbolt, Scorpion, Wolverine, Battlemaster, and Battlemaster IIC, as they were able to license and/or settle and kept use of the IP.

Sorry I'm not too clear on the whole story though. Do they not allow you to use the mech in any way shape or form? What's "reseen"?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm dubious.

Too early to decide. Reserved my name. WAH!

What do you think, Elcs? They going to do it like WoT does? If so I'd be interested in it.

Edit: Reserved name just in case

Last edited:

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
Sorry I'm not too clear on the whole story though. Do they not allow you to use the mech in any way shape or form? What's "reseen"?

A lot of the original Battlemech designs, that is how they appear physically, were taken from Japanese anime. To use mech models that look anything like those designs in this game they need a licence from whoever holds the copyright on them. Otherwise Mechwarrior Online is presumbly free to use any of the Battletech mech names and in-game stats.

So you may see with mechs with familar names and roles, but look different from what you're used to.

Note that FASA had to change the appearance of a number of mechs in the pen and paper game because they lost the licence and/or never had permission to use the design in the first place. From the sounds of things some mechs may end up looking different because they'll revert to the original anime designs because the company behind Mechwarrior Online has an obtained licence them for their game. This I think is what Fallen Kell ment by "reseen".

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
What do you think, Elcs? They going to do it like WoT does? If so I'd be interested in it.

Edit: Reserved name just in case

It could be a fustercluck if they do it WoT style.

I'm extremely concerned that they're just going to make a very very poor game, however I reserve judgement until I see *real* trailers and get in and play.

The original Mechwarrior Reboot trailer was absolutely gorgeous and if the graphics are like that, I'll probably like it even if it's crap.