Rant Is anyone else annoyed that Netflix is raising their prices again?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
You have two choices.
Pay it​
Cancel​
Rant, rage, raise your blood pressure, loose sleep, they are not listening. If enough cancel, they will just market differently. If a few bucks a month really effect you that much, why did you have the service in the first place?

OBTW, I have cancelled some services because for me the benefit did not warrant the cost. Netflix does not fall into that category, so I still have it. When I begin to think 'is this really worth it' then I'll cancel... and simply leave it behind.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I noticed that Netflix is planning on kicking off freeloaders with a verification code.

Seems like a bad idea to me. I don't really use my Netflix account much, but the freeloader (who can't afford the service) does. If he can't access it anymore, I probably won't bother keeping the service.

Nov 8, 2012
I noticed that Netflix is planning on kicking off freeloaders with a verification code.

Seems like a bad idea to me. I don't really use my Netflix account much, but the freeloader (who can't afford the service) does. If he can't access it anymore, I probably won't bother keeping the service.

Interesting, have they started this already? Wonder if you can just set multiple devices to receive the code.

I honestly hate the 2FA shit these days where it's presumed that ONE SPECIFIC phone is ALWAYS by your side.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i haven't been subscribed to netflix in a year, but i just got a weird email from them that sounded like someone was trying to gain access

so i tried to change my password

but even though the password change looked successful, my next login would fail. almost like my password change wouldn't stick.

eventually i got so fed up that i resubbed for a month and magically everything with my account started working again

it felt like they caused the problem just to get me to pay them 15$

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Interesting, have they started this already? Wonder if you can just set multiple devices to receive the code.

I honestly hate the 2FA shit these days where it's presumed that ONE SPECIFIC phone is ALWAYS by your side.
I share my NF 4K account with about 3 other households (cousin, 2 nieces) and a break room TV at work.

I can check what they've watched. https://www.netflix.com/WiViewingActivity
Devices used, date and time, location with IP address. - https://www.netflix.com/AccountAccess

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Just turned off Disney+, think I'm going to do it with Netflix too. We just don't watch it that much anymore. Seems dumb to keep them even if price was the same.

I imagine screen time is about to take a serious dip with spring and summer right around the corner. Can't wait to start the garden, go out and do stuff. I think this year may call for a 4 week vacation, last 2 of July, first 2 of August. Maybe all of August come to think of it. Really want to rinse off 2020 best I can.

Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
i haven't been subscribed to netflix in a year, but i just got a weird email from them that sounded like someone was trying to gain access

so i tried to change my password

but even though the password change looked successful, my next login would fail. almost like my password change wouldn't stick.

eventually i got so fed up that i resubbed for a month and magically everything with my account started working again

it felt like they caused the problem just to get me to pay them 15$
Your device probably has Ebola now.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

If you use Authy, the account can be sync'd on multiple phones and desktops.

I don't like sms verification

Edit - I also use google messages in browser for that tho lol. I don't carry my phone around the house often

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I noticed that a lot of the top 10 list shows are fairly low quality kids programming now.

Figures... the 20 somethings who were Netflix and Chillin' 10 years ago now have small kids. They are desperate to entertain them with any content they can find :)

Perhaps this can be their new slogan: "Netflix: slightly less annoying than Minecraft and Roblox gameplay videos on YouTube" :D

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
You know what I would like to see for these price increases? How about some increased video and audio bitrates for all content. I'm tired of the piss-poor audio above all else, and this is largely true for all streaming platforms. I mean, come on, is sub-DVD audio quality really still the standard? On occasion it appears to get to DVD quality. We're talking old-standard AC3 ("Dolby Digital" standard encode) dressed up in a slightly improved compression algorithm often running under 400kbps.

I'm pretty sure the premium tier with 4K content has improved audio bitrates for 4K content, but I haven't found whether that holds true for when content is still delivered at 1080p so I haven't discovered that for myself yet. Anyone here have more insight?

I haven't upgraded to any 4K displays yet and don't plan on it, though I did buy my first two 4K Blu-ray releases because of a deal and I figured might as well start future-proofing the disc library for that time. I'll likely grab a 4K TV when I upgrade to an Atmos setup, so that's not in the near future plans.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I noticed that Netflix increased their prices again this week.

I'm not really mad this time, because Inflation probably made that a necessity. That said, it reminded me that Netflix really hasn't put out a lot of good content recently. The last thing that I watched and liked was Squid Game, and that came out 3 months ago. I guess that I'm canceling my subscription for now.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

I'm not really mad this time, because Inflation probably made that a necessity. That said, it reminded me that Netflix really hasn't put out a lot of good content recently. The last thing that I watched and liked was Squid Game, and that came out 3 months ago. I guess that I'm canceling my subscription for now.
back when i did have netflix (wow shoot 3-4 years ago?) it seems like i would sub then after 2months id have watched all good content so just cancel wait a few months and repeat.. ;/ i signed up forhulu and it is 1$ and i feel like i got ripped off. i dont even watch it after i found out forced 30 second commercial before i can even see if i like what im watching or not. :(

wonder how much netflix cost now. i think it was 8.99 last time for me. 4 users 4k?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
back when i did have netflix (wow shoot 3-4 years ago?) it seems like i would sub then after 2months id have watched all good content so just cancel wait a few months and repeat.. ;/ i signed up forhulu and it is 1$ and i feel like i got ripped off. i dont even watch it after i found out forced 30 second commercial before i can even see if i like what im watching or not. :(

wonder how much netflix cost now. i think it was 8.99 last time for me. 4 users 4k?

The 4 user/4K "Premium" plan is $20 a month now. I always thought that it was BS that you needed to upgrade to Premium for 4K streaming and Dolby Atmos, considering that Disney+ and Apple TV+ offer it for free.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

No love for The Witcher at least?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
No love for The Witcher at least?

I never got into the Witcher series. Not sure why. I forgot about Narcos Mexico, though. I watched that one after Squid Game, and it was decent.

I miss Black Mirror, they haven't made a new episode of that in ages.

Reactions: dank69

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
If they are going to keep raising it every year, I'm going to drop it. It's getting harder to find anything interesting to watch, and it seems I don't watch it much anymore anyways..

Reactions: balloonshark

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Given that I'm uninterested in Netflix's original content, and they charge a stupidly high price for 4K, I'm not likely to jump back on the service any time soon.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I hate paying them to make their own content that they turn around and sell for a profit (digital movies, blu-rays and dvds). Most of the stuff they make is crap and they have a ton of stuff in other languages and having to use subtitles is just annoying. If I can't find a 6 month or 12 month discount sub I'm dropping their service.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I quit Netflix after a lot of years because they make you get a 4 screen subscription to get any 4k content.

That was insulting. I'm a one person household, that will potentially become a two person household at most.

I need one or maybe two screens at once. But really just one screen. Not four. It's ridiculous I have to pay the same price to get 4k as a family of four watching on three plus screens at once when I will only use one.

I emailed them why I left.

I use my sister's login now for Netflix. They use my Apple tv and HBO login

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Do ANY of the other streaming services have a special upcharge for 4K? The only ones I've gotten since I canceled were Disney+ for a month and HBO Max for a month, and they don't.