Mechwarrior Online (Previously MW5/MW3015)

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Don't really like the awesome. Would prefer a warhammer or marauder, or perhaps even something like an orion butt may be misremembering the stats for it.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I am pretty sure they can't think use the Warhammer, because they stole it from some japanese show. It limits the Original Mechs they have available, because they stole a bunch of the designs.

It surprises me that some of the variants have ER lasers and pulse lasers, as I thought those designs were reverse engineered from Clan mechs.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Congrats to those who applied for Beta and got accepted, 1000 invitations were just sent out.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
*checks email*
*checks MWO account*

ForeverPending.png

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Yeah, pending here as well. I only opted for Veteran's founder package because I don't care for Founder's mechs.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I am pretty sure they can't think use the Warhammer, because they stole it from some japanese show. It limits the Original Mechs they have available, because they stole a bunch of the designs.

It surprises me that some of the variants have ER lasers and pulse lasers, as I thought those designs were reverse engineered from Clan mechs.

No, IIRC a Star League cache of weapons was discovered prior to the Clan invasion which allowed some technological improvements such as the ER Large Laser, etc.

Remember, hundreds of years prior the Inner Sphere had more advanced technology, but after so many wars and attacks on research and manufacturing many technologies were lost.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
No, IIRC a Star League cache of weapons was discovered prior to the Clan invasion which allowed some technological improvements such as the ER Large Laser, etc.

Remember, hundreds of years prior the Inner Sphere had more advanced technology, but after so many wars and attacks on research and manufacturing many technologies were lost.

The IS discovered some Core of some sort which contained "Lostech" (Advanced technology that they had several hundreds of years previously but lost due to near constant warfare.

The Clans had this "Lostech" when Kerensky left the Inner Sphere with the Star League. They had several hundreds of years to improve upon it and this Clan technology was superior to Lostech, the best the IS had to offer at the time.

(My post was to back up what child of wonder has said and provide further depth in some areas to the best of my own knowledge, not to contradict or suggest their post was incorrect)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
and don't forget that comstar had a lot of this lostech as combat ready mechs too, just had not advanced theirs as the clans had done.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Started looking for my sidewinder the other day. Will have to dive into the computer closet this weekend.

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
i wish i still had my sidewinder joystick. It was killed years back when i plugged my computer back in and it was plugged into the usb slot. spark jumped from the plug to the power supply and the joystick never worked again. :(

it was fantastic for MW4.

on a side note, i rearranged the family room to my wifes specifications, and now the 46" TV is mounted on a swivel arm on the wall right next to my computer desk. I just so happened to have a DVI to HDMI cable laying around. It is glorious!! Now i just need to fix the overscan problem... and a new videocard. my 9600GT was having trouble with Diablo 3 at 1920x1080. $75 saved towards it! couple more months...

Last edited:

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Another 1000 just sent out (may even still be sending).

Of course, I'm still pending.

I did go ahead and join the Black Widow Company - good, organized company made up of about half .mil and former .mil, half civvies, no idiots allowed.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Anyone know what the recomended joystick is for this game?

Probably too early to tell. The game is evolving still. Plus you have to factor in personal preferences. Take someone like myself who would prefer something simple and not too complicated (yeah, I know, dumbed down) compared to someone else who loves lots of buttons and/or different key binding (not sure if that is the correct word to use) and flexibility.