Lost $1500 worth of software because I lost a stupid usb key

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I would post on every online forum known to man.
Let everyone know how bad their customer support is.
You personally will cause them tens of thousands of dollars in losses.

Then... get a crack online.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Soundmanred
You cannot copy (most) USB license keys. They don't show up as a normal flash drive. That would defeat their purpose.
If you unplug it, the software reverts to a trial version with options disabled.
They do tell you to treat them like the price of the software. I use on for WeldPro and they told me if I lost it, be prepared to pay for another one at the full price of the software ($2300). I tried to find ways to copy it just in case, and there aren't any.
Personal responsibility anyone?
I know it sucks that you lost it, but it was your responsibility to keep track of it, period.
If you do go the crack way, be warned that most cracks for programs like this are viruses.

From their forums:

In Steinberg's system of copy protection, the critical thing you don't want to lose is the USB key which contains your license. The installation discs are trivial.

Good read.

As a general note we want to raise awareness among our customers that:

The software product value is the price paid, not the value of the raw materials in the product package (manual, CD/DVD etc.).
The Steinberg USB Key containing the product licenses represents the entire value of the products.

2.1. I have accidentally lost my USB key! Does it get replaced by Steinberg?

A simple answer: No. You are solely responsible for the USB key and the contained licenses. If you lost your key the only solution is to buy the products/licenses again. Imagine you have lost your watch: Would you get a replacement from the manufacturer? Most likely not. Keep your USB key safe! It is not a problem to replace manuals, installation media or other components but not an USB key with licenses!

It would have been nice if they said that in the instruction manual.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000

A simple answer: No. You are solely responsible for the USB key and the contained licenses. If you lost your key the only solution is to buy the products/licenses again. Imagine you have lost your watch: Would you get a replacement from the manufacturer? Most likely not. Keep your USB key safe! It is not a problem to replace manuals, installation media or other components but not an USB key with licenses!
I would argue, if I lost the key to get into and start my car, I would damn well break into it and hot wire it.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
It would have been nice if they said that in the instruction manual.

I do agree with this, the C4 manual doesn't drive the point home like it should. For the program I use (WeldPro) it says it on every page and then some!

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
What a stupid ass company with stupid ass policies. I hope they go under. If I know a company won't support their customer base then they aren't a company I would deal with. Hopefully there is a crack out there somewhere that you can find to get your expensive software back up and running.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
It's unreasonable for a company to think that a USB dongle is not going to get lost at some point by someone. As long as the customer can prove proof of purchase, they should be able to send you another flash drive for a small fee.

It's one thing if we were talking about a $100 piece of software - but when we're talking about thousands of dollars worth of software. Come on!

Also - their use of the "if you lose your watch" is STUPID. It's more like "if you lose the keys to your car, would <insert maker here> actually make you buy another 20k car"? NO, idiots. They USB drive is just a COMPONENT of the actual software. The same way the keys to a car are just a component that allows you access/use to the car.'

I'm not for stealing, but in this case your only recourse may be to crack the sofware.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Originally posted by: her209

I would argue, if I lost the key to get into and start my car, I would damn well break into it and hot wire it.

That's not really a valid comparison. This would equate to losing your car and expecting the dealership to give you another one. Like they say - the program is not where the value lies, it's the key. If that were the case with a car key, it would be valid. In cases of theft, loss by fire, etc they tell you to see if your insurance will cover the cost of a new license (i.e. program). Not a bad idea.
I think USB keys are a bad idea, but they are harder to crack than a normal software license key, so I understand why they would want to use them. If there were a way for them to know that you're not trying to get something for free, that would be good, but there really isn't.
I went as so far to install the WeldPro USB key inside my case, so it wouldn't get lost when moving or get unplugged accidentally, etc.

It's one thing if we were talking about a $100 piece of software - but when we're talking about thousands of dollars worth of software. Come on!

If it were a $100 piece of software, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
It's unreasonable for a company to think that a USB dongle is not going to get lost at some point by someone. As long as the customer can prove proof of purchase, they should be able to send you another flash drive for a small fee.

Also - their use of the "if you lose your watch" is STUPID. It's more like "if you lose the keys to your car, would <insert maker here> actually make you buy another 20k car"? NO, idiots. They USB drive is just a COMPONENT of the actual software. The same way the keys to a car are just a component that allows you access/use to the car.'

I'm not for stealing, but in this case your only recourse may be to crack the sofware.

the price of the software is trivial, its the price of the dongle that you are really going to pay for. its normal. the op has no recourse but to get a "shareware" version of the software.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: randay
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

the price of the software is trivial, its the price of the dongle that you are really going to pay for. its normal. the op has no recourse but to get a "shareware" version of the software.

Seriously? You mean all those thousands of man hours, hundreds of developers to design and build those programs are worthless. It's all about the security dongle?

Is that why almost every other software maker doesn't use dongles? That's an VERY expensive $2000 dongle. I'm surprised Sandisc can stay in business!

No need saying shareware....say he's cracking it like he's doing. They're ripping him off, he may or may not choose to do the same.

