Lost $1500 worth of software because I lost a stupid usb key

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
As I've said before, from their perspective the key IS the value, NOT the software.
It's their software, they make the rules. Do their rules suck? Yes they do!
Do you have to abide by them if you want to use their software? Yes, you do.
Will they go out of business because of these practices? Probably not, but hopefully people can make enough of a stir to change their practices.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: GuideBot
If the company is stupid for instituting such policies, what does it say about those who agree to those polices, lose their dongle, then cry when they're surprised that the company doesn't break their policy just for them?
Learn2Read:
Originally posted by: CitizenDoug

Yeah, but what gets me is that I had no clue it was so valuable. They didn't even make that obvious or clear in the manual or setup process. If I knew it was irreplaceable there is no way I would have lost it.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
You'd tend to think that, if a company has been through this before with other customers, they'd make it a point to make sure you know. I bet it's there in the documentation somewhere. I'm sure they state it in black and white somewhere during the purchase or in the supporting documentation. :)

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: Canai
Why didn't you make a backup?
How does one create a backup of a USB device? Does your PC have a replicator built into it?

There are dongles, sans license, on sale on ebay. backup license to computer, copy back to new dongle?

Or are the dongles tied into specific licenses?

if its done the same way as rockwell software, the dongle creates a host ID based on the dongle itself, and regardless of the file location, only works with that specific dongle. luckily, they are more sympathetic and will reset the license file if you lose your dongle. if you have the license registered to you, that is. the rockwell license can be assigned to a hard drive or a nic also. little different, and way better cust support.

why didnt you just tell him you found it wedged under your seat after you moved, and when you were walking to your house to call him it fell out of your hand and went thru a steel sewer grate or something? the company clearly replaces damaged dongles... buy one of the ones on ebay/ whatever and take a hammer to it...

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: randay
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
It's unreasonable for a company to think that a USB dongle is not going to get lost at some point by someone. As long as the customer can prove proof of purchase, they should be able to send you another flash drive for a small fee.

It's one thing if we were talking about a $100 piece of software - but when we're talking about thousands of dollars worth of software. Come on!

Also - their use of the "if you lose your watch" is STUPID. It's more like "if you lose the keys to your car, would <insert maker here> actually make you buy another 20k car"? NO, idiots. They USB drive is just a COMPONENT of the actual software. The same way the keys to a car are just a component that allows you access/use to the car.'

I'm not for stealing, but in this case your only recourse may be to crack the sofware.

the price of the software is trivial, its the price of the dongle that you are really going to pay for. its normal. the op has no recourse but to get a "shareware" version of the software.

Seriously? You mean all those thousands of man hours, hundreds of developers to design and build those programs are worthless. It's all about the security dongle?

Is that why almost every other software maker doesn't use dongles? That's an VERY expensive $2000 dongle. I'm surprised Sandisc can stay in business!

No need saying shareware....say he's cracking it like he's doing. They're ripping him off, he may or may not choose to do the same.

Either way, the company is wrong.

small software companies who sell very small volumes of software have to do business this way. the dongle is the software effectively. if you bought a version of windows vista, then lost the serial key, do you think microsoft would give you another serial key for free?

no, but for 20 bucks they will replace the media (with a new serial key on the back) if you can give your previous serial number. i have done this. one time i paid the 20 bucks to get my office 2000 upgrade (yes, upgrade) cds replaced and they sent me a brand new full version copy without authentication. i thought it was a mistake until i lost the batch install disk for XPPro, which they sent out a new copy with no registration/ authentication as well. 20 bucks was nothing.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: her209
Can you think of anyway I can try to fight this?
Nope.

wow, for a company to be such asses im surprised they haven't been sued yet.

Next time your wife loses her engagement ring, just have her call up the jeweler to replace it.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Nope.

Next time your wife loses her engagement ring, just have her call up the jeweler to replace it.

:roll:

What an douche emo chimp.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Nope.

For a forum full of techies, it's amazing how many people have no clue how computers work.

<zoolander>Wait...the files are inside the dongle?</zoolander>

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
It's unreasonable for a company to think that a USB dongle is not going to get lost at some point by someone. As long as the customer can prove proof of purchase, they should be able to send you another flash drive for a small fee.

It's one thing if we were talking about a $100 piece of software - but when we're talking about thousands of dollars worth of software. Come on!

Also - their use of the "if you lose your watch" is STUPID. It's more like "if you lose the keys to your car, would <insert maker here> actually make you buy another 20k car"? NO, idiots. They USB drive is just a COMPONENT of the actual software. The same way the keys to a car are just a component that allows you access/use to the car.'

I'm not for stealing, but in this case your only recourse may be to crack the sofware.

the price of the software is trivial, its the price of the dongle that you are really going to pay for. its normal. the op has no recourse but to get a "shareware" version of the software.

Seriously? You mean all those thousands of man hours, hundreds of developers to design and build those programs are worthless. It's all about the security dongle?

Is that why almost every other software maker doesn't use dongles? That's an VERY expensive $2000 dongle. I'm surprised Sandisc can stay in business!

No need saying shareware....say he's cracking it like he's doing. They're ripping him off, he may or may not choose to do the same.

small software companies who sell very small volumes of software have to do business this way. the dongle is the software effectively. if you bought a version of windows vista, then lost the serial key, do you think microsoft would give you another serial key for free?

no, but for 20 bucks they will replace the media (with a new serial key on the back) if you can give your previous serial number. i have done this. one time i paid the 20 bucks to get my office 2000 upgrade (yes, upgrade) cds replaced and they sent me a brand new full version copy without authentication. i thought it was a mistake until i lost the batch install disk for XPPro, which they sent out a new copy with no registration/ authentication as well. 20 bucks was nothing.

You can also authenticate OEM versions of their OS multiple times on different hardware, as long as you give the call centre a half assed reason for doing so. At least you could do in 2004 when I was a pc tech, not sure about now.

Regarding that company...you should tell them it was melted in a fire and then send them a melted to hell USB dongle. :p

Jahee

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2006
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
Why don't you buy one of the blank dongles on ebay, smash it, send them the smashed dongle and your receipt/license. It's technically not lost and if it's smashed good enough they won't be able to tell it's blank.

http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/i...s-usbkey_cnet2_256.jpg

Does that answer your question? It looks like you would have to break it in such a fashion to completely obliterate that key number. And even then I bet there is something unique about the generic one compared to the one designed especially for Cubase 4.

Burn it?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: GuideBot
Nope.

The company would win.

Sure they would.

In court.

If the plaintiff was simply suing for a replacement (not something unreasonable like $1mill)
and they won it could look VERY VERY bad for them

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky

You can also authenticate OEM versions of their OS multiple times on different hardware, as long as you give the call centre a half assed reason for doing so. At least you could do in 2004 when I was a pc tech, not sure about now.

Regarding that company...you should tell them it was melted in a fire and then send them a melted to hell USB dongle. :p

Yeah only incredibly enough it says they will only replace a damaged one if the number is legible. But if I take that approach it is probably the way to go. However if they found out I bought it online and was trying to circumvent their rules that would be the end of my case.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: KK
Nope.

:roll:

What an douche emo chimp.

Same difference. This is a hardware device. Not the same as just loosing your CD/damaging it.

The 'lost dongle' thing would cost software manufacturers tons. This is why they usually only use them on high end software and esp applications that may run on machines without internet access.

Next time think a little bit before getting all upset about someone coming down on your lover.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah only incredibly enough it says they will only replace a damaged one if the number is legible. But if I take that approach it is probably the way to go. However if they found out I bought it online and was trying to circumvent their rules that would be the end of my case.

Probably not, but if you bought a dongle that works, why replace it.

For the last time though getting replacement media is not the same as replacing a dongle.

It would be like calling Microsoft and saying you lost your CD key.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005

Probably not, but if you bought a dongle that works, why replace it.

For the last time though getting replacement media is not the same as replacing a dongle.

It would be like calling Microsoft and saying you lost your CD key.

Jeez, did you even read the thread? Microsoft WILL replace your key!

Please refrain from making further dumb analogies. It's clearly obvious to everyone but you that the dongle reflects the "key" to access the software and does not contain the value of the software itself. This is not the same as loosing a material good that has a lot of inherit cash value.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
technically the dongle is the value, because it's the heart of the software that keeps you from sending your buddy a copy of your software. that said, there should be a way to get a replacement. a dongle isn't a very big thing, and it is obviously possible for it to get lost. perhaps when you get your new key you phone home online, it gets registered and attaches itself to the software somehow, so that if you had your old key it would no longer work with it. in this day and age there are ways of making it happen without dicking over your customers. these people are your bread and butter, they keep you in business so you don't have to bag groceries for a living, treat them with a little more respect.

edit: the watch analogy is still dumb.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
only with the old serial which is then deactivated. You can get CD's anytime, you aren't even really buying the CD...it's the COA your are buying. In the case of the dongle, that is another part of the purchase. The software is really nothing. Most will not need a new serial...i

A dongle is just like I described. However, you could send in the old one and then you can get a new one...don't have the old one sorry.

Maybe in your little fantasy world you think things work differently, but in a Fortune 400 enterprise with 6000 workstations and tons of specialized software I think I know a little better than you.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
only with the old serial which is then deactivated. You can get CD's anytime, you aren't even really buying the CD...it's the COA your are buying. In the case of the dongle, that is another part of the purchase. The software is really nothing. Most will not need a new serial...i

A dongle is just like I described. However, you could send in the old one and then you can get a new one...don't have the old one sorry.

