Rant Is anyone else annoyed that Netflix is raising their prices again?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I use my sister's login now for Netflix. They use my Apple tv and HBO login
Ha. My sister is using my Netflix, HBO and Prime subs plus I picked up Hulu for $1 a month this past x-mas since she was going be switching cell carriers and wouldn't get it for free any more. Her and the kids spend most of their time on Netflix and I may open it once or twice a week.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Do ANY of the other streaming services have a special upcharge for 4K? The only ones I've gotten since I canceled were Disney+ for a month and HBO Max for a month, and they don't.
It does use more bandwidth but I'm not sure it amounts to much these days since no one else charges extra for it.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I quit Netflix after a lot of years because they make you get a 4 screen subscription to get any 4k content.

That was insulting. I'm a one person household, that will potentially become a two person household at most.

I need one or maybe two screens at once. But really just one screen. Not four. It's ridiculous I have to pay the same price to get 4k as a family of four watching on three plus screens at once when I will only use one.

I emailed them why I left.

I use my sister's login now for Netflix. They use my Apple tv and HBO login
more like encouraging sharing, when i had netflix i actually rarely watched it but shared with a friend in NZ and my grandma and a co worker :p i think some of the original content is great and enjoy a new player in real movies.. (six underground is all i can think of but it was a real movie and entertaining) not jus ta str8 to video type.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
I don't mind, since I'm sharing my 4K/Ultra HD Netflix account to about 5-6 people (different households). ;)

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
It does use more bandwidth but I'm not sure it amounts to much these days since no one else charges extra for it.
If I understand this correctly bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

We also give qualifying ISPs the same Open Connect Appliances (OCAs) that we use in our internet interconnection locations. After these appliances are installed in an ISP’s data center, almost all Netflix content is served from the local OCAs rather than “upstream” from the internet. Many ISPs take advantage of this option, in addition to local network interconnection, because it reduces the amount of capacity they need to build to the rest of the internet since Netflix is no longer a significant factor in that capacity. This has the dual benefit of reducing the ISP’s cost of operation and ensuring the best possible Netflix experience for their subscribers.

We now have Open Connect Appliances in close to 1,000 separate locations around the world. In big cities like New York, Paris, London, Hong Kong, and Tokyo, as well as more remote locations — as far north as Greenland and Tromsø, Norway and as far south as Puerto Montt, Chile, and Hobart, Tasmania. ISPs have even placed OCAs in Macapá and Manaus in the Amazon rainforest — on every continent, except Antarctica and on many islands such as Jamaica, Malta, Guam, and Okinawa. This means that most of our members are getting their Netflix audio and video bits from a server that’s either inside of, or directly connected to, their ISP’s network within their local region.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If I understand this correctly bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.

I was reading some comments on Reddit about the different streaming services recently and it got pretty technical but it was pretty much in agreement that Netflix had the best watching experience in regards to providing a consistent quality bit rate. And if your connection slows down, Netflix adjusts the best.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I was reading some comments on Reddit about the different streaming services recently and it got pretty technical but it was pretty much in agreement that Netflix had the best watching experience in regards to providing a consistent quality bit rate. And if your connection slows down, Netflix adjusts the best.
That is one thing good about Netflix. I think they are the only service where you can choose your bitrate/bandwidth.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What they should do is have a central company that rents you this box, and then you can call that company to get Netflix and all the other services on that box, and they manage it as a single account, that way it's only one bill to pay and only one device to manage. I feel that this has been done before... :p

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
No love for The Witcher at least?
Not really for me. I loved Witcher 3 the game, but I have tried twice to get into the Netflix series, and it just does not interest me. Partly I think it is Henry Cavill, one of the most wooden actors I have ever seen, although that kind of fits the Witcher. But Yennifer and Ciri are nothing at all like the characters in the game.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Not really for me. I loved Witcher 3 the game, but I have tried twice to get into the Netflix series, and it just does not interest me. Partly I think it is Henry Cavill, one of the most wooden actors I have ever seen, although that kind of fits the Witcher. But Yennifer and Ciri are nothing at all like the characters in the game.
I hear the show is based on the books, not the games

Nov 20, 2009
It isn't even the first show based on the books. BTW, Netflix having a bunch of foreign content is probably due to the EU requiring a minimum percentage of their European customer offers to be produced locally.

