League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA) part 2

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Had a game today where we were down like 2 to 8 and their mid was like "out played" then every team fight we had we crushed them. Won something like 32 to 15.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
With brand I unleash his spells quickly and in quick succession. You can absolutely melt through peoples HP. The passive is good for two things: 1. Harassing the tank(or anybody else really) that is far forward. 2. Killing blows on people as they run away. You don't leave time between the spells, because the quicker you use them the quicker you can use them again. As powerful as the passive is, it still doesn't do as much damage as your spell does upfront. You still focus on the squishies as much as possible, the bonus with brand is that in the process you still melt a lot of the tanks HP.

Same. If you find the client window is missing after finishing a game, just check your system taskbar in the bottom right hand corner, it will still be running.

i love it when people group for teamfights... usually i'll do WEQR, and it rips people apart. hell, it rips people apart 1v1.

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
Just played one of my more intense games lately. Was placed randomly against your GF Rhoxed. She was super tank Maoki, I was pro assist Lee Sin. I was ready to surrender 45 minutes in, we were getting raped by a fed Eve. But we turtled it out for a bit got level capped and caught them at Baron for the 4 kills and pushed the towers down at throne. If my retard teammates had tanked it with me we could have won there, but we managed to get it on our res which was nice.

I watched that game :p - A friend was playing on my computer, but he has only played about 15 times (their nasus, not very good) - Made me frustrated as Nasus is one of my mains haha. But yea, it was a good game - got to watch the whole thing on a 65" DLP :)

- I told them to watch out for you, and was coaching RhoXie on her Mao build haha

What was it, 72 minutes?

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
i love it when people group for teamfights... usually i'll do WEQR, and it rips people apart. hell, it rips people apart 1v1.

I've found the better sequence is QEWR. This way W does the 25% extra damage. And Q is on a short enough cooldown that it should be up again and people still ablaze to be stunned.

Had a funny moment the other day as Brand in mid. Opponent was around 50% so I unload on them and they start retreating. Must have been at a couple hundred HP and I was pissed because no minions were around to bounce his ult off as I let it go. But then a teammate popped up and ran right towards him and I got the bounce I needed for the kill.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I would just like to say that I hate LB. She destroyed me early as Ryze (first one I should have b-ed but I had her passive down and olaf was making his way through the jungle) and after that she started doing well. We had a couple of teamfights where I got double and triple kills but starting 0-5 really really hurt and we eventually lost. I haven't been beaten that hard since I moved out of my parents house (I jest).

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Fun games last night :) Duroz seemed to think it was strange when I went to mid with Xin. did a few games yesterday with strife and fenix :) Fun times. I love ripping people up in mid as xin because everyone completely underestimates his burst damage at low levels. I ripped both a Caitlyn and a Brand up as mid. I've tried other chars at mid, such as Vlad, Ashe, Nidalee, Anivia, and some others but seriously Xin is the best mid char I've tried to date. Anivia would be second, followed Nidalee.

Now I'm not saying Xin is the best mid character. Not at all. To me that spot goes to Urgot. Second best is Miss Fortune. I would put Xin third though after those two. This is just because I know the capabilities of those two compared to all other chars. Now Renekton seemed to do damn well at mid last night from the other team too. So I'm not sure how good at mid all the newer chars are yet though except Caitlyn. Caitlyn is a good mid though with nice long harassing range and a jump back. But her skill shot is easy to dodge, her dps is only OK, and she is squishie as heck. So She is just above average at mid I think.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
I would maybe put kat before MF in mid, any squishies get torn up. Heim is also good mid, I have killed gankers that tried surprising me as heim.

hydroponik

Oct 2, 2006
Fun games last night :) Duroz seemed to think it was strange when I went to mid with Xin. did a few games yesterday with strife and fenix :) Fun times. I love ripping people up in mid as xin because everyone completely underestimates his burst damage at low levels. I ripped both a Caitlyn and a Brand up as mid. I've tried other chars at mid, such as Vlad, Ashe, Nidalee, Anivia, and some others but seriously Xin is the best mid char I've tried to date. Anivia would be second, followed Nidalee.

Now I'm not saying Xin is the best mid character. Not at all. To me that spot goes to Urgot. Second best is Miss Fortune. I would put Xin third though after those two. This is just because I know the capabilities of those two compared to all other chars. Now Renekton seemed to do damn well at mid last night from the other team too. So I'm not sure how good at mid all the newer chars are yet though except Caitlyn. Caitlyn is a good mid though with nice long harassing range and a jump back. But her skill shot is easy to dodge, her dps is only OK, and she is squishie as heck. So She is just above average at mid I think.

Haha, when I saw Xin going mid, I was like WTF, but I have to admit, that was pretty beast. I’m just curious tho, what runes were you running, and did you go 21 offense for masteries?

When I build my Xin using SOTD and Ghostblade, I don’t seem to get the same burst you were doing. Maybe I’m just doing it wrong lol…

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Had a game today where we were down like 2 to 8 and their mid was like "out played" then every team fight we had we crushed them. Won something like 32 to 15.

Its usually the opposite for me down in ELO hell, we crush them early game maybe kill a tower then teamfight stage comes at levels 9-12 and we get owned because the other team play as a team, we lose towers, dont kill theirs, then we lose the game :(

Wish i could clone myself 4 times then play league of legends with the clones....

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Its usually the opposite for me down in ELO hell, we crush them early game maybe kill a tower then teamfight stage comes at levels 9-12 and we get owned because the other team play as a team, we lose towers, dont kill theirs, then we lose the game :(

Wish i could clone myself 4 times then play league of legends with the clones....

I get both types of games, but I'm level 28 playing normal 5v5 so I don't think I can be in ELO hell. I make it a point to just laugh off bad teammates and move on. It's especially funny when someone terrible starts raging on my team. I'm not that great myself though.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I finally got in a few games yesterday after not playing for a few weeks. Ahh, I missed this game ;p

Oct 25, 2006

You bastard. I had no idea Xin was that good at mid. Shame they quit. It was shaping up to be a really fun game.

nanobreath

May 14, 2008

The game would start with everybody complaining that you took their champion. As soon as they died in the match, would complain that only reason they are dieing is they aren't on their best toon. Then go on how they play that champion way better than you are, and you're buying all the wrong items. Things get progressively worse from there, degenerating into an all out n00b calling brawl.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The game would start with everybody complaining that you took their champion. As soon as they died in the match, would complain that only reason they are dieing is they aren't on their best toon. Then go on how they play that champion way better than you are, and you're buying all the wrong items. Things get progressively worse from there, degenerating into an all out n00b calling brawl.

but then you get to make up with yourself..er..wait...

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Haha, when I saw Xin going mid, I was like WTF, but I have to admit, that was pretty beast. I’m just curious tho, what runes were you running, and did you go 21 offense for masteries?

When I build my Xin using SOTD and Ghostblade, I don’t seem to get the same burst you were doing. Maybe I’m just doing it wrong lol…

For runes I think they were:
HP Quints
Armor Pen
Atk Spd
CDR

I went 21/0/9 but sometimes I go 0/21/9 and still do almost the same damage with a bit more survivability.

The mastery I went with was

Offensive:
3 Crit - 1 AP (tier 1)
4 CDR - 4 Atk Spd (tier 2)
3 sunder armor (tier 3)
2 Attack Damage Boost (tier 4)
3 Crit Strike Damage (tier 5)
1 5% damage (last tier 6)

Utility:
1 Good hands - 3 Perseverance
4 Exp boost gain
1 Utility Mastery

If I'm laning or going mid I'll start with either a vamp scepter or a doran blade. At this point I prefer the vamp scepter. I also take flash and ignite for spells.

For skill selection I go

Q, W, E, Q, W, R, W, Q, W.... basicallly max Q and W first with E last. Get R every time it is available.

For playing as a mid as Xin I do the following.

Constantly move back and forth. Only last hit minions if I think I can get to them without taking too much damage from a ranged harass attack. Watch for skill shot attacks and dodge them as needed. They are usually easy to see coming as most people telegraph they are going to use their skill shot. I also try to keep track of the average cooldown on most skill shots, which is about 10 seconds, and be ready for the next attempt.

I usually let them push once to my tower so that the tower can clear up a minion wave or two. This means on the next push of my minions I will have more minions compared to them. At which point if they are anywhere close, and they always are, then I initiate a charge on them with a Q attack. If they run away I let them. I then minion hit a bit to get HPs back up while they just got blasted down hard. If they don't run away they are screwed. I pop them with ignite and kill them right there.

Things I also do as mid. I NEVER go past halfway. Once I hit level 5 or 6 and they have a jungle I only harass charge and run. I do not chase. I assume everytime that the jungle will come out unless I see the jungle char on the mini map elsewhere. If I am able to see the jungle char then I'll give them a few more hits. I never chase to their tower and I never push.

Also I keep an eye out on the behavior of the other player. When there is another char there to help to try to gank me the mid character always telegraphs it. They rush you. So I run when I see this happen. Especially if they are already low life. By doing so I am only making the jungle char waste time and exps by standing in the bushes waiting for me.

My standard attack pattern is to use E to charge in and Q to pop up. Soon as I see them go up in the air I hit R so I know it hits them. Then I pop W for the attack speed bonus and cool down reduction. Later in the game with my attack speed high enough I can then do another Q in about a second or another charge in about 2 seconds after hitting W. Especially if I have the blue buff.

For items I try to get these as my core.

Merc Treads
Madreds Bloodrazor

These are the core step up items:

vamp scepter
zeal

Depending upon whom I'm playing I will make the following items.

Phantom Dancer
Tri Force
Wits End
Blood Thirster
Black Cleaver
Banshee Veil
Thornmail

I usually have around 2700 hps with 130 armor and 130 MR. When I hit my ult I get another 60 armor and MR. My move speed is around 450ish I think.

The biggest thing for Xin is the attack speed. I try to have it at around 2.0-2.1. When I hit W that usually puts me at the cap of 2.5 atk spd. With madreds, decent AD, and crit percent I rape while draining and healing a bunch of health so long as I keep attacking. Like everyone Xin can be still CC'd and focused down fast though. Which against a heavy CC team I get the Veil to help combat that.

Built this way there isn't a single character I can't 1v1 in the game regardless of their build. The burst DPS and survivability potential are through the roof in 1v1 situations with smart playing.

Which brings me to the downside. This is a team game and my build makes me target number 1 every time in team fights. Which means I need a decent tank on the team to gain agro before I jump in. If that works I will decimate the other team. There is another side to being focused. If my team is still capable without me. I will weaken the entire other team enough that my team can mop them up after my death. So long as I'm not grouped with complete retards I typically will trade my 1 death for 3 or more of the other team.

It is only a problem when my team completely sucks. They have no dps, can't tank, don't know how to use CC correctly, or focus always on the enemy tank. When that happens and I'm focused killed first by the other team then it's pretty much GG.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
What are "core step up items" do you buy those before the core? while building the core? they don't build into bloodrazor.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004
What are "core step up items" do you buy those before the core? while building the core? they don't build into bloodrazor.

those two items seems like they would contribute to Xin's utility/survivability in a lane. So I'd wager 'step up' items are items he may take while building his core items.

a friend of mine who plays Xin regularly (at 1900 elo) has pretty much the same item build choices as HumblePie, except he likes to grab a Wit's End instead of the Madred's.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
well Zeal is a "core" step up item because I always build either a phantom dancer or a tri force. Sometimes both. Meaning I will always get a zeal. I may not always build a phantom dancer or a tri force, but I will do one or the other. It is also a good 1195 spent in the interim.

Meaning I try to go in to go in this order for laning.

Vamp Scepter
Boots- > Merc treads
Madreds Razor, Recurve Bow, Pickaxe -> Madreds Blood Razor
Zeal

I do my first items when laning exactly like that. Always. If I jungle it's a bit different.

Cloth Armor + 5 hp Pots
Madreds Razor
Boots
Vamp Scepter
Merc Treads
Recurve Bow, Pickaxe -> Madreds Blood Razor
Zeal

After the first zeal I may or may not complete it to the next item at this point. It depends on the other team. If the other team is an AP Heavy team then I might go with Wit's End next which is a usual favorite. This then pumps my MR up to 130 range to match my armor.

If they are a very tanky team with tons of armor I might go Black Cleaver next.

If they are a heavy DPS AD team I'll try to complete tri force. Especially if the other team is already focusing me early. That gives me some extra hps and a better chance of catching squishies with escape abilities. If it's an attack speed AD team I'll go for thornmail.

If it's a heavy CC team and I'm being focused I'll go for a Veil.

It all depends. Eventually I'll complete that Vamp scepter into a Blood Thirster. I'll eventually complete the Zeal into a tri force or phantom dancer. Sometimes I'll do both.

For those wondering, I can solo Baron with Xin with this build. I've solo'd him with these items exactly.

Madreds Bloodrazor
Merc Treads
Thornmail
Black Cleaver
Blood Thirster
Zeal

I hadn't completed the Zeal yet but it would have made things easier for sure. But I'm pretty sure I could solo baron with more combinations of the items I listed above for Xin. Not many characters in the game can solo Baron now and he's one of the few I know of.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
I'm going to miss Garen when he's no longer free =*(.

They'd better have him on sale soon.

Oh, and I finally had a few good games with LB, definitely got massive burst damage!

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I'm going to miss Garen when he's no longer free =*(.

They'd better have him on sale soon.

Oh, and I finally had a few good games with LB, definitely got massive burst damage!

Yes she does but nothing compared to Xin :) I was beating a leblanc down at mid and in a 3v3 last night solo every time. Both of them were complaining about it haha. But she is like Ryze, Veiger, Anivia, and somewhat Vlad as well. Huge massive AP burst potential. Just no sustained damage.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
For those that play him how are you running Maokai since his buff?

I didn't expect to but I got a solo lane yesterday and sadly died at level 2 before getting revenge and being respectable after that. I went
9/9/12 ghost + exhaust
Saph crystal + 2 hp pots
Catalyst + Merc Treads
RoA
Banshees
Force of nature (they were very AP heavy).
Abyssal Scepter
Frozen Heart (for CD probably should have been GA)

Mid game he was great and late game he provided utility but not nearly enough damage. I also went q > w > e >e >e > r >e > q >e >w >q > r ...I'm wondering if I can farm well enough with auto-attack that I don't need to max e or will the lack of farm just gimp me long term. The biggest problem was twofold
1. My team loved to hunt for the other team and fight when we walked into their ambush. Thankfully we were slightly better than them early and won most teamfights but they pushed poorly so we ended up eventually losing.
2. Maoki ult is nearly worthless, most fights involved people doing too much running to actually use it.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Yes she does but nothing compared to Xin :) I was beating a leblanc down at mid and in a 3v3 last night solo every time. Both of them were complaining about it haha. But she is like Ryze, Veiger, Anivia, and somewhat Vlad as well. Huge massive AP burst potential. Just no sustained damage.

Well brace yourself because they're nerfing Xin's solo damage in the early game next patch in favor of boosting his late game AOE damage.