Maybe in your little fantasy world you think things work differently, but in a Fortune 400 enterprise with 6000 workstations and tons of specialized software I think I know a little better than you.

it's amazing how many jobs you've held and how many different lives you've lived in the time you've been posting on anandtech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: fisher
technically the dongle is the value, because it's the heart of the software that keeps you from sending your buddy a copy of your software. that said, there should be a way to get a replacement. a dongle isn't a very big thing, and it is obviously possible for it to get lost. perhaps when you get your new key you phone home online, it gets registered and attaches itself to the software somehow, so that if you had your old key it would no longer work with it. in this day and age there are ways of making it happen without dicking over your customers. these people are your bread and butter, they keep you in business so you don't have to bag groceries for a living, treat them with a little more respect.

Dude you can't say it's small and therefore easy to lose. In reality that dongle is to stay in the machine it's installed on. They used to be parallel based and screw in.

It's not about dicking over a customer, it's about customers trying to find loophole to get multiple installs running. This is the whole reasoning behind hardware keys.

Why would you need to move that dongle around anyway?

There are tons of items far more expensive than $1500 that are smaller than a dongle and people don't lose them and if they do they have no recourse for their STUPIDITY.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

Dude you can't say it's small and therefore easy to lose. In reality that dongle is to stay in the machine it's installed on. They used to be parallel based and screw in.

It's not about dicking over a customer, it's about customers trying to find loophole to get multiple installs running. This is the whole reasoning behind hardware keys.

There are tons of items far more expensive than $1500 that are smaller than a dongle and people don't lose them and if they do they have no recourse for their STUPIDITY.

so you leave it in and hope the janitor doesn't pull it out? or a coworker? or your kid? you never move your machine? maybe it has to go in a front port and you don't want it getting bumped into and broken?

be serious.

shit happens, things get lost. i understand the reason for hardware keys, but shit happens. this isn't a perfect world.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

it's amazing how many jobs you've held and how many different lives you've lived in the time you've been posting on anandtech.

well dumb ass it's the same line of work that I have been in mostly in throughout my life, a mortgage company.

So your facts are straight for next time I worked mortgage since around 8th grade then chinese delivery part time in high school a bit *edit* I also interned for a large civil/mechanical engineering firm for about 1 year in high school...then interned in both a pharmacy and veternary practice in college while working for a couple mortgage companies. I later decided to no longer go for Pharmacy and found a big opportunity with a mortgage company full time, bought my first house at 23. I got bored after 6 or so years and went back to college for a Comp Sci degree. While in college I used my biological science background to work for a medical coding company part time.

Once I graduated I worked for a web shop, did this for about a year or two and the went into the Information Tech side of the mortgage business for the last 4+ years. We are only one of the top 10 homebuilders in the country.

Take some notes so you know better next time.

josh0099

Aug 8, 2004

But yet most of that stuff isn't as easy to replace....A little dongle is nothing in all aspects of life. Who cares why he had to move it etc...This problem can be easily solved for allowing one replacement for a cost of $100-200 to prevent people from abusing the program etc...

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

well dumb ass it's the same line of work that I have been in mostly in throughout my life, a mortgage company.

So your facts are straight for next time I worked mortgage since around 8th grade then chinese delivery part time in high school a bit *edit* I also interned for a large civil/mechanical engineering firm for about 1 year in high school...then interned in both a pharmacy and veternary practice in college while working for a couple mortgage companies. I later decided to no longer go for Pharmacy and found a big opportunity with a mortgage company full time, bought my first house at 23. I got bored after 6 or so years and went back to college for a Comp Sci degree. While in college I used my biological science background to work for a medical coding company part time.

Once I graduated I worked for a web shop, did this for about a year or two and the went into the Information Tech side of the mortgage business for the last 4+ years. We are only one of the top 10 homebuilders in the country.

you've claimed to do and be so many things i can't even remember half of them. :) mostly when trying to belittle someone while trying to prove a point, like in this example. :)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: josh0099
But yet most of that stuff isn't as easy to replace....A little dongle is nothing in all aspects of life. Who cares why he had to move it etc...This problem can be easily solved for allowing one replacement for a cost of $100-200 to prevent people from abusing the program etc...

and for the business that uses this application, the $1500 entry fee is nothing.

$100-200 is nothing and my bet is it would just lead to many getting the program for home use for that price, never owning the original and never getting permission from the company they work for to do it in the first place.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

you've claimed to do and be so many things i can't even remember half of them. :) mostly when trying to belittle someone while trying to prove a point, like in this example. :)

you made yourself look like a dumbass trying to do so.