Lost $1500 worth of software because I lost a stupid usb key

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: fisher

i'm not as smart as you, but i'm fairly sure a small usb key would be easier to misplace in a move than a guitar. good call tho.

Yeah you are right, you lose a diamond earring you can just call up and have another sent right out.

because that's exactly what i'm saying right? idiot.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Well, believe it or not I scavenged my house fore eight hours yesterday and found the damn thing. Somehow that key chain just blended in perfectly with its location.

I'm still curious to talk to Steinberg and see if I would have gotten anywhere, though. If only to get them to change their policy.

Now where did I put that damned key?

(just kidding)

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Glad that you found it Doug. That company needs to reevaluate their policy, I won't be using them anytime soon.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: CitizenDoug
Well, believe it or not I scavenged my house fore eight hours yesterday and found the damn thing. Somehow that key chain just blended in perfectly with its location.

I'm still curious to talk to Steinberg and see if I would have gotten anywhere, though. If only to get them to change their policy.

Now where did I put that damned key?

(just kidding)

Good! Now duct tape it to the side of your DAW!

Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Glad that you found it Doug. That company needs to reevaluate their policy, I won't be using them anytime soon.

There are over two dozen electronic music companies utilizing the iLok authorization form of protection.

50cent1228

Platinum Member
Oct 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Wow... after reading that thread I have two thoughts...

1 - Don't buy their products because they don't give a shit about their customers.
2 - If you must buy their products, treat that USB dongle as if it were $1500 in CASH.

*EDIT* By the way, since I deal with gift cards nearly every day, there's a post in that thread that compares the USB dongle to a gift card by saying if the gift card is lost, so is the money that was on it. Not true. Any company worth a crap can check the balance on the account, close it, and put the balance on a new account/gift card assuming the customer can provide proof of ownership.

CitizenDoug, my advice is to keep bugging the shit out of them. Call their support numbers, ask to speak with managers, throw a fit. Eventually you'll get to someone who will make an exception for this ridiculous policy.

thats has worked for.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
The problem with the diamond analogy is that you recognize that the jewelry is intrinsically valuable and hence you're more careful with it. The security dongle SHOULDN'T be equated with the $1500 purchase and that's what the problem was. The OP did not expect losing it would mean losing access to the software, it's a stupid company policy. The analogy would be apt if he knew the dongle was worth 1500 but was careless with it anyways
The problem with the diamond analogy is that its not comparable. If the OP had lost his laptop along with the USB dongle, then that would be something else.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

There are over two dozen electronic music companies utilizing the iLok authorization form of protection.

QFT...the whole reason behind it is many musicians do not have internet connectivity where they run their software from plus many pirate software.

I don't think the companies would be so concerned if it was just a budding musician, but when production companies are running tens of thousands of dollars in pirated goods it's a problem.

Prior to licenses one was shit out of luck should there original software fail usually/be lost/stolen unless they could return the original media to the manufacturer. With licensing it's easy to just keep a personal file of all your keys and if the media is ever damaged or lost, most companies can provide a download link and/or ship out a new DVD/CD set pretty cheap or free.

I just don't agree with consumers pushing the blame to the companies for their own errors. It's becoming commonplace and expected now though.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

QFT...the whole reason behind it is many musicians do not have internet connectivity where they run their software from plus many pirate software.

I don't think the companies would be so concerned if it was just a budding musician, but when production companies are running tens of thousands of dollars in pirated goods it's a problem.

Prior to licenses one was shit out of luck should there original software fail usually/be lost/stolen unless they could return the original media to the manufacturer. With licensing it's easy to just keep a personal file of all your keys and if the media is ever damaged or lost, most companies can provide a download link and/or ship out a new DVD/CD set pretty cheap or free.

I just don't agree with consumers pushing the blame to the companies for their own errors. It's becoming commonplace and expected now though.
I have no problem with licenses, but I do have a problem with companies who won't allow access to software when consumers have a receipt and have already paid for the software. If you've lost your hardware key and still have the receipt, then you should be fine. Let me put it in Layman's: Frankly, it's BS and I won't be using that company or any with a similar policy, period.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I have no problem with licenses, but I do have a problem with companies who won't allow access to software when consumers have a receipt and have already paid for the software. If you've lost your hardware key and still have the receipt, then you should be fine. Let me put it in Layman's: Frankly, it's BS and I won't be using that company or any with a similar policy, period.

