McDonalds answer to $15/hr min wages

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Because a lot of them don't listen to the customers needs but try to push the product and service that they deem to be most profitable and don't want to know you after the sale when there are issues.

New and used car salesmen are known for this

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...n_car_salesman_least_trusted_professions.html
Here was the question's exact wording: "Please tell me how you would rate the honesty and ethical standards of people in these different fields—very high, high, average, low or very low? How about—[RANDOM ORDER]"

1354554833373.png.CROP.original-original.png

I would never push my children to be a professional liar, I mean salesperson.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I would never push my children to be a professional liar, I mean salesperson.

I remember what a national sales rep told me one night, He said:

"You know you're a good salesman, when you can tell someone to go to hell and make them look forward to it."

Pretty much what politicians try to do everyday.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
If you think Apple (for example) is going to build a factory here and abandon China, then I've got a bridge to sell you.

Edit: Though I think you already bought a bridge from Trump...

Peter Schiff did an interesting takedown of Trump's ideas. Things like import tariffs and protectionism don't work if the jobs have already left. Companies are not going to build a factory in America just because some law makes it cost effective. What happens when the next administration decides to scrap that law and let the "free market" function again? Does that company take a huge loss when they can no longer compete with foreign products?

If the factory already exists in America, tariffs might keep the company in America longer. If not, the tariffs will do nothing but cause inflation. People will consume fewer goods because the cost has risen.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Maybe we shouldn't have let them ditch the country while using tax payer money in some cases to facilitate the costs in the first place then.

Nov 25, 2013
slave wages. that term cracks me up.

I will say that when i worked fast food the pay was fine for me and everyone that i knew working in it. During hte day were college kids/retired people. evenings were high school kids.

i rarely recall seeing a 30+ yr old working at mcdonalds.

"The classic image of the high-school student flipping Big Macs after class is sorely out of date. Because of lingering unemployment and a relative abundance of fast-food jobs, older workers are increasingly entering the industry. These days, according to the National Employment Law Project, the average age of fast-food workers is 29. Forty percent are 25 or older; 31 percent have at least attempted college; more than 26 percent are parents raising children. Union organizers say that one-third to one-half of them have more than one job — like Mr. Shoy, who is 58 and supports a wife and children."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/n...increasingly-entering-fast-food-industry.html

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
"The classic image of the high-school student flipping Big Macs after class is sorely out of date. Because of lingering unemployment and a relative abundance of fast-food jobs, older workers are increasingly entering the industry. These days, according to the National Employment Law Project, the average age of fast-food workers is 29. Forty percent are 25 or older; 31 percent have at least attempted college; more than 26 percent are parents raising children. Union organizers say that one-third to one-half of them have more than one job — like Mr. Shoy, who is 58 and supports a wife and children."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/n...increasingly-entering-fast-food-industry.html

That's the exact problem - minimum wage jobs aren't meant for people to raise families on.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
And nobody knows that better than the people who have no choice other than to try and do so.

then they should probably you know, not have kids or get a non-minimum wage job (or 2nd/3rd/4th minimum wage jobs and 2nd/3rd/4th roommates).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
And nobody knows that better than the people who have no choice other than to try and do so.

agreed. But then they also need to look back at what choices they made that lead them to having a McDonalds job at 30 and trying to support 3 kids.

It's something i see and read far to often.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
Exactly. The people who make good decisions early in life are going to have a much better chance of being successful later in their life.
Just talk to the people who are poor and you will see that it wasn't the govt that kept them down but their bad decisions.
For the people who want to change their lives for the better it can still be changed but it's not going to happen overnight. And depending on how long it took you to dig that hole it's going going to take some time to get out of it.

You don't just become 150lbs overweight. It took years to get to that point. And it's not coming off overnight either.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
agreed. But then they also need to look back at what choices they made that lead them to having a McDonalds job at 30 and trying to support 3 kids.

It's something i see and read far to often.

Which is great and all, but they still have to feed, cloth, educate, and otherwise take care of their kids.

And it ain't always due to poor choice that people are burdened with kids. Good example would be women who became pregnant through rape. Or what if the kid's parents died, and you were the one in line ta take 'em?

The whole "If your job is minimum wage, just get a better payin' one!" argument is short-sighted, and lazy on the part of the speaker. I'd wager that such a view ain't held by someone working on minimum wage, whilst in a bad spot in life.

'Tis the sorta view I'd expect a well-off lad ta hold.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
Peter Schiff did an interesting takedown of Trump's ideas. Things like import tariffs and protectionism don't work if the jobs have already left. Companies are not going to build a factory in America just because some law makes it cost effective. What happens when the next administration decides to scrap that law and let the "free market" function again? Does that company take a huge loss when they can no longer compete with foreign products?

If the factory already exists in America, tariffs might keep the company in America longer. If not, the tariffs will do nothing but cause inflation. People will consume fewer goods because the cost has risen.

All that lingo is the talk of the establishment politicians.

Nov 25, 2013
Yep nothing but poor choices and laziness:

"Midway through the last game of the 2013 Carolina League season, after he’d swept peanut shells and mopped soda off the concourse, Ed Green lumbered upstairs to the box seats to dump the garbage. Green was already 12 hours into his workday. He rose at dawn to lay tar on the highway. As the sun sank, he switched uniforms and drove to BB&T Ballpark, where he runs the custodial crew for a minor-league baseball team."

"Green once held a middle-class job. Now, to make enough money to send his children to college, he works the equivalent of two full-time jobs: one maintaining highways for the state of North Carolina and one ushering fans and collecting trash for a variety of sports teams around Winston-Salem.

The American economy has stopped delivering the broadly shared prosperity that the nation grew accustomed to after World War II. The explanation for why that is begins with the millions of middle-class jobs that vanished over the past 25 years, and with what happened to the men and women who once held those jobs.

Millions of Americans are working harder than ever just to keep from falling behind; Green is one of them. Those workers have been devalued in the eyes of the economy, pushed into jobs that pay them much less than the ones they once had.

Today, a shrinking share of Americans are working middle-class jobs, and collectively, they earn less of the nation’s income than they used to. In 1981, according to the Pew Research Center, 59 percent of American adults were classified as “middle income” — which means their household income was between two-thirds and double the nation’s median income. By 2011, it was down to 51 percent. In that time, the “middle” group’s share of the national income pie fell from 60 percent to 45 percent."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/business/2014/12/14/the-devalued-american-worker/

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/news/economy/america-part-time-jobs-poverty/

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
then they should probably you know, not have kids or get a non-minimum wage job (or 2nd/3rd/4th minimum wage jobs and 2nd/3rd/4th roommates).

So people should just go back in time and not have kids? Or risk getting evicted for subletting? Or are you just that fucking stupid? I'm going with you being stupid to be honest.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
So people should just go back in time and not have kids? Or risk getting evicted for subletting? Or are you just that fucking stupid? I'm going with you being stupid to be honest.

if they've already fucked up, guess they gotta pay the price in the form of 4 minimum wage jobs and 3 roommates in order to pay for the 3 kids they couldn't afford in the first place.

once again, poor decision making on their part.

re: roommates, there are many SFH's out there that supporting multiple families. Ref: many immigrant communities

Last edited: