Jun 15, 2009
So I finally got an ssd drive. I got an M.2 500gb Samsung 970 EVO.
I installed all the drivers (don't know the name off the top of my head) and migrated with the Samsung utility rebooted but it booted into the old hard drive. I rebooted and pressed f8 and launched into my ssd. I got a blue screen and rebooted and now everything went to sht.
I can't boot into either of my drives the bios (Asus uefi utility) won't detect my ssd. It shows. My other two drives and CD drives but not the m.2 I've tried to do the manual m.2 detection and try default setting but nothing works. One time I was able to reboot and somehow it detected my m.2 I was able to log into windows which does detect the drive and it works amazingly. When I went back to the bios it's gone and I can't boot up again. Any pointers, suggestions? It's driving me nuts

Jun 15, 2009
Been tinkering and just realize how I can get it on the boot menu but not in the bios I don't know how to explain it. I go into ez set up and click on the optimize option and after it reboots I go back to bios and it'll show me I can manually boot into ssd but not give me the choice of making it the default boot drive, if that makes sense. So I just got back to windows but if I restart I will have to redo the whole process

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Make sure you are running the latest BIOS version and see if that helps.

From your description, it sounds like you have an Asus motherboard, and their BIOS can be a little tricky if you're not used to where stuff is.

Reactions: ImmortalSoldier
Jun 15, 2009
Make sure you are running the latest BIOS version and see if that helps.

From your description, it sounds like you have an Asus motherboard, and their BIOS can be a little tricky if you're not used to where stuff is.
You were right. The app they have is useless for updates. I had to go in and find a new one at their website. However, for some reason it just never POSTED and after multiple fails I was able to go back into the BIOS. It showed no drives a couple of times til I reverted back to defaults, and finally it was able to recognize the M.2 drive. Of course now it won't detect my other drives, but as long as it boots into this drive, I can get into the rest of them.

Thanks for your advice.

May 11, 2008
You were right. The app they have is useless for updates. I had to go in and find a new one at their website. However, for some reason it just never POSTED and after multiple fails I was able to go back into the BIOS. It showed no drives a couple of times til I reverted back to defaults, and finally it was able to recognize the M.2 drive. Of course now it won't detect my other drives, but as long as it boots into this drive, I can get into the rest of them.

Thanks for your advice.

Sometimes it helps to clear your cmos ram after a bios update when the system is acting weird.
You will have to check all bios settings again but it is an option.

Reactions: ImmortalSoldier
Jun 15, 2009
Sometimes it helps to clear your cmos ram after a bios update when the system is acting weird.
You will have to check all bios settings again but it is an option.
Ok sounds like I might have to try it since nothing was poping. Checking the bios settings won't be a big deal. Getting to the actual case its the bigger pain. If it doesn't reboot properly next time. I will give that a shot.

May 11, 2008
Ok sounds like I might have to try it since nothing was poping. Checking the bios settings won't be a big deal. Getting to the actual case its the bigger pain. If it doesn't reboot properly next time. I will give that a shot.

I hope it solves the issue.
Before you clear the cmos, completely power down the pc and disconnect the mains power cable to be sure before you do an cmos clear..
This way, you make sure the 5V standby is also not present.