Marvel Heroes, F2P "Diablo-like" game... **Official Thread**

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
I'll probably just save up splinters until I get bored with leveling these 2 characters (not sure if I'll ever play Captain) for one more hero that I want, or just keep doing the random box. That's not a bad deal, really.

It's hard to find a better tank than CA. High defense, and can lay the damage down pretty well. His shield throw that bounces through multiple targets, at end game with just vanilla artifacts to boost some crit, and base damage, it can brutal strike as high as 102k damage.

And choose whatever your favorite 1 or 2 melee attacks are and boost those up, and he can take bosses down pretty well too.

Plus he shares his auras with everyone around him, and some other really useful stuff.

Compared to hulks jumpy, slammy, make noise fighting style, it does seem less "fun". But when I want to stay alive and kill stuff, CA is the tank type I fall back on, well outside of Dead Pool.

Like I mentioned in previous messages, DeadPool is really hard to beat for a solid take a beating and kill stuff toon.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Captain America is actually one of the better ones. Jean Grey is pretty good as well.

Dead Pool is one of the most solid end game survival ones out there, if you spec his melee/defense builds.

Though for overall badassedness, Storm can literally clean the whole screen up in a few seconds. Endgame specced for crit, and blessed for boss damage, she is really a force of nature.

Yeah, they got me there, I invested a few hundred G's in storage space.

@zinfamous I saw you on the night before last, hanging out in Hells Kitchen, then switching back to midtown. You didn't respond to a couple whispers, but there's always more chances.

And new event this weekend:
Redeem Mystery Code: BOUNTY

Oh sorry, I was probably AFK. I do that a lot. Or, I just didn't realize I was being whispered.

I almost picked Storm to start, but I assumed I would have to listen to her banter all the time--the 90's+ personality they gave her in the cartoon and after really annoys me. I just didn't want to have to deal with that. Plus, I knew I would be picking up Jean Grey soon, and I figured they would be too similar in style.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
For a first playthrough I'm finding the auto-grouping in story parts is more annoying than helpful since I want to see and beat the bosses, not have someone enter ahead of me and clear them before I get there. I wish there was a setting to disable the auto-grouping.

I decided I liked the game enough to buy Iron Man and his classic costume, since he was my favorite Marvel character as a kid.

I'm Davefenestrator, but I probably won't notice anyone in chat since I'm usually ignoring it :(

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
There is a setting to do that in I believe the game play settings area.

I set it so long ago and forgot about it, so i can't give exact directions right now. But it's there.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
Oh sorry, I was probably AFK. I do that a lot. Or, I just didn't realize I was being whispered.

I almost picked Storm to start, but I assumed I would have to listen to her banter all the time--the 90's+ personality they gave her in the cartoon and after really annoys me. I just didn't want to have to deal with that. Plus, I knew I would be picking up Jean Grey soon, and I figured they would be too similar in style.

They've actually done a great job of making almost every character different in play style.

Jean and Storm play almost nothing alike. They are both "ranged damage doers", but that's about the only thing they have in common. How they each do that damage is refreshingly different.

And yep, you whispered me last night and I hadn't noticed it for a bit. Finally met up and dumped a bit of artifacts on you.

It's good to have room in the vault again.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
There is a setting to do that in I believe the game play settings area.

I set it so long ago and forgot about it, so i can't give exact directions right now. But it's there.

Oh good to know, I find this super annoying as well. It has broken a few missions for me.

They've actually done a great job of making almost every character different in play style.

Jean and Storm play almost nothing alike. They are both "ranged damage doers", but that's about the only thing they have in common. How they each do that damage is refreshingly different.

And yep, you whispered me last night and I hadn't noticed it for a bit. Finally met up and dumped a bit of artifacts on you.

It's good to have room in the vault again.

well, happy to help! I know I get to a point in games where quality of item doesn't matter and it's value negatively correlates with the bank slots they are clogging.

I'm always perfectly happy to be a dumpster again :D

So Storm isn't the "camp on mobs, spam ground target or burst AoE" style that I have been doing with Jean?

Last edited:

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
Oh good to know, I find this super annoying as well. It has broken a few missions for me.

well, happy to help! I know I get to a point in games where quality of item doesn't matter and it's value negatively correlates with the bank slots they are clogging.

I'm always perfectly happy to be a dumpster again :D

So Storm isn't the "camp on mobs, spam ground target or burst AoE" style that I have been doing with Jean?

Nope, she is the create storms around you and always stay moving. Against a boss, you can sit in place and spam a single attack, but her AE lightning storm that hits up to 16X a second, while you fly around, and keep moving, to me seems to do just as good a job.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So are the choices I'm making with skills as I level permanent? I'd hate to think I'm messing up my character because I have no clue what I'm doing first time through.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
So are the choices I'm making with skills as I level permanent? I'd hate to think I'm messing up my character because I have no clue what I'm doing first time through.

You get at least 1 "retcon device" as a quest reward leveling up that will let you respec. You can buy more, I don't know the price.