It's not BS at all. The reason for this very model was this is what people did originally. One person buys it in tandem with another and they get two copies for one price (or more).

The dongle model is a tangable one. It's really what you have bought. You lose that and you have lost your investment. It become no different than losing any other valuable, the size factor is moot as diamond earrings are much smaller and yes people do lose them from time to time and they are shit out of luck.

People are thinking this emotionally or idealistically that we live in an honest world. If people weren't stealing the software to begin with the dongle model would have never been born.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

It's not BS at all. The reason for this very model was this is what people did originally. One person buys it in tandem with another and they get two copies for one price (or more).

The dongle model is a tangable one. It's really what you have bought. You lose that and you have lost your investment. It become no different than losing any other valuable, the size factor is moot as diamond earrings are much smaller and yes people do lose them from time to time and they are shit out of luck.

People are thinking this emotionally or idealistically that we live in an honest world. If people weren't stealing the software to begin with the dongle model would have never been born.

the dongle model is antiquated.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

You're an idiot.

What have they really done to stop piracy? NOTHING. Go to any torrent site and search for the software he's looking for. You can find it cracked and ready for download. It hasn't stopped anything.

1. What it HAS done is caused a major problem for an actual paying customers. Now they end up leaving users in a bad spot because they won't support their product after sale and also are left with bad word of mouth from customers who have problems. Go search the web and you'll find stories just like his. You don't see this problem with other software vendors who allow you to use proof of purchase.

It's a stupid policy and I for one know I'll never buy from this company. I'm sure others won't either.

2. You piss poor analogy of a diamond in a ring is freaking stupid. Does a ring in total completely quit working when you lose one of the diamonds in it? NO. Does your ring require activation and an additional tool to use every time you want to put it on? NO.

It's a simple as a car with car keys. People can steal a car and hotwire it if they want to. That is the same as piracy. You can't "start" a car without a set of keys. If you lose the keys, you have to pay a fee to a locksmith or the car company to have a new set of keys made. Do you believe a dealer would say "oh well, buy a whole new car".

Your logic is screwed up.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

You're an idiot.

What have they really done to stop piracy? NOTHING. Go to any torrent site and search for the software he's looking for. You can find it cracked and ready for download. It hasn't stopped anything.

1. What it HAS done is caused a major problem for an actual paying customers. Now they end up leaving users in a bad spot because they won't support their product after sale and also are left with bad word of mouth from customers who have problems. Go search the web and you'll find stories just like his. You don't see this problem with other software vendors who allow you to use proof of purchase.

It's a stupid policy and I for one know I'll never buy from this company. I'm sure others won't either.

2. You piss poor analogy of a diamond in a ring is freaking stupid. Does a ring in total completely quit working when you lose one of the diamonds in it? NO. Does your ring require activation and an additional tool to use every time you want to put it on? NO.

It's a simple as a car with car keys. People can steal a car and hotwire it if they want to. That is the same as piracy. You can't "start" a car without a set of keys. If you lose the keys, you have to pay a fee to a locksmith or the car company to have a new set of keys made. Do you believe a dealer would say "oh well, buy a whole new car".

as much as i don't agree with alky, there was a time and a place for this model. when it was introduced it was very hard to keep software from being pirated using the sneakernet. software was on diskettes, and it was easy to pass them around. you were buying the software, but the key played an important part, because it was required for the software to work. the keys were also screwed into your lpt port, a bit harder to lose that way. it was also easier to just leave in, because with recessed ports it didn't really stick out much.

however, in this day and age, there are much better ways to do this. if they really want to stick with the dongle, there are ways to deactivate a usb key and assign a new one to a piece of software. they keep using this model because they know they can get away with it, they hold their users hostage because they refuse to update.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

You're an idiot.

I am sure they are really upset they lost your business...you really have no clue. I said an earring and that was only an EXAMPLE. You lost that earring, you have lost it's use.

You read what you wanted to.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

What's your solution for systems that usually aren't networked?

Also I am not sure how many parallel dongles you have seen...some extend 3-4 inches off a machine and made hooking up a parallel printer risky to the port.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000

What's your solution for systems that usually aren't networked?

Also I am not sure how many parallel dongles you have seen...some extend 3-4 inches off a machine and made hooking up a parallel printer risky to the port.

quite a few. not really risky, just make sure everything is tight. :)

i've already made mention of my solutions in the this thread. imho putting a few unconnected users at a bit more inconvenience is better than the majority of your customers.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

I am sure they are really upset they lost your business...you really have no clue. I said an earring and that was only an EXAMPLE. You lost that earring, you have lost it's use.

You read what you wanted to.

They should be upset they lost my business. Their whole point of business is to sale products. Considering I do video/audio production for my work - duh. You may want to get a clue.

If it's such a wonderful security measure, why aren't all the other companies using it? Do tell.

Your example sucked. That was my point. As I said, you don't have to use a tool that ALLOWS you use of those earrings. You don't need anything special. You can't compare jewelry to software though. Software uses a special authenticated USER SPECIFC Serial number or key in most instances. If you can provide proof of purchase, they will replace your software. It doesn't COST them anything to provide you a new Key and set of CD's. It's not a money losing situation if you proof you purchased it. Generally they charge you $20 for a new set of disc if you break/lose one. The problem with the company here is the won't even SELL you a new key, they want to charge you for the full "set of earrings" instead of the cost of the diamond.

We won't get into the fact that a diamond in a set of earrings is not a proprietary product. You can get another diamond anywhere. You can't get the CD Key or USB key from ANYWHERE. You are forced to get it from that company.

They're not going to give you a new diamond because they cannot block that diamond from being resold and it cost them money to replace that diamond. There's a huge secondary cost to replacement cost.

Do I have to continue making you look like an idiot? You?re analogy sucks and you?re the one that doesn?t have a clue.

There's probably a reason you can't hold down a job.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Do I have to continue making you look like an idiot? Your analogy sucks and you?re the one that doesn?t have a clue.

There's probably a reason you can't hold down a job.

it's alky, he will never stop, no matter how bad he looks.

mh47g

May 25, 2007
Think of it from the company's perspective. At this point (until someone cracks it?), they're 100% guaranteed that their software will not be pirated.

Sounds like someone should have been a little more careful about where they put their usb license key.

If that were me, it would have been in my front pocket the entire time...

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: mh47g
Think of it from the company's perspective. At this point (until someone cracks it?), they're 100% guaranteed that their software will not be pirated.

Sounds like someone should have been a little more careful about where they put their usb license key.

Wrong. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cubase+4+torrent

There's basically nothing that's really "hack proof" as far as consumer software these days.

They're really ONLY screwing their paying customers who may made the mistake of losing their USB keys. What do they gain from this? Pissed off customers?

mh47g

May 25, 2007

Wrong. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cubase+4+torrent

There's basically nothing that's really "hack proof" as far as consumer software these days.

They're really ONLY screwing their paying customers who may made the mistake of losing their USB keys. What do they gain from this? Pissed off customers?

OK I'm confused. Why doesn't the OP just download one of those torrents then? Oh, I hope it makes you feel like you are a big e-man by starting out your sentence with "Wrong."

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Read the entire thread. It has been "cracked", but not successfully. It's like cracking a game and not actually getting to play, just look.
I'm sure it's just a matter of time however.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

Sure they're 100% guaranteed to be pirate proof, but at what cost? How much revenue is lost as a result of bad word of mouth? How much revenue is lost due to the fact that there are other (successful) companies who create software and can claim near 100% as well (w/out pissing off their customers?)? Last I checked, the point of running a business is to satisfy your customers, not piss on them or alienate them. No doubt this is America, and you can run your business however you see fit. Whether you're successful or not is an entirely different conclusion.