Legend of Grimrock (Real Time RPG) - April 11, 2012 release

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RayCathode

Oct 10, 2001
I'm willing to admit that nostalgia might be clouding my judgment, but I'm really enjoying this game. I had some graph paper lying around so I decided to go old-school and map it out. I'm only on level four and it hasn't been a problem, but I'll probably come to regret it if the maps get more complicated.

As a gaming cheapskate I debated not preordering since it will inevitably end up cheaper in a Humble Bundle or a Gog/Steam sale, but for now I'm glad I didn't wait.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Sorry about that, fixed the quote.

However this puzzle is one of many in the game that's easy to over think....

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Stuck on the first room in floor 3 for a while. Want to resist hints, but wondering if more time will help. Not looking for any hint at this time.

'Lone pillar of light stands alone in the night.'

Sounds like a torch - one torch - not sure what 'stand alone in the night' is.

I've tried all kinds of torch placement in the 5 holders in the room...

I ended up starting over because my chars were lvl 3-4 and they were just way to gimped from my initial setup and advancement choices.

Much better now, I actually have a chance in combat, whereas before I was just getting creamed.

With this new group, I've just gotten to where you are now.
Had a bit of trouble with this puzzle as well, but figured it out after a few minutes.

I am really enjoying myself on this one.
My only complaints are that the controls just take a bit getting used to (for me anyway), and the levels aren't as large as I thought they would be - but they're still quite challenging.

I just have to sit back and look at this game and wonder.
This was made by a four man Indie developer Team - why the heck can't (or won't) the big developers do games this way?

I'm just early on in level 3, and I'm already anxiously waiting on Mods/Expansions :D

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Damn, Level 9 already! I just finished L6 and starting L7.

the pitfall puzzle in the hall of flames was driving me nuts. the main problem was each time I dropped down and portal back up those damn fire guys respawned... I really dislike infinite spawns in games... I hope it doesnt become more prevalent as the game progresses.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Damn, Level 9 already! I just finished L6 and starting L7.

the pitfall puzzle in the hall of flames was driving me nuts. the main problem was each time I dropped down and portal back up those damn fire guys respawned... I really dislike infinite spawns in games... I hope it doesnt become more prevalent as the game progresses.

Actually on level 10 now.

I ended up skipping that area because of the respawning, but there is only a few places in the game that respawning occurs.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dang..the spiders are annoyingly fast and deadly. My party ventured into an area [on level 3 I think] where the gate drops down behind the party and traps them. They managed to take down the 1st spider, but the 2nd one devoured the entire party with ease. Nothing spoilerish about it - you can obviously see the gate doesn't stay open...just gotta draw 1 spider out at a time [or maybe I need to restart with a different party - 2 warriors, 1 rogue, 1 mage]

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Finished! Took me about 17 hours. Already thinking about playing again with a different party composition (used 2 warriors, 1 Rogue, 1 Mage). Only got a little over half the secrets. Also want to take a skill or two up to full power, which I couldn't do in this game.

Overall, loved it, can't wait for DLC.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I'm having a blats with the game and only on level 3 of the dungeon.
One thing though, it seems that theres a lot of confusion regarding DEX and STR where a STR Rogue would deal a lot more damage and would be more efficient.

Sure a DEX Rogue in the back row won't benefit too much from it's high evasion but some people thought that DEX would up their ranged dmg too, it's not the case.

Anyways, game's a blast and reminds me of Menzo/Crusaders of the Dark Savant/EotB...awesome!

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Watching the video, this kind of reminds me of this game where you had to escape from a castle after piecing together the clues. I remember it was something Frankenstein maybe, but the game was interesting. This actually looks intriguing.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I'm enjoying the game more than I thought, well worth the $13.

Just reached level 4 last night (although I know I left something unfinished on 3), but I seem to be stuck in the first rooms.

There is a "demon face" near a closed/locked door and a message about how I need to sacrifice to continue. I can't figure this out though. Then there is another room that was full of slime mobs. Very hard fights, they did a lot of damage and caused diseases, but I eventually cleared them all. I didn't see any way to move on from that room, so I am assuming I need to figure out the "sacrifice" puzzle, but I am at a loss.

I made a party with 3 rogues and 1 warrior. Front line sword warrior and dagger rogue, rear line throwing (minotaur max str) rogue and ranged rogue. DPS is very high and most mobs die fast, but my front line fighters don't have very much protection or evasion because I didn't train their armor proficiency skills. I want to reach the level 50 weapon skills, but it seems the mechanics of the game don't give you enough points to train up defensive skills AND weapon skills to max. I'm a little afraid that eventually I'll get to a point where my front line characters can't survive due to lack of defensive skills.

Last edited:

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I bought this yesterday because I loved Dungeon Master and Black Crypt on my Amiga... It's living up to my expectations. I'm playing hard difficulty and old school mode. I picked Warrior/Rogue/Mage/Mage and just found the stairs to level 3...

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Just reached level 4 last night (although I know I left something unfinished on 3), but I seem to be stuck in the first rooms.

There is a "demon face" near a closed/locked door and a message about how I need to sacrifice to continue. I can't figure this out though. Then there is another room that was full of slime mobs. Very hard fights, they did a lot of damage and caused diseases, but I eventually cleared them all. I didn't see any way to move on from that room, so I am assuming I need to figure out the "sacrifice" puzzle, but I am at a loss.

Ok so that demon face actually says something like 'feed me' right? When you cleared out the slimes in the adjacent room you should have found a green gem. Throw that green gem into the demon face's mouth, that will open the door.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
For the Sacrifice Demon statue

You need to place an item (any item) on the trap door and hit the button.. in essence loosing that item (although you get it back).

Loving this game by the way. Bringing back some good memories. I wish there was a char editor though. I completely gimped my backline rogue with throwing AND assassination. Fail combo.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I bought this yesterday because I loved Dungeon Master and Black Crypt on my Amiga... It's living up to my expectations. I'm playing hard difficulty and old school mode. I picked Warrior/Rogue/Mage/Mage and just found the stairs to level 3...

You must be a sadist. I can't imagine hard difficulty WITH old school mode in the later levels.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
You must be a sadist. I can't imagine hard difficulty WITH old school mode in the later levels.

We'll see how it goes. :) I may restart if it gets too hard. So far it's been ok. Lots of kiting mobs. Like the 4 pack of those warrior dudes with polearm + shield on level 2.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
So how are graphics and performance for this game?

Quite nice, I've seen poorer graphics on AAA titles.

Lighting effects are pretty nice too, and the flames on torches are nice.

Check out one of the many videos of the game available to get a better idea.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Just make sure you turn on Vsync. There is no frame rate cap and after playing for the first 20 mins or so my gpu was hotter than it ever was playing BF3, etc. 1000+ frames a second will do that. lol

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm interested in a couple discussion topics on chars - much of which can be non-spoiler, just 'which do you prefer', and some might be good for spoilers.

One, mage levelling - I picked air for one mage, water for one, but the game gives you little to go on - including spreading out points or sticking to one skill mostly.

Seems like spellcraft is a 'utility' skill, so one mage with points in it, splitting with an element.

Another is, points for a warrior - how much weapon vs. other areas like physical; similar for rogues, like daggers or assassinate.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'm only on level 5 currently, but the way I've been spreading my points is 2 or 3 primary skills, and upping whichever one is going to give me something. You don't get enough points to try to take a little in multiple places.

For instance on my rogue I'm pretty much going straight assasination. Heck, she's pretty much just used a spear the entire game.

For one warrior I took Swords and Athletics and the other Maces and Armor. I feel it gives a bit of balance between the two.

For mage, pretty much spellcraft is a must, and then a few points in each for variety where needed, and major in one.

The game as is doesn't allow for building much beyond that. I think if you spread your points out too much, you'll not be very effective in the lower levels.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'm interested in a couple discussion topics on chars - much of which can be non-spoiler, just 'which do you prefer', and some might be good for spoilers.

One, mage levelling - I picked air for one mage, water for one, but the game gives you little to go on - including spreading out points or sticking to one skill mostly.

Seems like spellcraft is a 'utility' skill, so one mage with points in it, splitting with an element.

Another is, points for a warrior - how much weapon vs. other areas like physical; similar for rogues, like daggers or assassinate.

As for mages, actually for all chars, to receive the best benefits you really can only choose one of the traits it seems. You just will not level up high enough to get to 50 points on more than one trait. So, if you split it up amongst air, earth, fire and ice, you will not be able to use any of the higher levels spells. Now, which trait you choose is based on preference.

For rogues, unless your rogue is going to be on the front line, assassinate is useless. Better to focus on missile.