Either way, the company is wrong.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
1) crack software if possiable
2) find alternative if cant crack
3) bad mouth company as much as you can

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
LOL they have online authentication yet rather than use this pathway for verifying ownership, they use an unreplaceable key? Talk about unreasonable. The car key analogy is right. If you lose you car key you can get a new one for a small fee.

You paid for the license to use the software, and you still own it. Maybe you can do something in small claims court?

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Kirby64
If they don't give you a new one, I'm sure there are ways to emulate said USB key... *hint*

Not to mention that those dongles were specifically excluded from the DMCA, so it would be completely legal to do so.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Like they say - the program is not where the value lies, it's the key.
BS. The program is where the value lies. The key merely allows you to access the program.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

That's not really a valid comparison. This would equate to losing your car and expecting the dealership to give you another one. Like they say - the program is not where the value lies, it's the key. If that were the case with a car key, it would be valid. In cases of theft, loss by fire, etc they tell you to see if your insurance will cover the cost of a new license (i.e. program). Not a bad idea.

It's a perfectly valid comparison. The software and all the "machinery" needed to run the program resides on his computer, but it will not work without the USB key plugged into the back--in much the same way as my car outside is perfectly operational, but will not work without my "key" inside to prove that I'm the valid owner. If you find a way around the authentication routine, the software works perfectly--that's where the value is, whatever the company is trying to claim. If you find a way around the authentication routine in my car (hotwiring it), you can drive it around.

Well, if you lose your key, a car dealership will sell you a new one. You just need proof of ownership. Which the OP has. Sure, they can charge the material cost for a new key (car or USB), but that is NOT equal to the full price of the package.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Drakkon
I had a few pieces of software like this that a 3d artist used. He told me they would be jerks if we ever needed to replace them. Well one day we moved and of course one key managed ot go missing. Then on top of that we thought we'd transfer the software to another guys machine no big deal. Out of the 5 devices the one being lost we couldn't get a refund on - it was lost no matter how hard we tried as it was a german company and they would just laugh at us. Another key was not only attached to the USB key but ALSO attached to a hardware ID. a change in hardware ID was considered a new key so they actually wanted ANOTHER $2000 for a new key. Tried the "hardware was destroyed" - they still wouldn't provide a new key. Others we had to spend anywhere from $100-$500 for a new key. From now on I will never deal with another company that requires these "keys" - i don't care how much the software is "needed" the hassle behind them and company practices are downright atrocious.

That's the only way they will change their policies. We've had a situation where we were pretty far down the path to buying a software product only to back out for this reason. It was a shame, too, since the salespeople as well as our own team had wasted a lot of time in benchmarking, etc. We had budget approval, the whole works.

Now I ask early in the process if they use a hardware key and if they say yes, I say we do not purchase products like that under any circumstances. I've gone as far as to say I would buy the product if they would simply give us a version that does not require the hardware key, or if they will guarantee in writing that if we submit a sworn statement of loss, they will replace it for a nominal fee. Oh, the salespeople get frustrated. When they launch into the "our customers don't have a problem with it" speech, I say I'm not going to put myself in a position with my managers where if someone walks off with the device I am going to look like an idiot for buying software that assigns a $4000 value to something I can't secure without going to ridiculous lengths.

I don't blame anyone for refusing to buy software like that.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: kranky
That's the only way they will change their policies. We've had a situation where we were pretty far down the path to buying a software product only to back out for this reason. It was a shame, too, since the salespeople as well as our own team had wasted a lot of time in benchmarking, etc. We had budget approval, the whole works.

Now I ask early in the process if they use a hardware key and if they say yes, I say we do not purchase products like that under any circumstances. I've gone as far as to say I would buy the product if they would simply give us a version that does not require the hardware key, or if they will guarantee in writing that if we submit a sworn statement of loss, they will replace it for a nominal fee. Oh, the salespeople get frustrated. When they launch into the "our customers don't have a problem with it" speech, I say I'm not going to put myself in a position with my managers where if someone walks off with the device I am going to look like an idiot for buying software that assigns a $4000 value to something I can't secure without going to ridiculous lengths.

I don't blame anyone for refusing to buy software like that.
"Our customers don't have a problem with it" - reply with, "You're right. The people who do have a problem with it aren't going to become your customers in the first place."

This sounds like a really bad idea. It's annoying enough to keep track of a text-based key for something, but at least that can be backed up electronically. A hardware key for software, well, it's just good that everything doesn't try this. Imagine keeping a bin full of keys for every last software license you own.
Put in the key to boot Windows. Then as it's booting up, insert the keys, in sequence, for every single background app that's running. Might as well go back to punch cards.

Yes, the hardware keys are a wonderful value - to the sellers of the software and the USB devices themselves. That's where it ends, from there, it's all a customer and support nightmare.

The best option I can come up with for keeping the key safe is to hardwire it to your motherboard inside the case, or if you don't want to lose ports, hardwire a powered hub into your case, so that the key is always connected, and always safe.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Man thats brutal :(

This is such a sh!t policy tha they are running.

Koing

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
I'm trying to think if there are some incredible circumstances I could make up like my house burning down or my car smashed to smithereens. But I'm sure the response will be that my insurance should cover it.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
They have to be violating a consumer protection law somewhere. I'd do some research online and see if you can file in small claims. Even if you have a weak case, they probably still won't show, letting you win by default.