This might help:
http://forums.marvelheroes.com/disc...kmaster-melee-and-ranged-live-4-4-2014#latest

And this too:
http://forums.marvelheroes.com/disc...t-runs-prestige-vendor-storymode-guide-etc/p1

I'd take the spec guide with a grain of salt, since the builds match that person's play style.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

if you play through story, you will get 2x Retcon Devices per character, I believe. They can also be purchased for splinters or the other blue drop thingies (that vendor in X-mansion next to the terminals).

So, it's at least 2 free resets per character, I think.

I think it's safe to put at least 1 point in every skill, see which ones you like, and save up a pile of points. Then start buffing the ones you find yourself using a lot?

A lot of the passives seem to be of the diminishing returns variety, so take a look at what you get per level to see if it's worth spending a point for those. I've read that most of those are good with just one point at level 60--but I've only looked at 2 characters so far.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
New weekend event is all about the Midtown Madness.

Redeem Mystery Code: MIDTOWN
(EXPIRES AT 12:00 PM PDT 5/19/2014)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
so i've managed enough splinters at this point to purchase 3 random hero boxes.

Now, I want Nightcrawler or Iron Man or Deadpool for now, but the gambler in me is strong. Spent the damn splinters on 3 boxes and got 3 other starter heroes that I really don't want (Captain A, Black Panther, and fucking Hawkeye). goddamn Hawkeye.

I know some of these are pretty powerful, but I don't see this as a kite game (From what I've read of Hawkeye for his overall play). I'm liking BP more, but...dang. gambling :(

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
so i've managed enough splinters at this point to purchase 3 random hero boxes.

Now, I want Nightcrawler or Iron Man or Deadpool for now, but the gambler in me is strong. Spent the damn splinters on 3 boxes and got 3 other starter heroes that I really don't want (Captain A, Black Panther, and fucking Hawkeye). goddamn Hawkeye.

I know some of these are pretty powerful, but I don't see this as a kite game (From what I've read of Hawkeye for his overall play). I'm liking BP more, but...dang. gambling :(

Hawkeye... Starktech Claymore.... just saying.

Yes, he is the kite game. All I do is run around spamming teargas arrow and electric arrow as mobs chase me and run through it, falling dead. It's sad. I know there's more. He's super-squishy against bosses too.

Black Panther is supposedly really fun though.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm at 151 splinters now. I'm only level 15 though. Is there another place you get 100 like I got early in the game?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Hawkeye... Starktech Claymore.... just saying.

Yes, he is the kite game. All I do is run around spamming teargas arrow and electric arrow as mobs chase me and run through it, falling dead. It's sad. I know there's more. He's super-squishy against bosses too.

Black Panther is supposedly really fun though.

yeah, black panther was boring me the first 4 levels--yes, I know...totally unfair. :D But his basic and first 2 or so mele skills, I didn't like their speed and function.

Then I watched some dude's video doing Cosmic Kurse run. Looks pretty solid.

Still, I've got him up to level 13 or so doing holo, and he's still really slow compared to Black Widow at the same stage.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm at 151 splinters now. I'm only level 15 though. Is there another place you get 100 like I got early in the game?

yeah, beat Doom your first way through and you get another 100. Only once per account, though, those 200 free splinters.

If you want to farm splinters, it seems that Midtown is the best. pretty consistent.

TheNewGuy

Feb 16, 2001
Ok, I'm an idiot- when I try to log into the game, it says I have an incorrect pw or username, but when I go to the website, the pw is correct, and the username shows up the same. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong (this is during the first time setup).

Dave

**still an idiot, but figured it out: the username is email address**

Last edited:

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Having enough fun with this to pay 9.99 to buy some stash space. This midtown madness event is crazy. Roll into midtown and tons of heroes converge on the bosses. Chaos everywhere!

I'm Volitan in game BTW.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Having enough fun with this to pay 9.99 to buy some stash space. This midtown madness event is crazy. Roll into midtown and tons of heroes converge on the bosses. Chaos everywhere!

I'm Volitan in game BTW.

That's pretty much what I did, any why I started this thread other than I realized that Marvel Heroes had pretty much no attention in PCG since release - though rightfully so since its release kinda sucked.

My difference was I dropped $20 and also bought a few heroes during the BOGO event as well. But my main intention was to buy STASH space, since there's no other way to get it.

I am actually really happy with the game. Yes, it's repetitive, but no more so than Diablo 2 was once you got to Nightmare mode and just started farming up Baal repeatedly for drops. The difference here is that Gazillion runs different events every couple weeks (again arguably the same thing just in different clothes, but still) which keeps giving you things to do. And the addition of the One-Shots is very welcome as well.

As much entertainment as I've gotten out of the game, in my opinion, it's definitely worth however much you're willing to put into it... be it $10, $20, $50, etc. It's kind of like paying for a Humble-Bundle in that respect, and I really don't feel like I'm getting cheated by a pay-to-win system either, because they monetized the game brilliantly, and there's truly nothing to buy that makes it "pay-to-win". It's kind of a nice problem to have.

JTDSR

Mar 16, 2012
How is this game in terms of itemization? Is it like a D2/3 where you can find items but with varying stats? Making some more valuable than others? Or are there cookie cutter items only? I am trying to decide whether to just play this, or buy D3 again with the expansion and start over.

Last edited: