Jewish Tunnels

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
How do you think it would play if, after an incident of say, African Americans doing some stupid or illegal shit, there were all kinds of jokey references to things like corn rows and Kwanzaa all over the cover of a newspaper?
This is the NY Post, they aren't known for being classy or tasteful, are they?

Reactions: pmv

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
How do you think it would play if, after an incident of say, African Americans doing some stupid or illegal shit, there were all kinds of jokey references to things like corn rows and Kwanzaa all over the cover of a newspaper?
I mean I’m pretty sure the Post has done similar things to that in the past. Regardless, to me this is just some fun plays on words.

For what it’s worth I agree with you that there’s been an uptick in antisemitism since the whole Gaza war started, but 1) I think this is all in good fun and 2) fuck the ultra orthodox anyway. Horrible people.

Nov 17, 2019
Question ... and really a question because I don't really know.

Is there any other religious or ethnic group in or around NYC that has their own police and ambulance service?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You should avoid consideration of who you think someone IS when having a debate or discussion with that person. It's an excuse for ignoring the arguments they are making.

With regards to this topic, I have no interest in defending the behavior of religious fundies. They're all pretty much nutballs, to varying degrees. My concern, rather, is more the tone of what I've been seeing on this board since the current Israel/Gaza war started, coupled with the puzzling question of why an incident involving extremists but no violence is of national significance. I can see why it's of some interest locally in NY. What troubles me is my belief that this wouldn't have been a national issue three months ago. Because right now, certain people have an appetite for hearing stories about "Jewish extremism" and inevitably some will link it to what is going on in Israel. Because that is how human brains work, and people on the left are not immune.

oh cry me a river mr. victimhood. as you pointed out, this is in NYC, where we get tons of national news from, in case you haven't noticed - NYC news is the most national local news in the country. second, it's a brawl with police, also lovely news bait, and it's on video. it's a trifecta of the criteria that would make a news story get big.

aren't you the guy that defended the genocide of Palestinians in Gaza in that other thread for quite some time? and that was like 20K deaths ago, how do you feel about that now?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
You should avoid consideration of who you think someone IS when having a debate or discussion with that person. It's an excuse for ignoring the arguments they are making.

With regards to this topic, I have no interest in defending the behavior of religious fundies. They're all pretty much nutballs, to varying degrees. My concern, rather, is more the tone of what I've been seeing on this board since the current Israel/Gaza war started, coupled with the puzzling question of why an incident involving extremists but no violence is of national significance. I can see why it's of some interest locally in NY. What troubles me is my belief that this wouldn't have been a national issue three months ago. Because right now, certain people have an appetite for hearing stories about "Jewish extremism" and inevitably some will link it to what is going on in Israel. Because that is how human brains work, and people on the left are not immune.
If it were a nutjob Christian group digging tunnels under New York, my response would carry the same tone, only the puns would be different.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If it were a nutjob Christian group digging tunnels under New York, my response would carry the same tone, only the puns would be different.
It's pretty clear this guy likes Jewish victimhood. This thread actually offends him but dropping 2,000 lb bombs killing civilians quite indiscriminately is easily justified.

People are pretty sick with where they place their outrage.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I mean I’m pretty sure the Post has done similar things to that in the past. Regardless, to me this is just some fun plays on words.

For what it’s worth I agree with you that there’s been an uptick in antisemitism since the whole Gaza war started, but 1) I think this is all in good fun and 2) fuck the ultra orthodox anyway. Horrible people.

Sure, they probably do stuff like this all the time, but I doubt they make jokes in reference to other cultures, more likely in reference to individuals or small groups not identified as cultural, ethnic or religious. Or maybe they do. I don't read the post that often because it's a Murdoch owned rag.

Just to be clear: I not offended by such jokes as a general matter. But people on the left are known to be hyper-sensitive and ultra-PC. I find it odd that this kind of humor doesn't trip their PC radar as it would when applied to other racial, ethnic or religious groups.

Reactions: fskimospy

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's pretty clear this guy likes Jewish victimhood. This thread actually offends him but dropping 2,000 lb bombs killing civilians quite indiscriminately is easily justified.

You are nothing but slime.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Can we get these guys to work on the 2nd ave subway extension to 125th St?
See now this is funny, post should have a list of work for them instead. Maybe work on some extra drain lines in the tunnels so the trains can run when it rains.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Indeed, and for me it goes deeper than that. I believe thought is fear and I try to maintain a distance between a habit of thinking and putting any stock in the truth i might wish

to imagine it contains.
With regards to this topic, I have no interest in defending the behavior of religious fundies. They're all pretty much nutballs, to varying degrees. My concern, rather, is more the tone of what I've been seeing on this board since the current Israel/Gaza war started, coupled with the puzzling question of why an incident involving extremists but no violence is of national significance.
Your suggestion that you thought your sarcasm was properly functioning made me reexamine my suggestion it might be implying to me what what you refer to as the tone of the board has actually changed since Gaza. I would not say that opinions about Israel have shifted so much as the bombing there has brought the fore both anti Israeli anti Zionist sentiment as well as the usual simmering beneath the surface, antisemitism. I think these two things need to be carefully parsed. Frankly, I have also experienced a sense that you still have suspicions as to whether I am antisemitic despite denying it consistently from forever. However, I do not blame you for being suspicious. And you can't grow up in the US without exposure to such bigotry.
I can see why it's of some interest locally in NY. What troubles me is my belief that this wouldn't have been a national issue three months ago. Because right now, certain people have an appetite for hearing stories about "Jewish extremism" and inevitably some will link it to what is going on in Israel. Because that is how human brains work, and people on the left are not immune.
On the other hand the support in Israel for the bombing of Gaza is strongest among conservative religious Jews connected very closely, I think, to driving government policy. I strongly oppose your argument that what was done would be done by any other government in the same position. That the world is full of sickness does not excuse it in my opinion. Asa I have said, I see the only hope for Israel to lie in the Jewish people of Israel itself, those who oppose what the government is doing and are willing to work for a two state solution to the problem. That happens, in my opinion, by offering a vision of the benefits not by bombing the Palestinians into submission and gradually annexing their land.

I have been introduced to a psychological personality trait referred to as siege mentality. I wonder if that's a thing in psychological literature. I will see what I can find.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sure, they probably do stuff like this all the time, but I doubt they make jokes in reference to other cultures, more likely in reference to individuals or small groups not identified as cultural, ethnic or religious. Or maybe they do. I don't read the post that often because it's a Murdoch owned rag.

Just to be clear: I not offended by such jokes as a general matter. But people on the left are known to be hyper-sensitive and ultra-PC. I find it odd that this kind of humor doesn't trip their PC radar as it would when applied to other racial, ethnic or religious groups.
I agree that this sort of antisemitism is treated differently than posts about black people.I personally think both are stupidity.

And to be clear I think Israel’s action in Gaza is totally justified.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

Oh Jesus H Christ, Not this clown again showing up with the same nasty ole schtick that brings nothing to the fucking conversation other than this coward getting his jolly's on an anonymous message board ... "But I'm getting a lotta "likes and thumbs up" her derr!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Just because I am paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me

Something on siege mentality: https://www.tau.ac.il/~daniel/pdf/28.pdf

I see two problems with having it. On the one hand, we create what we fear with a constant expression of edginess we are under attack and a response from people not even aware that you see yourself as different becoming offended by the implication they are if not openly then secretly hostile.

The other is that those who experience it will be unable to believe others who are in fact not against them at all will ever be trusted or believed. Siege mentality is self selection that one is different which is just egotistical bull shit. The feeling of being hated is defended against by the ego. "They hate me because they envy the fact that I am better."

I would suggest not responding to folk like MrSquished. His moral stance in my opinion is sound. He focuses on all the Palestinian innocents especially children being killed. That is not a moral concern characteristic of slime. He gets an addictive jolt of brain chemicals from his outrage that makes him feel better, not realizing the uselessness of inflicting his pain on others.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Back to the tunnel and people in question.
My understanding is this group wanted after hours access to the synagogue and just made their own secret entrance for that purpose. It is indeed a WTF moment. Maybe meet somewhere else?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Indeed, and for me it goes deeper than that. I believe thought is fear and I try to maintain a distance between a habit of thinking and putting any stock in the truth i might wish

Yeah, you pretty much said as much in a reply during our discussion of whether what Israel's doing is a "genocide." I argued facts, you replied by saying why can't it just be genocide because of my feelings. This is dangerous. It's the same dichotomy of faith v. reason we see in religious debates. The problem with using "faith" or feelings to form conclusions is that once you are unmoored from the requirement of factual proof you can just believe anything then. If I suddenly decide that Muslims are a scourge on humanity and should be wiped out, who is to contradict my opinion when it's based entirely on my feelings? Who is to contradict white supremacists who believe blacks are inferior based on their feels and not on facts?

to imagine it contains.

Your suggestion that you thought your sarcasm was properly functioning made me reexamine my suggestion it might be implying to me what what you refer to as the tone of the board has actually changed since Gaza. I would not say that opinions about Israel have shifted so much as the bombing there has brought the fore both anti Israeli anti Zionist sentiment as well as the usual simmering beneath the surface, antisemitism. I think these two things need to be carefully parsed. Frankly, I have also experienced a sense that you still have suspicions as to whether I am antisemitic despite denying it consistently from forever. However, I do not blame you for being suspicious. And you can't grow up in the US without exposure to such bigotry.

Actually there was only one time I thought that, and it was years ago in a debate about Israel where you suddenly asked if I was Jewish, as if that were at all relevant to whatever point we were debating. One thing that occurred to me was that you would never ask someone about their religion in a debate if it was a different topic and a different religion. And furthermore, I can't recall anyone, in 15 years of posting here, ever asking anyone what was their religion. I doubt you're terribly antisemitic, but you probably adhere to a stereotype about Jews supporting Israel, and it helps you to believe that people who do not agree with you are biased in some manner. Newsflash: everyone has or potentially has biases. Like I said above, focus on the facts and arguments.

On the other hand the support in Israel for the bombing of Gaza is strongest among conservative religious Jews connected very closely, I think, to driving government policy. I strongly oppose your argument that what was done would be done by any other government in the same position. That the world is full of sickness does not excuse it in my opinion. Asa I have said, I see the only hope for Israel to lie in the Jewish people of Israel itself, those who oppose what the government is doing and are willing to work for a two state solution to the problem. That happens, in my opinion, by offering a vision of the benefits not by bombing the Palestinians into submission and gradually annexing their land.

I have been introduced to a psychological personality trait referred to as siege mentality. I wonder if that's a thing in psychological literature. I will see what I can find.

Yeah, I just don't think that's what Israel is doing. I think Israel is responding to terrorist acts the same way any other democracy has. Like I mentioned ad infinitum when I was posting in that cesspool of a thread, the US has killed well over 100K Muslim Arab civilians in the name of responding to 9/11. We actually started a war that lasted 15 years based on lies and false pretenses. And tortured people at Abu Graib. And while that has been criticized, it's never been labelled a genocide. You should think about why one is being labelled genocide and the other is not.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Back to the tunnel and people in question.
My understanding is this group wanted after hours access to the synagogue and just made their own secret entrance for that purpose. It is indeed a WTF moment. Maybe meet somewhere else?
It's a religion, I don't think they can just 'meet somewhere else'.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Oh Jesus H Christ, Not this clown again showing up with the same nasty ole schtick that brings nothing to the fucking conversation other than this coward getting his jolly's on an anonymous message board ... "But I'm getting a lotta "likes and thumbs up" her derr!

Oh look another fan.

I haven't been in that thread in a while but there was a consistent few that were completely defending and rationalizing the Israeli genocide that's happening right now, when it was an even more gentler genocide then. My memory is a little vague cuz I haven't been in that thread for a bit, but I do remember some of the cast. But you weren't very memorable so can you help me out?

Were you one of those fucks too or are you just very sensitive today?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Care to explain how?
Hamas’ attack was an atrocity and they have said they will do it again and again.

There are lots of problems with what Israel has done with Gaza and the Palestinian Territories and Israel deserves huge criticism for them. On no planet does that justify this though.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yeah, you pretty much said as much in a reply during our discussion of whether what Israel's doing is a "genocide." I argued facts, you replied by saying why can't it just be genocide because of my feelings. This is dangerous. It's the same dichotomy of faith v. reason we see in religious debates. The problem with using "faith" or feelings to form conclusions is that once you are unmoored from the requirement of factual proof you can just believe anything then. If I suddenly decide that Muslims are a scourge on humanity and should be wiped out, who is to contradict my opinion when it's based entirely on my feelings? Who is to contradict white supremacists who believe blacks are inferior based on their feels and not on facts?
This is the usual problem I face. What I really mean about feelings being a more accurate way to know truth over intellectualization is not something a thinker vs an intuitive can understand. I am not a buyer into feels, but something I do not think you understand, can’t really understand. What I can offer to convince you of this, then, is nothing.
Actually there was only one time I thought that, and it was years ago in a debate about Israel where you suddenly asked if I was Jewish, as if that were at all relevant to whatever point we were debating. One thing that occurred to me was that you would never ask someone about their religion in a debate if it was a different topic and a different religion. And furthermore, I can't recall anyone, in 15 years of posting here, ever asking anyone what was their religion. I doubt you're terribly antisemitic, but you probably adhere to a stereotype about Jews supporting Israel, and it helps you to believe that people who do not agree with you are biased in some manner. Newsflash: everyone has or potentially has biases. Like I said above, focus on the facts and arguments.
I spent a half hour or so trying to find where I asked you this. I could not find it but far more time would be required to do a somewhat thorough job. All I can say that the reason I may have asked may have had nothing to do with your opinion as to why I did. I’ve no problem with facts and arguments. How do we agree on what they are?
Yeah, I just don't think that's what Israel is doing. I think Israel is responding to terrorist acts the same way any other democracy has. Like I mentioned ad infinitum when I was posting in that cesspool of a thread, the US has killed well over 100K Muslim Arab civilians in the name of responding to 9/11. We actually started a war that lasted 15 years based on lies and false pretenses. And tortured people at Abu Graib. And while that has been criticized, it's never been labelled a genocide. You should think about why one is being labelled genocide and the other is not.
I give a shit about the genocide angle. I’m reading about a trapped population and the deaths of thousands of children. I despise my own government as much as I do the government of israel.

Edit: I found this on the net for what it’s worth:

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
On no planet does that justify this though.
Could you fill in what that and this in your words above refer to? If you mean that the the problems with Israel’s response in Gaza does not justify Hamas terrorism, that is for me a meaningless point. Nothing justifies terrorism. Israel terrorizes the Palestinians and the Palestinians terrorize them back. It’s eye for an eye insanity. The children are dying of adult insanity. This is a war between sleeping machines, brain damaged robots programmed to believe they are justified.