League of Legends - F2P MOBA (like DOTA) part 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Well, I can't win against easy bots. Can't even get a single kill against them. Against humans, there's no chance at all. At least against easy bots I usually know why I'm dying (chasing or something). Against humans, I'll be walking along one second and the next thing I know I can't move and there are three guys surrounding me and I'm dead.

I think the game is just too hard for me. There's no way I'm playing against other humans for a long time if I don't even stand a chance against easy computer opponents. The only way I can win is if there are four good players on my team to pick up the slack, but if that's the case, what's the point?

It has a very steep and very long learning curve. You'll be convinced you'll always suck, but it's good to press on. Eventually you'll likely overcome that. It's very good to read up on tips, tutorials, and make sure you're reading over builds for champions you try. I would try a variety of champions, but do give yourself time to become at least slightly familiar with some of them.

It ends up being worth it, IMO.

nanobreath

May 14, 2008
Well, I can't win against easy bots. Can't even get a single kill against them. Against humans, there's no chance at all. At least against easy bots I usually know why I'm dying (chasing or something). Against humans, I'll be walking along one second and the next thing I know I can't move and there are three guys surrounding me and I'm dead.

I think the game is just too hard for me. There's no way I'm playing against other humans for a long time if I don't even stand a chance against easy computer opponents. The only way I can win is if there are four good players on my team to pick up the slack, but if that's the case, what's the point?

Gah you suck, just uninstall. n00b feeder, quit playing!

Am I doing this right? Just get used to it because people are going to say it forever and always. Even after a year of playing you will have people saying this to you whether it is true or not. Just ignore them and play the game and have fun.

Here's a lesson to help you from getting ganked like that. In the bottom right hand corner is the mini-map. Make it a habit to look at it every few seconds. Know the position of all the enemy champions at all times. If one goes missing, assume he is in every single bush. Along the same lines, buy wards. Put them in bushes. In the early game put them in the river bushes on your lane. Mid-game put them in the middle river bushes, at dragon and baron. Map awareness is key to prevent ganks, and be able to set up your own. It sounds like such simple advice, but it is one of the most important parts to the game.

Do not be afraid to play against other humans. Don't forget at your early levels, you will be playing against other new people. When you die, evaluate why you died. Chasing? Overextended? Not staying behind the tank? Face-checking bushes? Focused first in a team fight nothing you could do? Remember that the only way to get better at something is to play against somebody that is better than you.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004

Trust me, I was in those exact same shoes not two months ago. The initial learning curve is STEEP but once you figure out how the game plays it's becomes much easier, trust me. One thing I'll suggest, try LOTS of different heroes. I kept going with those I thought I'd like (usually physical melee) and I typically ended up getting destroyed. I switched to a completely different type of hero (ranged mages) and ended up doing fantastic with them. Just remember, don't over-extend yourself. Get a good lane partner who can look out for you and work with each other.

Don't get frusterated dying to beginner bots, they're smarter than a good portion of the people who play the game, and you're still VERY new to the whole thing.

It has a very steep and very long learning curve. You'll be convinced you'll always suck, but it's good to press on. Eventually you'll likely overcome that. It's very good to read up on tips, tutorials, and make sure you're reading over builds for champions you try. I would try a variety of champions, but do give yourself time to become at least slightly familiar with some of them.

It ends up being worth it, IMO.

+1

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
Oh, and I tried LeBlanc last night, wow...she's very...umm...different. I liked her, but I have absolutely no clue how to use her correctly. Like, whatsoever. Knowing what skills to use in what order is the key for her, something I've no idea about.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005

I agree that if you can't beat the bots you shouldn't play humans, it's a pretty decent litmus test. PM me in game some night and I'll play one with you and try and give you some pointers. That said, learning how to farm creeps & harrass enemy champs without taking too much damage in return is really the key to the early laning phase. Be sure to back if you get too low on hp or use pots. Against humans, it's very very important to watch the mini-map. If 3 of them are unaccounted for and you don't have wards around you you need to retreat to safety. If you do have wards, you need to watch the mini-map to see if they are showing enemies.

I consider Ryze to be the current OP champion and he is rather easy if you build mana + survivability items i.e.:

Saphire crystal + 2 hp pots
catalyst + boots
Tear
Sorc Boots
Banshees or Frozen Heart
other of Banshees / Frozen heart
Archangels
Void Staff (buy before Archangels if needed).

You end up massively tanky and if you don't need on of the Armor / MR due to bad team comp just get a RoA to become even nastier (or use it if they deal lots of true damage). His q is on such a short cooldown that you deal massive damage. I tanked a mordekaiser from full health + shield to dead in just 2.5 rotations yesterday while only taking half my health in damage (I was also better farmed).

I had two quadra-kills in my game as Ryze yesterday ... way too easy.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
+1, Ryze is probably the most OP champion in the game right now. Agree with everything in your build except I'd go Tear before Catalyst (and since he has no runes I might go CDR boots over sorcerer's), but that's just me. They also just dropped the price of Ryze down to 450 IP making him one of the cheapest champions in the game, consider picking him up Luca.

Amazingly, almost no-one seems to use him in bot games.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Had a bad night last night. Won a game, and then lost 3 in a row or so. Me and 2-3 other friends were playing, so we couldn't queue ranked.

Kept getting ridiculous tank teams. For example- amumu, garen, rammus, mordekaiser, and cho gath. I mean, seriously. If it was a ranked game that team never would have existed, because of bans and the other team picking. In a normal it's just stupid, unless we happened to have some serious anti-tank champions we had no way to kill any of them. And we didn't. Seemed like 3 games in a row we got the same sort of all-tank teams.

Normal games make me frustrated a lot more than ranked, I realize. Nothing more annoying than facing some cheesy team that could have easily been countered in draft pick, but which happens to work because you couldn't see it coming in blind pick.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Oh, and I tried LeBlanc last night, wow...she's very...umm...different. I liked her, but I have absolutely no clue how to use her correctly. Like, whatsoever. Knowing what skills to use in what order is the key for her, something I've no idea about.

Q+R+W+Ignite+E+Q=GG to anyone at level 6.

douglasb

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2005

If you're good at skillshots, E > Q > R is a good initiation that should take away a huge portion of health and silence them. Then when they try to run away, hit them with W and by then, E and Q should have recharged, so you can can silence and hold them again. If that doesn't kill them, by that time, someone on your team will probably have shown up to finish the job.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
The R recasts Q which triggers the first Q and then W will trigger the R, so in effect you get a longer silence. This is what I noticed when I played her anyway, people tend to die so fast its hard to pick up on exactly whats happening haha.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
The R recasts Q which triggers the first Q and then W will trigger the R, so in effect you get a longer silence. This is what I noticed when I played her anyway, people tend to die so fast its hard to pick up on exactly whats happening haha.

Oh, for some reason I thought mimicking the Q would only give you one silence, not sure why I thought that. That makes sense though.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Q+R+W+Ignite+E+Q=GG to anyone at level 6.

Yeah I'm trying to decide whos nastiest at level 6? Annie, LeBlanc or Malzahar? Right now I'm leaning toward Annie with Leblanc a close second. I've seen good Malz but the one I played against yesterday died to me (Ryze) at level 6.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Leblanc's can easily top 1000 damage at 6 if you have 3 levels of Q by then. Mind you it is hard to pull off properly as button mashing wont give nearly the same result.

I've switched over to Lee Sin though, because for me he fulfills the same role, burst, but I find his extreme early game and late games to be much better then LeBlanc's. As in levels 2-5 and 14+. LeBlanc is great mid game, but once team fights start it gets hard, because you can't utilize your full combo as it leaves you with no spells haha. So she really suffers in team fights. You trade her E for his Ulty, which in my opinion is a fair trade. He has slightly less burst but can deal out auto attack damage, which is a big help. You trade burst AP for burst AD, which I find teams are typically short on. The skill ceiling is high on both, which is good as I think a lot of people wrote Lee Sin off when he came out, but once you start working him into strats he gets a lot better. This is all strictly imo, I love Leblanc and played her for a while. Still bring her out sometimes if the team needs AP.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I had no problem keeping Brand in check using the unholy power of Anivia.

I'm thinking about picking up Garen. Opinions between him and Trundle?

Same, I totally owned a brand in mid with Anivia the other day. He said I was the first char to give him problems (first time I'd even seen Brand). It almsot seemed to me brands powers were technically the same as Anivia, aside from the ult.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Oh..one other thing. I think the word n00b, newb, nub, etc needs thrown out. Too many noobs using it, they've ruined it.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I had no problem keeping Brand in check using the unholy power of Anivia.

I'm thinking about picking up Garen. Opinions between him and Trundle?

I prefer Trundle but I'm partial to junglers. He is a late game champ that needs some farm while Garen is viable the whole way and halfway decent even without farm. A well placed pillar can make for easy ganks.

nanobreath

May 14, 2008
Same, I totally owned a brand in mid with Anivia the other day. He said I was the first char to give him problems (first time I'd even seen Brand). It almsot seemed to me brands powers were technically the same as Anivia, aside from the ult.

The only person so far that has given me "trouble" on brand is Caitlyn and I had some bad lag that game. Really hurt against a champ like Caitlyn where you need twitch reflexes to avoid being hit just by her autoattack, let alone her skill shot. I imagine Aniva would be difficult as well. It seems he is hurt most by champs that have skillshots that pass through minions.

Aniva is just a bitch to lane against period. The only people who manage okay against an Aniva are those that have built in flashes to avoid the skill shot easier.

My favorite thing about Brand though is he excels even when he isn't in mid. I absolutely hate playing Aniva when I am not in mid. Brand on the other hand I find does just as well when top and bottom. I don't think there is anything similar between their skills. Aniva's stun is great at getting people behind the front lines, stunning ults etc. Brand's is best at chasing, and hitting people in solo fights. His is also far superior in preventing that yi or xin etc from killing you. Aniva's is hard to hit somebody in melee range, while Brand's is great for that. Aniva has sustained group dmg through her ult, and single target burst with q and e. Brand is massive group burst AoE, repeatable in about 6 seconds with an ult that adds even more, and is great at last hitting all those champs you just took 50%+ HP from.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005

Brand is an anti-tank mage, a niche that didn't have someone in it until he came along. Not that he can't be effective against everyone but that's his specialty with his 2% max HP damage passive.

On another note, it seems like Taric can fit into the current environment again. But don't build him pure AP! Laned with a Taric last night who bought Mejai's first and was way too aggressive and unaware. Even when I pointed out to him the incoming gank, he still got caught. He was lucky to be 5/5/1 when we surrendered; most of those kills were me dropping them to a sliver of health and then he'd Shatter.

Last edited:

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Brand is an anti-tank mage, a niche that didn't have someone in it until he came along. Not that he can't be effective against everyone but that's his specialty with his 2% max HP damage passive.

On another note, it seems like Taric can fit into the current environment again. But don't build him pure AP! Laned with a Taric last night who bought Mejai's first and was way too aggressive and unaware. Even when I pointed out to him the incoming gank, he still got caught. He was lucky to be 5/5/1 when we surrendered; most of those kills were me dropping them to a sliver of health and then he'd Shatter.

That guy was terrible. We actually had more kills than them but only 1 tower while they had 4 of our towers down and were tri-lane pushing way too easily. Move speed teemo is f-ing redonculous. I was udyr with 3utility points in move speed, maxxed bear and boots2 and he kited me easily. When I tried to gank he always had shrooms in the bushes. The times we got him I either circled way around him (up to the river while he was at second turret) or anvia hit her stun (which I watched her miss repeatedly when I tried to gank mid). She also killed off two ganks with fail-walls.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
So I looked at the solo queue rankings and there are over 103,000 ranked people. My 1273 ranking leaves me solidly in the 63,xxx range... ugg bottom half.

Kabob

Lifer
Sep 5, 2004
So I looked at the solo queue rankings and there are over 103,000 ranked people. My 1273 ranking leaves me solidly in the 63,xxx range... ugg bottom half.

Nooooooooooob! Wait, I'm lvl 16 playing mostly against bots...

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Caitlyn was alot more fun than Miss Fortune..

In fact..I've heard Cait sucks...I rather dominated with her!