Reactions: killster1

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Not annoyed at all, because I don't pay to stream. Hmm:
  • A few $1 used DVDs that I own forever (converted to .MKV in case DVD drives go away)
vs.
  • Pay a fee every month for the rest of my life (that can goes up randomly with no practical limit forever)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Not annoyed at all, because I don't pay to stream. Hmm:
  • A few $1 used DVDs that I own forever (converted to .MKV in case DVD drives go away)
vs.
  • Pay a fee every month for the rest of my life (that can goes up randomly with no practical limit forever)
If you buy at the right time, you can get brand new 4K UHD movies in the $5-10 range too. I don't own a dedicated 4K player, I just got an external drive set up to rip them. Blu-Rays turn up at thrift stores these days too, often at $2-3. DVDs don't scale quite so well up to modern screen sizes.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't watch enough TV to justify paying per month for anything but I had considered Netflix back when it was $8. Now there's no way I'd bother. Not at $20.

But once in a while I take the old ship out of dry dock, strap on the eye patch and sail the high seas to gather some loot to last me a year or so. I like to try different Linux distros.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I appreciate a lot of good shows I've been able to see because streaming services let companies produce more shows than the traditional cable and broadcast channel models did.

This is a lot better system than what we had before.

You just have to juggle services if you want to save money. But that's not too hard to do.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yup it's kind of annoying they kept bumping up prices. My mom is older now and doesn't work anymore. She's had my Netflix for years now so I can't really cancel it, I'd feel very bad.

My girlfriend shares her Disney plus and Hulu and I had her logins anyway before we moved in together.

My work is now giving us a yearly stipend to use for many things which includes these types of subscriptions so there is that option too or I'll probably use it towards groceries.

I guess if you want to save money you now just have to juggle services and look for subscription deals.

• Haha

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I enjoy Amazon Prime for music & Netflix for videos, considering I basically can’t go out it’s a modest cost for some entertainment. My son, who lives with autism & also seldom goes out has a yearly Xbox subscription. I gift it to him for his birthday, he is such a good son & really enjoys his gaming, he deserves the bit of pleasure it brings him.

I would like to try Disney + but think it a luxury…money that could go towards cat treats or food. I watch a ton of YouTube, love a lot of their history channels & find a lot of their content creators are wonderful. The ads don’t bother me unless they are those 15 minute deals & I can skip over those easily.

Last edited:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Ya, I'll be canceling and getting what content I want via other means.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Netflix might start cracking down on sharing passwords. They are testing in 3 non-US countries now.

Like I said before, I share my password with my sister so her and the kids can have something to watch. If they raise my bill again I'm gone unless she want so to pony up some money. I spend the bulk of my time on HBO Max these days. When I'm on Netfix I spend all my time wading through crap trying to find something to watch only to leave frustrated 30 to 40 minutes later.

Reactions: Pohemi

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
If they're gonna crack down on password sharing, they really need to reconsider their plan structure. I dropped them again for at least 6 months, making my total 7.50 per month.

The fact that the only 4k plan is $20+ but is for 4 TV's is pretty ridiculous IMO. I have one TV, maybe 2 at a time, but not likely.

Where's the single TV 4k plan? $7/ month sounds reasonable.

Hypothetically, Netflix could make it more affordable per individual, but still bring in more money, technically more subscribers, etc..

Reactions: Pohemi

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Seems to me a VPN would fix that. The box that is setup with Netflix could VPN into the same server for everyone that shares the account so it all comes from same IP. As far as they are concerned it's all coming from the same house. The house will suspiciously be inside a data centre though.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante